|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, how old is Lisbeth?
2. What year is it at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. What day of the week does Mrs. Ann decide Lisbeth will have a picnic in Chapter 17?
4. How many stillborn babies did Lisbeth's parents have?
5. How many workers does Mrs. Ann believe that the Cunningham family has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Matthew's plans for when he moves to Ohio?
2. What two things does Lisbeth discover when she looks for her birth certificate?
3. Why does Matthew divert the other boys to throw stones at a cottonwood?
4. What does Lisbeth bring as a gift for Mattie for her new baby?
5. Who is Grandma Washington?
6. Why is Lisbeth and Matthew's wedding like?
7. Why does Mary think Lisbeth should still marry Edward after Lisbeth finds him raping a slave?
8. How does Lisbeth get a tour of White Pines?
9. What does Poppy tell Mattie when she leaves?
10. How do Lisbeths' parents try to stop her marriage to Matthew after the fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie gets better food and clothing in the Big House. Why doesn't Mattie care about the food and clothes, and what would she prefer to have instead?
Essay Topic 2
Mattie abandons her son in Chapter 1. Why does she abandon her son without protest?
Essay Topic 3
Ann is the mistress of Fair Oaks in name only. What prevents Ann from being the true mistress of the plantation?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)