|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Let 'Em Go," Chinaski says he is tired of __________.
(d) Dating a woman.
2. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
3. Where does "My Buddy" take place?
(b) New York.
(c) New Orleans.
(d) Los Angeles.
4. Where does Chinaski get out of his car in "Hard Times"?
(a) The docks.
(b) The bar.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The diner.
5. What is the name of Chinaski's other friend in "Song'?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski mentions that the lottery funds _____________.
2. Which poem is considered the strangest in the collection?
3. In "Sticks and Stones . . ." Chinaski responds to whom?
4. Where does Chinaski imagine himself in "Me and My Buddy"?
5. In "Hot," Bukowski claims that there is which of the following in everything around him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
2. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
3. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
4. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
5. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
6. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
7. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
8. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
9. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
10. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)