|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blofeld demand to know?
2. Who does Bond think about as he smokes his last cigarette?
3. Who leaps out of the car window?
4. What is the name of the shop Kissy goes to?
5. What does Bond throw at Blofeld's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blofeld tell Bond?
2. What does Kissy tell Bond when he wakes up?
3. Why does Bond pretend not to know the person in the photograph?
4. Why is the castle a taboo subject?
5. Describe Bond's education.
6. What does Bond witness from his hideout?
7. What catch 22 situation does Blofeld put Bond in?
8. How does Kissy try and stimulate Bond's senses?
9. Why does Bond refuse the antidote?
10. What are Blofeld and Irma wearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
You Only Live Twice is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in You Only Live Twice?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Fleming use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)