|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boris say his plan to get out of the factory relies on?
2. What reminds Tatyana of Dalsky after he moves out?
3. Why does Goldy take time off of work a week before the wedding?
4. In her note to Boris, how does Tatyana say she will support herself?
5. When does Goldy faint at her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
2. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
3. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
4. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
5. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
6. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
7. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
8. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
9. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
10. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)