|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony remind Alice?
2. How does the reader or audience member know that this room serves more than one purpose?
3. What must Alice and Tony do?
4. Why does Alice wonder if a visitor has arrived?
5. The curtain goes down temporarily and rises on what scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tony disagree with Alice? Why is he able to accept her family?
2. Does Tony decide to stay or go? Why?
3. Why does Alice relent?
4. What does Grandpa persuade Alice to do? How is he able to do this?
5. What does Alice's father do when she comes into the room? Why does he do this?
6. Why is the Grand Duchess at the Sycamore's home? How can the audience members relate to this?
7. How does Mr. Kirby respond to Grandpa's philosophy? How do the Kirbys and Sycamores begin to become one cohesive family?
8. What happens before Tony and Alice part? What does this show about their relationship?
9. What does Alice declare to her father? Why does she say this?
10. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Henderson is an unexpected guest to the home.
Part 1) Who is he? Why is he there?
Part 2) How does Grandpa react to Mr. Henderson's arrival? What is the outcome of this situation?
Part 3) How can both audiences of 1936 and audiences of today relate to this encounter? Would many agree or disagree with Grandpa? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. and Mrs. Kirby are Tony's parents.
Part 1) Describe Mr. and Mrs. Kirby.
Part 2) How do they react to Alice's family?
Part 3) How does the commotion and chaos taking place as they enter affect their reaction? What is the purpose of all of this going on as the Kirbys arrive? How does this affect the audience?
Part 4) How do the Kirbys change by the end of the play? Why do the playwrights have them change? How does this express their views of family dynamics and the acceptance of others?
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)