|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
2. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
3. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
4. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
5. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
2. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
3. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
4. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
5. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
6. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
7. What is Goldy and Nathan's apartment like?
8. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
9. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
10. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)