|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Heyman to visit Beile after she leaves the shop with David?
2. What is Boris' initial reaction to Stern's plan?
3. What happens when Boris tells Tatyana his plan in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 5, how does Boris feel about his job?
5. Who does Meyer say is like a servant to the Lipmans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Goldy and Nathan's apartment like?
2. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
3. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
4. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
5. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
6. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
7. How does David try to embarrass Mr. and Mrs. Lipman in front of their guests?
8. Why does Nathan peddle?
9. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
10. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)