|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Grandpa challenge Mr. Henderson?
2. Why does Alice declare this?
3. What occurs in the basement?
4. Why is what this person shows her important?
5. Why is Essie Carmichael making candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tony reacting to Alice's behavior? Why is he reacting this way?
2. What might Tony's words "every couple has challenges with family dynamics" foreshadow?
3. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
4. How might Alice feel after she and Tony part for the night?
5. Why is Ed feeling uncertain about his work? What might this foreshadow?
6. Would Tony's family be so accepting of Alice? Why or why not?
7. How does the play open? What does the audience member and reader learn about the family from the set?
8. Describe Rheba and her actions in this scene. Why do the playwrights say she is African American? Could someone who is not African American play this role?
9. What does this scenario about Alice's love for her unique family mirror?
10. How does the family respond to this crisis? How does this prolong the hilarity of this scene for the audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony and Alice are a couple.
Part 1) How serious is their relationship? How do you know this?
Part 2) What trials and tribulations do they encounter throughout the play, as a couple?
Part 3) Is their relationship likely to last? Why or why not?
Part 4) If you could see this couple in ten years, where would they be and why? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Essie and Penny are interested in the arts.
Part 1) What art form does Essie study? In what art forms does Penny participate?
Part 2) Describe these two characters' artistic endeavors. Are they very successful? Do they take themselves and their art seriously? Do others take them seriously? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) Why do the playwrights have the arts as an important aspect of this play? What message are they trying to convey to the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Ton's parents arrive a day early to dinner.
Part 1) Why? What is Alice's reaction?
Part 2) How does the family try to make the best of the situation? Are they successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is their arrival disastrous for the other characters? Does their early arrival weaken or strengthen the family? Why?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)