|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Raymond leaves to see his mother, who follows Raymond?
2. Who jumps into the hole with Annabella?
3. Who reinforced the loneliness of outcast students, according to Paley in Chapter 1?
4. What is the name of the Kingdom from which Magpie has come?
5. At sundown, what does the lonely princess lose, according to magpie's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some of Paley's student's reference Raymond from the imaginary story in the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. Why did problems arise with the new play rule and story telling?
3. What happened when Paley visited third graders in Chapter 4?
4. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
5. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
6. What did the fifth graders in Chapter 4 tell Paley about the new play rule?
7. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
8. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
9. How are the dragons encouraged to to explore the world?
10. Why did Paley put up a sign with a new rule for play, and what was her the response of her class?
Essay Topic 1
How has implementation of the new rule affected the perceptions of the third and fifth grade students in last Chapter of the book? Include information from previous chapters that help define student perceptions before any changed perceptions.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Paley observes the evolving rule in relation to students learning democratic procedures; adapting the rule to cover story-telling; and no longer looking for loopholes. Discuss each of these results. How they came to be and how they affect the students and the rule itself. Citing details from previous chapters may be helpful.
Essay Topic 3
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)