|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
2. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
3. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
4. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
5. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
2. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
3. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
4. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
5. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
6. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
7. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
8. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
9. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
10. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 2
Explore courtship, marriage and love throughout these stories. Giving examples from the book, compare and contrast these ideas and themes, and explain the author's message.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)