|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does Penny comment?
(a) Alice's huge smile.
(b) Alice's new shoes.
(c) The new dress Alice is wearing.
(d) Alice's makeup.
2. What does Alice Sycamore do for a living?
(a) She is a secretary at a Wall Street firm.
(b) She sells candy with Ed.
(c) She is a banker in a firm on Wall Street.
(d) She makes fireworks with her father.
3. From where do Paul Sycamore and Mr. DePinna emerge?
(a) The second floor.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The basement.
(d) The garage.
4. From where does the patriarch of this zany family come home?
(a) Work at a bank.
(b) The basement making fireworks.
(c) Attending a commencement ceremony.
(d) Selling candy.
5. Why must the two part for the evening?
(a) Alice's family does not like Tony.
(b) It is late.
(c) They have broken up.
(d) They are in an argument.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Penny assume about the man standing in the doorway?
2. What do the family members think of Tony?
3. How does Mr. Henderson leave?
4. Why does Tony ask Alice to do this?
5. Why is Essie Carmichael making candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open? How does this continue to reflect the Sycamore family's quirkiness?
2. What does Penny comment about Alice? Why? Why might Alice be attracted to this type of man?
3. How is Tony reacting to Alice's behavior? Why is he reacting this way?
4. How might Alice feel after she and Tony part for the night?
5. What happens when the doorbell rings? How does this add to the comedic feeling of the play?
6. How does Essie respond to Ed's uncertainty? What does this say about Essie's character?
7. How is the household continuing as usual that evening? How are the characters even more strange than initially thought?
8. How does Grandpa challenge Mr. Henderson? How does Mr. Henderson handle this? With whom is the audience more likely to side, Grandpa or Mr. Henderson? Why?
9. What is ironic about Alice?
10. What does Alice's father do when she comes into the room? Why does he do this?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)