|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes to tell Christine that Lee is MIA?
2. What does Aunt Ida tell Rayona comes in her cereal boxes?
3. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
4. Where do Elgin's parents live?
5. What does Rayona give Evelyn as a parting gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine call her mother Aunt Ida?
2. What happens when Christine and Rayona go to the hospital with Aunt Ida to visit Clara?
3. How does Rayona describe what happens when Evelyn meets Father Tom?
4. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
5. What is Christine surprised to be missing the first morning Rayona is in Dayton's house?
6. What kind of relationship does Rayona have with Elgin?
7. How does Rayona end up winning a prize at the rodeo?
8. What is Rayona's life like?
9. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
10. Why does Christine return to Aunt Ida's while Rayona is in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 3
Is The Yellow Raft in Blue Water a testament to the strength of family ties, or a cautionary tale about the tangled web of family legacies?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)