|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter say it wants removed from Britain?
2. Where does Dikko take Bond on his first night?
3. What is marked on the first door Bond and Dikko enter?
4. Why did the young man kill himself?
5. What is located in Kyoto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bill Tanner help Bond?
2. What accident does Bond witness at the school?
3. Why did Dr. Shatterhand come to Japan?
4. How does M describe Tiger?
5. Describe the castle the doctor settles on.
6. What was the young man's motivation for killing himself?
7. How do the Japanese secure their Secret Service building?
8. What does Tiger think about Western culture?
9. What is Molony's reasoning behind sending Bond on a dangerous mission?
10. What advice does Dikko give Bond about Tiger Tananko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
You Only Live Twice is written in the third person. Why do you think Fleming chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
In 1967 You Only Live Twice was made into a film starring Sean Connery. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 4 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)