|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of women does "Poor Al" date?
(a) Crazy women.
(b) Sad women.
(c) Absent women.
(d) Stupid women.
2. Saroyan flees from the United States to _________.
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Chinaski of the present in "Zero"?
4. To whom/what does Emily Bukowski tend?
(b) Her grandchildren.
(d) Her husband.
5. What is the name of Chinaski's friend in "The Stride"?
6. What is the format of the poems in this collection?
(c) Free verse.
7. In "A Non-urgent Poem," a man says that Chinaski has lost which of the following?
8. What was the name of Chinaski's teacher?
(a) Ms. Sorento.
(b) Ms. Samuels.
(c) Ms. Simms.
(d) Ms. Simpson.
9. Whom does Chinaski say he loves in "Supposedly Famous"?
(a) His critics.
(b) His wife.
(c) His parents.
(d) His cats.
10. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
(a) Lack of ambition.
11. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
12. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
(a) His faith.
(b) His agony.
(c) His depression.
(d) His anger.
13. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
(a) His existence.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His love life.
(d) His privilege.
14. Which poem is a short quip in which Bukowski says it is still nice to be Bukowski?
(a) "The Chemistry of Things."
(c) "The Still Trapeze."
(d) "Well, That's Just the Way It Is."
15. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
(a) The woman he lives with.
(b) His brother.
(c) His roommate.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Together" take place?
2. Who is the subject of the poem "Retired"?
3. What is the second thing the man Chinaski tries to help drops?
4. When the thief in the boarding house tries to rob Chinaski, how does he get back at him?
5. What is the name of the chemistry teacher who molested Chinaski's friend?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)