|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most aimless of the household and periodically plays notes on the xylophone so that Essie can dance?
2. Why might Tony feel the way he does about the Sycamore family?
3. How are the characters introduced?
4. What is Penny Sycamore doing?
5. Where does Tony attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
2. What does Penny comment about Alice? Why? Why might Alice be attracted to this type of man?
3. How does this scene open? How does this continue to reflect the Sycamore family's quirkiness?
4. How does the play open? What does the audience member and reader learn about the family from the set?
5. What strangers arrive after the Kirbys? Why?
6. What has happened to both of the families? What might be the audience's reaction to this news?
7. What does Grandpa do right before dinner? Why does he say this? What might this foreshadow?
8. What unexpected event takes place? How does all the activity prior to this event add to the shock and humor of this event?
9. How does Essie respond to Ed's uncertainty? What does this say about Essie's character?
10. What does Alice declare to her father? Why does she say this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Henderson is an unexpected guest to the home.
Part 1) Who is he? Why is he there?
Part 2) How does Grandpa react to Mr. Henderson's arrival? What is the outcome of this situation?
Part 3) How can both audiences of 1936 and audiences of today relate to this encounter? Would many agree or disagree with Grandpa? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The entire family is arrested.
Part 1) Why? What takes place during their jail time?
Part 2) How does this arrest affect Alice? Does this arrest prove that Alice was right to believe her family could not be accepted in Tony's world? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will the Sycamores and Kirbys be able to move past this incident and become one cohesive family? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)