|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
2. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
(a) He doesn't want to embarrass Flora.
(b) He doesn't hear their request.
(c) He refuses to speak in public.
(d) He doesn't have it memorized.
3. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A writer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A lawyer.
4. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) Little Dorrit.
(b) Little Men.
(c) Little Bitty.
(d) Little Women.
5. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
2. How does Flora's father describe the library?
3. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
4. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
5. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
2. What is Rouvke's life like when he first moves to the United States?
3. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
4. What role does Mrs. Kohan play in Rouvke's marriage?
5. Why do Fanny and Mamie have a conflict with each other?
6. How does Gitl try to fit in with American culture?
7. How does Mr. Bernstein upset Gitl?
8. How does Rouvke react when he first sees Hanele at the seaport in the United States?
9. How does Rouvke feel about American women?
10. How does Jake finally decide to bring his wife and son to the United States?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)