|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Not Listed," Chinaski runs into an ex-jockey named ___________.
2. In "Hard Times," Chinaski sees the men who ___________.
(a) Painted his house.
(b) Fixed his car.
(c) Raked his leaves.
(d) Ran errands for him.
3. In "Marching Through Georgia," which of the following does Chinaski use to describe the world?
4. In "Seize the Day," what makes the grotesque man popular?
(a) He won the lottery.
(b) He had a child.
(c) He got a job.
(d) He moved away.
5. In "Hard Times," how many familiar men does Chinaski run into?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Fractional Note," what is described as getting worse?
2. In "Hot," Bukowski claims that there is which of the following in everything around him?
3. What is Li Po's occupation?
4. In "Over Done," why does Chinaski not enjoy the company of his old acquaintance?
5. Chinaski claims to say nothing to cops and what other type of person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
2. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
3. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
4. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
5. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
6. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
7. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
8. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
9. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
10. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)