|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes the woman in "The Lady in the Castle"?
(a) She has big eyes.
(b) She has big feet.
(c) She has long hair.
(d) She has a large nose.
2. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
(a) Boll weevil.
3. What is the name of the woman that "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to?
(d) Rose Mary.
4. Whom does Chinaski ogle in "Concrete"?
(a) The man's daughter.
(b) The man's sister.
(c) The man's mother.
(d) The man's wife.
5. Which of the following has happened to Chinaski in "Longshot"?
(a) He is fighting.
(b) He is working.
(c) He is cleaning.
(d) He is losing a lot of blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Hard Times," Chinaski sees the men who ___________.
2. In "Song," what does Chinaski's friend sing a song about?
3. What is the name of Chinaski's other friend in "Song'?
4. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
5. In "The Beautiful Lady Editor," who writes to Chinaski telling him he deserves to be miserable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
2. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
3. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
4. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
5. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
6. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
7. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
8. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
9. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
10. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)