|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Inside the castle Magpie finds a girl doing what?
2. As the journey to Magpie's Kingdom home reaches the sea, they realize they are about to miss the ship because they hear what in the distance?
3. Why was Angelo sad in Chapter 1?
4. Who is not there to meet Annabella and her father when they arrive on shore at Magpie's Kingdom home?
5. Back in Paley's classroom, which one of Paley's students told their own story where everyone plays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
2. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
3. Magpie and Annabella offer to help rescue the flower prince. What happens with the rescue?
4. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
5. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
6. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
7. What did Paley discover from talking to students about the "bosses" in play?
8. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
9. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
10. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paley has come to the end of Chapter 2 in her book and is getting closer to imposing her new rule. Discuss Paley's developing dilemma about the fairness and feasibility of her own rule.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Prince Kareem's character in the imaginary story compare and contrast to Paley's role in her classroom in regards to children at play?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)