|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patriarch of this zany family?
2. What does Tony's comment about family dynamics foreshadow?
3. What is Penny Sycamore doing?
4. How might Tony's family compare to Alice's?
5. How does Alice respond to Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open? How does this continue to reflect the Sycamore family's quirkiness?
2. What does Alice say to Tony, regarding their relationship? Why does she say this? What assumptions is she making?
3. Describe Grandpa Vanderhof. From where is he returning? What does he enjoy about this activity?
4. How is Alice directing her family? Why is she doing this?
5. How does the play open? What does the audience member and reader learn about the family from the set?
6. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
7. Why is the Grand Duchess at the Sycamore's home? How can the audience members relate to this?
8. What is Grandpa's philosophy on life? How does this relate to the title of the play?
9. Would Tony's family be so accepting of Alice? Why or why not?
10. Why is Ed feeling uncertain about his work? What might this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 1
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Tony and Alice are a couple.
Part 1) How serious is their relationship? How do you know this?
Part 2) What trials and tribulations do they encounter throughout the play, as a couple?
Part 3) Is their relationship likely to last? Why or why not?
Part 4) If you could see this couple in ten years, where would they be and why? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Tony cares about Alice's family.
Part 1) Why does he care about them?
Part 2) What does his desire to be with her family say about his relationship with his own family?
Part 3) What does Tony do to express his feelings towards his family?
Part 4) Would the average person feel so comfortable around the Sycamores? Why or why not? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 2,152 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)