|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fante's occupation?
2. In which poem does Chinaski struggle with writer's block?
3. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
4. What kind of women does "Poor Al" date?
5. Where does the woman in "A Good Time" want to be taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
2. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
3. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
4. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
5. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
6. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
7. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
8. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
9. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
10. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bukowski's overall view of the world. Why does he see the world as mostly negative? What things are positive in the world, according to Bukowski? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)