|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Magpie tells Annabella about Alexandra who is a ___ at Magpie's home castle.
2. Once night falls on the journey to Magpie's Kingdom Home, they stop for the night, and Annabella spies what as she prepares her bed?
3. What surprises Prince Kareem about Magpie?
(a) Magpie's color.
(b) Magpie dreams.
(c) Magpie speaks.
(d) Magpie can't fly.
4. Why are the ship's crew and captain upset, as Annabella and her father learn once aboard?
(a) They will be delayed one day.
(b) There is a storm coming.
(c) There is a food thief on board.
(d) The ship is damaged.
5. What common practice among small children did the author hope to stop with her experiment?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story about the lonely princess, the bird helps the princess find a ___ child.
2. What color is the bird that comes to help the lonely princess in Magpie's story in Chapter 1?
3. In Annabella's castle, singing used to attract what?
4. Besides Annabella, who accompanies Magpie when Magpie goes to rescue the small child from the eagle?
5. The ___ flowers close up when Annabella reaches to pluck one for her father.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
2. What did Paley discover from talking to students about the "bosses" in play?
3. In Chapter 1, how did Paley go about getting her students to accept this new play rule?
4. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
5. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
6. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
7. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
8. Following Magpie after the moving flowers over the mountain, what do they discover?
9. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
10. What does Kareem tell Annabella about the flowers that close up after she tried to pick them in the desert?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)