|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While other students in Paley's class create pictures of various story characters, Lisa drew which character?
2. In Chapter 2, who comforts Beatrice after she cries and helps her feel accepted?
3. Where do Annabella and her father live once they are in Magpie's Kingdom home?
4. After leaving the tiny flower people, Annabella, her father, and Magpie leave and cross the ___ mountain.
5. Who plots and digs a hole for Annabella to get trapped in?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
2. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
3. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
4. After Magpie shares the story of the lonely princess, how does Annabella respond?
5. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
6. Once the lonely princess is stranded and can not get back home from playing with the fairies, how does she end up getting home?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
8. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
9. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
10. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Angelo said that what is going on with play in the classroom is like what is going on where Magpie lives. How does Angelo seem to come to this conclusion and is it accurate based on details provided in this part of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 3
Lisa had been fairly supportive of the new play rule. In Chapter 3 Lisa's perceptions about the new rule changed. Discuss Lisa's perception about the new rule and how it has evolved into what it is in Chapter 3. (Use insights from previous chapters to support your responses.)
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)