|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his dream Raymond sees his father inside of what?
2. Who inspires the story Magpie tells in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 4, Lisa wanted who to like her more than Mary Louise?
4. In Chapter 4 what surprises the dragons when they wake up?
5. Who was sad that the new class would already have the new play rule in place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 2
Through the book. Lisa and Beatrice's behavior has fluctuated from one extreme to another. Explain these varying responses and connect them with how students (all grades) respond to Paley's experiment.
Essay Topic 3
How does Prince Kareem's character in the imaginary story compare and contrast to Paley's role in her classroom in regards to children at play?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)