|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inspires the story Magpie tells in Chapter 3?
2. In Magpie's story in Chapter 3, there are how many dragons in the land?
3. Besides Magpie, who wants to accompany Raymond to rescue his father?
4. Raymond tries to help a boy with what kind of work, in Chapter 3?
5. Back in the imaginary story, who promises not to be a stowaway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beatrice annoyed after the rescue?
2. In Magpie's story, inspired by Raymond, why is the father sad?
3. What happens when Raymond and his friends arrive at the bottom of the mountain?
4. What does Raymond reveal about himself in Chapter 4?
5. What story, inspired by Raymond, does Magpie tell in Chapter 3?
6. How do blueberry bushes help rescue Raymond and his father from the cage?
7. What happens in Chapter 3 when Raymond tries to be nice at school?
8. What did the fifth graders in Chapter 4 tell Paley about the new play rule?
9. In Chapter 3, why were Paley's students nervous and what did they do because of their nervousness?
10. When Beatrice finds out that students still think Raymond is mean after he tries to be nice, what advice does Beatrice give Raymond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
Essay Topic 2
How does or could Paley's new rule resolve or prevent certain issues that arise in the imaginary story? Cite several specific examples and provide supporting details.
Essay Topic 3
How does Prince Kareem's character in the imaginary story compare and contrast to Paley's role in her classroom in regards to children at play?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)