|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cigarettes does Christine smoke?
2. Why does Elgin visit Christine in the hospital in Chapter One?
3. Aunt Ida asks Christine to give her _____ good reason(s) why she is happy her daughter returns.
4. What does Father Tom offer to buy for Rayona after the incident on the yellow raft?
5. What does the dirt on the road in front of Aunt Ida's house remind Rayona of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ida burn her cheek?
2. Why does Clara come to visit when Christine is four-years-old?
3. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
4. What does Christine tell Dayton that makes Lee very angry with her?
5. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
6. How is Rayona treated by Foxy and Annabelle after she arrives at Aunt Ida's house?
7. How does Rayona describe what happens when Evelyn meets Father Tom?
8. Why does Christine never have a second child?
9. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
10. What kind of welcome do Christine and Rayona receive when they show up at Aunt Ida's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail two or three scenes that show the clash of cultures and what impact it has on the characters involved.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Father Hurlburt and his role through all three women's stories. What is the overall purpose of this character and what noble traits does he embody?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of symbolism throughout the novel. Where is it used, and to what effect? Does the symbolism correspond with any themes?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)