|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
(a) A writer.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A boxer.
(d) An actor.
2. In "Drive Through Hell," where does Chinaski see the soul of the world?
(a) At a school.
(b) Near a park.
(c) On the freeway.
(d) In a diner.
3. Who is Emily Bukowski?
(a) Bukowski's grandmother.
(b) Bukowski's wife.
(c) Bukowski's mother.
(d) Bukowski's sister.
4. With whom does Chinaski seem to feel the strongest kinship?
(a) An English poet.
(b) An actor.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) A German composer.
5. Where does Chinaski give another driver a rude gesture?
(a) Supermarket parking lot.
(b) Library parking lot.
(c) School parking lot.
(d) Busy intersection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
2. In "Supposedly Famous," Chinaski takes stock of __________.
3. When Chinaski writes, who or what accompanies him?
4. Where is the man located in "The Man in the Brown Suit"?
5. What is the second thing the man Chinaski tries to help drops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
2. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
3. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
4. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
5. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
6. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
7. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
8. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
9. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
10. What is the poem "Together" about?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)