|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beile fear Heyman may not be able to support a wife?
2. How long does the dancing before the ceremony take place in "A Ghetto Wedding"?
3. When does Dalsky say Stern has a scheme planned?
4. Why do Nathan and Goldy keep postponing their wedding?
5. Why does Heyman turn around once he finally goes to Beile's after she leaves the shop with David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
2. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
3. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
4. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
5. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
6. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
7. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
8. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
9. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
10. What scheme does Stern propose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 3
Explore courtship, marriage and love throughout these stories. Giving examples from the book, compare and contrast these ideas and themes, and explain the author's message.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)