|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bond ready to give M?
2. What is the name of the bar Dikko and Bond visit in this chapter?
3. What does TIger always stay true to?
4. Where did Tiger study?
5. What is the foreigners title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tiger consider one foreigner dangerous?
2. Describe how Bond makes his way through the castle?
3. Why does Bond pretend not to know the person in the photograph?
4. Describe Bond's education.
5. What famous folktale does Tiger tell Bond?
6. Why does Kissy lie to Bond?
7. What does Tanako tell Bond during their business meeting?
8. Why is Tiger pleased with Bond?
9. How did the young man in Tokyo kill himself?
10. Why is Dikko so angry in Melody's bar?
Essay Topic 1
You Only Live Twice is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in You Only Live Twice?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the difference between American and Japanese culture in terms of the following:
2) Attitudes towards death.
3) Popular culture.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How do Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)