|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reb Tzalel feel Shaya is becoming an atheist?
(a) He was speaking fluent English.
(b) He was kissing a girl.
(c) He was reading Dickens.
(d) He was smoking a cigarette.
2. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She threatens Gitl.
(b) She goes to college.
(c) She can't understand her.
(d) She is beautiful.
3. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
(a) He thinks it's appropriate to talk to them.
(b) He is shy.
(c) He is thinking of Hanele.
(d) There aren't any women around.
4. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) At home.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) In synagogue.
(d) In church.
5. How does Jake describe his wife?
(c) He never thinks of her.
6. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
(a) From reading newspapers.
(b) From a friend.
(c) Night school.
(d) An American high school.
7. How does Shaya respond when Flora tells him her father approves of their wedding?
(a) He wants to listen to people read books.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He jumps up and down.
(d) He ignores her.
8. What does Feive threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Call the captain of the boat.
(c) Call the newspaper.
(d) Call Peretz.
9. What is a choson?
(a) A man who is divorced.
(b) A man who is engaged.
(c) A man who pays money for a wife.
(d) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
10. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
(a) A matchmaker.
(b) A Russian.
(c) A Chinese man.
(d) A rabbi.
11. What do Jake's friends think about Yossele?
(a) They say he is smart.
(b) They say he needs to start school soon.
(c) They say he is a comedian.
(d) They say he is too shy.
12. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
(a) For not sending him money.
(b) For leaving in the first place.
(c) For not hugging his mom.
(d) For not bringing him over sooner.
13. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
(b) A hat.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A scarf.
14. Who does Rouvke say he feels like when he sees Hanele in the United States for the first time?
(a) A professor.
(b) A matchmaker.
15. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
(a) They ignore them.
(b) They don't take them seriously.
(c) They spit on them.
(d) They sneer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
2. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
3. Why won't Shaya say the "Words of the Law" when the Talmudists ask him?
4. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
5. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)