|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heyman turn around once he finally goes to Beile's after she leaves the shop with David?
2. How long does it take Heyman to visit Beile after she leaves the shop with David?
3. How are the Lipmans' workers paid?
4. Who does Nathan want to borrow money from after his wedding?
5. When does Goldy faint at her wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
2. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
3. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
4. What scheme does Stern propose?
5. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
6. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
7. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
8. How does Tatyana treat Boris when he comes home from work in Chapter 1?
9. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
10. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
How is pride a theme examined in this collection? What message is presented about pride? Cite the text to support your theory about pride.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)