|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about the apartment?
(a) The windows are boarded up.
(b) Everyone is in the same room.
(c) There are unusual noises throughout the apartment.
(d) It is quiet.
2. What do the authors show, despite the difficulties and differences in Alice's family?
(a) Her love for the family.
(b) Tony dislike of the family.
(c) They Kirby's love for the family.
(d) The family's love for the Kirbys.
3. Who does Alice think the visitor might be?
(a) A neighbor.
4. What has Grandpa never done?
(a) Paid any income taxes.
(b) Paid parking tickets.
(d) Participated in jury duty.
5. What does Penny assume about the man standing in the doorway?
(a) He is Alice's date.
(b) He is the neighbor.
(c) He is looking for Ed.
(d) He is from the IRS.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice respond to Tony?
2. How does Mr. Henderson leave?
3. How does the couple act?
4. Whose son is Tony?
5. What is Ironic about Alice's refusal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandpa's philosophy on life? How does this relate to the title of the play?
2. What might Tony's words "every couple has challenges with family dynamics" foreshadow?
3. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
4. Describe Rheba and her actions in this scene. Why do the playwrights say she is African American? Could someone who is not African American play this role?
5. What are Paul and Grandpa doing in this scene? How is this activity different from what has been displayed in past scenes?
6. How might Alice feel after she and Tony part for the night?
7. What do Alice and Tony do after they return from their date? What does this show about their relationship?
8. How are the characters introduced? Why might the playwright use this technique to present the personalities and quirkiness of these characters to the audience or reader?
9. How does Penny try to ease tension? Why does this not work?
10. Why is Ed feeling uncertain about his work? What might this foreshadow?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)