|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fante's occupation?
2. In "My Friend, The Parking Lot Attendant," where does the attendant work?
3. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
4. Chinaski believes that most poets are which of the following?
5. Where is Chinaski in "Sunny Side Down"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
2. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
3. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
4. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
5. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
6. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
7. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
8. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
9. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
10. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)