|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Magpie, who wants to accompany Raymond to rescue his father?
2. What was the title of Chapter 3 of the author's book about the play rule experiment?
3. Who is a member of the royal guard?
4. Who does Raymond distrust when he wants to pretend play?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 3 we find that Paley has decided to do what with her new play rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Paley respond to her students/ concerns in Chapter 3?
2. Back in the classroom in Chapter 3, what suggestion did Lisa have about Beatrice's frustration/jealousy?
3. What happens in Chapter 3, after Magpie tells Raymond he is Raymond's friend?
4. What story, inspired by Raymond, does Magpie tell in Chapter 3?
5. How was Lisa affected by the imposition of the new rule?
6. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
7. What happened with loop holes regarding the new play rule according to Paley in Chapter 4?
8. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
9. Why is Beatrice annoyed after the rescue?
10. In Chapter 3, after trying to be nice to other students in his School why does Raymond cry out for Magpie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Prince Kareem's character in the imaginary story compare and contrast to Paley's role in her classroom in regards to children at play?
Essay Topic 2
How has implementation of the new rule affected the perceptions of the third and fifth grade students in last Chapter of the book? Include information from previous chapters that help define student perceptions before any changed perceptions.
Essay Topic 3
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)