|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Goody Cloyse live?
2. How does Goody Cloyse react when she sees the man in the forest?
3. Who makes the man in the forest’s staff?
(a) Goody Cloyse.
(c) This is never fully explained.
4. Why does Goody Cloyse leave?
(a) She has done her business there.
(b) All of the above.
(c) She is weak.
(d) She is late to a meeting.
5. What is the man in the forest’s reasoning for his answer to what Goody Cloyse asks him for?
(a) She is too late.
(b) He doesn’t help women.
(c) She still owes him.
(d) He has things to do.
6. Who tells us who the man in the forest is?
(a) None of the above.
(b) The narrator.
(c) Goody Cloyse.
(d) Young Goodman Brown.
7. What does Brown vow to do?
(a) Join the meeting.
(b) Take a stand against the devil.
(c) Help his wife.
(d) Have a child.
8. Where are the people with the animals going?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A prison.
(c) A celebration.
(d) A meeting.
9. What forms when Brown makes a vow?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A tree.
(c) A flame.
(d) A snake.
10. What is Gookin’s title?
11. What does the man in the forest say when Goody Cloyse asks her for something?
(a) He just laughs.
(b) He readily agrees.
(c) He says no.
(d) He changes the subject.
12. Who anointed Goody Cloyse?
(a) The man in the forest.
(b) She never says.
(c) The minister.
13. Why does Goody Cloyse take something from the man in the forest?
(a) So she can get her power back.
(b) Someone stole something from her.
(c) To hurt Brown.
(d) To take his power.
14. What shocks Brown when he hears the men with the horses?
(a) He knows them.
(b) They are involved with deviltry.
(c) He has been seen.
(d) They know the man in the forest.
15. What does Goody Cloyse take from the man in the forest?
(a) His staff.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His map.
(d) His hat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brown call himself as he heads to his wife?
2. What color is the thing that forms when Brown makes a vow?
3. What religion does Brown follow?
4. How does Goody Cloyse describe the person who stole something from her?
5. What happens as the new staff is formed?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)