|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Paley in Chapter 1, some of the children believed that the point of play was to show what?
2. The girl inside the castle is named Annabella and she is descended from ___ kings and queens.
3. Why are the ship's crew and captain upset, as Annabella and her father learn once aboard?
4. What color is Raymond's hair?
5. After forgetting the rules, how does the now sad princess in Magpie's story in Chapter 1 get home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Magpie's story why is it important for the lonely princess to only play with the fairy child during the day, and what happens when she forgets this rule?
2. After Magpie shares the story of the lonely princess, how does Annabella respond?
3. How did the second graders respond when Paley asked them about having bosses during play?
4. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
5. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
6. Once the lonely princess is stranded and can not get back home from playing with the fairies, how does she end up getting home?
7. Why did Paley put up a sign with a new rule for play, and what was her the response of her class?
8. Following Magpie after the moving flowers over the mountain, what do they discover?
9. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
10. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Angelo told Paley about his dream of being alone and that he was sad because of this. Annabella is found sad, alone, with her doll and refuses help. Compare and contrast similarities between these "outcasts," Angelo and Annabella.
Essay Topic 2
Lisa had been fairly supportive of the new play rule. In Chapter 3 Lisa's perceptions about the new rule changed. Discuss Lisa's perception about the new rule and how it has evolved into what it is in Chapter 3. (Use insights from previous chapters to support your responses.)
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)