|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the thief in the boarding house tries to rob Chinaski, how does he get back at him?
(a) He takes his money.
(b) He sleeps with his girlfriend.
(c) He kills him.
(d) He hits him with a wine bottle.
2. In "A Funny Guy," what is Schopenhauer's profession?
3. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
4. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
5. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
(a) His depression.
(b) His agony.
(c) His faith.
(d) His anger.
6. When Chinaski finds out he will have to live alone in "Rift," what does he feel?
(a) He feels angry.
(b) He feels that he can easily find somebody else.
(c) He does not feel at all alone.
(d) He feels very alone.
7. In "Shoes," what does the young man think of the shoes?
(a) He thinks they are ridiculous.
(b) He thinks they are sexy.
(c) He thinks they would look good on him.
(d) He has no feelings about them.
8. What significant event in history does Chinaski consider in "Sunny Side Down"?
(a) Cold War.
(b) Industrial Revolution.
(c) French Revolution.
(d) World War II.
9. What is the name of Chinaski's lover with whom he lived with on next to nothing?
10. With whom does Chinaski seem to feel the strongest kinship?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) An actor.
(c) A German composer.
(d) An English poet.
11. How old was Chinaski when he took a trip to Tijuana?
12. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
13. Saroyan insists that in order for him to write he needs to ______________.
14. Where does Chinaski live?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
15. In "Education," what does Chinaski remember?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His father.
(c) A family reunion.
(d) His years in college.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Friends within the Darkness," Chinaski listens to __________.
2. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
3. Who is Emily Bukowski?
4. Whom does Chinaski say he loves in "Supposedly Famous"?
5. Where is Chinaski's favorite place in "My Vanishing Act"?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)