|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the main dishes when Mattie returns from the Andersons?
2. Where is Mattie taken when she arrives at the Anderson plantation?
3. Who are looking for Samuel and Emmanuel?
4. How many times does Jeb Martin whip Mattie the first time?
5. When does Lisbeth learn hand clapping games in the slave quarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instructions does Mrs. Gray give Mattie after the baby is born?
2. Who is Mrs. Gray?
3. At age five, what is Samuel's job?
4. Why isn't Mrs. Ann in charge of the house since she is the mistress of the house?
5. What favor does Mattie ask Mrs. Ann?
6. Why doesn't Mattie share Emmanuel's dreams of freedom?
7. How does Samuel learn to read?
8. What sorts of topics are young ladies allowed and not allowed to talk about with young men?
9. How did Mattie meet Emmanuel?
10. What does Emmanuel want to do every spring and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mattie gets better food and clothing in the Big House. Why doesn't Mattie care about the food and clothes, and what would she prefer to have instead?
Essay Topic 2
Samuel is sold and sent away from Fair Oaks. How does his departure affect him and his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Lisbeth and Mattie spend a lot of time looking out windows. What do windows represent in the novel?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)