|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the fourth grader who asked Paley how the rule is working?
2. Raymond tries to help a boy with what kind of work, in Chapter 3?
3. Which student worried aloud that other students could be mean and hurtful with the new rule, to which other students suggested solutions?
4. Once the new rule was in place in Paley's classroom, who became a rule enforcer?
5. Who encourages the dragons to explore the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
2. What happened when Paley visited third graders in Chapter 4?
3. How are the dragons encouraged to to explore the world?
4. Why is Beatrice annoyed after the rescue?
5. What was Lisa worried about as she was faced with immediate imposition of the new play rule?
6. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
7. What story does Magpie tell at the Corporal's prompting?
8. In Chapter 3, why were Paley's students nervous and what did they do because of their nervousness?
9. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
10. What does Raymond reveal about himself in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briefly explain Paley's findings from her inquiry for each grade level, 1st through 5th, then examine how Paley's students respond to these answers as Paley reports the responses back to them.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Paley led her class into a discussion about understanding rejection during play. The students engaged and talked about when they have been rejected; and how they felt for themselves and other students. How do the students comments during this discussion illustrate their understanding of rejection during play, and do any of their comments address Paley's question of whether such rejection is fair, considering that the classroom is the property of all the students.
Essay Topic 3
Lisa had been fairly supportive of the new play rule. In Chapter 3 Lisa's perceptions about the new rule changed. Discuss Lisa's perception about the new rule and how it has evolved into what it is in Chapter 3. (Use insights from previous chapters to support your responses.)
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)