|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chinaski, where are all of his defenders?
2. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
3. Whom does Chinaski say he loves in "Supposedly Famous"?
4. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
5. Where does Chinaski give another driver a rude gesture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
2. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
3. What view of Chinaski does "Quiet" present?
4. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
5. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
6. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
7. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
8. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
9. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
10. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
Essay Topic 1
Assess Bukowski's argument that there are no certainties or essential truths in the world. Support or refute this claim using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)