|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
(a) Forgetting his own language.
(b) Trying to remember the vowel sounds.
(c) Having to read in English.
(d) Other people teasing him.
2. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A peddler.
(b) A factory worker.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A soldier.
3. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
(b) He is shy.
(c) There aren't any women around.
(d) He is thinking of Hanele.
4. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Beat him up.
(c) Kidnap Hanele.
(d) Steal his money.
5. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
(a) A mayor.
(b) A banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
2. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
3. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
4. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
5. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
2. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
3. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
4. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
5. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
6. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
7. How does Flora's father end up bringing Shaya back to the United States?
8. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
9. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
10. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)