|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Stride"?
2. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
3. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
4. What was Fante's occupation?
5. How did Chinaski's friend from "The Stride" die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
2. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
3. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
4. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
5. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
6. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
7. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
8. What is the poem "Together" about?
9. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
10. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the portrayal of madness in Bukowski's work. Is madness portrayed as a negative trait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Assess Bukowski's argument that there are no certainties or essential truths in the world. Support or refute this claim using examples from the text.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)