|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meyer complain about when it comes to his co-workers?
2. Why doesn't Tatyana want Boris to read "Russian Thought"?
3. What street is the focus point of "A Ghetto Wedding"?
4. Who does Meyer say is like a servant to the Lipmans?
5. Why does Mrs. Lipman send Beile to the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
2. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
3. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
4. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
5. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
6. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
7. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
8. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
9. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
10. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two protagonists from this collection of stories. Explain why you think they are similar and different, using the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two or three stories that look at issues relating to a "generation gap." What problems does this gap cause? Is there a resolution? What would it take to resolve the gap?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)