|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
(a) He believes Shaya will earn more money.
(b) He feels it will ruin the boy.
(c) He thinks it's best for his faith.
(d) He refuses to share his opinion.
2. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To convince her to dance.
(b) To ask her out.
(c) To tease her.
(d) To find out where she is from.
3. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) They are dusty and old.
(b) The collection is too small.
(c) She doesn't understand them.
(d) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
4. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(b) They use the telephone.
(c) They don't contact Jake.
(d) They send weekly postcards.
5. What type of Yiddish does Jake speak?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
2. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
3. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
4. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
5. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
2. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
3. How does Jake feel when he first sees his wife and son in the United States?
4. How does Rouvke feel about Peretz's financial issues?
5. What does Jake think about as he goes to the Mayor's to marry Mamie?
6. What does Flora do when Shaya listens to her play the piano?
7. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
8. What happens when Flora's father hears the sermon in Chapter Two of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
9. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
10. What does Hanele tell Rouvke about her trip to the United States?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)