|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which poem does Chinaski struggle with writer's block?
2. When Chinaski writes, who or what accompanies him?
3. Where does Chinaski give another driver a rude gesture?
4. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
5. In "Friends within the Darkness," Chinaski listens to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
2. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
3. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
4. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
5. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
6. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
7. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
8. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
9. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
10. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the poem "Invasion"? What does the lion in the poem symbolize? What is the message of this poem, and how do you know?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)