|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christine grows up on the reservation having a deep respect for the ___________.
2. Christine tells the manager at Video Village that she is engaged to which movie star?
3. What does Rayona have for breakfast every morning at the state park?
4. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
5. Aunt Ida tells Christine she is turning into a ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine get a bad reputation on the reservation?
2. Why does Clara come to visit when Christine is four-years-old?
3. Why does Christine ask the doctor for a deck of cards after he gives her the terminal diagnosis?
4. Where do Elgin and Christine get married and how do they celebrate afterward?
5. How does Christine treat Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
6. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
7. Why does Christine compare her pregnant stomach to a black box?
8. What are some of the daring things Christine does when she is growing up?
9. Describe the last scene of the novel.
10. What is Christine surprised to be missing the first morning Rayona is in Dayton's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water a coming-of-age novel? Why or why not? Who makes a true transformation in the novel, gaining insight and maturity?
Essay Topic 2How is the theme of perception, both of self and the surrounding world, used in various shadings throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)