|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Paul's fireworks operation uncovered?
(a) The house explodes.
(b) The Kirbys go into the basement by mistake.
(c) The men search the house for Communist propaganda.
(d) He shows his fireworks to the men.
2. Why do Rheba and Donald feel compassion for the Kirbys?
(a) They are not comfortable with disruptions to their schedules, let alone the public humiliation of arrest.
(b) Their son is marrying into the Sycamore family.
(c) They are kind people who did not deserve to be punished along with the Sycamores.
(d) They are normal people who have now gotten themselves involved with a very unusual family.
3. What adds to the confusion in the house?
(a) Mr. Kolenkhov arrives with his friend Grand Duchess Olga.
(b) Grandpa decides to move out.
(c) The house explodes again.
(d) Mr. Henderson arrives to collect the tax money from Grandpa.
4. What is Penny doing as the scene opens?
(a) Working on a script.
(c) Painting a self-portrait.
(d) Talking to an actress.
5. What do Ed and Donald do?
(a) Hide in the basement.
(b) Begin to cry.
(c) Run to the corner grocery to buy some suitable dinner items.
(d) Give the Kerbys enormous hugs.
6. What can the pursuit of money be?
(a) Only for the strong-willed.
(b) Very exciting.
(c) An especially empty life.
(d) Very rewarding.
7. How does Mr. Kirby feel about Grandpa's philosophizing?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is touched.
(d) He is annoyed.
8. Why does Penny change into her artist costume?
(a) She wants to play dress-up.
(b) Penny is going to paint a portrait of Tony.
(c) She is enthused at the prospect of a new creative outlet.
(d) Essie wants to take a photograph of her in her costume.
9. What does Olga offer to do?
(a) Give Essie lessons for free.
(b) Perform for the family.
(c) Give ballet lessons to the entire family.
(d) Make blintzes for the dinner.
10. Of what does Grandpa remind Mr. Kirby?
(a) Tony will come back to his job at the firm when he is ready.
(b) He did not start off wealthy.
(c) Life should be enjoyed.
(d) He had once had a well-paying career.
11. What does the family have for the guest(s)?
(a) A trivia game.
(b) Nothing available to serve the Kirbys on such short notice.
(c) A beautifully cooked meal.
(d) New menus with many entrees from which to choose.
12. For what does Tony plea?
(a) To be released from jail.
(b) To speak to his fiancee.
(c) To go home.
(d) To end the engagement.
13. In what does Tony remain undaunted?
(a) His vigil to reach Alice before she leaves.
(b) His need to end the relationship.
(c) His love for his family.
(d) His desire to go home.
14. What has the Grand Duchess not had since leaving Russia?
(a) A ballet pupil.
(b) A vacation.
(c) A good meal.
(d) An English lesson.
15. What is Mr. Kirby's reaction to this announcement?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Grandpa's philosophizing, what does Mr. Kirby decide to do?
2. Why will Tony not leave?
3. Why does Paul descend again into the basement?
4. Who is Gay Wellington?
5. Where might Tony have gotten the idea to leave the firm?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)