|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beile do when Mrs. Lipman threatens her about going to the store?
2. What floor is the apartment Nathan pays for on?
3. What does Boris say his plan to get out of the factory relies on?
4. Who does Goldy blame for her lack of furniture?
5. How does Nathan earn extra money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
2. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
3. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
4. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
5. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
6. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
7. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
8. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
9. How does Dalsky fit in in Boris and Tatyana's house?
10. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)