|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Ida tells Christine that she should leave the reservation and become what?
2. What stops Christine from committing suicide?
3. Before learning where her mother is living, where does Rayona think Christine is?
4. What is one of the videos Christine rents on the way out of Seattle?
5. What is Lee and Christine's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine come to despise Dayton?
2. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
3. What are some of the daring things Christine does when she is growing up?
4. What is Dayton's house like?
5. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
6. What is the significance of the cliff near Tacoma where Christine wants to commit suicide?
7. What is Dayton and Lee's relationship like?
8. What is Rayona's life like?
9. How does Christine react after Rayona returns to the reservation from her time at the state park?
10. How does Ida burn her cheek?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorris's portrayal of Indians and Indian culture. Are his depictions stereotypical or does he show them to be nuanced human beings with individual, as well as a collective struggle to find their places in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dayton and his impact on various characters throughout the novel. Why does Dorris introduce, but never confirm, the possibility of a homosexual relationship between him and Lee? Is Dayton a hero of the novel or just another flawed character?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)