|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Meyer say Beile feels about her love for Heyman?
2. What does Heyman say about proposing marriage to Beile?
3. Why does Mrs. Lipman send Beile to the store?
4. Who does Nathan want to borrow money from after his wedding?
5. Who finally tells David and Beile to leave the shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
2. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
3. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
4. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
5. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
6. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
7. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
8. Why does Nathan peddle?
9. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
10. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)