|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
2. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
3. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
4. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
5. What does Rouvke change his name to in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
2. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
3. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
4. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
5. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
6. How does Nathan feel about his financial situation?
7. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
8. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
9. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
10. What happens at the beginning of Goldy and Nathan's wedding?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)