|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the videos Christine rents on the way out of Seattle?
2. What is Lee's nickname for Christine?
3. The letter to Lucy at Fatima says the world comes to an end if what doesn't happen?
4. Aunt Ida asks Christine to give her _____ good reason(s) why she is happy her daughter returns.
5. What kind of cigarettes does Christine smoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
2. What does Aunt Ida place Lee's casket during the funeral service?
3. How does Ida burn her cheek?
4. Describe the last scene of the novel.
5. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
6. How is Rayona treated by Foxy and Annabelle after she arrives at Aunt Ida's house?
7. What happens when Christine and Rayona go to the hospital with Aunt Ida to visit Clara?
8. What is Dayton's house like?
9. How does Rayona end up winning a prize at the rodeo?
10. What is Rayona's life like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of popular culture throughout the novel and the thread it provides to tie many aspects of the novel together.
Essay Topic 2
What does Aunt Ida mean when she says, "I never grow up, but I get old."? How is this also true in some ways for both Christine and Rayona?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)