|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
(a) It angers him.
(b) It makes him proud.
(c) It confuses him.
(d) It frustrates him.
2. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To cover her lap.
(b) To give it to Jake.
(c) To dry her tears.
(d) To replace her wig.
3. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
(a) He doesn't want to embarrass Flora.
(b) He doesn't have it memorized.
(c) He doesn't hear their request.
(d) He refuses to speak in public.
4. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
(a) That he looks like a gentile.
(b) That he looks ridiculous.
(c) That he looks dignified.
(d) That he looks younger.
5. In "Jake and Yekl," how does Jake plan on spending his pay?
(a) Tickets to New York.
(b) A car.
(c) Taking Fanny out.
(d) New clothes.
6. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
(a) To leave.
(b) To please do it again.
(c) To never do it again.
(d) To never tell her father.
7. What does Arbel mean?
8. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
(a) She thinks it is a dream come true.
(b) She thinks it is a good match.
(c) She thinks it will be a disaster.
(d) She thinks it is ridiculous.
9. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
(a) Study the law.
(b) Move back home.
(c) Open his own store.
(d) Write his own newspaper.
10. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
(a) A Chinese man.
(b) A Russian.
(c) A matchmaker.
(d) A rabbi.
11. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
(a) They offer him their apologies.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They buy him drinks.
(d) They ignore him.
12. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
13. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she won't fit in.
(b) He thinks she has changed.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) He thinks she is common looking.
14. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To ask her out.
(b) To tease her.
(c) To find out where she is from.
(d) To convince her to dance.
15. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They send weekly postcards.
(b) They don't contact Jake.
(c) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(d) They use the telephone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
2. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
3. What does Jake do when he realizes he can no longer remember his son's face?
4. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
5. What does Rouvke change his name to in America?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)