|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Ida tells Christine she is turning into a ____________.
2. What is the name of the horse Rayona rides in the rodeo?
3. What does Christine wear to sneak out of the hospital of Chapter One?
4. How old is Rayona when she attends Lee's funeral on the reservation?
5. What year is the letter Christine is obsessed with supposed to be opened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christine do for Rayona that she thinks proves she is a good mother?
2. What happens between Father Tom and Rayona on the yellow raft in the lake at Bear Paw State Park?
3. Why is Christine in the hospital at the beginning of the novel?
4. What is Christine surprised to be missing the first morning Rayona is in Dayton's house?
5. Why does Christine ask the doctor for a deck of cards after he gives her the terminal diagnosis?
6. Why does Babe give Rayona a hard time getting her back into the truck when they come to take her home from the stud farm?
7. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
8. What is the significance of the cliff near Tacoma where Christine wants to commit suicide?
9. What does Christine discover about Dayton?
10. How does Rayona describe what happens when Evelyn meets Father Tom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of popular culture throughout the novel and the thread it provides to tie many aspects of the novel together.
Essay Topic 2
Is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water a coming-of-age novel? Why or why not? Who makes a true transformation in the novel, gaining insight and maturity?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters to discuss the internal struggle between a character's strength and weakness, focusing not only on the character who best exemplifies this struggle, but also has moments of triumph.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)