|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the family members interrupting Alice and Tony?
2. Who is Penny's daughter?
3. How are the characters introduced?
4. Whose son is Tony?
5. What must Alice and Tony do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Tony's words "every couple has challenges with family dynamics" foreshadow?
2. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
3. How is Tony beginning to act more like the Sycamore family? Why?
4. Who is Ed Carmichael? Why are he and Essie a perfect match?
5. How does Mr. Kirby respond to Grandpa's philosophy? How do the Kirbys and Sycamores begin to become one cohesive family?
6. Would Tony's family be so accepting of Alice? Why or why not?
7. What does Rheba recall? How does this information satisfy the audience?
8. How is Tony reacting to Alice's behavior? Why is he reacting this way?
9. What does Penny comment about Alice? Why? Why might Alice be attracted to this type of man?
10. What unexpected event takes place? How does all the activity prior to this event add to the shock and humor of this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play takes place in Grandpa Vanderhof's livingroom.
Part 1) How does the play open?
Part 2) How does the audience or reader learn about each character? Is this an effective introduction to each character? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why might the playwrights have introduced them in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Ed is followed by a strange man.
Part 1) Who is this man? Why is he following Ed?
Part 2) How could audience members at the time this play is written relate to this?
Part 3) What role does this man play in the chaos and humiliation of the Kirbys towards the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Tony and Alice are a couple.
Part 1) How serious is their relationship? How do you know this?
Part 2) What trials and tribulations do they encounter throughout the play, as a couple?
Part 3) Is their relationship likely to last? Why or why not?
Part 4) If you could see this couple in ten years, where would they be and why? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 2,054 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)