|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elgin do for a living?
2. Christine tells Rayona that she dates a guy who playes an Indian in which movie?
3. Aunt Ida tells Christine she is turning into a ____________.
4. The letter to Lucy at Fatima says the world comes to an end if what doesn't happen?
5. What is the name of the horse Rayona rides in the rodeo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dayton's house like?
2. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
3. What does Christine tell Dayton that makes Lee very angry with her?
4. How does Christine meet Elgin?
5. How does Christine treat Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
6. How does Rayona end up winning a prize at the rodeo?
7. What do Christine and Rayona do after Christine's suicide attempt is thwarted?
8. How does Christine act when they bring her into the hospital for her latest drinking binge and she gets her serious diagnosis?
9. How does it go when Aunt Ida comes to dinner at Dayton's house?
10. Why does Clara come to visit when Christine is four-years-old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water a coming-of-age novel? Why or why not? Who makes a true transformation in the novel, gaining insight and maturity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of popular culture throughout the novel and the thread it provides to tie many aspects of the novel together.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)