|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
2. What does Jake do when he sees Fanny sitting by herself at Joe's in "The New York Ghetto"?
3. What does Flora's father tell Reb Lippe about Shaya when they leave for America?
4. What name does Jake give Yossele in the United States?
5. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
2. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
3. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
4. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
5. Why is Flora disappointed at the end of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
6. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
7. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
8. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
9. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
10. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast at least two protagonists from this collection of stories. Explain why you think they are similar and different, using the book to support your place.
Essay Topic 2
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use irony to send a message in this collection of stories?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)