|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice declare this?
2. What does Grandpa enjoy doing?
3. What does Tony ask Alice to do?
4. Why is Mr. Henderson at the house?
5. Why does Alice wonder if a visitor has arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is realized about both families? How might this affect Alice and Tony's relationship?
2. What strangers arrive after the Kirbys? Why?
3. Why is Ed feeling uncertain about his work? What might this foreshadow?
4. What unexpected event takes place? How does all the activity prior to this event add to the shock and humor of this event?
5. How does Mr. Kirby respond to Grandpa's philosophy? How do the Kirbys and Sycamores begin to become one cohesive family?
6. What does Alice's father do when she comes into the room? Why does he do this?
7. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
8. What does the doorbell announce? What might the audience members be thinking, before it is discovered who has rung the doorbell?
9. How does Grandpa relieve Mr. Kirby's fears? How does this also relieve the tension between the two families.
10. How is Tony beginning to act more like the Sycamore family? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa Vanderhof is the patriarch of the family.
Part 1) What was his previous career? Why does he leave this career?
Part 2) How does this decision affect the rest of the family?
Part 3) Do you agree with his view on life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alice and Tony meet at work.
Part 1) What is Tony's job? What is Alice's job? How does this make them compatible?
Part 2) Ironically, how does Alice's career make her odd, compared to the rest of her family?
Part 3) What draws Tony to Alice's family and vice versa? What are they lacking in their own lives that makes them fond of each other's families?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)