Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the apartment as Alice and Tony return from their date?
2. Why is what this person shows her important?
3. What do the family members think of Tony?
4. From where does the patriarch of this zany family come home?
5. How does Tony feel about Alice's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandpa persuade Alice to do? How is he able to do this?
2. What does the doorbell announce? What might the audience members be thinking, before it is discovered who has rung the doorbell?
3. How does Essie respond to Ed's uncertainty? What does this say about Essie's character?
4. How is Tony beginning to act more like the Sycamore family? Why?
5. Who is Essie Carmichael? What is she doing in this scene? How does she fit seamlessly into the Sycamore family?
6. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
7. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
8. What strangers arrive after the Kirbys? Why?
9. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
10. How has this family become so quirky and unusual?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Henderson is an unexpected guest to the home.
Part 1) Who is he? Why is he there?
Part 2) How does Grandpa react to Mr. Henderson's arrival? What is the outcome of this situation?
Part 3) How can both audiences of 1936 and audiences of today relate to this encounter? Would many agree or disagree with Grandpa? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The entire family is arrested.
Part 1) Why? What takes place during their jail time?
Part 2) How does this arrest affect Alice? Does this arrest prove that Alice was right to believe her family could not be accepted in Tony's world? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will the Sycamores and Kirbys be able to move past this incident and become one cohesive family? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)