|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
(b) It frightens her.
(c) There's not enough room for her son.
(d) It is the Sabbath.
2. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
(a) They buy him drinks.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They offer him their apologies.
(d) They ignore him.
3. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
(a) It frustrates him.
(b) It confuses him.
(c) It angers him.
(d) It makes him proud.
4. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To give it to Jake.
(b) To replace her wig.
(c) To cover her lap.
(d) To dry her tears.
5. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
(a) Rouvke doesn't talk to his mother at first.
(b) Major world events.
(c) Gossip from their town.
(d) Details from Hanele's life.
6. Who does Rouvke say he feels like when he sees Hanele in the United States for the first time?
(a) A matchmaker.
(d) A professor.
7. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is a widow.
(b) She is the owner of the house.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is their servant.
8. What does Feive do for a living?
(a) He is a journalist.
(b) He is a rabbi.
(c) He is a banker.
(d) He is a matchmaker.
9. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To a church.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the courthouse.
(d) To the library.
10. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With a threat.
(b) With her photograph.
(c) With money.
(d) With a Bible passage.
11. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
12. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
(b) A handbag.
(c) A hat.
(d) A scarf.
13. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They don't contact Jake.
(b) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(c) They use the telephone.
(d) They send weekly postcards.
14. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
(a) Disown Flora.
(b) Give her half of his property.
(c) Move to Mexico.
(d) Build a synagogue.
15. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
(a) They say he needs to start school soon.
(b) They say he is smart.
(c) They say he is too shy.
(d) They say he is a comedian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake explain Mamie's visit in "A Paterfamilias"?
2. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
3. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
4. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
5. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)