|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
2. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
3. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
4. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
5. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
2. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
3. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
4. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
5. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
6. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
7. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
8. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
9. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
10. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the colorful language of the farmers in both the Baxter and Forrester families comes to life. Choose one farm saying or figure of speech used by one of the characters and explain what it means. Then, explain how that figure of speech characterizes the speaker who used it and how the saying relates to the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, there are many times that the Baxters lose their animals and crops. Choose two instances in which the Baxters were set back in their profits. Describe each instance and explain how this loss affected the Baxters directly.
Essay Topic 3
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)