|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Kingdom from which Magpie has come?
2. Running alongside Magpie down a mountain, following a crisis, Annabella and Magpie discover an eagle has stolen what from some tiny people?
3. The girl inside the castle is named Annabella and she is descended from ___ kings and queens.
4. When the flower prince discovers that Annabella can not stay and live with him what does he do?
5. How many kids from Paley's class seemed happy about this new rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
2. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
3. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
4. What does Kareem tell Annabella about the flowers that close up after she tried to pick them in the desert?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
6. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
7. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
8. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
9. How did the second graders respond when Paley asked them about having bosses during play?
10. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does or could Paley's new rule resolve or prevent certain issues that arise in the imaginary story? Cite several specific examples and provide supporting details.
Essay Topic 2
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 3
How has implementation of the new rule affected the perceptions of the third and fifth grade students in last Chapter of the book? Include information from previous chapters that help define student perceptions before any changed perceptions.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)