|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice declare?
(a) The fireworks' red glow is beautiful.
(b) The dance is beautiful.
(c) The painting is the most beautiful one she has ever seen.
(d) She wants to begin reading the book immediately.
2. What does Alice reveal about her evening?
(a) She is going to a movie with friends.
(b) She is going to a concert.
(c) She is going out on a date with Tony Kirby.
(d) She is working late.
3. Why are the family members interrupting Alice and Tony?
(a) They like to be bothersome.
(b) They want to be the center of attention.
(c) They do not want Tony to date Alice.
(d) They love them and want the couple to feel a part of the family.
4. Where does Alice go to get ready for her date?
(a) In the office.
(b) In her own home.
(c) In the basement.
5. What does Alice agree to do?
(a) Marry Tony.
(b) Forget about Tony.
(c) Leave her family.
(d) Run away with Tony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the authors show, despite the difficulties and differences in Alice's family?
2. Why is what this person shows her important?
3. Why does Alice feel she has to refuse this?
4. Who has come for dinner with the Sycamore family?
5. What does Tony remind Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this scenario about Alice's love for her unique family mirror?
2. Does Tony decide to stay or go? Why?
3. What does Alice say to Tony, regarding their relationship? Why does she say this? What assumptions is she making?
4. Would Tony's family be so accepting of Alice? Why or why not?
5. How is the household continuing as usual that evening? How are the characters even more strange than initially thought?
6. Who is Essie Carmichael? What is she doing in this scene? How does she fit seamlessly into the Sycamore family?
7. What does Grandpa do right before dinner? Why does he say this? What might this foreshadow?
8. What happens before Tony and Alice part? What does this show about their relationship?
9. What does the doorbell announce? What might the audience members be thinking, before it is discovered who has rung the doorbell?
10. How does Mrs. Kirby react to this strange family? How does her behavior make Alice's fears become realized?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)