|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chinaski consoles himself that many men become which of the following over time?
2. In "Wearing the Collar," which animal does Chinaski talk about?
3. What building is destroyed in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
(a) A whorehouse.
(b) A block of houses.
(c) A diner.
(d) A large memorial site.
4. In "You Get So Alone At Times . . ." how many pounds does Chinaski recall losing in order to get published?
5. What happens to Chinaski as he gets thinner in "You Get So Alone At Times . . ."?
(a) He becomes angry.
(b) He finds himself less attractive.
(c) He becomes more interested in drinking.
(d) He stops writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Following," Chinaski gets a call from __________.
2. In "Song," what does Chinaski's friend sing a song about?
3. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski recall doing?
4. In "Their Night," Chinaski connects his distaste for the Lost Generation to __________.
5. Whom does Chinaski ogle in "Concrete"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
2. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
3. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
4. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
5. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
6. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
7. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
8. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
9. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
10. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)