|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "About the PEN Conference," the author states that a writer without his typewriter is just a _________.
2. What is the name of the second girl in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
3. Which of the following describes the woman in "The Lady in the Castle"?
(a) She has big feet.
(b) She has a large nose.
(c) She has big eyes.
(d) She has long hair.
4. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
(a) It is lost for a short while.
(b) It becomes more abundant.
(c) It disappears.
(d) It does not change.
5. Chinaski believes that the hopes and joys of life are inevitably lost due to _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion does Chinaski reach in "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat"?
2. Who is Philip Lamantia?
3. In "The Shrinking Island," Chinaski's wife tells him not to step on_________.
4. In "Hard Times," how many familiar men does Chinaski run into?
5. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
2. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
3. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
4. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
5. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
6. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
7. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
8. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
9. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
10. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)