|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
2. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
3. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
4. How old is Flora in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
5. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
2. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
3. What is Flora's father's first impression of Pravly when he returns there in Chapter Three of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
4. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
5. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
6. How does Dalsky fit in in Boris and Tatyana's house?
7. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
8. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
9. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
10. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)