|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "You Get So Alone At Times . . ." how many pounds does Chinaski recall losing in order to get published?
2. What is the name of Chinaski's second friend in "Practice"?
3. Which of the following is most evident in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
(a) Gallows humor.
4. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
(b) Boll weevil.
5. Who is Philip Lamantia?
(a) An actor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A poet.
(d) A model.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Beautiful Lady Editor," who writes to Chinaski telling him he deserves to be miserable?
2. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
3. In "Seize the Day," what makes the grotesque man popular?
4. Which of the following has happened to Chinaski in "Longshot"?
5. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
2. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
3. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
4. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
5. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
6. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
7. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
8. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
9. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
10. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)