|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl inside the castle is named Annabella and she is descended from ___ kings and queens.
2. Who draws a picture of Magpie and tapes it to the wall?
3. What is created over the hole to entice Annabella to come close enough to fall in?
4. What do the girls ask Beatrice to do to Raymond?
5. The tiny people suggested that what live in the unsafe mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
2. What did Paley discover from talking to students about the "bosses" in play?
3. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
4. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
5. When speaking in Arizona, Paley discovered two ways teachers handled the rejection involved in play. What are they?
6. Following Magpie after the moving flowers over the mountain, what do they discover?
7. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
8. In Chapter 1, Magpie tells a story. What is it about?
9. What do the tiny people tell Magpie and Annabella about the Seventh mountain?
10. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Paley observes the evolving rule in relation to students learning democratic procedures; adapting the rule to cover story-telling; and no longer looking for loopholes. Discuss each of these results. How they came to be and how they affect the students and the rule itself. Citing details from previous chapters may be helpful.
Essay Topic 2
Paley had to make speeches in Canada and Arizona. Briefly describe the reason for each trip, and then analyze how Paley's classroom discussions and student responses about the new play rule affect Paley's presentations in each venue as well as her thoughts just before and after each event.
Essay Topic 3
Lisa had been fairly supportive of the new play rule. In Chapter 3 Lisa's perceptions about the new rule changed. Discuss Lisa's perception about the new rule and how it has evolved into what it is in Chapter 3. (Use insights from previous chapters to support your responses.)
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)