|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does Penny comment?
(a) Alice's huge smile.
(b) Alice's makeup.
(c) Alice's new shoes.
(d) The new dress Alice is wearing.
2. The curtain goes down temporarily and rises on what scene?
(a) The same scene later that night.
(b) A different scene later that night.
(c) A different scene the next day.
(d) The same scene the next day.
3. Where are Alice and Tony Kirby going?
(a) To an art show.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) To the symphony.
(d) Out to a movie.
4. Why does Alice feel she has to refuse this?
(a) She wants to be a wife and mother, not a career woman.
(b) She wants a normal life.
(c) Her family will miss her.
(d) She and Tony will not last, if her family is not accepted by him and his family.
5. Who is the most aimless of the household and periodically plays notes on the xylophone so that Essie can dance?
(a) Essie Carmichael.
(b) Ed Carmichael.
(c) Alice Sycamore.
6. What do the authors show, despite the difficulties and differences in Alice's family?
(a) They Kirby's love for the family.
(b) The family's love for the Kirbys.
(c) Tony dislike of the family.
(d) Her love for the family.
7. What occurs in the basement?
(a) A celebration.
(b) An explosion.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A flood.
8. What is Ironic about Alice's refusal?
(a) Tony will be the love of her life, if she would only go on a date with him.
(b) She initially refuses Tony's proposal on the grounds that her own family will not be accepted in Tony's world.
(c) Her family is so understanding and loving.
(d) She will meet her future husband at work.
9. What scenario mirrors the challenges of the American family endured during the dire economic times of the Depression?
(a) Alice's desire to be a career woman.
(b) Alice's love for the family in spite of difficulties and differences.
(c) The lack of the acceptance of Alice's family by Tony.
(d) Alice and Tony being unsure if they have enough in common.
10. Whose son is Tony?
(a) The firm's owner.
(b) A professor.
(c) The headmaster of a prep school.
(d) A famous actor.
11. How does Alice respond to Tony?
(a) She still does not want to marry him.
(b) She relents.
(c) She agrees to run away with him.
(d) She is even more ashamed of her family.
12. How might Alice feel about being interrupted by her family members?
13. Why is Mr. Henderson at the house?
(a) He is coming for dinner.
(b) He is Alice's date.
(c) He has come to speak to Grandpa.
(d) He has some of the Sycamore's mail.
14. How does Alice feel when she tells Tony she cannot marry him?
(a) She feels tired.
(b) She feels excited.
(c) She feels unsure.
(d) She feels exasperated.
15. How does the couple act?
(b) Tenderly romantic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What genre of play is "You Can't Take It With You?"
2. Why might Tony feel the way he does about the Sycamore family?
3. What is unusual about the apartment?
4. What does Penny do when the doorbell rings?
5. How are the characters introduced?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)