|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tatyana feel about Boris' appearance after he has been working at the factory for several months?
2. What does David say he considers himself to be?
3. In "A Ghetto Wedding," what wedding presents does the narrator say usually arrive before the wedding?
4. What does Tatyana do when Dalsky eats in her kitchen?
5. How much rent does Nathan pay upfront for his first apartment with Goldy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
2. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
3. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
4. Why does Nathan peddle?
5. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
6. What scheme does Stern propose?
7. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
8. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
9. How does Dalsky fit in in Boris and Tatyana's house?
10. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two of the stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)