|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice tell Tony she cannot marry him?
2. What does Penny do when the doorbell rings?
3. Why is Mr. Henderson at the house?
4. The curtain goes down temporarily and rises on what scene?
5. Where are Alice and Tony Kirby going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandpa do right before dinner? Why does he say this? What might this foreshadow?
2. What does Grandpa persuade Alice to do? How is he able to do this?
3. How is Tony beginning to act more like the Sycamore family? Why?
4. What is ironic about Alice?
5. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
6. How does Mr. Kirby respond to Grandpa's philosophy? How do the Kirbys and Sycamores begin to become one cohesive family?
7. Describe Grandpa Vanderhof. From where is he returning? What does he enjoy about this activity?
8. What does Donald bring? Why? What is strange about this?
9. How does Essie respond to Ed's uncertainty? What does this say about Essie's character?
10. What is realized about both families? How might this affect Alice and Tony's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. and Mrs. Kirby are Tony's parents.
Part 1) Describe Mr. and Mrs. Kirby.
Part 2) How do they react to Alice's family?
Part 3) How does the commotion and chaos taking place as they enter affect their reaction? What is the purpose of all of this going on as the Kirbys arrive? How does this affect the audience?
Part 4) How do the Kirbys change by the end of the play? Why do the playwrights have them change? How does this express their views of family dynamics and the acceptance of others?
Essay Topic 2
Paul and Mr. DePinna spend a lot of time in the basement.
Part 1) Why are they in the basement?
Part 2) How does this affect the rest of the household and guests?
Part 3) How does this get them and the rest of the household into trouble?
Part 4) Why might the playwrights have created these characters? What or who do they represent in American society?
Essay Topic 3
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)