|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finally tells David and Beile to leave the shop?
2. Why does Tatyana decide to write Boris a note?
3. What reminds Boris of his life with Tatyana?
4. What does Tatyana read that supports her argument against her husband?
5. In "A Ghetto Wedding," what wedding presents does the narrator say usually arrive before the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
2. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
3. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
4. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
5. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
6. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
7. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
8. What scheme does Stern propose?
9. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
10. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the endings of several of these stories. What purpose does each ending serve? How does this collection ignore the idea of resolving a conflict, or having a happy ending? Why do you think the author did this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)