|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Emily Bukowski?
(a) Bukowski's grandmother.
(b) Bukowski's mother.
(c) Bukowski's wife.
(d) Bukowski's sister.
2. In "The Crazy Truth," Chinaski recalled seeing a pedestrian verbally abuse a man in what color car?
3. Where is the hotel room in "A Good Time"?
(a) Las Vegas.
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
4. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Stride"?
5. In "A Funny Guy," what is Schopenhauer's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Education," what does Chinaski remember?
2. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
3. Which poem is a short quip in which Bukowski says it is still nice to be Bukowski?
4. When Chinaski writes, who or what accompanies him?
5. In "Starting Fast," where does Chinaski sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
2. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
3. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
4. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
5. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
6. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
7. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
8. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
9. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
10. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)