|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Chinaski owe to the IRS?
(a) 10,000 dollars.
(b) 3,000 dollars.
(c) 7,000 dollars.
(d) 14,000 dollars.
2. In "Starting Fast," what does Chinaski ruminate on?
(a) His family.
(b) His past.
(c) His age.
(d) His job.
3. Whom does Chinaski seem to think deserves better than any other man?
(a) John Fante.
(c) His father.
4. Whom does Chinaski pity in "Supposedly Famous"?
(a) Hs parents.
(b) His brothers and sisters.
(c) His cats
(d) His wife.
5. When the thief in the boarding house tries to rob Chinaski, how does he get back at him?
(a) He sleeps with his girlfriend.
(b) He kills him.
(c) He takes his money.
(d) He hits him with a wine bottle.
6. In "Rift," who gets mad at Chinaski?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His roommate.
(d) The woman he lives with.
7. Who has an ironic death in Bukowski's work?
(a) The man in the red Mercedes.
(b) Chinaski's uncle.
(c) Chinaski's father.
8. Whom does Chinaski say he loves in "Supposedly Famous"?
(a) His cats.
(b) His wife.
(c) His parents.
(d) His critics.
9. In which poem does Bukowski relate his famous origin story?
(a) "The Master Plan."
(b) "My Vanishing Act."
10. What is the second thing the man Chinaski tries to help drops?
(a) His cane.
(b) His paperwork.
(c) His medication.
(d) His hearing aid.
11. What was the name of Chinaski's teacher?
(a) Ms. Simms.
(b) Ms. Sorento.
(c) Ms. Samuels.
(d) Ms. Simpson.
12. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
(b) American education.
(c) The lie of the American dream.
(d) The fulfillment of ambitions.
13. In "Working It Out," who is Gregory Peck portraying on television?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
14. Where does Chinaski give another driver a rude gesture?
(a) School parking lot.
(b) Supermarket parking lot.
(c) Library parking lot.
(d) Busy intersection.
15. What is the first thing that the man whom Chinaski tries to help drops?
(a) His gloves.
(b) His glasses.
(c) His hat.
(d) His wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski believes the best companion is _____________.
2. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
3. Chinaski's work is most likely a rebuttal to authors like ______________.
4. What boy throws up in "Whorehouse"?
5. Which of the following is the setting for "Red Mercedes" and a frequent setting in Bukowski's work?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)