|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
2. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
3. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
4. What does Feive do for a living?
5. What happens when the boss is on a quest for work in "Jake and Yekl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
2. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
3. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
4. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
5. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
6. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
7. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
8. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
9. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
10. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)