|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice say to Tony?
2. How does Grandpa challenge Mr. Henderson?
3. How does Alice feel about her family?
4. What does Alice ask her family to do?
5. What takes place at Columbia University?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tony beginning to act more like the Sycamore family? Why?
2. What does Rheba recall? How does this information satisfy the audience?
3. What does Grandpa persuade Alice to do? How is he able to do this?
4. What have Paul Sycamore and Mr. DePinna been doing? Why is this odd?
5. Who is Ed Carmichael? Why are he and Essie a perfect match?
6. What does Donald bring? Why? What is strange about this?
7. What does Alice's father do when she comes into the room? Why does he do this?
8. About what is "You Can't Take It With You?"
9. Why is the Grand Duchess at the Sycamore's home? How can the audience members relate to this?
10. What is ironic about Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. and Mrs. Kirby are Tony's parents.
Part 1) Describe Mr. and Mrs. Kirby.
Part 2) How do they react to Alice's family?
Part 3) How does the commotion and chaos taking place as they enter affect their reaction? What is the purpose of all of this going on as the Kirbys arrive? How does this affect the audience?
Part 4) How do the Kirbys change by the end of the play? Why do the playwrights have them change? How does this express their views of family dynamics and the acceptance of others?
Essay Topic 2
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
The Vanderhof/Sycamore family is very unique.
Part 1) How are they unique?
Part 2) Why do Alice and Tony love them? Why are they such an endearing family?
Part 3) Why might the playwrights have chosen such odd characters for this play? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)