|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom/what does Emily Bukowski tend?
(a) Her grandchildren.
(b) Her husband.
2. Who has an ironic death in Bukowski's work?
(b) Chinaski's father.
(c) Chinaski's uncle.
(d) The man in the red Mercedes.
3. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Fifteen years.
4. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
(a) The theater.
(b) The bank.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The sidewalk
5. In "The Stride," how old does Chinaski recall being?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Glenn Miller," Chinaski recalls what kind of shop?
2. All the crazy poets Chinaski used to work with now have what kinds of jobs?
3. Chinaski believes the best companion is _____________.
4. What is the name of the thief who lives in a boarding house in "Bad Times at the 3rd and Vermont Hotel"?
5. In "A Funny Guy," what is Schopenhauer's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
2. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
3. Describe the message of "For the Concerned."
4. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
5. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
6. What is the poem "Shoes" about?
7. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
8. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
9. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
10. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)