|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the letter say the Soviet Union will stop their attack?
2. What squashed the young man's head ?
3. What does Tiger say Bond would have been singled out as a day before?
4. What was the name of Bond's wife?
5. How does the foreigner kill people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kissy try and stimulate Bond's senses?
2. What does Bond think about as he wanders around the park?
3. How do the Japanese secure their Secret Service building?
4. What does the sheet of paper say that Tiger hands Bond?
5. What catch 22 situation does Blofeld put Bond in?
6. Why is the castle a taboo subject?
7. What is the legend of the Six Guardians?
8. Describe Bond's day with Kissy.
9. What does Kissy tell Bond when he wakes up?
10. What is ON?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of death.
1) In what way does Fleming use the Japanese setting to express the theme of death?
2) How does the theme of death affect the tone of the novel? Is it different in thone to other Bond novels?
Essay Topic 2
In 1967 You Only Live Twice was made into a film starring Sean Connery. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 4 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s. How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)