|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Emily Bukowski?
(a) Bukowski's wife.
(b) Bukowski's mother.
(c) Bukowski's sister.
(d) Bukowski's grandmother.
2. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
(c) John Fante.
(d) His father.
3. Saroyan flees from the United States to _________.
4. In "Education," what does Chinaski remember?
(a) His childhood.
(b) A family reunion.
(c) His father.
(d) His years in college.
5. In "My Friend, The Parking Lot Attendant," where does the attendant work?
(a) A race track.
(b) A fancy restaurant.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A dance club.
6. In school, Chinaski often had difficulty with ___________.
(b) Physical education.
7. According to Chinaski, how long did it take him to become the best drunk in the neighborhood?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eighteen years.
(d) Two years.
8. According to Chinaski, where are all of his defenders?
(b) North America.
(c) South America.
9. What is the name of the thief who lives in a boarding house in "Bad Times at the 3rd and Vermont Hotel"?
10. With whom does Chinaski seem to feel the strongest kinship?
(a) A German composer.
(b) An actor.
(c) An English poet.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
11. Where does "Together" take place?
(a) A hostel.
(b) A diner.
(c) A park.
(d) A rented room.
12. Who is the subject of the poem "Retired"?
(a) A homeless man.
(b) Chinaski's father.
(c) Chinaski's mother.
(d) Chinaski's brother.
13. Which poem is considered a play on words?
(b) "Oh Yes."
(c) "O Tempora! O Mores!"
(d) "The Passing of a Great One."
14. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
(a) 10,000 dollars.
(b) 3,000 dollars.
(c) 14,000 dollars.
(d) 7,000 dollars.
15. Which of the following is a theme not reflected by these poems?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Stride," how old does Chinaski recall being?
2. In "Putrefaction," back to which decade does Chinaski think the country is regressing?
3. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
4. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
5. Where does the woman in "A Good Time" want to be taken?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)