|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heyman wait to visit Beile after she leaves the shop with David?
2. How long does the dancing before the ceremony take place in "A Ghetto Wedding"?
3. What wedding gift arrives at Goldy's apartment and disappoints her?
4. How many rooms are in the apartment Nathan pays for?
5. What makes Dalsky think Tatyana may have an interest in him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
2. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
3. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
4. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
5. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
6. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
7. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
8. How does Dalsky fit in in Boris and Tatyana's house?
9. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
10. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the endings of several of these stories. What purpose does each ending serve? How does this collection ignore the idea of resolving a conflict, or having a happy ending? Why do you think the author did this?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
Essay Topic 3
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)