|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a choson?
2. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
3. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
4. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
5. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
2. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
3. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
4. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
5. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
6. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
7. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
8. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
9. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
10. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 2
How is dialogue used in this collection of stories? Compare how dialogue is used in at least two stories. How is the dialogue different? How is it similar? Is it used effectively? Give examples by citing the novel in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of Americanization as presented in this collection of stories. What is the role of Americanization? How does American culture impact each of these characters? Use the text to support your claims.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)