|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alice go to get ready for her date?
(b) In her own home.
(c) In the office.
(d) In the basement.
2. Why does Alice declare this?
(a) Her family is not so strange afte rall.
(b) She loves her grandfather.
(c) Her relationship with Tony will work out after all.
(d) Her mother is so kind and thoughtful.
3. From where does the patriarch of this zany family come home?
(a) Attending a commencement ceremony.
(b) Work at a bank.
(c) The basement making fireworks.
(d) Selling candy.
4. Why does Alice assume Tony will not be able to accept her family?
(a) She has a difficult time believing they can be accepted.
(b) Tony is very critical.
(c) Tony has already complained about her family's odd behavior.
(d) No one else accepts her family.
5. Where does Tony attend college?
(a) Northwestern University.
(b) Columbia University.
(d) Cambridge University in England.
6. What does Alice initially refuse?
(a) Tony's proposal.
(b) To go to work.
(c) To date Tony.
(d) To spend time with her family.
7. What is Mr. Henderson's job?
(a) To explain the tax situation to Grandpa.
(b) To revoke his driver's license.
(c) To offer him a job.
(d) To force him to come to jury duty.
8. What is this person's name?
(a) Grandpa Vanderhof.
9. What genre of play is "You Can't Take It With You?"
(b) Historical fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
(d) Romantic comedy.
10. Why does Alice wonder if a visitor has arrived?
(a) Her mother is at the door.
(b) The dog starts to bark.
(c) There is a knock on the door.
(d) The doorbell sounds.
11. Why is Mr. Henderson at the house?
(a) He has some of the Sycamore's mail.
(b) He is Alice's date.
(c) He is coming for dinner.
(d) He has come to speak to Grandpa.
12. What scenario mirrors the challenges of the American family endured during the dire economic times of the Depression?
(a) Alice and Tony being unsure if they have enough in common.
(b) The lack of the acceptance of Alice's family by Tony.
(c) Alice's love for the family in spite of difficulties and differences.
(d) Alice's desire to be a career woman.
13. What does Tony ask Alice to do?
(a) Meet him before work in the morning.
(b) Have a nice life.
(c) Pack her things.
(d) Remember him.
14. Why does Alice relent?
(a) She does not have the willpower to argue.
(b) Tony is very convincing.
(c) She loves and trusts Tony.
(d) She wants their relationship to work.
15. What else does Alice declare?
(a) The painting is gorgeous.
(b) The dance is fantastic.
(c) Everything is beautiful.
(d) The book is beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice feel she has to refuse this?
2. How does Alice respond to Tony?
3. On what does Ed work?
4. What occurs in the basement?
5. How are the characters introduced?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)