|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "From an Old Dog in his Cups," what relationship is explored?
(a) Between writing and love.
(b) Between drinking and fighting.
(c) Between drinking and writing.
(d) Between writing and insanity.
2. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
(a) Boll weevil.
3. Whom does Chinaski ogle in "Concrete"?
(a) The man's sister.
(b) The man's daughter.
(c) The man's mother.
(d) The man's wife.
4. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
(d) South America.
5. What conclusion does Chinaski reach in "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat"?
(a) He prefers cats to people.
(b) He prefers dogs to cats.
(c) He hates animals.
(d) He hates people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chinaski think that many women go to bed with him in "Working"?
2. What is "An Ordinary Poem" about?
3. What is the name of the woman that "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to?
4. Where is Chinaski in "Not Listed"?
5. Chinaski describes the food in Paris as being which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
2. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
3. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
4. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
5. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
6. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
7. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
8. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
9. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
10. Describe the poem "Invasion."
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)