Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Crazy Truth," Chinaski recalled seeing a pedestrian verbally abuse a man in what color car?
2. Saroyan flees from the United States to _________.
3. In "Shoes," what does the young man think of the shoes?
4. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
5. In "Starting Fast," where does Chinaski sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
2. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
3. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
4. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
5. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
6. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
7. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
8. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
9. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
10. Describe the poem "Invasion."
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the poem "Invasion"? What does the lion in the poem symbolize? What is the message of this poem, and how do you know?
Essay Topic 2
How does Bukowski respond to his critics? When he responds to critics, is he genuine? Is he fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
An allegory is a literary device used to show that a part represents a whole. Describe the use of allegory in at least one of Bukowski's poems. Then explain why the use of allegory is effective or ineffective.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)