|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man in the forest remind the narrator of?
2. How does Brown’s wife act as he leaves?
3. How long has Brown been married?
4. What is Brown asked before he leaves?
5. What is Brown looking for on his journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the man in the forest know Brown’s father?
2. What is Brown’s response to his wife’s request?
3. What did Brown’s grandfather do to a woman?
4. What did Brown’s father burn down?
5. What does Faith ask of Brown?
6. Why does Brown say he should not be talking to the man in the forest?
7. Why is Brown so afraid as he enters the forest?
8. What does Brown say that makes the man in the forest laugh?
9. What strange illusion does Brown see while with the man in the forest?
10. How does Brown feel when he hears about the people in town who know the man in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colors are mentioned a number of times in the book. What are some of these colors, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 2
This story is written in the short story format. Why do you think the author chose to present such an intricate story in this format?
Essay Topic 3
Hawthorne presents the idea that there are 2 sides to every man. Choose 3 of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)