|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tiny people, the unsafe mountain is surrounded by ____ and clouds.
2. Who is not there to meet Annabella and her father when they arrive on shore at Magpie's Kingdom home?
3. In the story about the lonely princess, the bird helps the princess find a ___ child.
4. Magpie is found alone and under this, after birth?
5. After climbing the mountain path, Annabella discovers that the tiny people live inside of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In reviewing her notes, before speaking in Arizona, Paley noticed that her students had expressed what reasons for opposing the rule?
2. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
4. When speaking in Arizona, Paley discovered two ways teachers handled the rejection involved in play. What are they?
5. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
6. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
7. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
8. What do the tiny people tell Magpie and Annabella about the Seventh mountain?
9. Magpie and Annabella offer to help rescue the flower prince. What happens with the rescue?
10. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Chapter 3, who is exempt from the new rule? Why is this person exempt? Should this person be exempt? How does this exemption affect the success of the new rule?
Essay Topic 2
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 3
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)