|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Chinaski when he took a trip to Tijuana?
2. In "The Stride," how old does Chinaski recall being?
3. What boy throws up in "Whorehouse"?
4. In "A Non-urgent Poem," a man says that Chinaski has lost which of the following?
5. Where does "Together" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
2. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
3. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
4. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
5. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
6. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
7. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
8. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
9. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
10. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an argument for or against Bukowski being misogynistic. Use at least three specific pieces of evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that the themes of loss and fear play in Bukowski's poetry. Explain the two poems that seem to focus the most on fear and loss. Explain why you think this theme prevails in these poems.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chinaski enjoy solitude so much? Does he genuinely enjoy solitude, or is he being disingenuous?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)