|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The letter to Lucy at Fatima says the world comes to an end if what doesn't happen?
2. Who owns the horse Rayona rides in the rodeo?
3. Where do Elgin's parents live?
4. Where is the Indian reservation Christine grows up on?
5. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Rayona have with Elgin?
2. How does Rayona describe what happens when Evelyn meets Father Tom?
3. Why does Christine ask the doctor for a deck of cards after he gives her the terminal diagnosis?
4. How does Christine meet Elgin?
5. What is Christine's life like once she moves to Seattle?
6. How does Ida feel about Clara when she first comes to stay with them and care for Annie?
7. Why does Christine call her mother Aunt Ida?
8. Why doesn't Ida want Willard to continue living with her after his face is repaired?
9. What happens when Christine tries to commit suicide by driving off a cliff?
10. What does Christine discover about Dayton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Father Hurlburt and his role through all three women's stories. What is the overall purpose of this character and what noble traits does he embody?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Dorris's portrayal of Indians and Indian culture. Are his depictions stereotypical or does he show them to be nuanced human beings with individual, as well as a collective struggle to find their places in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters to discuss the internal struggle between a character's strength and weakness, focusing not only on the character who best exemplifies this struggle, but also has moments of triumph.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)