|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tatyana remember Anna Karenina noticing about her husbands ears?
2. How does Tatyana say she would feel if Dalsky knew about her feelings?
3. When does David tell the Lipman's to have his and Beile's pay ready?
4. Where are Basse and Reb Avrom from?
5. How many invitations do Nathan and Goldy send out for their wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
2. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
3. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
4. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
5. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
6. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
7. Why does Dalsky move out of Boris' apartment?
8. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
9. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
10. What scheme does Stern propose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)