|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(c) Mr. Bernstein.
(d) Mrs. Kavarsky.
2. How does Flora's father describe the library?
3. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Beat him up.
(b) Kidnap Hanele.
(c) Steal his money.
(d) Call the police.
4. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A builder.
(b) A writer.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A businessman.
5. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she won't fit in.
(b) He thinks she is common looking.
(c) He thinks she has changed.
(d) He thinks she is beautiful.
6. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
(a) He refuses to speak in public.
(b) He doesn't hear their request.
(c) He doesn't want to embarrass Flora.
(d) He doesn't have it memorized.
7. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
(a) Walks away.
8. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
(a) To please do it again.
(b) To leave.
(c) To never tell her father.
(d) To never do it again.
9. What does Jake do when he realizes he can no longer remember his son's face?
(a) He becomes depressed.
(b) He tries to find a picture.
(c) He plans a trip home.
(d) He goes out to dance.
10. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
(a) He skips praying.
(b) He goes to a religious service.
(c) He borrows a prayer book.
(d) He makes up his own prayers.
11. How old is Flora in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
12. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To convince her to dance.
(b) To tease her.
(c) To ask her out.
(d) To find out where she is from.
13. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) In church.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At home.
(d) In synagogue.
14. How many daughters does Peretz have?
15. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
(a) He believes Shaya will earn more money.
(b) He refuses to share his opinion.
(c) He feels it will ruin the boy.
(d) He thinks it's best for his faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flora's father decide to grow out his side locks?
2. What worries Flora most about marrying Shaya?
3. What does Rouvke want to do instead of being a peddler?
4. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
5. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)