|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the horse Rayona rides in the rodeo?
2. Aunt Ida asks Christine to give her _____ good reason(s) why she is happy her daughter returns.
3. What does Elgin do for a living?
4. Aunt Ida tells Christine that she should leave the reservation and become what?
5. Christine and her friends watch what show on the TV set at the Teen Snack Bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine act when they bring her into the hospital for her latest drinking binge and she gets her serious diagnosis?
2. Why does Father Tom come to see Christine?
3. What is Dayton and Lee's relationship like?
4. What does Christine tell Dayton that makes Lee very angry with her?
5. Why does Christine call her mother Aunt Ida?
6. How does Evelyn figure out that Rayona is lying about her parents?
7. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
8. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
9. What happens when Christine and Rayona go to the hospital with Aunt Ida to visit Clara?
10. How does Christine get a bad reputation on the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of perception, both of self and the surrounding world, used in various shadings throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dorris uses Christine as the middle ground, the bridge between old stories and new beginnings, both literally and figuratively.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of religion in the novel and how Dorris uses it to reveal certain aspects of the characters and themes.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)