Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Crazy Truth," Chinaski recalled seeing a pedestrian verbally abuse a man in what color car?
2. Saroyan flees from the United States to _________.
3. In "Shoes," what does the young man think of the shoes?
4. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
5. In "Starting Fast," where does Chinaski sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
2. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
3. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
4. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
5. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
6. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
7. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
8. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
9. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
10. Describe the poem "Invasion."
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bukowski's overall view of the world. Why does he see the world as mostly negative? What things are positive in the world, according to Bukowski? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)