|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where do Paul Sycamore and Mr. DePinna emerge?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The garage.
(c) The second floor.
(d) The basement.
2. From where does the patriarch of this zany family come home?
(a) Selling candy.
(b) The basement making fireworks.
(c) Work at a bank.
(d) Attending a commencement ceremony.
3. How does Grandpa challenge Mr. Henderson?
(a) To an arm wrestling contest.
(b) To provide evidence he had parked illegally.
(c) To force him to serve jury duty.
(d) To provide some evidence of where the funds will go.
4. Why might Tony like Alice's family?
(a) They are so different from his own.
(b) They give great presents.
(c) The dinners are superb.
(d) They are very similar to his family.
5. Who is the patriarch of this zany family?
(a) Ed Carmichael.
(b) Paul Sycamore.
(c) Grandpa Vanderhof.
(d) Tony Kirby.
6. What scares Mr. Henderson out of the apartment without another word?
(a) The flood that is now coming into the living room.
(b) Grandpa yelling at him.
(c) The shaking of the floor from the earthquake.
(d) The explosion.
7. How does Alice respond to Tony?
(a) She agrees to run away with him.
(b) She still does not want to marry him.
(c) She is even more ashamed of her family.
(d) She relents.
8. How does Alice feel when she tells Tony she cannot marry him?
(a) She feels excited.
(b) She feels exasperated.
(c) She feels tired.
(d) She feels unsure.
9. What does Alice declare?
(a) The fireworks' red glow is beautiful.
(b) She wants to begin reading the book immediately.
(c) The dance is beautiful.
(d) The painting is the most beautiful one she has ever seen.
10. How might Alice feel about being interrupted by her family members?
11. Why does Alice declare this?
(a) Her family is not so strange afte rall.
(b) Her relationship with Tony will work out after all.
(c) She loves her grandfather.
(d) Her mother is so kind and thoughtful.
12. To what has Grandpa not responded?
(a) Requests for him to find a job.
(b) Phone calls from the courthouse.
(c) The police station's letters regarding his unpaid parking tickets.
(d) The government's letters regarding his tax evasion.
13. Why does Alice tell Tony she cannot marry him?
(a) Her family does not approve of him.
(b) She is already married.
(c) She no longer loves him.
(d) He can never understand her family.
14. What do the authors show, despite the difficulties and differences in Alice's family?
(a) Her love for the family.
(b) Tony dislike of the family.
(c) The family's love for the Kirbys.
(d) They Kirby's love for the family.
15. On what does Ed work?
(a) A new woodworking project.
(b) The printing press.
(c) A painting.
(d) A new fireworks design.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grandpa not know?
2. How might Tony feel about being interrupted by Alice's family members?
3. What does Alice ask her family to do?
4. Why does Alice say about everything in the world?
5. Why is Essie Carmichael making candy?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)