|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David say Beile must do for him to find her a better job?
2. How does Tatyana feel about Boris' appearance after he has been working at the factory for several months?
3. Where does Leizer Lipman run his shop?
4. What does Dalsky say the factory has done to Boris?
5. When does Goldy faint at her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
2. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
3. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
4. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
5. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
6. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
7. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
8. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
9. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
10. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use irony to send a message in this collection of stories?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)