|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
(a) He believes Rouvke likes Hanele.
(b) He writes better than Rouvke.
(c) He wants Rouvke to borrow money from Peretz.
(d) He wants Rouvke to help Peretz with money.
2. What does Feive do for a living?
(a) He is a journalist.
(b) He is a rabbi.
(c) He is a matchmaker.
(d) He is a banker.
3. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To find out where she is from.
(b) To ask her out.
(c) To convince her to dance.
(d) To tease her.
4. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
(b) He will be fined.
(c) He will go to jail.
(d) He will be deported from the United States.
5. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his marriage.
(b) For what she said about his father.
(c) For what she said about his money.
(d) For what she said about his mother.
6. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
(a) Disown Flora.
(b) Build a synagogue.
(c) Give her half of his property.
(d) Move to Mexico.
7. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She wants him to leave.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is curious about his past.
8. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(b) New York.
9. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
(b) A handbag.
(c) A hat.
(d) A scarf.
10. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) In synagogue.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At home.
(d) In church.
11. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
(a) They say he is too shy.
(b) They say he is smart.
(c) They say he is a comedian.
(d) They say he needs to start school soon.
12. How does Flora's father describe the library?
13. Why does Flora's father decide to grow out his side locks?
(a) Because he is bored.
(b) Because the preacher told him to.
(c) Because Tamara asked him.
(d) Because he is wicked.
14. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
(a) He doesn't hear their request.
(b) He refuses to speak in public.
(c) He doesn't have it memorized.
(d) He doesn't want to embarrass Flora.
15. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
(a) Displeased and embarrassed.
(b) Pleased, but embarrassed.
(c) Pleased and excited.
(d) Displeased, but excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
2. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
3. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
4. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
5. What does Jake do when he realizes he can no longer remember his son's face?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)