|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes a welcome home sign for Raymond's father?
2. In Raymond's pretend play what does Beatrice want to be?
3. Raymond has decided to show everyone that he is what?
4. While playing pretend, who does Raymond want to find?
5. In Magpie's story about the baby dragon, what are the other dragons taking from the mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some of Paley's student's reference Raymond from the imaginary story in the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What happens when Raymond and his friends arrive at the bottom of the mountain?
3. What story does Magpie tell at the Corporal's prompting?
4. How was Lisa affected by the imposition of the new rule?
5. In Chapter 3, after trying to be nice to other students in his School why does Raymond cry out for Magpie?
6. What happened when Paley visited third graders in Chapter 4?
7. What does Raymond reveal about himself in Chapter 4?
8. In Chapter 3, why were Paley's students nervous and what did they do because of their nervousness?
9. Why is Beatrice annoyed after the rescue?
10. Back in the classroom in Chapter 3, what suggestion did Lisa have about Beatrice's frustration/jealousy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Paley observes the evolving rule in relation to students learning democratic procedures; adapting the rule to cover story-telling; and no longer looking for loopholes. Discuss each of these results. How they came to be and how they affect the students and the rule itself. Citing details from previous chapters may be helpful.
Essay Topic 3
According to Chapter 3, who is exempt from the new rule? Why is this person exempt? Should this person be exempt? How does this exemption affect the success of the new rule?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)