|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tiger want Bond to kill?
2. What is marked on the first door Bond and Dikko enter?
3. What is a ronin?
4. What does Bond think the young man should have tried to do?
5. What does Tanaka invite Bond home to discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the castle the doctor settles on.
2. What advice does Dikko give Bond about Tiger Tananko?
3. What advice does Tiger give Bond at the train station?
4. Why is Tiger pleased with Bond?
5. What does Tanako tell Bond during their business meeting?
6. What is Molony's reasoning behind sending Bond on a dangerous mission?
7. What poisons are there in the park?
8. How do Russia want their safety guaranteed?
9. What does Tanako say is the difference between American and Japanese culture?
10. What does Moloney suggest M does to help Bond get back to his old self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Bond's character across the whole series.
1) How does Fleming develop Bond's character across the whole series?
2) Does Thundergall add any new elements to Bond's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960s. How does Fleming express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How do Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)