|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of home does Brown have?
2. What is the think the man in the forest is carrying made of?
3. Where does Brown’s path lie?
4. How does the man in the forest describe his relationship with Brown’s grandfather?
5. How does Brown speak with the man in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange illusion does Brown see while with the man in the forest?
2. Who in town does the man in the forest say he knows?
3. Why is the man in the forest laughing at Brown?
4. What does the man in the forest want Brown to do?
5. Why does Brown think Faith doesn’t trust him?
6. What does Brown admire about his wife as he leaves?
7. What does Brown say that makes the man in the forest laugh?
8. Where is Brown going?
9. Why is Brown so afraid as he enters the forest?
10. Please describe the man in the forest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawthorne presents the idea that there are 2 sides to every man. Choose 3 of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
There are some strong messages sent by the author in this book. What do you think the main message of this story is?
Essay Topic 3
This story is written in the short story format. Why do you think the author chose to present such an intricate story in this format?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)