|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many invitations do Nathan and Goldy send out for their wedding?
2. When does Goldy tell Nathan that most people will send them wedding presents?
3. Why does Goldy take time off of work a week before the wedding?
4. What does David tell the Avrom's about the Lipman's carpet?
5. In her note to Boris, how does Tatyana say she will support herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
2. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
3. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
4. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
5. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
6. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
7. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
8. How does Dalsky fit in in Boris and Tatyana's house?
9. What is Goldy and Nathan's apartment like?
10. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the endings of several of these stories. What purpose does each ending serve? How does this collection ignore the idea of resolving a conflict, or having a happy ending? Why do you think the author did this?
Essay Topic 2
Explore courtship, marriage and love throughout these stories. Giving examples from the book, compare and contrast these ideas and themes, and explain the author's message.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)