|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
(c) His father.
(d) John Fante.
2. What is the name of Chinaski's lover with whom he lived with on next to nothing?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Chinaski of the present in "Zero"?
4. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
(a) His roommate.
(b) His father.
(c) The woman he lives with.
(d) His brother.
5. Where is Chinaski in "Sunny Side Down"?
(a) A park.
(b) A diner.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A movie theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chinaski finds out he will have to live alone in "Rift," what does he feel?
2. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
3. All the crazy poets Chinaski used to work with now have what kinds of jobs?
4. According to Chinaski, how long did it take him to become the best drunk in the neighborhood?
5. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
2. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
3. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
4. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
5. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
6. What is the poem "Together" about?
7. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
8. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
9. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
10. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)