|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christine never loves another man as much as she loves who?
2. What does Aunt Ida come to Dayton's house to tell Christine?
3. What is Rayona's middle name?
4. What does Christine leave on Dayton's desk?
5. What Christine and Rayona know about fixing cars doesn't fit into a ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of ethnic identity throughout the novel in relation to the following characters: Rayona, Christine, Aunt Ida and Lee.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dayton and his impact on various characters throughout the novel. Why does Dorris introduce, but never confirm, the possibility of a homosexual relationship between him and Lee? Is Dayton a hero of the novel or just another flawed character?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)