|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Paul's fireworks operation uncovered?
(a) He shows his fireworks to the men.
(b) The Kirbys go into the basement by mistake.
(c) The men search the house for Communist propaganda.
(d) The house explodes.
2. What happens to all thirteen people of the household, including the Kirbys?
(a) They receive suspended sentences for their alleged contributions in making fireworks without a permit.
(b) They are put under house arrest.
(c) They are fined for the illegal production of firearms.
(d) They are imprisoned with five-year sentences.
3. In what does Tony remain undaunted?
(a) His love for his family.
(b) His desire to go home.
(c) His need to end the relationship.
(d) His vigil to reach Alice before she leaves.
4. With what does Mr. DePinna emerge from the basement?
(a) More fireworks.
(b) Old clothing to donate to the poor.
(c) An old photograph of the family.
(d) A painting of himself as a discus thrower.
5. How does Grandpa's help change Mr. Kirby?
(a) Grandpa calms him down.
(b) Grandpa makes him nervous.
(c) Grandpa excites him.
(d) Grandpa angers him.
6. What is Grandpa doing, amid all the chaos in the room?
(a) He is taking a nap.
(b) He is reading a book.
(c) He throws feather darts at a target.
(d) He is putting together a puzzle.
7. Of what does Grandpa remind Mr. Kirby?
(a) He did not start off wealthy.
(b) He had once had a well-paying career.
(c) Tony will come back to his job at the firm when he is ready.
(d) Life should be enjoyed.
8. Why is the visit unexpected?
(a) They have come one night too early for their dinner invitation.
(b) He was supposed to work late.
(c) Grandpa thought he had chased him away for good.
(d) She had forgotten her gin bottle in the living room.
9. How does Mr. Kirby react when Tony tells him he plans to leave the family firm?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is thrilled.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He is angry.
10. What is Gay interested in?
(b) Drinking gin.
(d) Writing plays.
11. What does the doorbell bring?
(a) The unexpected arrival of Gay Wellington.
(b) The unexpected arrival of the Kirbys.
(c) The unexpected arrival of Mr. Henderson.
(d) The unexpected arrival of Tony.
12. What is Alice's reaction to this mistake?
13. What is contrasting about the guest(s) and the Sycamores?
(a) Mr. Henderson is very angry, while the Sycamores are cheerful and pleasant.
(b) Gay Wellington is stumbling around the room, while the Sycamores are quietly working on individual projects.
(c) Tony is nervous, while the Sycamores are relaxed and amiable.
(d) The formal dress of Mr. and Mrs. Kirby starkly contrasts with the Sycamores and their houseguests.
14. Why does Tony want to leave the firm?
(a) To pursue work that will make him happy.
(b) He does not like working in New York City.
(c) He wants to work for a firm that will pay him more.
(d) He is tired of working with his father.
15. Who is Tony trying to convince not to leave?
(a) Mr. Henderson.
(c) The agency men.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice feel about last night's events?
2. Who will stay at least through dinner?
3. What does Donald read in the next day's paper?
4. What is Mr. Kirby's reaction to this announcement?
5. What does Essie want Ed to do?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)