|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
2. What is a choson?
3. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
4. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
5. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
2. Why does Beile decide to not sue Heyman at the end of "A Sweatshop Romance".
3. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
4. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
5. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
6. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
7. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
8. How does Tatyana first show Boris her irritation with him?
9. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
10. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the endings of several of these stories. What purpose does each ending serve? How does this collection ignore the idea of resolving a conflict, or having a happy ending? Why do you think the author did this?
Essay Topic 3
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)