|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story about the lonely princess, the bird helps the princess find a ___ child.
2. According to Paley in Chapter 1, some of the children believed that the point of play was to show what?
(a) Who is boss.
(c) How smart some kids are.
3. Magpie and Kareem discover that they are both what?
(a) Story tellers.
(c) Book readers.
4. Whom does the flower prince love?
5. How old was the author when she decides to set out to thwart this practice of "You can't play?"
Short Answer Questions
1. During discussions with students, one grade decided to have what rule as an alternative to having a boss during play?
2. Who introduces Magpie to Prince Kareem?
3. Magpie tells a story about a lonely princess who wished for what to come and help her?
4. Running alongside Magpie down a mountain, following a crisis, Annabella and Magpie discover an eagle has stolen what from some tiny people?
5. What grade, during Paley's inquiries in Chapter 2, thought the new play rule would work on Paley's class but not them because it was too late?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Magpie's story why is it important for the lonely princess to only play with the fairy child during the day, and what happens when she forgets this rule?
2. In Chapter 1, how did teachers reinforce loneliness in children?
3. How were the second and third graders' responses to Paley's inquiries similar?
4. According to details in Chapter 1, how are Annabella and Alexandra different in appearance from each other?
5. In Chapter 2 we are introduced to Raymond. Who is he?
6. In Chapter 2, we find out that the teachers were interested in Paley's new play rule, but didn't realize what?
7. In Chapter 2, what does Magpie do to help the people deal with a crying flower prince and how does flower prince respond?
8. What convinces Annabella and Prince Kareem to accompany Magpie to his Kingdom home?
9. What did Paley realize about Lisa back in the classroom, in Chapter 2?
10. In Chapter 1 Paley's students argued about what the play rule should be and could not agree. Why?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)