|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
(a) Because she knows the current slang.
(b) Because his tutor quit.
(c) Because he wants to get to know her better.
(d) Because people can't understand him.
2. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With her photograph.
(b) With a threat.
(c) With a Bible passage.
(d) With money.
3. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
(a) They spit on them.
(b) They sneer.
(c) They don't take them seriously.
(d) They ignore them.
4. Why does Fanny find a new job in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) To become her own boss.
(b) To travel the country.
(c) To make more money.
(d) To avoid Jake.
5. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
(a) He was reading Dickens.
(b) He was speaking fluent English.
(c) He was smoking a cigarette.
(d) He was kissing a girl.
6. What is a choson?
(a) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
(b) A man who is divorced.
(c) A man who is engaged.
(d) A man who pays money for a wife.
7. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
8. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To cover her lap.
(b) To give it to Jake.
(c) To replace her wig.
(d) To dry her tears.
9. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
(a) A scarf.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A hat.
10. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because she wanted to run away.
(b) Because he is hungry.
(c) Because she is similar to him.
(d) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
11. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
(a) Hei s overcome with love.
(b) He is angry at her.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is ashamed of her.
12. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she won't fit in.
(b) He thinks she is common looking.
(c) He thinks she has changed.
(d) He thinks she is beautiful.
13. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
(a) He believes Shaya will earn more money.
(b) He refuses to share his opinion.
(c) He feels it will ruin the boy.
(d) He thinks it's best for his faith.
14. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
(a) To never tell her father.
(b) To leave.
(c) To please do it again.
(d) To never do it again.
15. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
(a) That he looks ridiculous.
(b) That he looks younger.
(c) That he looks like a gentile.
(d) That he looks dignified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
2. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
3. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
4. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
5. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)