|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
(a) His privilege.
(b) His love life.
(c) His existence.
(d) His childhood.
2. What is the name of the thief who lives in a boarding house in "Bad Times at the 3rd and Vermont Hotel"?
3. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
(c) Lack of ambition.
4. Where is Chinaski in "Sunny Side Down"?
(a) A diner.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A movie theater.
(d) A park.
5. With whom does Chinaski seem to feel the strongest kinship?
(a) An English poet.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) A German composer.
(d) An actor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is most fond of motivational cliches?
2. In "Education," what does Chinaski remember?
3. According to Chinaski in "Drive Through Hell," the adjective which describes all of humanity is ________.
4. In "Red Mercedes," what does the passenger hand the driver of the car from the glove box?
5. When Chinaski writes, who or what accompanies him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
2. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
3. How does Chinaski juxtapose "Stride" and "The Final Story"?
4. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
5. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
6. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
7. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
8. What is the poem "Together" about?
9. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
10. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)