|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
2. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
3. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
4. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
5. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
2. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
3. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
4. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
5. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
6. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
7. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
8. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
9. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
10. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buck Forrester enters the Baxter family's life as a beacon of light. Gradually, as the novel progresses, that light begins to fade. Describe how Buck Forrester functions as a beacon of light and explain how the changing character of Buck Forrester signals to the reader that darkness is quickly approaching the Baxter family.
Essay Topic 2
After Penny is injured by the rattlesnake, there is a period of time when Buck Forrester stays with the Baxter family. Compare/contrast life on the Baxter farm before and during Buck's time there and explain how Buck Forrester helped to change Ma Baxter's mindset about the Forrester family.
Essay Topic 3
After Flag's death, Jody decides that running away from his family is the best option.
Part 1.) Describe Jody's plans to run away and how he will execute those plans.
Part 2.) Explain the emotions that Jody felt when he was running away and his motivations for wanting to leave his family behind.
Part 3.) Describe the lessons that Jody learned while he was on the run and what his conclusions about life with his family were.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)