|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often is Mattie allowed to have her clothes laundered at the Big House?
2. How old was Emmanuel's father when he first ran?
3. What denomination is the church the Wainwrights attend?
4. Who comes to get Mattie when the Mistress is about to give birth?
5. Which of the girls in Miss Taylor's class is awkward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sorts of topics are young ladies allowed and not allowed to talk about with young men?
2. Why isn't Mrs. Ann in charge of the house since she is the mistress of the house?
3. What is Grandmother Wainwright's history?
4. What favor does Mattie ask Mrs. Ann?
5. Who will take care of Mattie's son, Samuel, while she is gone?
6. In Chapter 5, how does Lisbeth spend Sunday afternoons when Mattie is in the quarters?
7. Who is Miss Taylor, and what does she teach daughters of plantation owners?
8. How do the residents of Fair Oaks honor the Sunday Sabbath?
9. What was the history of Mattie's family?
10. Where is Mattie when Samuel leaves Fair Oaks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After their reunion, Mattie and Lisbeth are not close. Why aren't Mattie and Lisbeth close to one another like family after they are reunited in Ohio?
Essay Topic 2
After Samuel is sold to the Andersons. How does Lisbeth try to comfort Mattie, and why are her efforts unsuccessful to cheer up Mattie?
Essay Topic 3
Mattie leaves one conch shell for Lisbeth when she leaves. Why does Lisbeth cling to it and then throw the shell away, only to search for it desperately?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)