|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Raymond enters this place and his mother is not there.
2. Annabella leads Magpie down where in the story?
3. What is the name of the tiny people's Queen?
4. Who almost steps on Magpie after his birth?
5. After forgetting the rules, how does the now sad princess in Magpie's story in Chapter 1 get home?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
3. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
4. In reviewing her notes, before speaking in Arizona, Paley noticed that her students had expressed what reasons for opposing the rule?
5. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
6. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
7. What does Kareem tell Annabella about the flowers that close up after she tried to pick them in the desert?
8. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
9. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
10. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Prince Kareem's character in the imaginary story compare and contrast to Paley's role in her classroom in regards to children at play?
Essay Topic 2
Angelo told Paley about his dream of being alone and that he was sad because of this. Annabella is found sad, alone, with her doll and refuses help. Compare and contrast similarities between these "outcasts," Angelo and Annabella.
Essay Topic 3
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)