|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
(a) He was kissing a girl.
(b) He was smoking a cigarette.
(c) He was reading Dickens.
(d) He was speaking fluent English.
2. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
(a) Build a synagogue.
(b) Move to Mexico.
(c) Give her half of his property.
(d) Disown Flora.
3. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To convince her to dance.
(b) To ask her out.
(c) To find out where she is from.
(d) To tease her.
4. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful.
(b) He thinks she is common looking.
(c) He thinks she has changed.
(d) He thinks she won't fit in.
5. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will be deported from the United States.
(b) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
(c) He will be fined.
(d) He will go to jail.
6. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
(a) Because his tutor quit.
(b) Because he wants to get to know her better.
(c) Because she knows the current slang.
(d) Because people can't understand him.
7. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To dry her tears.
(b) To replace her wig.
(c) To cover her lap.
(d) To give it to Jake.
8. While in the United States, what does Rouvke learn about Peretz?
(a) He lost a lot of money.
(b) He remarried.
(c) He acquired a fortune.
(d) He moved to Canada.
9. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
(a) That he looks dignified.
(b) That he looks younger.
(c) That he looks ridiculous.
(d) That he looks like a gentile.
10. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To the courthouse.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To a church.
(d) To the library.
11. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
12. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With money.
(b) With her photograph.
(c) With a threat.
(d) With a Bible passage.
13. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
(a) He is ashamed of her.
(b) He is angry at her.
(c) He is confused.
(d) Hei s overcome with love.
14. How old is Flora in "The Imported Bridegroom"?
15. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rouvke meet with Fieve again in the United States?
2. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
3. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
4. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
5. In what sport is Jake most interested?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)