|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice say about everything in the world?
2. Why does Alice feel she has to refuse this?
3. Where does Alice go?
4. What has Grandpa never done?
5. Where does Tony attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Essie Carmichael? What is she doing in this scene? How does she fit seamlessly into the Sycamore family?
2. What does Grandpa persuade Alice to do? How is he able to do this?
3. What does Alice declare to her father? Why does she say this?
4. What does Rheba recall? How does this information satisfy the audience?
5. About what is "You Can't Take It With You?"
6. How might Alice feel after she and Tony part for the night?
7. How does the play open? What does the audience member and reader learn about the family from the set?
8. What are Paul and Grandpa doing in this scene? How is this activity different from what has been displayed in past scenes?
9. What might Tony's words "every couple has challenges with family dynamics" foreshadow?
10. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
Essay Topic 1
Grandpa Vanderhof is the patriarch of the family.
Part 1) What was his previous career? Why does he leave this career?
Part 2) How does this decision affect the rest of the family?
Part 3) Do you agree with his view on life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Henderson is an unexpected guest to the home.
Part 1) Who is he? Why is he there?
Part 2) How does Grandpa react to Mr. Henderson's arrival? What is the outcome of this situation?
Part 3) How can both audiences of 1936 and audiences of today relate to this encounter? Would many agree or disagree with Grandpa? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The entire family is arrested.
Part 1) Why? What takes place during their jail time?
Part 2) How does this arrest affect Alice? Does this arrest prove that Alice was right to believe her family could not be accepted in Tony's world? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will the Sycamores and Kirbys be able to move past this incident and become one cohesive family? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,076 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)