|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mattie in Chapter 1?
2. How old was Ann when her mother died?
3. What is one of the main dishes when Mattie returns from the Andersons?
4. How old was Mattie when Rebecca came to live with her family?
5. What denomination is the church the Wainwrights attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sorts of topics are young ladies allowed and not allowed to talk about with young men?
2. Who is Miss Taylor, and what does she teach daughters of plantation owners?
3. How do the residents of Fair Oaks honor the Sunday Sabbath?
4. How did Mattie meet Emmanuel?
5. What instructions does Mattie give Samuel before he leaves for the Anderson plantation?
6. What does Ann tell Lisbeth's about her mother?
7. How does Lisbeth get Jack and his friends to stop harassing Samuel?
8. What instructions does Mrs. Gray give Mattie after the baby is born?
9. Why doesn't Mattie share Emmanuel's dreams of freedom?
10. What happened to Mattie's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samuel is sold and sent away from Fair Oaks. How does his departure affect him and his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan Wainwright thinks the slaves are better off in captivity. Why does Jonathan believe that his slaves are better off as slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Mattie leaves one conch shell for Lisbeth when she leaves. Why does Lisbeth cling to it and then throw the shell away, only to search for it desperately?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)