|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mr. Henderson at the house?
(a) He is Alice's date.
(b) He has come to speak to Grandpa.
(c) He is coming for dinner.
(d) He has some of the Sycamore's mail.
2. How does the couple act?
(d) Tenderly romantic.
3. What does Alice Sycamore do for a living?
(a) She is a secretary at a Wall Street firm.
(b) She is a banker in a firm on Wall Street.
(c) She makes fireworks with her father.
(d) She sells candy with Ed.
4. How does Alice feel about her family?
(a) She loves them and wants them to accept Tony.
(b) She loves them but is willing to leave them to be with Tony.
(c) She is annoyed with their strange behavior and wants nothing to do with them.
(d) She loves them too much to ever cut them out of her life.
5. What does Alice ask her family to do?
(a) To keep Tony away from her.
(b) To please behave tonight.
(c) To leave the house.
(d) To hide in their rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the cluttered and chaotic living room of Grandpa Vanderhof?
2. What does Penny assume about the man standing in the doorway?
3. Why does Tony ask Alice to do this?
4. How does Tony feel about Alice's family?
5. How does Alice feel about Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alice declare to her father? Why does she say this?
2. What strangers arrive after the Kirbys? Why?
3. How does Mrs. Kirby react to this strange family? How does her behavior make Alice's fears become realized?
4. How does Mr. Kirby respond to Grandpa's philosophy? How do the Kirbys and Sycamores begin to become one cohesive family?
5. How is Alice different from the rest of the family? Describe the interaction between Alice and the rest of the family.
6. How is the household continuing as usual that evening? How are the characters even more strange than initially thought?
7. What have Paul Sycamore and Mr. DePinna been doing? Why is this odd?
8. What does this scenario about Alice's love for her unique family mirror?
9. Who is Ed Carmichael? Why are he and Essie a perfect match?
10. Describe Rheba and her actions in this scene. Why do the playwrights say she is African American? Could someone who is not African American play this role?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)