|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
2. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
3. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
4. What is a choson?
5. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
2. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
3. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
4. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
5. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
6. What is Flora's father's first impression of Pravly when he returns there in Chapter Three of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
7. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
8. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
9. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
10. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use irony to send a message in this collection of stories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how education is a theme presented in several of the stories in this collection. Cite examples of the theme in a few stories. How is this theme important to each story? What does the theme of education add to the collection? What does it say about the author?
Essay Topic 3
Explore how the workplace is used as setting in several of these stories. Consider the descriptions used and the impact of these settings.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)