|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tiger say the dangerous foreigner is?
2. What is Bond ready to give M?
3. What kind of mission does Molony suggest that M gives Bond?
4. Who was the castle once owned by?
5. What does Bond say Tiger philosophized about the previous night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the government not prosecute Dr. Shatterhand?
2. What does the dangerous foreigner do in Japan?
3. Why is Tiger pleased with Bond?
4. How did the young man in Tokyo kill himself?
5. What poisons are there in the park?
6. What does Tiger think about Western culture?
7. What does Moloney suggest M does to help Bond get back to his old self?
8. What is the large red wheel for?
9. How do Russia want their safety guaranteed?
10. What does Tanako tell Bond during their business meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1967 You Only Live Twice was made into a film starring Sean Connery. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant 4 years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Bond's character across the whole series.
1) How does Fleming develop Bond's character across the whole series?
2) Does Thundergall add any new elements to Bond's character? If so, what?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How do Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)