|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
(a) Because it's his private trip.
(b) Because he doesn't have enough money.
(c) Because she won't fit in.
(d) Because she refuses to go.
2. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
(a) A matchmaker.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Chinese man.
3. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
(a) Because she lives in a different country.
(b) Because he likes someone else.
(c) Because she is poor.
(d) Because he doesn't trust the matchmaker.
4. How many daughters does Peretz have?
5. Why does Flora's father decide to grow out his side locks?
(a) Because he is wicked.
(b) Because Tamara asked him.
(c) Because he is bored.
(d) Because the preacher told him to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
2. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
3. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
4. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
5. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
2. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
3. What happens when the Talmudists come for dinner in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
4. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
5. How does Jake feel at his divorce hearing?
6. How do Flora and her father disagree over her marriage prospects?
7. How does Rouvke react to the news that Hanele is engaged to someone else?
8. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
9. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
10. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)