|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Together" take place?
2. Which of the following is the setting for "Red Mercedes" and a frequent setting in Bukowski's work?
3. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
4. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
5. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
2. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
3. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
4. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
5. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
6. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
7. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
8. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
9. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
10. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an argument for or against Bukowski being misogynistic. Use at least three specific pieces of evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)