|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poem is a short quip in which Bukowski says it is still nice to be Bukowski?
2. Who is most fond of motivational cliches?
3. According to Chinaski in "Drive Through Hell," the adjective which describes all of humanity is ________.
4. What kind of magazines does Chinaski write for in "O Tempora! O Mores!"?
5. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
2. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
3. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
4. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
5. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
6. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
7. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
8. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
9. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
10. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chinaski enjoy solitude so much? Does he genuinely enjoy solitude, or is he being disingenuous?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)