|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her note to Boris, how does Tatyana say she will support herself?
2. Why is Beile upset about being sent to the store?
3. What makes Dalsky think Tatyana may have an interest in him?
4. How does David say he measures each day?
5. Why does Tatyana consider returning to Boris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the endings of several of these stories. What purpose does each ending serve? How does this collection ignore the idea of resolving a conflict, or having a happy ending? Why do you think the author did this?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)