|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Goldy interrupt Nathan at work?
2. How long does the dancing before the ceremony take place in "A Ghetto Wedding"?
3. What does Dalsky tell Boris the reason for him moving out is?
4. What does Tatyana suggest she and Boris do in a note?
5. Who does Meyer say is like a servant to the Lipmans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
2. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
3. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
4. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
5. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
6. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
7. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
8. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
9. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
10. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of Jewish identity throughout these stories. How does Jewish identity stay the same? Does it change? If so, how?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)