|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the man in the forest described by the narrator?
2. What does Brown tell his wife not to do as he leaves?
3. How does Brown feel for his wife as he leaves?
4. What is Brown’s wife dreading as he leaves?
5. What public position is under the control of the man in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brown feel when he hears about the people in town who know the man in the forest?
2. What does Brown admire about his wife as he leaves?
3. What is Brown chastised for by the man in the forest?
4. Why does Brown think Faith doesn’t trust him?
5. Who in town does the man in the forest say he knows?
6. What strange illusion does Brown see while with the man in the forest?
7. What does Faith do at the beginning of the book?
8. Why is the man in the forest laughing at Brown?
9. How does Brown feel when he meets with the man in the forest?
10. Where is Brown going?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are some strong religious ideas included in this story. What are some of these ideas and how are they presented?
Essay Topic 2
Goody Cloyse is a very important character in the story. Why is this, and what message does her presence send?
Essay Topic 3
The catechism is mentioned a number of times. What is a catechism and why is this important to Young Goodman Brown?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)