|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
2. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
3. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
4. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
5. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
2. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
3. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
4. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
5. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
6. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
7. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
8. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
9. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
10. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel progresses, Jody's relationship to the animals in the woods changes. Define three different relationships that Jody has with animals in his woods and describe the ways that Jody's relationship with those animals changes as his character matures.
Essay Topic 2
When the wolves enter the Baxter family land, they cause chaos in the family.
Part 1.) Describe the way that the wolves directly affect life for the Baxters on the farm.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast the ways that the Baxters and the Forresters propose to get rid of the wolves and the conflict that arises due to their disagreement.
Part 3.) Explain the aftereffects of killing the wolves on both the people and animals involved.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "The Yearling," a title that can be taken two ways. Explain how the title of the novel could be describing Jody's life or Flag's life and how Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings parallels the two coming-of-age stories throughout the novel.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)