|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
2. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
3. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
4. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
5. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
2. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
3. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
4. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
5. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
6. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
7. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
8. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
9. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
10. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the colorful language of the farmers in both the Baxter and Forrester families comes to life. Choose one farm saying or figure of speech used by one of the characters and explain what it means. Then, explain how that figure of speech characterizes the speaker who used it and how the saying relates to the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)