|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
2. What boy throws up in "Whorehouse"?
3. Chinaski believes the best companion is _____________.
4. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
5. Which poem is considered a play on words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
2. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
3. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
4. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
5. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
6. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
7. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
8. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
9. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
10. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Chinaski's father play in the poems? What effect does he have on Chinaski and why? Can you see ways in which he has influenced Chinaski?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the poem "Invasion"? What does the lion in the poem symbolize? What is the message of this poem, and how do you know?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)