|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Chinaski as he gets thinner in "You Get So Alone At Times . . ."?
(a) He finds himself less attractive.
(b) He stops writing.
(c) He becomes angry.
(d) He becomes more interested in drinking.
2. In "Fractional Note," what is described as getting worse?
3. What is "An Ordinary Poem" about?
(a) Things he cares about.
(b) Things he has felt anger toward.
(c) Things he does not like.
(d) A war.
4. In which of the following poems does Chinaski not focus on the hidden horrors of life?
(a) "The Blade."
(b) "Not Listed."
(c) "The Boil."
(d) "The Lady in the Castle."
5. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
(b) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion does Chinaski reach in "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat"?
2. Which is Bukowski's essential argument in "Fractional Note"?
3. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
4. Which of the following is the name of one of the women in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
5. Where is Chinaski in "Not Listed"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
2. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
3. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
4. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
5. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
6. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
7. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
8. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
9. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
10. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)