|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
2. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
3. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
4. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
5. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
2. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
3. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
4. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
5. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
6. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
7. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
8. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
9. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
10. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the colorful language of the farmers in both the Baxter and Forrester families comes to life. Choose one farm saying or figure of speech used by one of the characters and explain what it means. Then, explain how that figure of speech characterizes the speaker who used it and how the saying relates to the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)