|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Alice compared to the rest of her family?
2. How does Alice feel about Tony?
3. How might Tony feel about being interrupted by Alice's family members?
4. Where does Tony attend college?
5. What scenario mirrors the challenges of the American family endured during the dire economic times of the Depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene become more confusing? How would this add more stress to Alice's already stressed-out life?
2. What does this scenario about Alice's love for her unique family mirror?
3. How does Grandpa relieve Mr. Kirby's fears? How does this also relieve the tension between the two families.
4. What does Alice's father do when she comes into the room? Why does he do this?
5. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
6. What does Grandpa do right before dinner? Why does he say this? What might this foreshadow?
7. What has this embarrassing incident done to Alice? How would you feel, if you were Alice?
8. Describe the dinner. How does this begin to heal the wounds of the night before?
9. Why does Tony accept Alice's family?
10. How is Alice different from the rest of the family? Describe the interaction between Alice and the rest of the family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire family is arrested.
Part 1) Why? What takes place during their jail time?
Part 2) How does this arrest affect Alice? Does this arrest prove that Alice was right to believe her family could not be accepted in Tony's world? Why or why not?
Part 3) Will the Sycamores and Kirbys be able to move past this incident and become one cohesive family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)