|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice find?
2. Why might Tony like Alice's family?
3. Why does Alice love Tony?
4. Who is Penny's daughter?
5. What does Alice Sycamore do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice's father do when she comes into the room? Why does he do this?
2. What is the outcome of Grandpa's tax evasion? What might be the response of audience members?
3. Why does Tony accept Alice's family?
4. How does Mrs. Kirby react to this strange family? How does her behavior make Alice's fears become realized?
5. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
6. How is Alice directing her family? Why is she doing this?
7. How are the characters introduced? Why might the playwright use this technique to present the personalities and quirkiness of these characters to the audience or reader?
8. What does Alice say to Tony, regarding their relationship? Why does she say this? What assumptions is she making?
9. What does the doorbell announce? What might the audience members be thinking, before it is discovered who has rung the doorbell?
10. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa Vanderhof returns from a commencement ceremony.
Part 1) Where was the commencement ceremony? Why does he go to this ceremony?
Part 2) Why might commencement ceremonies be meaningful to Grandpa?
Part 3) What is something meaningful in your own life? Compare and contrast it to Grandpa's interest in commencement ceremonies.
Essay Topic 3
Alice and Tony meet at work.
Part 1) What is Tony's job? What is Alice's job? How does this make them compatible?
Part 2) Ironically, how does Alice's career make her odd, compared to the rest of her family?
Part 3) What draws Tony to Alice's family and vice versa? What are they lacking in their own lives that makes them fond of each other's families?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)