|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Goody Cloyse doing when something was stolen from her?
2. Where was Goody Cloyse anointed?
3. What is the man in the forest’s reasoning for his answer to what Goody Cloyse asks him for?
4. How does Brown describe the formation of the staff?
5. What does Brown do when he sees Goody Cloyse in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Goody Cloyse get out of the forest?
2. What does the man in the forest say when Brown’s wife is mentioned?
3. How does the man in the forest replace his staff?
4. Why does Goody Cloyse mention wolfsbane?
5. What does Brown do when Goody Cloyse comes on the scene?
6. How does Brown get to the gathering?
7. How does Brown know Goody Cloyse?
8. What does Goody Cloyse ask the man in the forest for?
9. What is the gathering like?
10. What does Brown ask of his wife in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device used a lot in this story. What are some examples of this and how does this affect the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The catechism is mentioned a number of times. What is a catechism and why is this important to Young Goodman Brown?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)