|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
2. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
3. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
4. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
5. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
2. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
3. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
4. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
5. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
6. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
7. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
8. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
9. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
10. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two or three stories that look at issues relating to a "generation gap." What problems does this gap cause? Is there a resolution? What would it take to resolve the gap?
Essay Topic 2
How is pride a theme examined in this collection? What message is presented about pride? Cite the text to support your theory about pride.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)