|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With a hoarse voice in Chapter 1, Paley went off to speak where?
2. Once night falls on the journey to Magpie's Kingdom Home, they stop for the night, and Annabella spies what as she prepares her bed?
3. Paley looked back at discussions with her students and decided that play develops ____ and that this also develops out of play.
4. In the story Magpie told to the flower prince, what does the eagle steal?
5. Who reinforced the loneliness of outcast students, according to Paley in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
2. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
3. What happens while Annabella is bedding down for the night during the journey to Tall Pines?
4. In Magpie's story why is it important for the lonely princess to only play with the fairy child during the day, and what happens when she forgets this rule?
5. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
6. In Chapter 1, Magpie tells a story. What is it about?
7. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
8. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
9. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
10. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
Essay Topic 3
Briefly explain Paley's findings from her inquiry for each grade level, 1st through 5th, then examine how Paley's students respond to these answers as Paley reports the responses back to them.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)