|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What significant event in history does Chinaski consider in "Sunny Side Down"?
2. According to Chinaski in "Drive Through Hell," the adjective which describes all of humanity is ________.
3. With whom does Chinaski seem to feel the strongest kinship?
4. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
5. All the crazy poets Chinaski used to work with now have what kinds of jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
2. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
3. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
4. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
5. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
6. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
7. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
8. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
9. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
10. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chinaski lack trust for humanity? What message do you think Bukowski sends in giving Chinaski this distrust?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
Essay Topic 3
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)