|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice assume Tony will not be able to accept her family?
2. How is the apartment as Alice and Tony return from their date?
3. What is Mr. Henderson's job?
4. Why does Tony ask Alice to do this?
5. Who does Alice find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Alice different from the rest of the family? Describe the interaction between Alice and the rest of the family.
2. What does Rheba recall? How does this information satisfy the audience?
3. What might Tony's words "every couple has challenges with family dynamics" foreshadow?
4. Why does Mr. Henderson appear? How might the audience react to the arrival of this character?
5. What happens when the doorbell rings? How does this add to the comedic feeling of the play?
6. What is realized about both families? How might this affect Alice and Tony's relationship?
7. Why is the Grand Duchess at the Sycamore's home? How can the audience members relate to this?
8. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
9. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
10. About what is "You Can't Take It With You?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Kolenkhov brings a guest.
Part 1) Who is the guest and why has he brought her?
Part 2) Why does the author include this character in the play?
Part 3) Based on this character, what must life have been like for immigrants during the 1930s?
Essay Topic 2
Tony cares about Alice's family.
Part 1) Why does he care about them?
Part 2) What does his desire to be with her family say about his relationship with his own family?
Part 3) What does Tony do to express his feelings towards his family?
Part 4) Would the average person feel so comfortable around the Sycamores? Why or why not? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa Vanderhof is the patriarch of the family.
Part 1) What was his previous career? Why does he leave this career?
Part 2) How does this decision affect the rest of the family?
Part 3) Do you agree with his view on life? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)