|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Boris tells Tatyana his plan in Chapter 5?
2. What wedding gift arrives at Goldy's apartment and disappoints her?
3. Why does Goldy take time off of work a week before the wedding?
4. How does Tatyana say she would feel if Dalsky knew about her feelings?
5. How does Tatyana feel about Boris' appearance after he has been working at the factory for several months?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
2. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
3. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
4. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
5. What scheme does Stern propose?
6. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
7. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
8. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
9. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
10. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two protagonists from this collection of stories. Explain why you think they are similar and different, using the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)