|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nathan want to go home after the wedding reception?
2. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
3. What is Dalsky studying?
4. What does Meyer complain about when it comes to his co-workers?
5. Who does Meyer say is like a servant to the Lipmans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
2. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
3. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
4. What is Goldy and Nathan's apartment like?
5. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
6. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
7. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
8. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
9. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
10. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two protagonists from this collection of stories. Explain why you think they are similar and different, using the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)