|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To dry her tears.
(b) To cover her lap.
(c) To replace her wig.
(d) To give it to Jake.
2. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
(a) A Chinese man.
(b) A rabbi.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A matchmaker.
3. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is the owner of the house.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is their servant.
(d) She is a widow.
4. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
5. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
(a) It frustrates him.
(b) It angers him.
(c) It confuses him.
(d) It makes him proud.
6. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
7. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) She doesn't understand them.
(b) The collection is too small.
(c) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(d) They are dusty and old.
8. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
(a) He promises to remain faithful.
(b) Her father offers her money.
(c) He says he will study medicine.
(d) He begins reading gentile books.
9. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
(a) He wants Rouvke to help Peretz with money.
(b) He believes Rouvke likes Hanele.
(c) He writes better than Rouvke.
(d) He wants Rouvke to borrow money from Peretz.
10. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
(b) He will go to jail.
(c) He will be fined.
(d) He will be deported from the United States.
11. Why does Flora's father decide to grow out his side locks?
(a) Because he is wicked.
(b) Because the preacher told him to.
(c) Because Tamara asked him.
(d) Because he is bored.
12. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his marriage.
(b) For what she said about his money.
(c) For what she said about his mother.
(d) For what she said about his father.
13. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
(a) Far away from home.
(b) Western Europe.
(c) His father's grave.
(d) His birthplace.
14. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
(a) Give her half of his property.
(b) Build a synagogue.
(c) Move to Mexico.
(d) Disown Flora.
15. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
(a) He walks away.
(b) He cries.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He snaps at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
2. What name does Jake give Yossele in the United States?
3. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
4. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
5. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)