|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the young man kill himself?
2. What drink are Bond and Tiger drinking?
3. What does Tiger say Bond would have been singled out as a day before?
4. Who is Bond playing a game with?
5. What does Tiger call the doctor's garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bond say he sees all around him?
2. How do the Japanese secure their Secret Service building?
3. Describe Bond and Tanako's game of rock scissors paper.
4. What is Bond's feeling at the beginning of the chapter?
5. Why did Dr. Shatterhand come to Japan?
6. How do Russia want their safety guaranteed?
7. What advice does Tiger give Bond at the train station?
8. What is the large red wheel for?
9. What poisons are there in the park?
10. What advice does Dikko give Bond about Tiger Tananko?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of death.
1) In what way does Fleming use the Japanese setting to express the theme of death?
2) How does the theme of death affect the tone of the novel? Is it different in thone to other Bond novels?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the difference between American and Japanese culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)