|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Rayona can catch up with her mother, as she flees Aunt Ida's, Christine rides away in what?
2. How old is Rayona at the beginning of the novel?
3. Where does Rayona sleep after Father Tom leaves her?
4. What grade is Lee in when he and Dayton become best friends?
5. When Christine is a kid, she thinks Seattle is like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Christine in the hospital at the beginning of the novel?
2. Why does Christine compare her pregnant stomach to a black box?
3. What is Dayton's house like?
4. How does Rayona end up winning a prize at the rodeo?
5. What happens to Christine as she drives through the snowy landscape of Montana on the way to Lee's funeral?
6. Why doesn't Ida want Willard to continue living with her after his face is repaired?
7. How does Christine get a bad reputation on the reservation?
8. Why does Christine come to despise Dayton?
9. What is the significance of the cliff near Tacoma where Christine wants to commit suicide?
10. What does Aunt Ida place Lee's casket during the funeral service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role do secrets play in the narrative of the three women and who do they affect the most profoundly?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dorris's portrayal of Indians and Indian culture. Are his depictions stereotypical or does he show them to be nuanced human beings with individual, as well as a collective struggle to find their places in the world?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)