|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
2. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
3. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
4. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
5. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
2. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
3. What is the response to Jody's ability at planting the tobacco seeds?
4. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
5. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
6. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
7. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
8. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
9. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
10. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
As the novel progresses, Jody's relationship to the animals in the woods changes. Define three different relationships that Jody has with animals in his woods and describe the ways that Jody's relationship with those animals changes as his character matures.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)