|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gospodin say he met Hanele?
(a) In steerage.
(b) Before they left the dock.
(c) At college.
2. While in the United States, what does Rouvke learn about Peretz?
(a) He remarried.
(b) He acquired a fortune.
(c) He moved to Canada.
(d) He lost a lot of money.
3. How does Flora's father feel about her reading novels?
(a) It confuses him.
(b) It makes him proud.
(c) It angers him.
(d) It frustrates him.
4. How does Flora's father convince Shaya to marry Flora?
(a) With a threat.
(b) With her photograph.
(c) With a Bible passage.
(d) With money.
5. Where does Flora's father accuse Shaya of eating pork?
(a) In synagogue.
(b) In church.
(c) At a restaurant.
(d) At home.
6. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She goes to college.
(c) She can't understand her.
(d) She threatens Gitl.
7. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
(b) He will be fined.
(c) He will be deported from the United States.
(d) He will go to jail.
8. What is a choson?
(a) A man who pays money for a wife.
(b) A man who is divorced.
(c) A man who is engaged.
(d) A man who is on the matrimonial market.
9. How does Jake explain Mamie's visit in "A Paterfamilias"?
(a) She is playing a prank.
(b) She asks about work.
(c) She was stopping by.
(d) She feels pleased to meet Gitl.
10. What is Rouvke's first job in America?
(a) A factory worker.
(b) A peddler.
(c) A cobbler.
(d) A soldier.
11. Why does Yossele kick Jake after arriving in the United States?
(a) For not hugging his mom.
(b) For not sending him money.
(c) For not bringing him over sooner.
(d) For leaving in the first place.
12. In "The New York Ghetto," what does Jake buy both Fanny and Mamie?
13. Where does Jake hope to bring his wife and son?
(c) New York.
14. Why does Fieve write to Peretz on behalf of Rouvke?
(a) He writes better than Rouvke.
(b) He wants Rouvke to help Peretz with money.
(c) He believes Rouvke likes Hanele.
(d) He wants Rouvke to borrow money from Peretz.
15. What does Rouvke fear ladies do to men who can't read the newspaper?
(a) They sneer.
(b) They ignore them.
(c) They spit on them.
(d) They don't take them seriously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Flora's father announce he will travel after Passover?
2. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
3. How does Flora feel when she first meets Shaya?
4. What does Flora's father hope her future husband will do for a living?
5. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)