|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
2. How does Flora's father describe the library?
3. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
4. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
5. Where does Gospodin say he met Hanele?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
2. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
3. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
4. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
5. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
6. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
7. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
8. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
9. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
10. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use foreshadowing through this collection of stories? How is the use of foreshadowing effective? When is it not used effectively? Give examples of the author's effectiveness or lack thereof, citing the book.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the collection. How do these stories work together? What message does the author deliver when you consider the book in its entirety?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)