|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christine moves out of Aunt Ida's and goes to live with whom?
2. Where does Rayona learn that her mother is living?
3. What are Lee and Christine surprised that Aunt Ida can do well?
4. What does Rayona have for breakfast every morning at the state park?
5. What grade is Lee in when he and Dayton become best friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ida's relationship like with Willard Pretty Dog?
2. What diagnosis does Christine get after she goes into the hospital for drinking too much?
3. Why does Christine return to Aunt Ida's while Rayona is in school?
4. What happens the day Christine goes into labor with Rayona?
5. What does Aunt Ida place Lee's casket during the funeral service?
6. How does Christine treat Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
7. How does Christine react after Rayona returns to the reservation from her time at the state park?
8. Why does Christine call her mother Aunt Ida?
9. What happens when Christine tries to commit suicide by driving off a cliff?
10. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do secrets play in the narrative of the three women and who do they affect the most profoundly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of religion in the novel and how Dorris uses it to reveal certain aspects of the characters and themes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)