|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
2. What significant event in history does Chinaski consider in "Sunny Side Down"?
3. Which poem is a short quip in which Bukowski says it is still nice to be Bukowski?
4. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
5. In "Starting Fast," what does Chinaski ruminate on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
2. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
3. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
4. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
5. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
6. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
7. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
8. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
9. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
10. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chinaski enjoy solitude so much? Does he genuinely enjoy solitude, or is he being disingenuous?
Essay Topic 3
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)