|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poem is considered a play on words?
(b) "O Tempora! O Mores!"
(c) "The Passing of a Great One."
(d) "Oh Yes."
2. In "A Funny Guy," what is Schopenhauer's profession?
3. What was Fante's occupation?
4. In "Darkness," what does Chinaski lament?
(b) American education.
(c) The lie of the American dream.
(d) The fulfillment of ambitions.
5. Where does "Together" take place?
(a) A hostel.
(b) A diner.
(c) A park.
(d) A rented room.
6. In "Red Mercedes," what does the passenger hand the driver of the car from the glove box?
(a) A phone.
(b) A folder of documents.
(c) A knife.
(d) A gun.
7. According to Chinaski, all rage and destructiveness is transformed into which of the following?
8. In "Starting Fast," what does Chinaski ruminate on?
(a) His family.
(b) His past.
(c) His job.
(d) His age.
9. What is the name of the chemistry teacher who molested Chinaski's friend?
(a) Mr. Harold.
(b) Mr. Hunn.
(c) Mr. Heston.
(d) Mr. Harpin.
10. In which poem does Chinaski struggle with writer's block?
(b) "I'll Take It."
(c) "Supposedly Famous."
11. In "Starting Fast," where does Chinaski sleep?
(a) A hostel.
(b) A stranger's home.
(c) A flower bed.
(d) A park bench.
12. In "Glenn Miller," Chinaski recalls what kind of shop?
(a) Book shop.
(b) Bicycle shop.
(c) Soda shop.
(d) Sports shop.
13. What was the name of Chinaski's teacher?
(a) Ms. Sorento.
(b) Ms. Simms.
(c) Ms. Simpson.
(d) Ms. Samuels.
14. What boy throws up in "Whorehouse"?
15. When Chinaski writes, who or what accompanies him?
(a) His brother.
(b) His dogs.
(c) His cats.
(d) His radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski assures the readers that even though he writes less about drinking and prostitutes, what is still intact?
2. In which poem does Bukowski relate his famous origin story?
3. Who is the subject of the poem "Retired"?
4. In "My First Affair With That Older Woman," how much older than Chinaski is the woman?
5. In "Drive Through Hell," where does Chinaski see the soul of the world?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)