|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chinaski think every older person wants to die?
(a) Due to dementia.
(b) By a heart attack.
(c) In his sleep.
2. Who is Philip Lamantia?
(a) An actor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A model.
(d) A poet.
3. In "Hard Times," how many familiar men does Chinaski run into?
4. In "Marching Through Georgia," which of the following does Chinaski use to describe the world?
5. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
(d) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Their Night," Chinaski connects his distaste for the Lost Generation to __________.
2. In "The Shrinking Island," what does Chinaski give up on since he is drunk?
3. In which poem does Bukowski ruminate on his inconsistent fame?
4. Chinaski describes the food in Paris as being which of the following?
5. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski recall doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
2. Describe the poem "Invasion."
3. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
4. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
5. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
6. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
7. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
8. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
9. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
10. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)