|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
(a) He borrows a prayer book.
(b) He skips praying.
(c) He goes to a religious service.
(d) He makes up his own prayers.
2. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
3. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) Little Men.
(b) Little Dorrit.
(c) Little Bitty.
(d) Little Women.
4. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
(a) Trying to remember the vowel sounds.
(b) Having to read in English.
(c) Forgetting his own language.
(d) Other people teasing him.
5. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To find out where she is from.
(b) To convince her to dance.
(c) To ask her out.
(d) To tease her.
6. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(a) Mr. Bernstein.
(b) Mrs. Kavarsky.
7. Where does Gospodin say he met Hanele?
(b) Before they left the dock.
(c) At college.
(d) In steerage.
8. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
(a) He promises to remain faithful.
(b) Her father offers her money.
(c) He begins reading gentile books.
(d) He says he will study medicine.
9. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) In church.
(b) At home.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) In synagogue.
10. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
(a) He thinks they are powerful.
(b) He thinks they are ridiculous.
(c) He thinks they will become true.
(d) He thinks they are painful.
11. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
(a) That he looks younger.
(b) That he looks dignified.
(c) That he looks like a gentile.
(d) That he looks ridiculous.
12. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his father.
(b) For what she said about his marriage.
(c) For what she said about his money.
(d) For what she said about his mother.
13. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
14. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
(a) Because he doesn't trust the matchmaker.
(b) Because she is poor.
(c) Because she lives in a different country.
(d) Because he likes someone else.
15. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
(a) To leave.
(b) To never do it again.
(c) To never tell her father.
(d) To please do it again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
2. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
3. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
4. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
5. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)