|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rouvke change his name to in America?
2. How does Flora's father want to fix her wedding to Shaya?
(a) With a divorce.
(b) With a celebration party.
(c) With a Jewish ceremony.
(d) With prayer.
3. Why does Flora have Tamara send food to Shaya?
(a) Because he is hungry.
(b) Because she wanted to run away.
(c) Because Tamara was in Flora's way.
(d) Because she is similar to him.
4. How does Mr. Bernstein describe America?
5. Why do Shaya's collection of Hebrew books make Flora cry?
(a) They are dusty and old.
(b) She doesn't understand them.
(c) They take the place of her books on the shelf.
(d) The collection is too small.
6. What frightens Gitl about Mamie?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She can't understand her.
(c) She goes to college.
(d) She threatens Gitl.
7. In "A Providential Match," who comes up with the nickname "Arbel"?
(a) A mayor.
(c) A banker.
8. Why does Shaya ask Flora for help with his English?
(a) Because people can't understand him.
(b) Because he wants to get to know her better.
(c) Because his tutor quit.
(d) Because she knows the current slang.
9. What does Mrs. Kavarsky tell Gitl will happen to Jake if he cheats?
(a) He will go to jail.
(b) He will be deported from the United States.
(c) He will be kicked out of the apartment.
(d) He will be fined.
10. Who tells Gitl about Jake's relationship with Mamie?
(b) Mrs. Kavarsky.
(d) Mr. Bernstein.
11. Why does Getl get a kerchief?
(a) To give it to Jake.
(b) To dry her tears.
(c) To replace her wig.
(d) To cover her lap.
12. Why does Tamara live with Flora's family?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is their servant.
(c) She is the owner of the house.
(d) She is a widow.
13. Why does Rouvke reject the matchmaker's offer to negotiate the marriage between Rouvke and Hanele?
(a) Because she is poor.
(b) Because he likes someone else.
(c) Because she lives in a different country.
(d) Because he doesn't trust the matchmaker.
14. Who does Rouvke see escorting Hanele at the seaport?
(a) A rabbi.
(b) A matchmaker.
(c) A Russian.
(d) A Chinese man.
15. What does Rouvke ask his mother to tell him about when he is first in the United States?
(a) Gossip from their town.
(b) Rouvke doesn't talk to his mother at first.
(c) Major world events.
(d) Details from Hanele's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Flora feel about Shaya's love of American books?
2. What name does Jake give Yossele in the United States?
3. Why does Flora's father tell Tamara he won't take Flora with him on his trip after Passover?
4. Where does Flora go when she runs away in Chapter Ten of "The Imported Bridegroom"?
5. What does Flora's father decide to do after proposing marriage to Tamara?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)