|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
2. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
3. When the storm arrives, how many days does it last?
4. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
5. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
2. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
3. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
4. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
5. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
6. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
7. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
8. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
9. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
10. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penny Baxter spends most of his life priding himself on his honesty. Choose one situation where Penny used honesty to get him out of a sticky situation and one situation when Penny chose to lie. How does the dichotomy of truth and lies present itself as a theme in the novel through Penny's character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
Essay Topic 3
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)