|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Jake and Yekl," how does Jake plan on spending his pay?
2. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
3. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
4. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
5. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
2. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
3. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
4. What is Flora's father's first impression of Pravly when he returns there in Chapter Three of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
5. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
6. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
7. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
8. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
9. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
10. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of women as revealed in at least three of these stories? How does the role of women differ from today? How is it similar? Give examples from the book and today's culture in your essay.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)