|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do when he sees Fanny sitting by herself at Joe's in "The New York Ghetto"?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He has Joe ask her to dance.
(c) He brings her a drink.
(d) He asks her to dance.
2. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
(a) At the market.
(b) In the street.
(c) At a train station.
(d) At synagogue.
3. Why does Fanny find a new job in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) To make more money.
(b) To travel the country.
(c) To become her own boss.
(d) To avoid Jake.
4. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
(a) Write his own newspaper.
(b) Study the law.
(c) Move back home.
(d) Open his own store.
5. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
(a) He was kissing a girl.
(b) He was reading Dickens.
(c) He was smoking a cigarette.
(d) He was speaking fluent English.
6. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
(a) Disown Flora.
(b) Move to Mexico.
(c) Build a synagogue.
(d) Give her half of his property.
7. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
(a) He thinks they will become true.
(b) He thinks they are ridiculous.
(c) He thinks they are painful.
(d) He thinks they are powerful.
8. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She can't understand her.
(b) She goes to college.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She threatens Gitl.
9. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his mother.
(b) For what she said about his father.
(c) For what she said about his marriage.
(d) For what she said about his money.
10. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful.
(b) He thinks she has changed.
(c) He thinks she won't fit in.
(d) He thinks she is common looking.
11. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(a) New York.
12. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
(a) He promises to remain faithful.
(b) Her father offers her money.
(c) He begins reading gentile books.
(d) He says he will study medicine.
13. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) It is the Sabbath.
(b) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
(c) It frightens her.
(d) There's not enough room for her son.
14. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
(a) Because it's his private trip.
(b) Because he doesn't have enough money.
(c) Because she won't fit in.
(d) Because she refuses to go.
15. Why does Flora's father decide to grow out his side locks?
(a) Because Tamara asked him.
(b) Because he is wicked.
(c) Because the preacher told him to.
(d) Because he is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
2. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
3. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
4. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
5. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)