|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(c) New York.
2. While in the United States, what does Rouvke learn about Peretz?
(a) He remarried.
(b) He acquired a fortune.
(c) He lost a lot of money.
(d) He moved to Canada.
3. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
(a) They laugh at him.
(b) They offer him their apologies.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They buy him drinks.
4. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because she wanted to run away.
(b) Because she is similar to him.
(c) Because he is hungry.
(d) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
5. Where does Gospodin say he met Hanele?
(a) Before they left the dock.
(b) In steerage.
(c) At college.
6. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
(a) Because she is poor.
(b) Because he likes someone else.
(c) Because he doesn't trust the matchmaker.
(d) Because she lives in a different country.
7. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
(b) Walks away.
8. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) There aren't any women around.
(b) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
(c) He is shy.
(d) He is thinking of Hanele.
9. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She wants him to leave.
(c) She is curious about his past.
(d) She hates him.
10. What is a choson?
(a) A man who is engaged.
(b) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
(c) A man who is divorced.
(d) A man who pays money for a wife.
11. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
(a) Forgetting his own language.
(b) Trying to remember the vowel sounds.
(c) Having to read in English.
(d) Other people teasing him.
12. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
(a) He cries.
(b) He walks away.
(c) He snaps at her.
(d) He is happy.
13. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his father.
(b) For what she said about his mother.
(c) For what she said about his marriage.
(d) For what she said about his money.
14. How does Jake describe his wife?
(a) He never thinks of her.
15. What type of Yiddish does Jake speak?
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
2. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
3. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
4. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
5. What makes Flora agree to become Shaya's sweetheart?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)