|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Chemistry of Things"?
2. What is the name of Chinaski's lover with whom he lived with on next to nothing?
3. Saroyan flees from the United States to _________.
4. How did Chinaski's friend from "The Stride" die?
5. What is the second thing the man Chinaski tries to help drops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
2. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
3. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
4. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
5. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
6. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
7. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
8. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
9. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
10. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 3
Make an argument for or against Bukowski being misogynistic. Use at least three specific pieces of evidence from the text.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)