|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Japanese regard foreigners as?
2. Where did the young man kill himself?
3. Who does M say he is concerned with?
4. What do the Japanese call foreigners?
5. What is the name of Bond's boss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What famous folktale does Tiger tell Bond?
2. What poisons are there in the park?
3. What was the young man's motivation for killing himself?
4. What advice does Tiger give Bond at the train station?
5. Why is M concerned about Bond?
6. Why is Dikko so angry in Melody's bar?
7. Why does Tanako call Bond Bondo-san?
8. What does Tanako say is the difference between American and Japanese culture?
9. What does Bond think about as he wanders around the park?
10. What does the sheet of paper say that Tiger hands Bond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s. How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following statements to write a 500-word essay:
1) You Only Live Twice is an example of how Bond keeps the series going through the constant theme of revenge.
2) Bond and Blofeld are not far apart in personality and the only thing that separates them is the fact they are on different sides.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bond's character across the whole series.
1) How does Fleming develop Bond's character across the whole series?
2) Does Thundergall add any new elements to Bond's character? If so, what?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)