|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Biblical figure used what Goody Cloyse takes from the man in the forest?
2. How does Brown feel when he sees Goody Cloyse in the forest?
3. Why does Goody Cloyse take something from the man in the forest?
4. Where was Goody Cloyse anointed?
5. What does the man in the forest say when he hears who Brown doesn’t want to harm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brown get to the gathering?
2. How does Brown respond to knowing his wife is in danger?
3. What causes Brown to make his vow?
4. Why does Brown feel the way he does about seeing Goody Cloyse in the forest?
5. What do we learn about the man in the forest from Goody Cloyse?
6. Why does Goody Cloyse mention wolfsbane?
7. How does Brown know Goody Cloyse?
8. How does Goody Cloyse get out of the forest?
9. How does Goody Cloyse react to the man in the forest?
10. What does Brown hear when he gets to the gathering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawthorne presents the idea that there are 2 sides to every man. Choose 3 of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Faith does not want Brown to leave at the beginning of the book. Why is this, and what does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
The man in the forest focuses a lot on his staff. What is the significance of this?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)