|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Chinaski's other friend in "Song'?
2. In "Seize the Day," what makes the grotesque man popular?
(a) He won the lottery.
(b) He had a child.
(c) He got a job.
(d) He moved away.
3. What happens to Chinaski in "Everybody Talks Too Much"?
(a) He is pulled over by a cop.
(b) He meets a woman at the bar.
(c) He files for divorce.
(d) He gets into a fight.
4. What building is destroyed in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
(a) A whorehouse.
(b) A diner.
(c) A block of houses.
(d) A large memorial site.
5. In "A Following," Chinaski gets a call from __________.
(a) New York City.
(c) Los Angeles.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fractional Note," what is happening to hope?
2. Where is Chinaski in "Longshot"?
3. What is the name of Chinaski's second friend in "Practice"?
4. In "Invasion," what kind of animal does Chinaski see in his doorway?
5. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
2. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
3. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
4. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
5. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
6. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
7. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
8. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
9. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
10. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)