Short Answer Key
Act 1, Scene 1
1. What genre of play is "You Can't Take It With You?"
2. What is the purpose of the cluttered and chaotic living room of Grandpa Vanderhof?
It is where the play opens.
3. How does the reader or audience member know that this room serves more than one purpose?
With its eclectic elements, including live snakes, a xylophone, and a printing press.
4. How are the characters introduced?
As they come in and out of this room.
5. What is Penny Sycamore doing?
Typing away at one of the many plays she is writing.
6. Why is Essie Carmichael making candy?
Her husband, Ed, has taken orders for the sweets that need to be filled today.
7. Why does Rheba enter the room?
To check on the dinner count.
8. From where do Paul Sycamore and Mr. DePinna emerge?...
This section contains 2,307 words|
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)