|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Master Plan," where does Chinaski survive a harsh winter?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
2. Chinaski believes the best companion is _____________.
(a) His ex-girlfriend.
(c) His pets.
(d) His wife.
3. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
(a) His father.
(c) John Fante.
4. All the crazy poets Chinaski used to work with now have what kinds of jobs?
(a) Teaching jobs.
(b) Constructon jobs.
(c) Clergy jobs.
(d) No jobs.
5. In "Red Mercedes," what does the passenger hand the driver of the car from the glove box?
(a) A phone.
(b) A gun.
(c) A folder of documents.
(d) A knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chinaski's favorite place in "My Vanishing Act"?
2. According to Chinaski, where are all of his defenders?
3. In which poem does Bukowski relate his famous origin story?
4. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
5. Who is most fond of motivational cliches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
2. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
3. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
4. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
5. Why does Chinaski view criticism in a dismissive manner?
6. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
7. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
8. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
9. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
10. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)