|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
2. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
3. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
4. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
5. How does Jake describe his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
2. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
3. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
4. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
5. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
6. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
7. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
8. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
9. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
10. What is Flora's father's first impression of Pravly when he returns there in Chapter Three of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two of the stories from this collection.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)