|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M rename Bond?
2. Who does M say he is concerned with?
3. What does TIger always stay true to?
4. Why do the government not prosecute the doctor?
5. What is Dikko drinking at Melody's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tanako say is the difference between American and Japanese culture?
2. What advice does Dikko give Bond about Tiger Tananko?
3. Describe the castle the doctor settles on.
4. What poisons are there in the park?
5. What does Moloney suggest M does to help Bond get back to his old self?
6. What is Molony's reasoning behind sending Bond on a dangerous mission?
7. What was the young man's motivation for killing himself?
8. What does Tiger say is his real feelings towards foreigners?
9. Why did Dr. Shatterhand come to Japan?
10. What accident does Bond witness at the school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fleming's representation of Japanese culture.
1) How accurate do the students think Fleming's representation of Japanese culture is?
2) In what way does Fleming exaggerate parts of Japanese culture to make the novel excting and express some of the deeper themes?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How do Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of death.
1) In what way does Fleming use the Japanese setting to express the theme of death?
2) How does the theme of death affect the tone of the novel? Is it different in thone to other Bond novels?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)