|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) Two years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
2. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She goes to college.
(b) She can't understand her.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She threatens Gitl.
3. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
(a) He doesn't want to embarrass Flora.
(b) He doesn't hear their request.
(c) He refuses to speak in public.
(d) He doesn't have it memorized.
4. What is a choson?
(a) A man who is divorced.
(b) A man who pays money for a wife.
(c) A man who is engaged.
(d) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
5. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
(a) She thinks it is a good match.
(b) She thinks it is a dream come true.
(c) She thinks it is ridiculous.
(d) She thinks it will be a disaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
2. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
3. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
4. What worries Flora most about marrying Shaya?
5. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
2. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
3. What happens when Reb Lippe auctions off sections of the Pentaleuch to read?
4. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
5. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
6. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
7. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
8. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
9. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
10. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)