|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christine see in the trash the day she leaves the reservation, after attending Lee's funeral?
2. What kind of club do Elgin and Christine go to on their wedding night?
3. What does Christine give to Rayona on the way to get Babe from the stud farm?
4. What does Aunt Ida give to Christine when she comes to Dayton's for dinner?
5. What does Christine ask the IHS doctor for after he gives her the terminal diagnosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of belonging and abandonment as it is shown through Rayona, Christine, Ida and Dayton.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dorris's portrayal of Indians and Indian culture. Are his depictions stereotypical or does he show them to be nuanced human beings with individual, as well as a collective struggle to find their places in the world?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)