|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rouvke say he feels like when he sees Hanele in the United States for the first time?
(b) A professor.
(c) A matchmaker.
2. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
(a) He thinks they are ridiculous.
(b) He thinks they are powerful.
(c) He thinks they are painful.
(d) He thinks they will become true.
3. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she is common looking.
(b) He thinks she is beautiful.
(c) He thinks she has changed.
(d) He thinks she won't fit in.
4. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
(a) To leave.
(b) To never tell her father.
(c) To please do it again.
(d) To never do it again.
5. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
(a) He goes to a religious service.
(b) He borrows a prayer book.
(c) He skips praying.
(d) He makes up his own prayers.
6. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will be fined.
(b) He will go to jail.
(c) He will be deported from the United States.
(d) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
7. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
8. While in the United States, what does Rouvke learn about Peretz?
(a) He moved to Canada.
(b) He acquired a fortune.
(c) He lost a lot of money.
(d) He remarried.
9. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) He is thinking of Hanele.
(b) He is shy.
(c) There aren't any women around.
(d) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
10. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) In synagogue.
(b) At home.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) In church.
11. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
12. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
13. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With her photograph.
(b) With money.
(c) With a threat.
(d) With a Bible passage.
14. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A cobbler.
(b) A factory worker.
(c) A peddler.
(d) A soldier.
15. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) They are dusty and old.
(b) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(c) She doesn't understand them.
(d) The collection is too small.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
2. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
3. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
4. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
5. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)