|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake explain Mamie's visit in "A Paterfamilias"?
2. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
3. What does Jake do when he sees Fanny sitting by herself at Joe's in "The New York Ghetto"?
4. How much money does Rouvke save by the time he is 25?
5. How does Jake describe his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
2. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
3. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
4. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
5. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
6. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
7. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
8. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
9. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
10. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explore courtship, marriage and love throughout these stories. Giving examples from the book, compare and contrast these ideas and themes, and explain the author's message.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)