|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
2. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
3. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
4. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
5. How does Flora's father describe the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
2. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
3. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
4. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
5. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
6. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
7. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
8. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
9. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
10. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three titles from this collection and analyze the effectiveness and purpose of each title. Use examples of how it is effective by referring to the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of New York City as a setting. How does setting function as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship of two sets of characters in these stories. Consider how they interact, how they speak to one another, and how their relationship affects the story.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)