|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Beatrix is a __ who saved Magpie's life.
2. Who is Maruska?
(a) Kareem's wife.
(b) Annabella's doll.
(c) Paley's teaching assistant.
(d) Alexandra's friend.
3. What is the name of the Queen's son that needs to be rescued?
(a) Orange Flower.
(d) Orange Anther.
4. In Magpie's story, on what day does the lonely princess forget the rules while she is with her new friends?
5. What do the girls ask Beatrice to do to Raymond?
(a) Make him disappear.
(b) Make him bald.
(c) Tie his shoe laces together.
(d) Turn him into a frog.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students were in Paley's kindergarten class when she posts her sign changing the rules of play?
2. In Chapter 1, the lonely princess in Magpie's story wanted help finding what?
3. What common practice among small children did the author hope to stop with her experiment?
4. According to Paley in Chapter 1, some of the children believed that the point of play was to show what?
5. While other students in Paley's class create pictures of various story characters, Lisa drew which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Paley put up a sign with a new rule for play, and what was her the response of her class?
2. According to Paley what social practice happens daily, and how did Angelo relate to this statement?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
4. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
5. How did the second graders respond when Paley asked them about having bosses during play?
6. Why weren't Paley's students as excited as Annabella about new kids with whom they can play?
7. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
8. What did second graders tell Paley when she did her inquiry with them?
9. What was the point of play, according to Paley's students in Chapter 1?
10. In Chapter 1, Magpie tells a story. What is it about?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)