|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Glenn Miller," Chinaski recalls what kind of shop?
2. What is the first thing that the man whom Chinaski tries to help drops?
3. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
4. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
5. In school, Chinaski often had difficulty with ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
2. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
3. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
4. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
5. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
6. What is the poem "Together" about?
7. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
8. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
9. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
10. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chinaski lack trust for humanity? What message do you think Bukowski sends in giving Chinaski this distrust?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)