|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
2. Chinaski believes the best companion is _____________.
3. Who is Emily Bukowski?
4. Whom does Chinaski say he loves in "Supposedly Famous"?
5. Where does "Together" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
2. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
3. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
4. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
5. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
6. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
7. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
8. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
9. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
10. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski respond to his critics? When he responds to critics, is he genuine? Is he fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)