Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
2. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A peddler.
(b) A factory worker.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A cobbler.
3. How does Rouvke feel when he sees Hanele for the first time in the United States?
(a) He thinks she is common looking.
(b) He thinks she has changed.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) He thinks she won't fit in.
4. How do Jake's parents contact him in the United States?
(a) They don't contact Jake.
(b) They have someone write letters on their behalf.
(c) They use the telephone.
(d) They send weekly postcards.
5. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) At home.
(b) In synagogue.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) In church.
6. Why does Flora's father decide to grow out his side locks?
(a) Because he is bored.
(b) Because the preacher told him to.
(c) Because Tamara asked him.
(d) Because he is wicked.
7. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
(a) Because it's his private trip.
(b) Because she refuses to go.
(c) Because he doesn't have enough money.
(d) Because she won't fit in.
8. How does Reb Tzalel feel about Shaya coming to America?
(a) He believes Shaya will earn more money.
(b) He feels it will ruin the boy.
(c) He refuses to share his opinion.
(d) He thinks it's best for his faith.
9. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A writer.
(c) A builder.
(d) A businessman.
10. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
(a) The crumbling roads.
(b) The presence of a Catholic church.
(c) The number of billboards.
(d) The lack of old buildings.
11. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will be deported from the United States.
(b) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
(c) He will go to jail.
(d) He will be fined.
12. What does Jake do when he realizes he can no longer remember his son's face?
(a) He tries to find a picture.
(b) He becomes depressed.
(c) He goes out to dance.
(d) He plans a trip home.
13. What happens when the boss is on a quest for work in "Jake and Yekl"?
(a) His wife ignores him.
(b) The workers quit.
(c) The shop goes idle.
(d) He travels to Europe.
14. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
(a) For leaving in the first place.
(b) For not hugging his mom.
(c) For not sending him money.
(d) For not bringing him over sooner.
15. How does Getl feel the first time she tries on a corset?
(a) Displeased, but excited.
(b) Pleased and excited.
(c) Displeased and embarrassed.
(d) Pleased, but embarrassed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
2. Why does Rouvke avoid women when he is first in the United States?
3. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
4. How does Jake respond when Fanny asks him about dance class?
5. Why does Getl not want to ride in a carriage in the United States?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)