|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
2. Why does Penny explain that it was necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto?
3. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
4. What color is Twink's hair?
5. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
2. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
3. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
4. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
5. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
6. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
7. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
8. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
9. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
10. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)