|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Lee and Christine surprised that Aunt Ida can do well?
2. Teenage Christine is obsessed with a letter from __________ to Lucy at Fatima.
3. A poster of ____________ is hanging on the wall of Christine's childhood room.
4. What does Lee give to Aunt Ida after he enlists?
5. What is Lee always very good at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
2. What does Christine do for Rayona that she thinks proves she is a good mother?
3. What happens when Christine grabs her plastic bags of clothes and runs from Aunt Ida's house?
4. Describe the last scene of the novel.
5. What is the one thing Christine is going to miss about Seattle?
6. Why does Clara come to visit when Christine is four-years-old?
7. What does Aunt Ida place Lee's casket during the funeral service?
8. What story about her family does Rayona tell Sky and Evelyn and why do they believe her?
9. What happens when Christine and Rayona go to the hospital with Aunt Ida to visit Clara?
10. What kind of welcome do Christine and Rayona receive when they show up at Aunt Ida's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail two or three scenes that show the clash of cultures and what impact it has on the characters involved.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Father Hurlburt and his role through all three women's stories. What is the overall purpose of this character and what noble traits does he embody?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters to discuss the internal struggle between a character's strength and weakness, focusing not only on the character who best exemplifies this struggle, but also has moments of triumph.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)