|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Chinaski seem to feel the strongest kinship?
(a) An actor.
(b) An English poet.
(c) A German composer.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
2. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
(c) Lack of ambition.
3. Who is Emily Bukowski?
(a) Bukowski's sister.
(b) Bukowski's mother.
(c) Bukowski's grandmother.
(d) Bukowski's wife.
4. When the thief in the boarding house tries to rob Chinaski, how does he get back at him?
(a) He hits him with a wine bottle.
(b) He takes his money.
(c) He sleeps with his girlfriend.
(d) He kills him.
5. In "Termites of the Page," whom does Bukowski lambast?
(a) Middle class workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski pity in "Supposedly Famous"?
2. Who is most fond of motivational cliches?
3. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Stride"?
4. Where is Chinaski's favorite place in "My Vanishing Act"?
5. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
2. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
3. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
4. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
5. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
6. What is significant about the poems following "The Master Plan" in terms of imagery?
7. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
8. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
9. Describe the events of the poem "Stride."
10. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)