Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nelson is rejected in play because he did not want to play what role chosen by other children?
2. After Magpie finished telling a story to the flower prince, the flower prince laughed and gave Magpie what?
3. In Chapter 2, after Lisa told her story, Paley realized that Lisa wanted to be like who from the imaginary story?
4. Annabella leads Magpie down where in the story?
5. What is the name of the Queen's son that needs to be rescued?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do blueberry bushes help rescue Raymond and his father from the cage?
2. What story does Magpie tell at the Corporal's prompting?
3. What happens in Chapter 3 when Raymond tries to be nice at school?
4. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
5. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
6. In Chapter 3, when Magpie ended his story inspired by Raymond, how did Raymond respond?
7. What happens in Chapter 3, after Magpie tells Raymond he is Raymond's friend?
8. In Magpie's story, inspired by Raymond, why is the father sad?
9. In Chapter 3, when Raymond announces he wants to play pretend, who joins him?
10. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
Essay Topic 1
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)