|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To give it to Jake.
(b) To cover her lap.
(c) To replace her wig.
(d) To dry her tears.
2. What does Jake do when he realizes he can't remember his prayers?
(a) He goes to a religious service.
(b) He makes up his own prayers.
(c) He skips praying.
(d) He borrows a prayer book.
3. What does Rouvke threaten to do to Gospodin?
(a) Kidnap Hanele.
(b) Beat him up.
(c) Steal his money.
(d) Call the police.
4. What does Mrs. Kavarsky insist Jake buy for Getl?
(a) A hat.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A handbag.
5. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(c) New York.
6. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
(a) A builder.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A businessman.
(d) A writer.
7. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
(a) For not bringing him over sooner.
(b) For not sending him money.
(c) For not hugging his mom.
(d) For leaving in the first place.
8. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A peddler.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A factory worker.
9. What upsets Rouvke most about learning English?
(a) Trying to remember the vowel sounds.
(b) Having to read in English.
(c) Other people teasing him.
(d) Forgetting his own language.
10. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She can't understand her.
(b) She goes to college.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She threatens Gitl.
11. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) They are dusty and old.
(b) She doesn't understand them.
(c) The collection is too small.
(d) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
12. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because she is similar to him.
(b) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
(c) Because she wanted to run away.
(d) Because he is hungry.
13. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
(a) Because it's his private trip.
(b) Because she won't fit in.
(c) Because he doesn't have enough money.
(d) Because she refuses to go.
14. In "Jake and Yekl," how does Jake plan on spending his pay?
(a) Tickets to New York.
(b) New clothes.
(c) A car.
(d) Taking Fanny out.
15. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
(a) A mayor.
(b) A banker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsets Flora's father about Pravly?
2. Where does Gospodin say he met Hanele?
3. How does Jake explain Mamie's visit in "A Paterfamilias"?
4. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
5. What does Rouvke change his name to in America?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)