|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
(a) For not bringing him over sooner.
(b) For leaving in the first place.
(c) For not hugging his mom.
(d) For not sending him money.
2. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
(b) He is shy.
(c) There aren't any women around.
(d) He is thinking of Hanele.
3. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(b) She doesn't understand them.
(c) They are dusty and old.
(d) The collection is too small.
4. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A peddler.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A factory worker.
5. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will go to jail.
(b) He will be deported from the United States.
(c) He will be fined.
(d) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
6. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To a church.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the courthouse.
7. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
(a) They don't take them seriously.
(b) They spit on them.
(c) They sneer.
(d) They ignore them.
8. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(a) Mr. Bernstein.
(b) Mrs. Kavarsky.
9. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To dry her tears.
(b) To give it to Jake.
(c) To replace her wig.
(d) To cover her lap.
10. How much money does Rouvke save by the time he is 25?
(a) Four thousand dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Three thousand dollars.
(d) Two thousand dollars.
11. How old is Flora in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
12. What does Flora's father tell Reb Lippe about Shaya when they leave for America?
(a) That he will mourn his loss forever.
(b) That he will remember who is best now.
(c) That he is better off without him.
(d) That he will find another boy like him.
13. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is the owner of the house.
(c) She is a widow.
(d) She is their servant.
14. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
15. What is a choson?
(a) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
(b) A man who is divorced.
(c) A man who pays money for a wife.
(d) A man who is engaged.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
2. How does Shaya respond when Flora tells him her father approves of their wedding?
3. What happens when the boss is on a quest for work in "Jake and Yekl"?
4. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
5. What does Feive do for a living?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)