|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the apartment as Alice and Tony return from their date?
2. Why is what this person shows her important?
3. What do the family members think of Tony?
4. From where does the patriarch of this zany family come home?
5. How does Tony feel about Alice's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grandpa persuade Alice to do? How is he able to do this?
2. What does the doorbell announce? What might the audience members be thinking, before it is discovered who has rung the doorbell?
3. How does Essie respond to Ed's uncertainty? What does this say about Essie's character?
4. How is Tony beginning to act more like the Sycamore family? Why?
5. Who is Essie Carmichael? What is she doing in this scene? How does she fit seamlessly into the Sycamore family?
6. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
7. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
8. What strangers arrive after the Kirbys? Why?
9. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
10. How has this family become so quirky and unusual?
Essay Topic 1
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Tony's parents are significant characters.
Part 1) What do they represent? How can the audience member and reader relate to them?
Part 2) Compare and contrast them to the Vanderhof/Sycamore family.
Part 3) How do the Kirbys change throughout the play? Why?
Part 4) How do you feel about this change in them? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Ed is followed by a strange man.
Part 1) Who is this man? Why is he following Ed?
Part 2) How could audience members at the time this play is written relate to this?
Part 3) What role does this man play in the chaos and humiliation of the Kirbys towards the end of the play?
This section contains 2,091 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)