|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Stride"?
2. Where does Chinaski live?
3. Which of the following is the setting for "Red Mercedes" and a frequent setting in Bukowski's work?
4. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
5. When Chinaski writes, who or what accompanies him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
2. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
3. Describe the poem "Invasion."
4. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
5. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
6. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
7. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
8. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
9. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
10. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that the themes of loss and fear play in Bukowski's poetry. Explain the two poems that seem to focus the most on fear and loss. Explain why you think this theme prevails in these poems.
Essay Topic 3
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)