|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the cluttered and chaotic living room of Grandpa Vanderhof?
(a) The characters are headed here in the first scene.
(b) The characters discuss this location in the first scene.
(c) It is the setting for part of the first scene.
(d) It is where the play opens.
2. How does the reader or audience member know that this room serves more than one purpose?
(a) With its eclectic elements, including live snakes, a xylophone, and a printing press.
(b) There is a counter and a cash register.
(c) There are beds and multiple dresser drawers, showing it is a bedroom as well.
(d) Books and bookshelves line the walls of the room.
3. Why does Paul show Alice his new fireworks?
(a) He loves her and wants to include her in his hobby.
(b) He is trying to get her away from Tony.
(c) He wants her to learn to make fireworks too.
(d) He wants to show off.
4. What has Grandpa never done?
(a) Paid parking tickets.
(b) Paid any income taxes.
(d) Participated in jury duty.
5. What does Alice say to Tony?
(a) Come in.
6. What does Grandpa enjoy doing?
(a) Running the household.
(b) Selling candy.
(c) Working at the bank.
(d) Attending commencement exercises.
7. What does Alice Sycamore do for a living?
(a) She makes fireworks with her father.
(b) She sells candy with Ed.
(c) She is a secretary at a Wall Street firm.
(d) She is a banker in a firm on Wall Street.
8. What does Tony ask Alice to do?
(a) Pack her things.
(b) Have a nice life.
(c) Remember him.
(d) Meet him before work in the morning.
9. How does Grandpa challenge Mr. Henderson?
(a) To force him to serve jury duty.
(b) To provide evidence he had parked illegally.
(c) To provide some evidence of where the funds will go.
(d) To an arm wrestling contest.
10. What genre of play is "You Can't Take It With You?"
(b) Historical fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
(d) Romantic comedy.
11. Why does Alice feel she has to refuse this?
(a) She wants to be a wife and mother, not a career woman.
(b) She wants a normal life.
(c) She and Tony will not last, if her family is not accepted by him and his family.
(d) Her family will miss her.
12. What is Ironic about Alice's refusal?
(a) Her family is so understanding and loving.
(b) She initially refuses Tony's proposal on the grounds that her own family will not be accepted in Tony's world.
(c) Tony will be the love of her life, if she would only go on a date with him.
(d) She will meet her future husband at work.
13. On what does Ed work?
(a) A painting.
(b) The printing press.
(c) A new woodworking project.
(d) A new fireworks design.
14. Who does Grandpa not know?
(a) That Penny has left.
(b) Essie has hired a ballet instructor.
(c) Alice is in love with Tony.
(d) Any of the graduates.
15. Why is Essie Carmichael making candy?
(a) It is one of her many hobbies.
(b) Her husband, Ed, has taken orders for the sweets that need to be filled today.
(c) Her mother sells candy from the home.
(d) She loves candy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is what this person shows her important?
2. Why must the two part for the evening?
3. How is the apartment as Alice and Tony return from their date?
4. What does Alice ask her family to do?
5. What does Alice reveal about her evening?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)