|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody is forced to pen Flag, what does he use to construct the cage?
2. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
3. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
4. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
5. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
2. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
3. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
4. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
5. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
6. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
7. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
8. What is the response to Jody's ability at planting the tobacco seeds?
9. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
10. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are many times that the Baxters lose their animals and crops. Choose two instances in which the Baxters were set back in their profits. Describe each instance and explain how this loss affected the Baxters directly.
Essay Topic 2
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
Essay Topic 3
Penny Baxter spends most of his life priding himself on his honesty. Choose one situation where Penny used honesty to get him out of a sticky situation and one situation when Penny chose to lie. How does the dichotomy of truth and lies present itself as a theme in the novel through Penny's character?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)