|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dikko take Bond on his first night?
2. What does Tiger say one foreigner understands about Japan?
3. What does Tiger say the dangerous foreigner is?
4. What is the foreigners title?
5. What does Bond begin to wonder in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tiger change Bond's appearance?
2. What was the young man's motivation for killing himself?
3. What is the garden of death?
4. What is ON?
5. What does the dangerous foreigner do in Japan?
6. What does Bond think about as he wanders around the park?
7. Why is Dikko so angry in Melody's bar?
8. What does Bond say he sees all around him?
9. Why is M concerned about Bond?
10. How did the young man in Tokyo kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
You Only Live Twice is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in You Only Live Twice?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
You Only Live Twice is written in the third person. Why do you think Fleming chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the first person?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)