|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
2. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
3. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
4. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
5. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
2. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
3. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
4. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
5. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
6. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
7. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
8. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
9. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
10. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how greed is a theme found in several of these stories. Why do you think Cahan chose to talk about greed? How do the stories treat the theme of greed?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use irony to send a message in this collection of stories?
Essay Topic 3
Explore three symbols used in this collection. Define symbolism and discuss how it is used within this story. Compare and contrast how the symbols function in their own stories and include their purpose.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)