|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Me and My Buddy," what does Chinaski do with his poem?
(a) He turns it into a paper crane.
(b) He uses it as a cushion.
(c) He rips it up.
(d) He gives it away.
2. What is the name of the second girl in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
3. Chinaski says that Mexican girls in "Longshot" are often doing which of the following?
(a) Sweeping and mopping.
(b) Tending to bedding.
(c) Doing paperwork.
4. What is one of Chinaski's friends named in "Song"?
5. In "Hard Times," how many familiar men does Chinaski run into?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Li Po's occupation?
2. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
3. How does Chinaski think every older person wants to die?
4. Which is Bukowski's essential argument in "Fractional Note"?
5. Chinaski consoles himself that many men become which of the following over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
2. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
3. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
4. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
5. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
6. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
7. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
8. Describe the poem "Invasion."
9. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
10. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)