|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scares Mr. Henderson out of the apartment without another word?
(a) The shaking of the floor from the earthquake.
(b) The explosion.
(c) Grandpa yelling at him.
(d) The flood that is now coming into the living room.
2. What must Alice and Tony do?
(a) Part for the evening.
(b) Say goodbye and end their relationship.
(c) Get packed to run away.
(d) Face her family.
3. Why is what this person shows her important?
(a) It is a book that has been in the family for generations.
(b) It is a painting of Alice.
(c) It is a dance that Essie has choreographed.
(d) It his most recent fireworks masterpiece.
4. Where does Tony attend college?
(a) Northwestern University.
(c) Columbia University.
(d) Cambridge University in England.
5. What does Penny assume about the man standing in the doorway?
(a) He is looking for Ed.
(b) He is from the IRS.
(c) He is the neighbor.
(d) He is Alice's date.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the family members interrupting Alice and Tony?
2. What is not a good enough reason for Grandpa to part with his money?
3. What do the authors show, despite the difficulties and differences in Alice's family?
4. To what has Grandpa not responded?
5. Who passes Mr. Henderson in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would Tony's family be so accepting of Alice? Why or why not?
2. What does Grandpa do right before dinner? Why does he say this? What might this foreshadow?
3. Is Tony able to change Alice's mind? To what does Alice agree? Why does she change her mind?
4. How does Tony disagree with Alice? Why is he able to accept her family?
5. Describe the dinner. How does this begin to heal the wounds of the night before?
6. What does Alice declare to her father? Why does she say this?
7. Who is Essie Carmichael? What is she doing in this scene? How does she fit seamlessly into the Sycamore family?
8. How is Alice different from the rest of the family? Describe the interaction between Alice and the rest of the family.
9. What do these strangers uncover? To what does this lead?
10. What unexpected event takes place? How does all the activity prior to this event add to the shock and humor of this event?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)