|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) In synagogue.
(b) In church.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At home.
2. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They send weekly postcards.
(b) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(c) They don't contact Jake.
(d) They use the telephone.
3. Why does Fanny find a new job in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) To avoid Jake.
(b) To become her own boss.
(c) To travel the country.
(d) To make more money.
4. What name does Jake give Yossele in the United States?
(a) My Joey.
(b) Darling Joey.
(c) Joey Boy.
(d) Little Joey.
5. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
6. Who does Rouvke say he feels like when he sees Hanele in the United States for the first time?
(a) A matchmaker.
(d) A professor.
7. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A writer.
8. What does Feive do for a living?
(a) He is a rabbi.
(b) He is a banker.
(c) He is a matchmaker.
(d) He is a journalist.
9. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
10. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
(a) They ignore them.
(b) They spit on them.
(c) They sneer.
(d) They don't take them seriously.
11. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) She doesn't understand them.
(b) They are dusty and old.
(c) The collection is too small.
(d) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
12. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
(a) Write his own newspaper.
(b) Move back home.
(c) Study the law.
(d) Open his own store.
13. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To give it to Jake.
(b) To dry her tears.
(c) To cover her lap.
(d) To replace her wig.
14. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
(a) Gossip from their town.
(b) Major world events.
(c) Details from Hanele's life.
(d) Rouvke doesn't talk to his mother at first.
15. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
(a) A Russian.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A matchmaker.
(d) A Chinese man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
2. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
3. How does Jake describe his wife?
4. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
5. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)