|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leizer Lipman run his shop?
2. What does Dalsky tell Boris the reason for him moving out is?
3. What does Mrs. Avrom think about Beile's appearance as she leaves the shop?
4. What room is Goldy's bedroom in?
5. What does David say Beile must do for him to find her a better job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
2. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
3. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
4. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
5. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
6. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
7. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
8. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
9. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
10. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the endings of several of these stories. What purpose does each ending serve? How does this collection ignore the idea of resolving a conflict, or having a happy ending? Why do you think the author did this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)