|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tatyana consider returning to Boris?
2. What does Stern's plan include Boris and Tatyana playing?
3. How many invitations do Nathan and Goldy send out for their wedding?
4. What street is the apartment Nathan pays for on?
5. What does Boris do at the end of "Circumstances"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
2. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
3. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
4. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
5. What scheme does Stern propose?
6. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
7. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
8. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
10. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
Essay Topic 2
How is pride a theme examined in this collection? What message is presented about pride? Cite the text to support your theory about pride.
Essay Topic 3
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)