|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
2. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
3. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
4. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
5. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
2. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
3. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
4. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
5. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
6. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
7. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
8. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
9. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
10. What is Flora's father's first impression of Pravly when he returns there in Chapter Three of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of Jewish identity throughout these stories. How does Jewish identity stay the same? Does it change? If so, how?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)