|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
2. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
3. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
4. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
5. Who does Jody attempt to talk to on the way to Volusia, prompting him to deeply miss Fodder Wing?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the first half of the novel, Penny Baxter is presented as an almost invincible man in his son's eyes. Explain why Jody has such high esteem for his father. Then, choose two examples of moments when Jody's faith in his father's ability begins to fade. Finally, explain how Jody's view of his father's strength has changed by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
When the wolves enter the Baxter family land, they cause chaos in the family.
Part 1.) Describe the way that the wolves directly affect life for the Baxters on the farm.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast the ways that the Baxters and the Forresters propose to get rid of the wolves and the conflict that arises due to their disagreement.
Part 3.) Explain the aftereffects of killing the wolves on both the people and animals involved.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)