|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a news story Magpie tells the flower prince, the hero boy defeats a lizard with what?
2. When Annabella and her father reach the shore for Magpie's Kingdom home who is there to greet them besides Alexandra?
3. What is the name of the Queen's son that needs to be rescued?
4. What do the girls ask Beatrice to do to Raymond?
5. As Raymond leaves to see his mother, who follows Raymond?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
2. What did Paley discover from talking to students about the "bosses" in play?
3. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
4. After Magpie shares the story of the lonely princess, how does Annabella respond?
5. What do the tiny people tell Magpie and Annabella about the Seventh mountain?
6. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
7. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
8. In Chapter 1, Magpie tells a story. What is it about?
9. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
10. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Angelo said that what is going on with play in the classroom is like what is going on where Magpie lives. How does Angelo seem to come to this conclusion and is it accurate based on details provided in this part of the book?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)