|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake explain Mamie's visit in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) She asks about work.
(b) She was stopping by.
(c) She is playing a prank.
(d) She feels pleased to meet Gitl.
2. Where does Gospodin say he met Hanele?
(a) At college.
(b) Before they left the dock.
(d) In steerage.
3. What name does Jake give Yossele in the United States?
(a) Darling Joey.
(b) My Joey.
(c) Joey Boy.
(d) Little Joey.
4. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With a Bible passage.
(b) With her photograph.
(c) With a threat.
(d) With money.
5. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
(a) He was smoking a cigarette.
(b) He was kissing a girl.
(c) He was speaking fluent English.
(d) He was reading Dickens.
6. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To convince her to dance.
(b) To find out where she is from.
(c) To tease her.
(d) To ask her out.
7. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A builder.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A writer.
8. Who does Rouvke say he feels like when he sees Hanele in the United States for the first time?
(a) A professor.
(b) A matchmaker.
9. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his money.
(b) For what she said about his marriage.
(c) For what she said about his mother.
(d) For what she said about his father.
10. What happens when the boss is on a quest for work in "Jake and Yekl"?
(a) The workers quit.
(b) The shop goes idle.
(c) His wife ignores him.
(d) He travels to Europe.
11. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To the synagogue.
(b) To the courthouse.
(c) To a church.
(d) To the library.
12. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Call Peretz.
(b) Call the captain of the boat.
(c) Call the police.
(d) Call the newspaper.
13. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is their servant.
(c) She is the owner of the house.
(d) She is a widow.
14. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A cobbler.
(b) A factory worker.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A peddler.
15. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) The collection is too small.
(b) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(c) They are dusty and old.
(d) She doesn't understand them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
2. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
3. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
4. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
5. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)