|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Emmanuel's father's name?
2. How many acres were set aside for the plantation?
3. What denomination is the church the Wainwrights attend?
4. What afternoons does Samuel learn to read?
5. How old was Emmanuel's father when he first ran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandmother Wainwright's history?
2. What privilege is Mattie given after Elizabeth is three-months-old?
3. Why does Mattie think she is wanted in the drawing room in Chapter 11?
4. Why doesn't Mattie share Emmanuel's dreams of freedom?
5. What instructions does Mrs. Gray give Mattie after the baby is born?
6. What was the history of Mattie's family?
7. Where is Mattie when Samuel leaves Fair Oaks?
8. At age five, what is Samuel's job?
9. What sorts of topics are young ladies allowed and not allowed to talk about with young men?
10. Who will take care of Mattie's son, Samuel, while she is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie is outraged when she learns that she will be separated from Elizabeth and have to care for the new baby. Why is Mattie outraged when is is separated from Elizabeth and given the new baby to care for?
Essay Topic 2
Flat and round characters appear in the novel. What is the role of flat characters and what type of role do they play when there are conflicts in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Mattie abandons her son in Chapter 1. Why does she abandon her son without protest?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)