|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Chinaski in "Sunny Side Down"?
(a) A diner.
(b) A movie theater.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A park.
2. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
(a) An actor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A boxer.
(d) A police officer.
3. What is Chinaski's emotion in "I'll Take It..."?
4. Chinaski believes that most poets are which of the following?
5. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
(a) His faith.
(b) His agony.
(c) His depression.
(d) His anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Chemistry of Things"?
2. What is the format of the poems in this collection?
3. To whom/what does Emily Bukowski tend?
4. What boy throws up in "Whorehouse"?
5. According to Chinaski, how long did it take him to become the best drunk in the neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
2. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
3. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
4. Describe Chinaski's feelings for John Fante.
5. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
6. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
7. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
8. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
9. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
10. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)