|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rayona when she attends Lee's funeral on the reservation?
2. What is Rayona's job at the state park?
3. Where does Rayona learn that her mother is living?
4. What national event upsets Lee deeply?
5. Who writes to tell Christine that Lee is MIA?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Lee begin to feel confident in his abilities?
2. What does Rayona tell Evelyn and Sky about her family?
3. Why does Christine call her mother Aunt Ida?
4. What does Christine do for Rayona that she thinks proves she is a good mother?
5. Where do Elgin and Christine get married and how do they celebrate afterward?
6. Why does Christine return to Aunt Ida's while Rayona is in school?
7. What kind of relationship does Rayona have with Elgin?
8. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
9. What kind of welcome do Christine and Rayona receive when they show up at Aunt Ida's house?
10. How does Christine meet Elgin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of ethnic identity throughout the novel in relation to the following characters: Rayona, Christine, Aunt Ida and Lee.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of belonging and abandonment as it is shown through Rayona, Christine, Ida and Dayton.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Dayton and his impact on various characters throughout the novel. Why does Dorris introduce, but never confirm, the possibility of a homosexual relationship between him and Lee? Is Dayton a hero of the novel or just another flawed character?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)