|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once it becomes night, Magpie directs his rescue companions to turn back because they can not do what?
2. In Paley's mind, the Magpie helped her by flying around the castle how many times?
3. At the end of Chapter 2, Paley's story revealed that this person was the thief from the ship.
4. Beatrice has a sister named what?
5. While other students in Paley's class create pictures of various story characters, Lisa drew which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Annabella is bedding down for the night during the journey to Tall Pines?
2. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
3. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
4. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
5. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
6. How did the second graders respond when Paley asked them about having bosses during play?
7. Magpie and Annabella offer to help rescue the flower prince. What happens with the rescue?
8. Following Magpie after the moving flowers over the mountain, what do they discover?
9. According to Paley what social practice happens daily, and how did Angelo relate to this statement?
10. What does Kareem tell Annabella about the flowers that close up after she tried to pick them in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 2
What parallels can be drawn between Paley's imposition of the new play rule in Chapter 3, and Raymond's attempts in the imaginary story to be nice?
Essay Topic 3
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)