|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
2. What does Jake do when he sees Fanny sitting by herself at Joe's in "The New York Ghetto"?
(a) He asks her to dance.
(b) He brings her a drink.
(c) He has Joe ask her to dance.
(d) He ignores her.
3. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
4. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) Little Women.
(b) Little Men.
(c) Little Bitty.
(d) Little Dorrit.
5. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
(a) He cries.
(b) He snaps at her.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He is happy.
6. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(d) New York.
7. How does Jake describe his wife?
(b) He never thinks of her.
8. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To tease her.
(b) To ask her out.
(c) To find out where she is from.
(d) To convince her to dance.
9. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
(a) Trying to remember the vowel sounds.
(b) Forgetting his own language.
(c) Having to read in English.
(d) Other people teasing him.
10. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
(a) At a train station.
(b) At the market.
(c) In the street.
(d) At synagogue.
11. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
(a) Western Europe.
(b) His father's grave.
(c) Far away from home.
(d) His birthplace.
12. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
(a) Move back home.
(b) Open his own store.
(c) Write his own newspaper.
(d) Study the law.
13. How much money does Rouvke save by the time he is 25?
(a) Four thousand dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Three thousand dollars.
14. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she won't fit in.
(b) He thinks she is common looking.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) He thinks she has changed.
15. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because she is similar to him.
(b) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
(c) Because he is hungry.
(d) Because she wanted to run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
2. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
3. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
4. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
5. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)