|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
2. At the end of the novel, what does Jody realize is the only thing that can bring him comfort?
3. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
4. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
5. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the rising climax of the novel, the fight between the Forrester and Baxter family comes to a head at the Volusia Christmas party.
Part 1.) Explain what happened in the final fight between the two families.
Part 2.) Explain why Grandma Hutto decided to lie to Oliver about the events.
Part 3.) Describe what the final effects of the fight were on both families and their relationship to each other and the woods.
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapters of the novel, the theme of boyhood is presented. Compare/contrast the boyhood that Jody experiences in the novel with the boyhood his father, Penny, remembers. Then, explain the ways that Penny's remembered boyhood affects the way that he deals with his son during that same age range.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)