|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christine wear to sneak out of the hospital of Chapter One?
2. What is one of the videos Christine rents on the way out of Seattle?
3. What are Rayona and Christine drinking during visiting hours at the hospital?
4. Rayona reads her mother's old ________ to pass the time at Aunt Ida's house.
5. Where does Christine work after she graduates from high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Christine surprised to be missing the first morning Rayona is in Dayton's house?
2. What is the movie slogan that Christine finds amusing?
3. When does Lee begin to feel confident in his abilities?
4. How does it go when Aunt Ida comes to dinner at Dayton's house?
5. How does Ida feel about Clara when she first comes to stay with them and care for Annie?
6. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
7. How does Christine treat Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
8. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
9. How does Evelyn figure out that Rayona is lying about her parents?
10. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dorris's portrayal of Indians and Indian culture. Are his depictions stereotypical or does he show them to be nuanced human beings with individual, as well as a collective struggle to find their places in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters to discuss the internal struggle between a character's strength and weakness, focusing not only on the character who best exemplifies this struggle, but also has moments of triumph.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)