|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Aunt Ida, Lee is the Indian ____________.
2. Who does Christine tell Rayona can fix her car?
3. What does Rayona get for the "hard luck" prize?
4. What is one of the videos Christine rents on the way out of Seattle?
5. Who writes to tell Christine that Lee is MIA?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine treat Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
2. How does Christine meet Elgin?
3. What is Dayton's house like?
4. What is the time period of the novel when it switches to Christine's point of view?
5. What diagnosis does Christine get after she goes into the hospital for drinking too much?
6. What kind of welcome do Christine and Rayona receive when they show up at Aunt Ida's house?
7. What is Ida's relationship like with Willard Pretty Dog?
8. What is the significance of the cliff near Tacoma where Christine wants to commit suicide?
9. How does Christine get a bad reputation on the reservation?
10. What is Rayona's life like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water a coming-of-age novel? Why or why not? Who makes a true transformation in the novel, gaining insight and maturity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel and the effect of having the story told from three points of view. How does the impact of the novel different if the story is told in the reverse order?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)