|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
(a) He writes better than Rouvke.
(b) He believes Rouvke likes Hanele.
(c) He wants Rouvke to borrow money from Peretz.
(d) He wants Rouvke to help Peretz with money.
2. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With money.
(b) With a threat.
(c) With a Bible passage.
(d) With her photograph.
3. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
(a) Because she refuses to go.
(b) Because he doesn't have enough money.
(c) Because it's his private trip.
(d) Because she won't fit in.
4. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
(a) Having to read in English.
(b) Trying to remember the vowel sounds.
(c) Other people teasing him.
(d) Forgetting his own language.
5. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) Little Women.
(b) Little Men.
(c) Little Dorrit.
(d) Little Bitty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arbel mean?
2. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
3. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
4. What name does Jake give Yossele in the United States?
5. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fieve help Rouvke negotiate a marriage with Hanele?
2. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
3. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
4. Why does Mamie want Jake to go to Philadelphia?
5. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
6. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
7. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
8. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
9. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
10. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)