|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which grade revealed during questioning about the fairness of the new rule that they remembered it is bad not to let other kids play?
2. What is the name of the Queen's son that needs to be rescued?
3. In Magpie's story to the flower prince, the hero boy threw stinging liquid back at what creature?
4. The tiny people suggested that what live in the unsafe mountain?
5. Once night falls on the journey to Magpie's Kingdom Home, they stop for the night, and Annabella spies what as she prepares her bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
2. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
3. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
4. What did Paley discover from talking to students about the "bosses" in play?
5. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
6. After Magpie shares the story of the lonely princess, how does Annabella respond?
7. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
8. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
9. What does Kareem tell Annabella about the flowers that close up after she tried to pick them in the desert?
10. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 2
How has implementation of the new rule affected the perceptions of the third and fifth grade students in last Chapter of the book? Include information from previous chapters that help define student perceptions before any changed perceptions.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1 Paley talked about friendship and play. She also discussed connections between play exclusion strengthening with age. Discuss both general conclusions and how they may/may not affect Paley's goal to eliminate this social practice in her classroom.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)