|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chinaski's emotion in "I'll Take It..."?
2. In "The Crazy Truth," Chinaski recalled seeing a pedestrian verbally abuse a man in what color car?
3. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
(a) A boxer.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A writer.
(d) An actor.
4. Who is the subject of the poem "Retired"?
(a) Chinaski's mother.
(b) Chinaski's father.
(c) Chinaski's brother.
(d) A homeless man.
5. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
(a) John Fante.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the setting for "Red Mercedes" and a frequent setting in Bukowski's work?
2. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
3. Which poem is considered a play on words?
4. Chinaski believes that most poets are which of the following?
5. In "The Master Plan," where does Chinaski survive a harsh winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
2. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
3. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
4. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
5. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
6. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
7. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
8. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
9. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
10. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)