|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rayona at the beginning of the novel?
2. Lee sends Christine a picture of him from where?
3. What is Lee's nickname for Christine?
4. All of Christine's possessions are in plastic bags labeled "Christine" and ______________.
5. Christine grows up on the reservation having a deep respect for the ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christine compare her pregnant stomach to a black box?
2. How does Christine meet Elgin?
3. What is Rayona's life like?
4. How does Christine come to realize that she is being blamed for Lee's death?
5. What does Christine discover about Dayton?
6. What plan do Clara and Lecon devise to save the family's honor?
7. What story about her family does Rayona tell Sky and Evelyn and why do they believe her?
8. How does Rayona end up getting a job at the state park?
9. What do Christine and Rayona do after Christine's suicide attempt is thwarted?
10. What happens between Father Tom and Rayona on the yellow raft in the lake at Bear Paw State Park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dayton and his impact on various characters throughout the novel. Why does Dorris introduce, but never confirm, the possibility of a homosexual relationship between him and Lee? Is Dayton a hero of the novel or just another flawed character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of imagery and figurative language throughout the novel. What purpose does it serve to strengthen the narrative and add to the emotional impact of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is A Yellow Raft in Blue Water a coming-of-age novel? Why or why not? Who makes a true transformation in the novel, gaining insight and maturity?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)