|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Penny change into her artist costume?
(a) She is enthused at the prospect of a new creative outlet.
(b) Penny is going to paint a portrait of Tony.
(c) She wants to play dress-up.
(d) Essie wants to take a photograph of her in her costume.
2. Why does this surprise turn of events occur?
(a) Mr. Kirby believes his wife acted irrationally.
(b) The fireworks in the basement were accidently ignited.
(c) The men want to arrest Ed.
(d) Mrs. Kirby feels sorry for the Sycamore family.
3. What does the word game reveal?
(a) The Kirby's excitement about being at the Sycamore's home.
(b) The Kirbys' hidden emotions.
(c) The Kirbys' happiness about Tony's engagement to Alice.
(d) How happy Alice is to have the Kirbys at her home.
4. What has the Grand Duchess not had since leaving Russia?
(a) An English lesson.
(b) A good meal.
(c) A vacation.
(d) A ballet pupil.
5. What does Donald read in the next day's paper?
(a) His horoscope.
(b) A story about an explosion in town.
(c) A story about last night's arrest.
(d) A story about the decrease in the unemployment rate.
6. Why do Rheba and Donald feel compassion for the Kirbys?
(a) They are normal people who have now gotten themselves involved with a very unusual family.
(b) They are kind people who did not deserve to be punished along with the Sycamores.
(c) They are not comfortable with disruptions to their schedules, let alone the public humiliation of arrest.
(d) Their son is marrying into the Sycamore family.
7. What has Grand Duchess Olga done for the family?
(a) Prepared blintzes.
(b) Sung a song in Russian.
(c) Painted a family portrait.
(d) Performed a ballet solo.
8. Why is the visit unexpected?
(a) They have come one night too early for their dinner invitation.
(b) Grandpa thought he had chased him away for good.
(c) He was supposed to work late.
(d) She had forgotten her gin bottle in the living room.
9. What does Tony decide to do?
(a) Go with his parents.
(c) Stay with Alice and her family.
(d) End his engagement to Alice.
10. What had Penny begun for Mr. DePinna?
(a) A dance.
(b) New fireworks.
(c) A script.
(d) A painting.
11. Why is Gay Wellington at the home?
(a) She has come to the apartment to read for one of Penny's plays.
(b) She is visiting her family.
(c) She is borrowing a cup of sugar.
(d) She is visiting her nephew.
12. What is contrasting about the guest(s) and the Sycamores?
(a) Tony is nervous, while the Sycamores are relaxed and amiable.
(b) Mr. Henderson is very angry, while the Sycamores are cheerful and pleasant.
(c) The formal dress of Mr. and Mrs. Kirby starkly contrasts with the Sycamores and their houseguests.
(d) Gay Wellington is stumbling around the room, while the Sycamores are quietly working on individual projects.
13. Who will stay at least through dinner?
(a) The agency men.
(b) Mr. Henderson.
(d) Mr. Kirby.
14. What is Grandpa doing, amid all the chaos in the room?
(a) He is reading a book.
(b) He throws feather darts at a target.
(c) He is taking a nap.
(d) He is putting together a puzzle.
15. What is not appropriate about what Ed and Donald do?
(a) Adult men should not cry.
(b) The Kirbys are embarrassed by the embrace.
(c) Nothing they buy is appropriate for the occasion.
(d) They have houseguests and should not hide in the basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice feel about last night's events?
2. How does Mr. Kirby react when Tony tells him he plans to leave the family firm?
3. What is Penny doing as the scene opens?
4. Why will Tony not leave?
5. When had Penny begun this for Mr. DePinna?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)