|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rouvke feel about his day dreams of marrying Hanele?
(a) He thinks they are powerful.
(b) He thinks they are painful.
(c) He thinks they will become true.
(d) He thinks they are ridiculous.
2. What worries Flora most about marrying Shaya?
(a) He isn't tall enough.
(b) He may go home.
(c) He may never learn English.
(d) He may become a rabbi.
3. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
(a) Because she lives in a different country.
(b) Because he likes someone else.
(c) Because she is poor.
(d) Because he doesn't trust the matchmaker.
4. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
(a) To a church.
(b) To the library.
(c) To the courthouse.
(d) To the synagogue.
5. In "The New York Ghetto," why does Joe want Jake to talk to Mamie?
(a) To convince her to dance.
(b) To find out where she is from.
(c) To tease her.
(d) To ask her out.
6. Where does Rouvke learn to read and write in English?
(a) From a friend.
(b) From reading newspapers.
(c) An American high school.
(d) Night school.
7. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
8. Who does Rouvke say he feels like when he sees Hanele in the United States for the first time?
(b) A professor.
(c) A matchmaker.
9. What does Gitl do when her divorce from Jake is finalized?
(b) Walks away.
10. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(a) Mr. Bernstein.
(c) Mrs. Kavarsky.
11. What does Shaya secretly study after learning English?
12. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She goes to college.
(c) She can't understand her.
(d) She threatens Gitl.
13. How does Mrs. Kohan feel about Rouvke marrying Hanele?
(a) She thinks it is a dream come true.
(b) She thinks it will be a disaster.
(c) She thinks it is ridiculous.
(d) She thinks it is a good match.
14. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A builder.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A writer.
(d) A businessman.
15. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) The collection is too small.
(b) She doesn't understand them.
(c) They are dusty and old.
(d) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
2. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
3. How does Shaya respond when Flora tells him her father approves of their wedding?
4. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
5. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)