|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayona give Evelyn as a parting gift?
2. What year is the letter Christine is obsessed with supposed to be opened?
3. What does Christine's best friend give her as she leaves Seattle?
4. Lee helps Christine when some boys dare her to do what?
5. How old is Rayona at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine return to Aunt Ida's while Rayona is in school?
2. What is Ida's relationship like with Willard Pretty Dog?
3. How does Christine react after Rayona returns to the reservation from her time at the state park?
4. What is the time period of the novel when it switches to Christine's point of view?
5. What story about her family does Rayona tell Sky and Evelyn and why do they believe her?
6. What is the significance of the cliff near Tacoma where Christine wants to commit suicide?
7. Why does Dayton invite Christine out for dinner after Lee's funeral?
8. Where do Elgin and Christine get married and how do they celebrate afterward?
9. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
10. How does Christine come to realize that she is being blamed for Lee's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Yellow Raft in Blue Water a testament to the strength of family ties, or a cautionary tale about the tangled web of family legacies?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolism throughout the novel. Where is it used, and to what effect? Does the symbolism correspond with any themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)