|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
2. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
3. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
4. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
5. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
2. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
3. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
4. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
5. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
6. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
7. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
8. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
9. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
10. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)