|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski believes that most poets are which of the following?
2. Which of the following is a theme not reflected by these poems?
3. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
4. Who has an ironic death in Bukowski's work?
5. Where is Chinaski's favorite place in "My Vanishing Act"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
2. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
3. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
4. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
5. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
6. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
7. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
8. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
9. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
10. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
Essay Topic 1
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)