|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the new rule was in place in Paley's classroom, who became a rule enforcer?
2. In Chapter 4 what surprises the dragons when they wake up?
3. Who has an uncle waiting to meet them, according to the end of Chapter 3?
4. What was the title of Chapter 3 of the author's book about the play rule experiment?
5. Back in the imaginary story, who promises not to be a stowaway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Raymond reveal about himself in Chapter 4?
2. Why is Beatrice annoyed after the rescue?
3. What happens in Chapter 3, after Magpie tells Raymond he is Raymond's friend?
4. How are the dragons encouraged to to explore the world?
5. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
6. In Magpie's story, inspired by Raymond, why is the father sad?
7. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
8. How did Paley respond to her students/ concerns in Chapter 3?
9. Why did some of Paley's student's reference Raymond from the imaginary story in the beginning of Chapter 3?
10. What happened with loop holes regarding the new play rule according to Paley in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 2
How does or could Paley's new rule resolve or prevent certain issues that arise in the imaginary story? Cite several specific examples and provide supporting details.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the blueberry bush leading the dragons out of the fog in Chapter 4 in relation to Paley's using the new rule and complementing story to help her students learn to include rather than exclude during play.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)