|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man located in "The Man in the Brown Suit"?
(a) A bank.
(b) A diner.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) An office.
2. What is the name of Chinaski's lover with whom he lived with on next to nothing?
3. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
(a) The fulfillment of ambitions.
(c) The lie of the American dream.
(d) American education.
4. Where is Chinaski in "Sunny Side Down"?
(a) A movie theater.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A park.
(d) A diner.
5. Which of the following is the setting for "Red Mercedes" and a frequent setting in Bukowski's work?
(a) Race track.
(d) Chinaski's father's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
2. Saroyan insists that in order for him to write he needs to ______________.
3. What was the name of Chinaski's teacher?
4. What is the name of the chemistry teacher who molested Chinaski's friend?
5. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
2. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
3. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
4. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
5. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
6. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
7. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
8. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
9. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
10. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)