|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the thief in the boarding house tries to rob Chinaski, how does he get back at him?
(a) He hits him with a wine bottle.
(b) He takes his money.
(c) He sleeps with his girlfriend.
(d) He kills him.
2. To whom/what does Emily Bukowski tend?
(a) Her grandchildren.
(d) Her husband.
3. Who has an ironic death in Bukowski's work?
(a) Chinaski's father.
(b) The man in the red Mercedes.
(d) Chinaski's uncle.
4. In "Helping the Old," where does Chinaski try to assist an old man?
(a) The theater.
(b) The bank.
(c) The grocery store.
(d) The sidewalk
5. What does Bukowski seem to defend through his poetry?
(a) Lack of ambition.
6. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Ten years.
7. Where is Chinaski in "Sunny Side Down"?
(a) A diner.
(b) A park.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A movie theater.
8. Chinaski believes that most poets are which of the following?
9. What is the occupation of the subject in "That's Why Funerals Are So Sad"?
(a) An actor.
(b) A writer.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A boxer.
10. In "Friends within the Darkness," Chinaski listens to __________.
(a) Classical music.
(b) Rock music.
(c) Rap music.
(d) Country music.
11. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
(a) The lie of the American dream.
(c) American education.
(d) The fulfillment of ambitions.
12. Which poem is a short quip in which Bukowski says it is still nice to be Bukowski?
(a) "The Chemistry of Things."
(b) "Well, That's Just the Way It Is."
(d) "The Still Trapeze."
13. In "Glenn Miller," Chinaski recalls what kind of shop?
(a) Sports shop.
(b) Bicycle shop.
(c) Soda shop.
(d) Book shop.
14. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) The woman he lives with.
(d) His roommate.
15. According to Chinaski, where are all of his defenders?
(c) South America.
(d) North America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Saroyan insists that in order for him to write he needs to ______________.
2. In "Starting Fast," what does Chinaski ruminate on?
3. Where is Chinaski's favorite place in "My Vanishing Act"?
4. When Chinaski finds out he will have to live alone in "Rift," what does he feel?
5. What is the second thing the man Chinaski tries to help drops?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)