|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
(a) Because he wants to get to know her better.
(b) Because his tutor quit.
(c) Because she knows the current slang.
(d) Because people can't understand him.
2. How does Flora's father describe the library?
3. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) It frightens her.
(b) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
(c) There's not enough room for her son.
(d) It is the Sabbath.
4. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To replace her wig.
(b) To give it to Jake.
(c) To dry her tears.
(d) To cover her lap.
5. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she has changed.
(b) He thinks she is common looking.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) He thinks she won't fit in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
2. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
3. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
4. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
5. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
2. What do the workers in the Lipmans' shop argue about?
3. What does Jake say he did when he came to the United States?
4. Why does Nathan peddle?
5. Why does Boris decide to take in a boarder?
6. What is Tatyana's life like without Boris?
7. How does Dalsky fit in in Boris and Tatyana's house?
8. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
9. What type of wedding does Nathan want?
10. How does Flora react when Shaya comes home for the first time?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)