|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
2. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
3. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
4. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
5. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
2. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
3. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
4. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
5. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
6. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
7. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
8. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
9. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
10. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
Essay Topic 2
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)