|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bar does Bond go to on his second night in Japan?
2. What does Bond say he sees all around him?
3. What do the Japanese regard foreigners as?
4. What does Tanaka invite Bond home to discuss?
5. What is the foreigners title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the government not prosecute Dr. Shatterhand?
2. What does Moloney suggest M does to help Bond get back to his old self?
3. Describe Bond and Tanako's game of rock scissors paper.
4. What advice does Dikko give Bond about Tiger Tananko?
5. Why is Tiger pleased with Bond?
6. Why does Tiger consider one foreigner dangerous?
7. What does Tanako say is the difference between American and Japanese culture?
8. What does Bond say he sees all around him?
9. What is the large red wheel for?
10. What advice does Tiger give Bond at the train station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Fleming's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of revenge.
1) In what way is the theme of revenge a general theme in Bond books? Why is it so important to the series and Bond's character as a whole?
2) How does Fleming express the theme of revenge in You Only Live Twice.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Fleming's representation of Japanese culture.
1) How accurate do the students think Fleming's representation of Japanese culture is?
2) In what way does Fleming exaggerate parts of Japanese culture to make the novel excting and express some of the deeper themes?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)