|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the new rule was imposed, what did Paley get rid of in her classroom?
2. Who sees the herd of sleeping dragons first, and calls the others over?
3. In Chapter 4, Lisa wanted who to like her more than Mary Louise?
4. Who tells their own story in Chapter 4?
5. Raymond has decided to show everyone that he is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Raymond's father tell?
2. In Chapter 3, after trying to be nice to other students in his School why does Raymond cry out for Magpie?
3. How did Paley respond to her students/ concerns in Chapter 3?
4. How was Lisa affected by the imposition of the new rule?
5. What story does Magpie tell at the Corporal's prompting?
6. When Beatrice finds out that students still think Raymond is mean after he tries to be nice, what advice does Beatrice give Raymond?
7. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
8. Why are the dragons confused when the awaken?
9. What story, inspired by Raymond, does Magpie tell in Chapter 3?
10. What was Lisa worried about as she was faced with immediate imposition of the new play rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the behavior of the girls against Raymond in Chapter 2 illustrate the behavior of students in the classroom, like Paley's class, and how does the girls behavior demonstrate the behavior Paley wants to discourage with her new play rule.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Angelo said that what is going on with play in the classroom is like what is going on where Magpie lives. How does Angelo seem to come to this conclusion and is it accurate based on details provided in this part of the book?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)