|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lisbeth learn hand clapping games in the slave quarters?
2. How old was Mattie when she met Emanuel?
3. In Chapter 4, how old is Elizabeth?
4. Where do Jack and his friends go after taunting a slave in Chapter 10?
5. What does Mattie mark on the walls when she is imprisoned at the Anderson plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. At age five, what is Samuel's job?
2. Why doesn't Mattie share Emmanuel's dreams of freedom?
3. Who is Miss Taylor, and what does she teach daughters of plantation owners?
4. Why isn't Mrs. Ann in charge of the house since she is the mistress of the house?
5. What privilege is Mattie given after Elizabeth is three-months-old?
6. What instructions does Mrs. Gray give Mattie after the baby is born?
7. In Chapter 6, what does Mattie tell Lisbeth to do when Mattie is gone and Lisbeth misses her?
8. How do the residents of Fair Oaks honor the Sunday Sabbath?
9. Why does Mattie think she is wanted in the drawing room in Chapter 11?
10. What is Grandmother Wainwright's history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Samuel is sold and sent away from Fair Oaks. How does his departure affect him and his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Flat and round characters appear in the novel. What is the role of flat characters and what type of role do they play when there are conflicts in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Mattie abandons her son in Chapter 1. Why does she abandon her son without protest?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)