|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
(a) Because she refuses to go.
(b) Because it's his private trip.
(c) Because he doesn't have enough money.
(d) Because she won't fit in.
2. What does Rouvke change his name to in America?
3. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
(a) Disown Flora.
(b) Give her half of his property.
(c) Move to Mexico.
(d) Build a synagogue.
4. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Call Peretz.
(b) Call the captain of the boat.
(c) Call the newspaper.
(d) Call the police.
5. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
(a) They say he is too shy.
(b) They say he needs to start school soon.
(c) They say he is a comedian.
(d) They say he is smart.
6. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
7. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
(b) Because he is hungry.
(c) Because she wanted to run away.
(d) Because she is similar to him.
8. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
(a) She thinks it is ridiculous.
(b) She thinks it is a good match.
(c) She thinks it will be a disaster.
(d) She thinks it is a dream come true.
9. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
(a) Walks away.
10. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) The collection is too small.
(b) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(c) They are dusty and old.
(d) She doesn't understand them.
11. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
(a) His dinner.
(b) His marriage fees.
(c) His week's salary.
(d) His sorrows.
12. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
13. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
(a) He refuses to share his opinion.
(b) He thinks it's best for his faith.
(c) He believes Shaya will earn more money.
(d) He feels it will ruin the boy.
14. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A builder.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A writer.
15. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is the owner of the house.
(b) She is their servant.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is a widow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
2. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
3. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
4. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
5. How does Shaya respond when Flora tells him her father approves of their wedding?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)