|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before learning where her mother is living, where does Rayona think Christine is?
2. As seniors in high school, Lee and Dayton become what?
3. What are Rayona and Christine drinking during visiting hours at the hospital?
4. What is one of the videos Christine rents on the way out of Seattle?
5. Christine moves out of Aunt Ida's and goes to live with whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Evelyn figure out that Rayona is lying about her parents?
2. Why doesn't Ida want Willard to continue living with her after his face is repaired?
3. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
4. Why does Christine return to Aunt Ida's while Rayona is in school?
5. What happens when Christine tries to commit suicide by driving off a cliff?
6. What happens at the flag ceremony for Lee in the Mission gym?
7. What is Ida's relationship like with Willard Pretty Dog?
8. How does Christine react after Rayona returns to the reservation from her time at the state park?
9. Where do Elgin and Christine get married and how do they celebrate afterward?
10. Why does Babe give Rayona a hard time getting her back into the truck when they come to take her home from the stud farm?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolism throughout the novel. Where is it used, and to what effect? Does the symbolism correspond with any themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of ethnic identity throughout the novel in relation to the following characters: Rayona, Christine, Aunt Ida and Lee.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)