|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the novel, what does Jody realize is the only thing that can bring him comfort?
2. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
3. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
4. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
5. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
Short Essay Questions
1. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
2. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
3. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
4. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
5. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
6. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
7. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
8. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
9. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
10. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the middle of the novel, there is a flood that overtakes the Baxter's land.
Part 1.) Describe the effects that the flood had on the land surrounding the Baxter's farm.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that the Baxter family was directly affected by the flood's damages.
Part 3.) Explain how the Baxter family survived in the months following the flood's damages.
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapters of the novel, the theme of boyhood is presented. Compare/contrast the boyhood that Jody experiences in the novel with the boyhood his father, Penny, remembers. Then, explain the ways that Penny's remembered boyhood affects the way that he deals with his son during that same age range.
Essay Topic 3
After Penny is injured by the rattlesnake, there is a period of time when Buck Forrester stays with the Baxter family. Compare/contrast life on the Baxter farm before and during Buck's time there and explain how Buck Forrester helped to change Ma Baxter's mindset about the Forrester family.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)