|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Kingdom from which Magpie has come?
(a) The Kingdom of Tall Pines.
(b) The Kingdom of Playful Fairies.
(c) The Kingdom of Kings and Queens.
(d) The Bird Kingdom.
2. How many students were in Paley's kindergarten class when she posts her sign changing the rules of play?
3. Who is Maruska?
(a) Paley's teaching assistant.
(b) Alexandra's friend.
(c) Annabella's doll.
(d) Kareem's wife.
4. As the journey to Magpie's Kingdom home reaches the sea, they realize they are about to miss the ship because they hear what in the distance?
5. Under a ___ tree Magpie watches two people argue about him after his birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which grade revealed during questioning about the fairness of the new rule that they remembered it is bad not to let other kids play?
2. Why are the ship's crew and captain upset, as Annabella and her father learn once aboard?
3. What common practice among small children did the author hope to stop with her experiment?
4. Which one of Paley's student's did not understand the Magpie story, and Paley explained about the Magpie in her mind?
5. Why was Angelo sad in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does it mean when Annabella and the others hear a bell near the sea shore?
2. Magpie and Annabella offer to help rescue the flower prince. What happens with the rescue?
3. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
4. What does Kareem tell Annabella about the flowers that close up after she tried to pick them in the desert?
5. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
6. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
7. When speaking in Arizona, Paley discovered two ways teachers handled the rejection involved in play. What are they?
8. One general lesson Paley drew about play in Chapter 1 dealt with friendship. Explain.
9. What do the tiny people tell Magpie and Annabella about the Seventh mountain?
10. Beatrice overhears Annabella and Alexandra agreeing to be friends, and does what about this, and why?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)