|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tanaka throw on the first hand?
2. What is a ronin?
3. What does Bond say he sees all around him?
4. What does Tiger tell Bond he is not allowed to do?
5. What did the doctor find in Kyushu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the large red wheel for?
2. Why is Tiger pleased with Bond?
3. How does Tiger change Bond's appearance?
4. What does Bond think about as he wanders around the park?
5. What accident does Bond witness at the school?
6. How does M describe Tiger?
7. How do the Japanese secure their Secret Service building?
8. What does Bond say he sees all around him?
9. What does Tiger say is his real feelings towards foreigners?
10. Why does Tiger consider one foreigner dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How do Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of death.
1) In what way does Fleming use the Japanese setting to express the theme of death?
2) How does the theme of death affect the tone of the novel? Is it different in thone to other Bond novels?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)