|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
2. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
3. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
4. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
5. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
2. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
3. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
4. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
5. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
6. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
7. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
8. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
9. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
10. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two of the stories from this collection.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)