|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Boris' initial reaction to Stern's plan?
2. Why do Nathan and Goldy keep postponing their wedding?
3. What does Mrs. Avrom think about Beile's appearance as she leaves the shop?
4. What floor is the apartment Nathan pays for on?
5. What street is the focus point of "A Ghetto Wedding"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scheme does Stern propose?
2. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
3. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
4. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
5. What happens when Goldy and Nathan leave their wedding?
6. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
7. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
8. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
9. Why does Nathan peddle?
10. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 3
Explore courtship, marriage and love throughout these stories. Giving examples from the book, compare and contrast these ideas and themes, and explain the author's message.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)