|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
2. In "Jake and Yekl," how does Jake plan on spending his pay?
3. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
4. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
5. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
2. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
3. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
4. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
5. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
6. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
7. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
8. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
9. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
10. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two or three stories that look at issues relating to a "generation gap." What problems does this gap cause? Is there a resolution? What would it take to resolve the gap?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)