|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Prince Kareem about Magpie?
2. In the story about the lonely princess, the bird helps the princess find a ___ child.
3. How many kids from Paley's class seemed happy about this new rule?
4. According to Magpie's story when can the lonely princess be with the child?
5. According to Paley in Chapter 1, some of the children believed that the point of play was to show what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
3. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
4. Back in the class, in Chapter 2, why was Nelson rejected in play?
5. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
6. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
7. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
8. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
9. In Magpie's story why is it important for the lonely princess to only play with the fairy child during the day, and what happens when she forgets this rule?
10. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Paley's students perception of the new play rule as "protection" in Chapter 4? Protection from what? Also discuss how these students view the fairness or lack thereof of the new play rule. Be specific, citing examples from the entire book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the blueberry bush leading the dragons out of the fog in Chapter 4 in relation to Paley's using the new rule and complementing story to help her students learn to include rather than exclude during play.
Essay Topic 3
How does or could Paley's new rule resolve or prevent certain issues that arise in the imaginary story? Cite several specific examples and provide supporting details.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)