|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
2. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
3. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
4. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
5. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
2. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
3. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
4. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
5. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
6. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
7. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
8. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
9. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
10. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are many times that the Baxters lose their animals and crops. Choose two instances in which the Baxters were set back in their profits. Describe each instance and explain how this loss affected the Baxters directly.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, Jody Baxter proclaims his three life's desires. Briefly describe each of the three desires that Jody has for his life and explain how, through the course of the novel, he accomplishes each one.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)