|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
(a) They say he is a comedian.
(b) They say he needs to start school soon.
(c) They say he is smart.
(d) They say he is too shy.
2. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To a church.
(b) To the library.
(c) To the synagogue.
(d) To the courthouse.
3. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his mother.
(b) For what she said about his money.
(c) For what she said about his father.
(d) For what she said about his marriage.
4. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) It frightens her.
(b) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
(c) There's not enough room for her son.
(d) It is the Sabbath.
5. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because she wanted to run away.
(b) Because he is hungry.
(c) Because she is similar to him.
(d) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
6. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
(a) He says he will study medicine.
(b) He promises to remain faithful.
(c) Her father offers her money.
(d) He begins reading gentile books.
7. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
8. What does Arbel mean?
9. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) Little Bitty.
(b) Little Dorrit.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Little Men.
10. How does Jake describe his wife?
(c) He never thinks of her.
11. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
(a) Hei s overcome with love.
(b) He is angry at her.
(c) He is ashamed of her.
(d) He is confused.
12. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
13. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
(a) He makes up his own prayers.
(b) He goes to a religious service.
(c) He borrows a prayer book.
(d) He skips praying.
14. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
(a) At the market.
(b) At a train station.
(c) At synagogue.
(d) In the street.
15. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
(a) It confuses him.
(b) It frustrates him.
(c) It makes him proud.
(d) It angers him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
2. What is a choson?
3. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
4. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
5. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)