|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the ship's crew and captain upset, as Annabella and her father learn once aboard?
2. During discussions with students, one grade decided to have what rule as an alternative to having a boss during play?
3. Clara, one of Paley's students, said she is rejected by whom?
4. What do the girls ask Beatrice to do to Raymond?
5. Once night falls on the journey to Magpie's Kingdom Home, they stop for the night, and Annabella spies what as she prepares her bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
2. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
3. In Chapter 1, Magpie tells a story. What is it about?
4. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
5. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
6. Magpie and Annabella offer to help rescue the flower prince. What happens with the rescue?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
8. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
9. Why did Paley put up a sign with a new rule for play, and what was her the response of her class?
10. What happens while Annabella is bedding down for the night during the journey to Tall Pines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, Paley observes the evolving rule in relation to students learning democratic procedures; adapting the rule to cover story-telling; and no longer looking for loopholes. Discuss each of these results. How they came to be and how they affect the students and the rule itself. Citing details from previous chapters may be helpful.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the blueberry bush leading the dragons out of the fog in Chapter 4 in relation to Paley's using the new rule and complementing story to help her students learn to include rather than exclude during play.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)