|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who needs help to go to the land of the six mountains?
2. Who tells Raymond and friends to sleep at the foot of the mountain before waking early to climb?
3. Who does Raymond distrust when he wants to pretend play?
4. What do Raymond, Beatrice, Annabella and Alexandra all do together in Chapter 3?
5. Back in the imaginary story, who reveals running away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Back in the classroom in Chapter 3, what suggestion did Lisa have about Beatrice's frustration/jealousy?
2. When Beatrice finds out that students still think Raymond is mean after he tries to be nice, what advice does Beatrice give Raymond?
3. In Magpie's story, inspired by Raymond, why is the father sad?
4. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
5. What was Lisa worried about as she was faced with immediate imposition of the new play rule?
6. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
7. In Chapter 3, after trying to be nice to other students in his School why does Raymond cry out for Magpie?
8. How do blueberry bushes help rescue Raymond and his father from the cage?
9. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
10. What happens in Chapter 3 when Raymond tries to be nice at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the behavior of the girls against Raymond in Chapter 2 illustrate the behavior of students in the classroom, like Paley's class, and how does the girls behavior demonstrate the behavior Paley wants to discourage with her new play rule.
Essay Topic 2
Paley has come to the end of Chapter 2 in her book and is getting closer to imposing her new rule. Discuss Paley's developing dilemma about the fairness and feasibility of her own rule.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)