|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Cornered," where does Chinaski often sit?
2. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
3. In school, Chinaski often had difficulty with ___________.
4. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
5. What is the second thing the man Chinaski tries to help drops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
2. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
3. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
4. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
5. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
6. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
7. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
8. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
9. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
10. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chinaski lack trust for humanity? What message do you think Bukowski sends in giving Chinaski this distrust?
Essay Topic 2
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)