|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
2. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
3. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
4. What is a choson?
5. What type of Yiddish does Jake speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
2. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
3. What presents do Goldy and Nathan receive before their wedding?
4. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
5. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
6. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
7. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
8. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
9. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
10. What plan does Goldy come up with for her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)