|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Flora's father describe the library?
2. What do the other peddlers do after Hanele leaves Rouyke for Gospodin?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They buy him drinks.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They offer him their apologies.
3. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(b) They send weekly postcards.
(c) They don't contact Jake.
(d) They use the telephone.
4. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
(a) Rouvke doesn't talk to his mother at first.
(b) Gossip from their town.
(c) Major world events.
(d) Details from Hanele's life.
5. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
(a) He skips praying.
(b) He borrows a prayer book.
(c) He goes to a religious service.
(d) He makes up his own prayers.
6. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A writer.
(b) A builder.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A businessman.
7. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To the library.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the courthouse.
(d) To a church.
8. What happens when the boss is on a quest for work in "Jake and Yekl"?
(a) His wife ignores him.
(b) The workers quit.
(c) The shop goes idle.
(d) He travels to Europe.
9. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Steal his money.
(b) Beat him up.
(c) Kidnap Hanele.
(d) Call the police.
10. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To give it to Jake.
(b) To cover her lap.
(c) To dry her tears.
(d) To replace her wig.
11. While in the United States, what does Rouvke learn about Peretz?
(a) He moved to Canada.
(b) He acquired a fortune.
(c) He lost a lot of money.
(d) He remarried.
12. What language does Jake disapprove of Getl speaking?
13. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With money.
(b) With a threat.
(c) With a Bible passage.
(d) With her photograph.
14. What does Jake do when he realizes he can no longer remember his son's face?
(a) He goes out to dance.
(b) He tries to find a picture.
(c) He plans a trip home.
(d) He becomes depressed.
15. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A peddler.
(c) A factory worker.
(d) A cobbler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
2. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
3. How does Jake feel the first time he sees Gitl in the United States?
4. What does Flora's father tell Reb Lippe about Shaya when they leave for America?
5. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)