|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fanny find a new job in "A Paterfamilias"?
2. How old is Flora in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
3. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
4. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
5. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Flora disappointed at the end of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
2. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
3. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
4. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
5. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
6. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
7. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
8. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
9. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
10. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two protagonists from this collection of stories. Explain why you think they are similar and different, using the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two or three stories that look at issues relating to a "generation gap." What problems does this gap cause? Is there a resolution? What would it take to resolve the gap?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)