|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Dalsky say Stern has a scheme planned?
2. Why does Heyman turn around once he finally goes to Beile's after she leaves the shop with David?
3. What does Tatyana suggest she and Boris do in a note?
4. What school did Boris attend before marrying Tatyana?
5. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scheme does Stern propose?
2. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
3. What is Goldy and Nathan's apartment like?
4. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
5. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
6. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
7. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
8. Why does Nathan peddle?
9. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
10. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)