|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cigarettes does Christine smoke?
2. How old is Rayona when she attends Lee's funeral on the reservation?
3. Before Rayona can catch up with her mother, as she flees Aunt Ida's, Christine rides away in what?
4. How old is Rayona at the beginning of the novel?
5. Where is the Indian reservation Christine grows up on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Evelyn figure out that Rayona is lying about her parents?
2. What does Rayona tell Evelyn and Sky about her family?
3. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
4. What kind of relationship does Rayona have with Elgin?
5. What is Christine's life like once she moves to Seattle?
6. What is the one thing Christine is going to miss about Seattle?
7. What diagnosis does Christine get after she goes into the hospital for drinking too much?
8. What does Christine discover about Dayton?
9. Why does Dayton invite Christine out for dinner after Lee's funeral?
10. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters to discuss the internal struggle between a character's strength and weakness, focusing not only on the character who best exemplifies this struggle, but also has moments of triumph.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Father Hurlburt and his role through all three women's stories. What is the overall purpose of this character and what noble traits does he embody?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)