|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
2. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
3. How does Jake describe his wife?
4. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
5. In what sport is Jake most interested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
2. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
3. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
4. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
5. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
6. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
7. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
8. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
9. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
10. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is pride a theme examined in this collection? What message is presented about pride? Cite the text to support your theory about pride.
Essay Topic 2
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)