|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heyman say about proposing marriage to Beile?
2. What does Mrs. Lipman show Basse and Reb Avrom when they arrive?
3. What makes Dalsky think Tatyana may have an interest in him?
4. In "A Ghetto Wedding," what wedding presents does the narrator say usually arrive before the wedding?
5. How are the Lipmans' workers paid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
2. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
3. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
4. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
5. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
6. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
7. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
8. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
9. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
10. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
Essay Topic 2
How is pride a theme examined in this collection? What message is presented about pride? Cite the text to support your theory about pride.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)