|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
2. How many daughters does Peretz have?
3. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
4. What does Rouvke change his name to in America?
5. How does Shaya respond when Flora tells him her father approves of their wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
2. What is Flora's father's first impression of Pravly when he returns there in Chapter Three of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
3. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
4. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
5. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
6. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
7. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
8. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
9. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
10. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)