|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
(a) His roommate.
(b) His brother.
(c) The woman he lives with.
(d) His father.
2. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
(b) The lie of the American dream.
(c) American education.
(d) The fulfillment of ambitions.
3. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
(a) His faith.
(b) His agony.
(c) His anger.
(d) His depression.
4. In which poem does Chinaski struggle with writer's block?
(a) "I'll Take It."
(d) "Supposedly Famous."
5. In "Cornered," where does Chinaski often sit?
(b) Empty bars.
(c) Busy restaurants.
(d) Park benches.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which poem does Bukowski relate his famous origin story?
2. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
3. In "Termites of the Page," whom does Bukowski lambast?
4. In "Shoes," what does the young man think of the shoes?
5. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
2. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
3. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
4. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
5. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
6. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
7. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
8. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
9. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
10. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)