|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Termites of the Page," whom does Bukowski lambast?
(a) Middle class workers.
2. In "Red Mercedes," what does the passenger hand the driver of the car from the glove box?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A folder of documents.
(d) A phone.
3. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
4. What is the first thing that the man whom Chinaski tries to help drops?
(a) His glasses.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His wallet.
(d) His hat.
5. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His existence.
(c) His love life.
(d) His privilege.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
2. Which poem is considered a play on words?
3. In which poem does Chinaski struggle with writer's block?
4. Where is the man located in "The Man in the Brown Suit"?
5. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
2. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
3. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
4. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
5. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
6. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
7. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
8. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
9. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
10. What relationships are defined in "A Non-urgent Poem" and "For My Ivy League Friends"?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)