|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rayona give Evelyn as a parting gift?
2. What does Foxy call Rayona?
3. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
4. What color are Father Tom's swim trunks?
5. Aunt Ida asks Christine to give her _____ good reason(s) why she is happy her daughter returns.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rayona end up winning a prize at the rodeo?
2. Why does Christine return to Aunt Ida's while Rayona is in school?
3. Why does Christine never have a second child?
4. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
5. What is Ida's relationship like with Willard Pretty Dog?
6. How does Christine come to realize that she is being blamed for Lee's death?
7. What does Christine discover about Dayton?
8. How does Christine get a bad reputation on the reservation?
9. How does Ida feel about Clara when she first comes to stay with them and care for Annie?
10. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters to discuss the internal struggle between a character's strength and weakness, focusing not only on the character who best exemplifies this struggle, but also has moments of triumph.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of perception, both of self and the surrounding world, used in various shadings throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water a coming-of-age novel? Why or why not? Who makes a true transformation in the novel, gaining insight and maturity?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)