|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the last place Christine sees Lee before he goes to Vietnam?
2. Before Rayona can catch up with her mother, as she flees Aunt Ida's, Christine rides away in what?
3. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
4. What does Christine use to help her to convince Dayton that Lee needs to enlist?
5. Christine tells Rayona that she dates a guy who playes an Indian in which movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine call her mother Aunt Ida?
2. What story about her family does Rayona tell Sky and Evelyn and why do they believe her?
3. What is the significance of the cliff near Tacoma where Christine wants to commit suicide?
4. What is Christine surprised to be missing the first morning Rayona is in Dayton's house?
5. What kind of relationship does Rayona have with Elgin?
6. Where do Elgin and Christine get married and how do they celebrate afterward?
7. How does it go when Aunt Ida comes to dinner at Dayton's house?
8. Why does Babe give Rayona a hard time getting her back into the truck when they come to take her home from the stud farm?
9. Why doesn't Ida want Willard to continue living with her after his face is repaired?
10. Why is Christine in the hospital at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Dayton and his impact on various characters throughout the novel. Why does Dorris introduce, but never confirm, the possibility of a homosexual relationship between him and Lee? Is Dayton a hero of the novel or just another flawed character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Father Hurlburt and his role through all three women's stories. What is the overall purpose of this character and what noble traits does he embody?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)