|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In school, Chinaski often had difficulty with ___________.
(d) Physical education.
2. Where does the woman in "A Good Time" want to be taken?
(a) New York.
(b) Las Vegas.
(d) Los Angeles.
3. Who is Emily Bukowski?
(a) Bukowski's sister.
(b) Bukowski's mother.
(c) Bukowski's grandmother.
(d) Bukowski's wife.
4. According to Chinaski, how long did it take him to become the best drunk in the neighborhood?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Eighteen years.
5. In "Drive Through Hell," where does Chinaski see the soul of the world?
(a) Near a park.
(b) At a school.
(c) In a diner.
(d) On the freeway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chinaski's favorite place in "My Vanishing Act"?
2. What is the format of the poems in this collection?
3. What is Chinaski's emotion in "I'll Take It..."?
4. What kind of magazines does Chinaski write for in "O Tempora! O Mores!"?
5. Who is most fond of motivational cliches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
2. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
3. What is the poem "Together" about?
4. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
5. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
6. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
7. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
8. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
9. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
10. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)