|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
(a) His dinner.
(b) His sorrows.
(c) His marriage fees.
(d) His week's salary.
2. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To give it to Jake.
(b) To cover her lap.
(c) To dry her tears.
(d) To replace her wig.
3. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
(b) It frightens her.
(c) There's not enough room for her son.
(d) It is the Sabbath.
4. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) He is shy.
(b) He is thinking of Hanele.
(c) There aren't any women around.
(d) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
5. Why does Fanny find a new job in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) To travel the country.
(b) To avoid Jake.
(c) To become her own boss.
(d) To make more money.
6. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
(a) The number of billboards.
(b) The presence of a Catholic church.
(c) The crumbling roads.
(d) The lack of old buildings.
7. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
(a) He says he will study medicine.
(b) Her father offers her money.
(c) He promises to remain faithful.
(d) He begins reading gentile books.
8. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
(a) He refuses to share his opinion.
(b) He thinks it's best for his faith.
(c) He feels it will ruin the boy.
(d) He believes Shaya will earn more money.
9. What does Jake do when he realizes he can no longer remember his son's face?
(a) He becomes depressed.
(b) He goes out to dance.
(c) He plans a trip home.
(d) He tries to find a picture.
10. What happens when the boss is on a quest for work in "Jake and Yekl"?
(a) He travels to Europe.
(b) The workers quit.
(c) His wife ignores him.
(d) The shop goes idle.
11. How much money does Rouvke save by the time he is 25?
(a) Three thousand dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Four thousand dollars.
12. How does Shaya respond when Flora tells him her father approves of their wedding?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He jumps up and down.
(c) He wants to listen to people read books.
(d) He kisses her.
13. What is Flora reading in Chapter One of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) Little Dorrit.
(b) Little Bitty.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Little Men.
14. What type of Yiddish does Jake speak?
(b) New York.
15. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
(a) He was kissing a girl.
(b) He was reading Dickens.
(c) He was smoking a cigarette.
(d) He was speaking fluent English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
2. What worries Flora most about marrying Shaya?
3. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
4. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
5. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)