|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
2. While in the United States, what does Rouvke learn about Peretz?
3. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
4. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
5. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
2. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
3. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
4. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
5. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
6. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
7. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
8. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
9. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
10. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)