|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who almost steps on Magpie after his birth?
2. Magpie tells a story about a lonely princess who wished for what to come and help her?
3. After forgetting the rules, how does the now sad princess in Magpie's story in Chapter 1 get home?
4. Which grade, during Paley's inquiries in Chapter 2, insisted that they have become too mean to use the new rule and think it should be introduced earlier?
5. According to Magpie's story when can the lonely princess be with the child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Magpie's story why is it important for the lonely princess to only play with the fairy child during the day, and what happens when she forgets this rule?
2. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
3. What happens while Annabella is bedding down for the night during the journey to Tall Pines?
4. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
5. After Magpie shares the story of the lonely princess, how does Annabella respond?
6. In Chapter 1, Magpie tells a story. What is it about?
7. What do the tiny people tell Magpie and Annabella about the Seventh mountain?
8. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
9. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
10. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Angelo said that what is going on with play in the classroom is like what is going on where Magpie lives. How does Angelo seem to come to this conclusion and is it accurate based on details provided in this part of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)