|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As seniors in high school, Lee and Dayton become what?
2. What is Rayona's job at the state park?
3. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
4. A poster of ____________ is hanging on the wall of Christine's childhood room.
5. What is Dayton's draft classification?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rayona treated by Foxy and Annabelle after she arrives at Aunt Ida's house?
2. Why does Christine ask the doctor for a deck of cards after he gives her the terminal diagnosis?
3. How does Christine come to realize that she is being blamed for Lee's death?
4. How does Ida feel about Clara when she first comes to stay with them and care for Annie?
5. Why does Christine compare her pregnant stomach to a black box?
6. How does Rayona end up winning a prize at the rodeo?
7. Why does Clara come to visit when Christine is four-years-old?
8. Why is Rayona so fascinated by the lifeguard Ellen?
9. What happens when Christine and Rayona go to the hospital with Aunt Ida to visit Clara?
10. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dorris uses Christine as the middle ground, the bridge between old stories and new beginnings, both literally and figuratively.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Dayton and his impact on various characters throughout the novel. Why does Dorris introduce, but never confirm, the possibility of a homosexual relationship between him and Lee? Is Dayton a hero of the novel or just another flawed character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the three strands of the same story are woven throughout the novel like a braid. What is the symbolism of braids throughout the novel?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)