|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Working It Out," who is Gregory Peck portraying on television?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Mark Twain.
2. Which of the following is the setting for "Red Mercedes" and a frequent setting in Bukowski's work?
(a) Chinaski's father's house.
(c) Race track.
3. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A writer.
(c) An actor.
(d) A boxer.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Chinaski of the present in "Zero"?
5. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
(a) The sidewalk
(b) The bank.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Shoes," what does the young man think of the shoes?
2. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Stride"?
3. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
4. What significant event in history does Chinaski consider in "Sunny Side Down"?
5. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
2. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
3. What happens in "The Passing of a Great One" and "The Wine of Forever"?
4. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
5. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
6. What metaphor does Chinaski use to symbolize modern America?
7. How is the Chinaski of 1986 described?
8. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
9. How is Chinaski portrayed in "Zero"?
10. What does "The Master Plan" reveal about Chinaski?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)