|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tony mention about his family?
(a) They are perfect.
(b) They are better than Alice's family.
(c) They are also very odd.
(d) Everyone has difficulty with family dynamics.
2. What does Alice say to Tony?
(d) Come in.
3. What might be some of the unusual noises heard throughout the apartment?
(a) A party in the basement.
(b) Creaking of the old house.
(c) The construction of fireworks.
4. Why are the family members interrupting Alice and Tony?
(a) They like to be bothersome.
(b) They want to be the center of attention.
(c) They love them and want the couple to feel a part of the family.
(d) They do not want Tony to date Alice.
5. How might Tony feel about being interrupted by Alice's family members?
(a) Content and not bothered.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the characters introduced?
2. From where does Penny's daughter arrive?
3. Where are Alice and Tony Kirby going?
4. Where does Alice go to get ready for her date?
5. What has Grandpa never done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Henderson appear? How might the audience react to the arrival of this character?
2. How does Mrs. Kirby react to this strange family? How does her behavior make Alice's fears become realized?
3. About what is "You Can't Take It With You?"
4. How has this family become so quirky and unusual?
5. Why is the Grand Duchess at the Sycamore's home? How can the audience members relate to this?
6. Describe Rheba and her actions in this scene. Why do the playwrights say she is African American? Could someone who is not African American play this role?
7. How does Tony disagree with Alice? Why is he able to accept her family?
8. Why does Tony accept Alice's family?
9. What do Alice and Tony do after they return from their date? What does this show about their relationship?
10. Who is Essie Carmichael? What is she doing in this scene? How does she fit seamlessly into the Sycamore family?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)