|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
(a) The theater.
(b) The bank.
(c) The sidewalk
(d) The grocery store.
2. What was the name of Chinaski's teacher?
(a) Ms. Simpson.
(b) Ms. Samuels.
(c) Ms. Sorento.
(d) Ms. Simms.
3. In "My Friend, The Parking Lot Attendant," where does the attendant work?
(a) A race track.
(b) A fancy restaurant.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A dance club.
4. What is the name of Chinaski's lover with whom he lived with on next to nothing?
5. In "Friends within the Darkness," Chinaski listens to __________.
(a) Rap music.
(b) Rock music.
(c) Country music.
(d) Classical music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski argues that his friend from "Stride" would feel crestfallen to see what which of the following does to a man?
2. According to Chinaski, how long did it take him to become the best drunk in the neighborhood?
3. Which poem is a short quip in which Bukowski says it is still nice to be Bukowski?
4. What is Chinaski's emotion in "I'll Take It..."?
5. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
2. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
3. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
4. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
5. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
6. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
7. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
8. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
9. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
10. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)