|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Ida tells Christine that she should leave the reservation and become what?
2. The letter to Lucy at Fatima says the world comes to an end if what doesn't happen?
3. How does Rayona often describe herself?
4. What stops Christine from committing suicide?
5. What does Christine use to break into her car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Christine surprised to be missing the first morning Rayona is in Dayton's house?
2. What happens when Christine tries to commit suicide by driving off a cliff?
3. What happens to Christine as she drives through the snowy landscape of Montana on the way to Lee's funeral?
4. Why does Christine compare her pregnant stomach to a black box?
5. How does Christine get a bad reputation on the reservation?
6. What is Dayton and Lee's relationship like?
7. Why does Christine get so angry with Elgin when he comes to return the car keys at the hospital?
8. Why is Christine in the hospital at the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Christine act when they bring her into the hospital for her latest drinking binge and she gets her serious diagnosis?
10. What is Christine's life like once she moves to Seattle?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel and the effect of having the story told from three points of view. How does the impact of the novel different if the story is told in the reverse order?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolism throughout the novel. Where is it used, and to what effect? Does the symbolism correspond with any themes?
Essay Topic 3
What role do secrets play in the narrative of the three women and who do they affect the most profoundly?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)