|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the journey to Magpie's Kingdom home reaches the sea, they realize they are about to miss the ship because they hear what in the distance?
2. Paley told her class a story to help them ___ the new rule.
3. In Magpie's story to the flower prince, the hero boy threw stinging liquid back at what creature?
4. Prince Kareem is writing a book about what?
5. Which grade revealed during questioning about the fairness of the new rule that they remembered it is bad not to let other kids play?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
2. Magpie and Annabella offer to help rescue the flower prince. What happens with the rescue?
3. How did the second graders respond when Paley asked them about having bosses during play?
4. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
5. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
6. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
7. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
8. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
9. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
10. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How effective is the Magpie story initiated by Paley, in Chapter 1, in engaging students in a dialogue about the rejection in play, and helping them connect with others so they feel a need to use Paley's new rule? Specifically discuss how several of the students change and/or remain the same after hearing the story and the surrounding discussions.
Essay Topic 2
Briefly explain Paley's findings from her inquiry for each grade level, 1st through 5th, then examine how Paley's students respond to these answers as Paley reports the responses back to them.
Essay Topic 3
How do Magpie and the Uncle rescue the flower prince from the eagle, and how does this rescue effort demonstrate working together as an embodiment of Paley's goal with the new play rule?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)