|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who trains the baby dragon in Magpie's story?
2. In Chapter 3, Raymond wants to pretend he is a what?
3. Who asks Magpie for a story while Raymond and the others pretend play?
4. Who asks Raymond why he is crying out, in Chapter 3?
5. Who walks away at the end of the Magpie's story about the baby dragon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
2. What story does Magpie tell at the Corporal's prompting?
3. In Magpie's story, inspired by Raymond, why is the father sad?
4. Why is Beatrice annoyed after the rescue?
5. When Beatrice finds out that students still think Raymond is mean after he tries to be nice, what advice does Beatrice give Raymond?
6. What was Lisa worried about as she was faced with immediate imposition of the new play rule?
7. What happens when Raymond and his friends arrive at the bottom of the mountain?
8. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
9. What happens in Chapter 3, after Magpie tells Raymond he is Raymond's friend?
10. What story, inspired by Raymond, does Magpie tell in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the behavior of the girls against Raymond in Chapter 2 illustrate the behavior of students in the classroom, like Paley's class, and how does the girls behavior demonstrate the behavior Paley wants to discourage with her new play rule.
Essay Topic 2
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Paley observes the evolving rule in relation to students learning democratic procedures; adapting the rule to cover story-telling; and no longer looking for loopholes. Discuss each of these results. How they came to be and how they affect the students and the rule itself. Citing details from previous chapters may be helpful.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)