|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Paley's classroom, which one of Paley's students told their own story where everyone plays?
2. While other students in Paley's class create pictures of various story characters, Lisa drew which character?
3. Beatrice has a sister named what?
4. How do Annabella and Prince Kareem travel to Magpie's Kingdom home?
5. After forgetting the rules, how does the now sad princess in Magpie's story in Chapter 1 get home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
2. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
3. What do the tiny people tell Magpie and Annabella about the Seventh mountain?
4. According to Paley what social practice happens daily, and how did Angelo relate to this statement?
5. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
6. Why did Paley put up a sign with a new rule for play, and what was her the response of her class?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
8. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
9. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
10. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Paley led her class into a discussion about understanding rejection during play. The students engaged and talked about when they have been rejected; and how they felt for themselves and other students. How do the students comments during this discussion illustrate their understanding of rejection during play, and do any of their comments address Paley's question of whether such rejection is fair, considering that the classroom is the property of all the students.
Essay Topic 2
Paley had to make speeches in Canada and Arizona. Briefly describe the reason for each trip, and then analyze how Paley's classroom discussions and student responses about the new play rule affect Paley's presentations in each venue as well as her thoughts just before and after each event.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the blueberry bush leading the dragons out of the fog in Chapter 4 in relation to Paley's using the new rule and complementing story to help her students learn to include rather than exclude during play.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)