|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Annabella and her father live once they are in Magpie's Kingdom home?
2. In Magpie's story, on what day does the lonely princess forget the rules while she is with her new friends?
3. In the story about the lonely princess, the bird helps the princess find a ___ child.
4. Prince Kareem is writing a book about what?
5. Paley looked back at discussions with her students and decided that play develops ____ and that this also develops out of play.
Short Essay Questions
1. In reviewing her notes, before speaking in Arizona, Paley noticed that her students had expressed what reasons for opposing the rule?
2. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
3. After Magpie shares the story of the lonely princess, how does Annabella respond?
4. Once the lonely princess is stranded and can not get back home from playing with the fairies, how does she end up getting home?
5. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
6. In Magpie's story why is it important for the lonely princess to only play with the fairy child during the day, and what happens when she forgets this rule?
7. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
8. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
9. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
10. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Chapter 3, who is exempt from the new rule? Why is this person exempt? Should this person be exempt? How does this exemption affect the success of the new rule?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Angelo said that what is going on with play in the classroom is like what is going on where Magpie lives. How does Angelo seem to come to this conclusion and is it accurate based on details provided in this part of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)