|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice feel when she tells Tony she cannot marry him?
2. Why are the family members interrupting Alice and Tony?
3. Where does Tony attend college?
4. What does Alice initially refuse?
5. What takes place at Columbia University?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the characters introduced? Why might the playwright use this technique to present the personalities and quirkiness of these characters to the audience or reader?
2. Describe Grandpa Vanderhof. From where is he returning? What does he enjoy about this activity?
3. Describe Rheba and her actions in this scene. Why do the playwrights say she is African American? Could someone who is not African American play this role?
4. How might Alice feel after she and Tony part for the night?
5. Describe the dinner. How does this begin to heal the wounds of the night before?
6. What has this embarrassing incident done to Alice? How would you feel, if you were Alice?
7. How is Tony reacting to Alice's behavior? Why is he reacting this way?
8. What does Penny comment about Alice? Why? Why might Alice be attracted to this type of man?
9. How does Mr. Kirby respond to Grandpa's philosophy? How do the Kirbys and Sycamores begin to become one cohesive family?
10. Why does Mr. Henderson appear? How might the audience react to the arrival of this character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ed is a very unique individual.
Part 1) What does he do for a living? What unique hobbies does he have?
Part 2) How does he put these hobbies to use?
Part 3) Would most average adults take him seriously in any of his work or hobbies? Why or why not?
Part 4) How does his behavior and interests follow Grandpa's philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
Tony cares about Alice's family.
Part 1) Why does he care about them?
Part 2) What does his desire to be with her family say about his relationship with his own family?
Part 3) What does Tony do to express his feelings towards his family?
Part 4) Would the average person feel so comfortable around the Sycamores? Why or why not? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)