|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After climbing the mountain path, Annabella discovers that the tiny people live inside of what?
2. Who reinforced the loneliness of outcast students, according to Paley in Chapter 1?
3. What color is Raymond's hair?
4. What color is the bird that comes to help the lonely princess in Magpie's story in Chapter 1?
5. Beatrice has a sister named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
2. What did Paley discover from talking to students about the "bosses" in play?
3. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
4. In reviewing her notes, before speaking in Arizona, Paley noticed that her students had expressed what reasons for opposing the rule?
5. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
6. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
7. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
8. Who arrives during Raymond's initiated pretend play and what does this person request?
9. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
10. How did the second graders respond when Paley asked them about having bosses during play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has implementation of the new rule affected the perceptions of the third and fifth grade students in last Chapter of the book? Include information from previous chapters that help define student perceptions before any changed perceptions.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Angelo said that what is going on with play in the classroom is like what is going on where Magpie lives. How does Angelo seem to come to this conclusion and is it accurate based on details provided in this part of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)