|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the guests dance for a long time before Goldy and Nathan's ceremony?
2. What does Dalsky say the factory has done to Boris?
3. What makes Dalsky think Tatyana may have an interest in him?
4. How long does it take Heyman to visit Beile after she leaves the shop with David?
5. Why does Heyman wait to visit Beile after she leaves the shop with David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goldy and Nathan's apartment like?
2. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
3. What scheme does Stern propose?
4. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
5. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
6. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
7. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
8. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
9. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
10. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use irony to send a message in this collection of stories?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)