Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
2. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is their servant.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is a widow.
(d) She is the owner of the house.
3. What does Rouvke's mother think of recent photos of him?
(a) That he looks ridiculous.
(b) That he looks younger.
(c) That he looks dignified.
(d) That he looks like a gentile.
4. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
(a) His sorrows.
(b) His dinner.
(c) His marriage fees.
(d) His week's salary.
5. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
(a) They sneer.
(b) They don't take them seriously.
(c) They spit on them.
(d) They ignore them.
6. What worries Flora most about marrying Shaya?
(a) He isn't tall enough.
(b) He may never learn English.
(c) He may become a rabbi.
(d) He may go home.
7. How does Jake explain Mamie's visit in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) She was stopping by.
(b) She asks about work.
(c) She feels pleased to meet Gitl.
(d) She is playing a prank.
8. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To find out where she is from.
(b) To convince her to dance.
(c) To ask her out.
(d) To tease her.
9. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
(a) She thinks it is ridiculous.
(b) She thinks it is a dream come true.
(c) She thinks it is a good match.
(d) She thinks it will be a disaster.
10. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Call the captain of the boat.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Call the newspaper.
(d) Call Peretz.
11. What does Arbel mean?
12. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
(a) They say he is a comedian.
(b) They say he is smart.
(c) They say he is too shy.
(d) They say he needs to start school soon.
13. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They offer him their apologies.
(c) They buy him drinks.
(d) They laugh at him.
14. In "Jake and Yekl," how long has it been since Jake last saw his parents?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
15. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
(a) His birthplace.
(b) Far away from home.
(c) His father's grave.
(d) Western Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sport is Jake most interested?
2. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
3. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
4. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
5. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)