|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski pity in "Supposedly Famous"?
(a) His cats
(b) His brothers and sisters.
(c) Hs parents.
(d) His wife.
2. Which of the following is a theme not reflected by these poems?
3. How did Chinaski's friend from "The Stride" die?
(a) In a hunting accident.
(b) In a boating accident.
(c) In a car accident.
(d) In the war.
4. In "Red Mercedes," what does the passenger hand the driver of the car from the glove box?
(a) A folder of documents.
(b) A gun.
(c) A knife.
(d) A phone.
5. Where is the man located in "The Man in the Brown Suit"?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A bank.
(c) An office.
(d) A diner.
6. Saroyan insists that in order for him to write he needs to ______________.
7. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
(a) 10,000 dollars.
(b) 7,000 dollars.
(c) 14,000 dollars.
(d) 3,000 dollars.
8. What was Fante's occupation?
9. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Five years.
10. What is Chinaski's justification for indolence and excess?
(a) His existence.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His love life.
(d) His privilege.
11. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
(a) His roommate.
(b) The woman he lives with.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
12. Who is the subject of the poem "Retired"?
(a) Chinaski's brother.
(b) Chinaski's father.
(c) Chinaski's mother.
(d) A homeless man.
13. In "Working It Out," who is Gregory Peck portraying on television?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
14. In which poem does Bukowski relate his famous origin story?
(a) "My Vanishing Act."
(d) "The Master Plan."
15. What boy throws up in "Whorehouse"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Starting Fast," what does Chinaski ruminate on?
2. According to Chinaski, how long did it take him to become the best drunk in the neighborhood?
3. What is the name of the thief who lives in a boarding house in "Bad Times at the 3rd and Vermont Hotel"?
4. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
5. In "The Master Plan," where does Chinaski survive a harsh winter?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)