|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Rouvke save by the time he is 25?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Two thousand dollars.
(c) Four thousand dollars.
(d) Three thousand dollars.
2. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(b) Mrs. Kavarsky.
(d) Mr. Bernstein.
3. What does Flora say to Shaya the first time he kisses her?
(a) To please do it again.
(b) To leave.
(c) To never do it again.
(d) To never tell her father.
4. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
(a) He doesn't have it memorized.
(b) He doesn't want to embarrass Flora.
(c) He doesn't hear their request.
(d) He refuses to speak in public.
5. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
(a) He cries.
(b) He walks away.
(c) He snaps at her.
(d) He is happy.
6. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To the courthouse.
(b) To the synagogue.
(c) To the library.
(d) To a church.
7. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) They are dusty and old.
(b) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(c) She doesn't understand them.
(d) The collection is too small.
8. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
(a) His marriage fees.
(b) His sorrows.
(c) His dinner.
(d) His week's salary.
9. Why does Rouvke want to spite Mrs. Kohan?
(a) For what she said about his money.
(b) For what she said about his mother.
(c) For what she said about his father.
(d) For what she said about his marriage.
10. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
(a) He thinks they are ridiculous.
(b) He thinks they will become true.
(c) He thinks they are powerful.
(d) He thinks they are painful.
11. In "Jake and Yekl," how does Jake plan on spending his pay?
(a) Taking Fanny out.
(b) A car.
(c) Tickets to New York.
(d) New clothes.
12. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will go to jail.
(b) He will be fined.
(c) He will be deported from the United States.
(d) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
13. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
(b) Because she wanted to run away.
(c) Because she is similar to him.
(d) Because he is hungry.
14. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They send weekly postcards.
(b) They don't contact Jake.
(c) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(d) They use the telephone.
15. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
(a) It frightens her.
(b) There's not enough room for her son.
(c) She thinks that women aren't allowed.
(d) It is the Sabbath.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
2. What does Flora hope her future husband will do for a living?
3. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
4. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
5. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)