|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
2. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
3. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
4. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
5. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
2. What is the response to Jody's ability at planting the tobacco seeds?
3. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
4. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
5. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
6. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
7. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
8. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
9. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
10. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penny Baxter spends most of his life priding himself on his honesty. Choose one situation where Penny used honesty to get him out of a sticky situation and one situation when Penny chose to lie. How does the dichotomy of truth and lies present itself as a theme in the novel through Penny's character?
Essay Topic 2
In the opening chapter, Jody Baxter proclaims his three life's desires. Briefly describe each of the three desires that Jody has for his life and explain how, through the course of the novel, he accomplishes each one.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "The Yearling," a title that can be taken two ways. Explain how the title of the novel could be describing Jody's life or Flag's life and how Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings parallels the two coming-of-age stories throughout the novel.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)