Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
2. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
3. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
4. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
5. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
2. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
3. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
4. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
5. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
6. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
7. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
8. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
9. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
10. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
Compare and contrast at least two protagonists from this collection of stories. Explain why you think they are similar and different, using the book to support your place.
Examine the theme of Jewish identity throughout these stories. How does Jewish identity stay the same? Does it change? If so, how?
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)