Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the overall tone and themes of the poems in Bukowski's book.
2. Which poems best reflect Chinaski's connection to generations of artists preceding him and why?
3. What type of conflict does "Red Mercedes" describe?
4. Describe Chinaski's father and his perception of him.
5. Describe the message Bukowski presents in "Darkness."
6. How do many of the poems seem to serve as a defense of listlessness?
7. Which poem expresses a counterpoint of an indulgent and listless life?
8. What does Chinaski point out in "Termites of the Page"?
9. Describe the role of loss in Bukowski's poetry.
10. How does Chinaski feel about Joe O'Brien, and how does he react to his death?
11. What recurring motif is made most apparent in "Rift"?
12. What is Chinaski's view of solitude?
13. Describe Chinaski's view of humanity.
14. In his poems, Bukowski acknowledges that all people have what, and why?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)