Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
2. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
3. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
4. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
5. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David explain his higher wage at the Lipmans' shop?
2. How does Beile respond to Mrs. Lipman's demand that she go to the store?
3. What does Heyman do after Beile walks out on her job at the shop?
4. At the beginning of "A Sweatshop Romance," what is Beile's relationship with Heyman like?
5. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
6. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
7. Why do Boris and Tatyana move to New York?
8. How does Tatyana compare Boris and Dalsky?
9. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
10. Why does Goldy take time off of work?
Choose two or three stories that look at issues relating to a "generation gap." What problems does this gap cause? Is there a resolution? What would it take to resolve the gap?
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)