|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Together" take place?
2. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
3. Who is the subject of the poem "Retired"?
4. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
5. When the thief in the boarding house tries to rob Chinaski, how does he get back at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
2. What is the poem "Together" about?
3. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
4. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
5. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
6. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
7. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
8. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
9. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
10. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that the themes of loss and fear play in Bukowski's poetry. Explain the two poems that seem to focus the most on fear and loss. Explain why you think this theme prevails in these poems.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)