|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the new rule was imposed, what did Paley get rid of in her classroom?
2. Raymond has decided to show everyone that he is what?
3. Who makes a welcome home sign for Raymond's father?
4. What is the name of the fourth grader who asked Paley how the rule is working?
5. What does Raymond see in his dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Lisa affected by the imposition of the new rule?
2. What was Lisa worried about as she was faced with immediate imposition of the new play rule?
3. What happened when Paley visited third graders in Chapter 4?
4. How did Paley respond to her students/ concerns in Chapter 3?
5. What story, inspired by Raymond, does Magpie tell in Chapter 3?
6. What story does Raymond's father tell?
7. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
8. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
9. Back in the classroom in Chapter 3, what suggestion did Lisa have about Beatrice's frustration/jealousy?
10. Why are the dragons confused when the awaken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has implementation of the new rule affected the perceptions of the third and fifth grade students in last Chapter of the book? Include information from previous chapters that help define student perceptions before any changed perceptions.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
Essay Topic 3
How does Prince Kareem's character in the imaginary story compare and contrast to Paley's role in her classroom in regards to children at play?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)