|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the apartment as Alice and Tony return from their date?
2. What is Mr. Henderson's job?
3. On what does Ed work?
4. What is not a good enough reason for Grandpa to part with his money?
5. Why does Paul show Alice his new fireworks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
2. About what is "You Can't Take It With You?"
3. What has happened to both of the families? What might be the audience's reaction to this news?
4. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
5. Why is the Grand Duchess at the Sycamore's home? How can the audience members relate to this?
6. Would Tony's family be so accepting of Alice? Why or why not?
7. What does Donald bring? Why? What is strange about this?
8. What does Grandpa do right before dinner? Why does he say this? What might this foreshadow?
9. How is Tony reacting to Alice's behavior? Why is he reacting this way?
10. How is Alice directing her family? Why is she doing this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the play is significant.
Part 1) To what does "You Can't Take It With You" refer?
Part 2) Whose philosophy is this? What message are the playwrights trying to get across to the audience members?
Part 3) Why would this philosophy be important to the audience when the play opened in 1936? How is it significant today?
Essay Topic 2
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Vanderhof is the patriarch of the family.
Part 1) What was his previous career? Why does he leave this career?
Part 2) How does this decision affect the rest of the family?
Part 3) Do you agree with his view on life? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)