|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom/what does Emily Bukowski tend?
2. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
3. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
4. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
5. Who has an ironic death in Bukowski's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
2. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
3. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
4. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
5. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
6. What is the poem "Together" about?
7. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
8. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
9. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
10. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the portrayal of madness in Bukowski's work. Is madness portrayed as a negative trait? Why or why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)