|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beatrice become to get near the cage holding Raymond and his father?
2. In Chapter 3, Raymond wants to pretend he is a what?
3. What is the name of the fourth grader who asked Paley how the rule is working?
4. Who asks Raymond why he is crying out, in Chapter 3?
5. Who encourages the dragons to explore the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
2. What story does Magpie tell at the Corporal's prompting?
3. What did the fifth graders in Chapter 4 tell Paley about the new play rule?
4. How are the dragons encouraged to to explore the world?
5. When Beatrice finds out that students still think Raymond is mean after he tries to be nice, what advice does Beatrice give Raymond?
6. Why did some of Paley's student's reference Raymond from the imaginary story in the beginning of Chapter 3?
7. Why are the dragons confused when the awaken?
8. Back in the classroom in Chapter 3, what suggestion did Lisa have about Beatrice's frustration/jealousy?
9. What story, inspired by Raymond, does Magpie tell in Chapter 3?
10. What does Raymond reveal about himself in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lisa had been fairly supportive of the new play rule. In Chapter 3 Lisa's perceptions about the new rule changed. Discuss Lisa's perception about the new rule and how it has evolved into what it is in Chapter 3. (Use insights from previous chapters to support your responses.)
Essay Topic 2
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 3
How does or could Paley's new rule resolve or prevent certain issues that arise in the imaginary story? Cite several specific examples and provide supporting details.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)