Section 1, Chapters 1 - 4
• Mattie, a slave and young mother, is taken from her infant son Samuel to be a wet nurse to the master’s child.
• She has to leave her son to be cared for by her grandfather and nursed by another slave woman.
• After Mrs. Ann gives birth to a baby she names Elizabeth, the child is given to Mattie to nurse.
• Mattie desperately wishes she could be nursing her son.
• Mrs. Gray, the housekeeper gives Mattie instructions to the household routine and the baby’s care.
• The nursery is a large room with many comforts; Mattie’s room is a small side room with little more than a bed.
• When Mattie looks out the window, she discovers that she can see the slave quarters and sees Samuel and Poppy.
• When Mrs. Gray tells Mattie to take Elizabeth to her mother at two o’clock, she...
This section contains 2,870 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)