|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
2. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
3. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
4. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
5. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
2. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
3. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
4. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
5. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
6. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
7. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
8. Why is Flora disappointed at the end of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
9. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
10. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two of the stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 2
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 3
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)