|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Christine tell Rayona can fix her car?
2. What does Elgin do for a living?
3. What does Christine wear to sneak out of the hospital of Chapter One?
4. What color are Father Tom's swim trunks?
5. What is the name of the DeMarco's dog that is mentioned in the letter Rayona finds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rayona treated by Foxy and Annabelle after she arrives at Aunt Ida's house?
2. What kind of relationship does Rayona have with Elgin?
3. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
4. What kind of welcome do Christine and Rayona receive when they show up at Aunt Ida's house?
5. What does Christine tell Dayton that makes Lee very angry with her?
6. Why does Father Tom come to see Christine?
7. How does Christine come to realize that she is being blamed for Lee's death?
8. How does Ida burn her cheek?
9. What does Christine discover about Dayton?
10. What do Christine and Rayona do after Christine's suicide attempt is thwarted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Dorris' use of humor and irony throughout the novel. How does the humor provide an important counterpoint to the raw emotions of the novel? How do humor and irony add to the poignancy of these women's stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Father Hurlburt and his role through all three women's stories. What is the overall purpose of this character and what noble traits does he embody?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of popular culture throughout the novel and the thread it provides to tie many aspects of the novel together.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)