|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
2. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
3. When Penny and Jody finally arrive at Grandma Hutto's home, which of the following adjectives best describes the conversation between Ma Baxter and Grandma Hutto?
4. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
5. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
2. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
3. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
4. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
5. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
6. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
7. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
8. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
9. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
10. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel progresses, Jody's relationship to the animals in the woods changes. Define three different relationships that Jody has with animals in his woods and describe the ways that Jody's relationship with those animals changes as his character matures.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first half of the novel, Penny Baxter is presented as an almost invincible man in his son's eyes. Explain why Jody has such high esteem for his father. Then, choose two examples of moments when Jody's faith in his father's ability begins to fade. Finally, explain how Jody's view of his father's strength has changed by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
After Flag's death, Jody decides that running away from his family is the best option.
Part 1.) Describe Jody's plans to run away and how he will execute those plans.
Part 2.) Explain the emotions that Jody felt when he was running away and his motivations for wanting to leave his family behind.
Part 3.) Describe the lessons that Jody learned while he was on the run and what his conclusions about life with his family were.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)