|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) It is the Sabbath.
(b) There's not enough room for her son.
(c) It frightens her.
(d) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
2. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
(a) Western Europe.
(b) His birthplace.
(c) Far away from home.
(d) His father's grave.
3. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his father.
(b) For what she said about his marriage.
(c) For what she said about his money.
(d) For what she said about his mother.
4. What worries Flora most about marrying Shaya?
(a) He isn't tall enough.
(b) He may never learn English.
(c) He may go home.
(d) He may become a rabbi.
5. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Flora's father describe the library?
2. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
3. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
4. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
5. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nathan peddle?
2. How do the Lipmans treat the Avroms?
3. What is the Lipmans' shop like?
4. How does Heyman feel about proposing to Beile?
5. What does Tatyana write in a note to Boris?
6. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya after he spends time in the United States?
7. How does Mrs. Kavarsky try to save Jake and Gitl's marriage?
8. How do Rouvke's old townspeople feel about him?
9. How does Goldy feel after eating dinner at her wedding?
10. What does Fieve tell Rouvke about Hanele and her family after he moved to the United States?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)