|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Jake and Yekl," how does Jake plan on spending his pay?
(a) Taking Fanny out.
(b) Tickets to New York.
(c) New clothes.
(d) A car.
2. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With money.
(b) With a threat.
(c) With her photograph.
(d) With a Bible passage.
3. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) The collection is too small.
(b) They are dusty and old.
(c) She doesn't understand them.
(d) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
4. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful.
(b) He thinks she is common looking.
(c) He thinks she has changed.
(d) He thinks she won't fit in.
5. What is a choson?
(a) A man who is engaged.
(b) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
(c) A man who pays money for a wife.
(d) A man who is divorced.
6. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) He is shy.
(b) He is thinking of Hanele.
(c) There aren't any women around.
(d) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
7. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A factory worker.
(b) A cobbler.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A peddler.
8. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(a) New York.
9. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(c) Mr. Bernstein.
(d) Mrs. Kavarsky.
10. What does Jake do when he sees Fanny sitting by herself at Joe's in "The New York Ghetto"?
(a) He asks her to dance.
(b) He has Joe ask her to dance.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He brings her a drink.
11. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because she wanted to run away.
(b) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
(c) Because he is hungry.
(d) Because she is similar to him.
12. How does Jake describe his wife?
(a) He never thinks of her.
13. What does Flora's father tell Reb Lippe about Shaya when they leave for America?
(a) That he will find another boy like him.
(b) That he will remember who is best now.
(c) That he will mourn his loss forever.
(d) That he is better off without him.
14. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
(a) Because he likes someone else.
(b) Because she is poor.
(c) Because she lives in a different country.
(d) Because he doesn't trust the matchmaker.
15. How does Flora's father describe the library?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
2. What does Gospodin agree to pay Rouvke for?
3. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
4. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
5. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)