|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
2. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
3. At the end of the novel, what does Jody realize is the only thing that can bring him comfort?
4. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
5. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
2. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
3. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
4. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
5. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
6. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
7. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
8. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
9. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
10. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buck Forrester enters the Baxter family's life as a beacon of light. Gradually, as the novel progresses, that light begins to fade. Describe how Buck Forrester functions as a beacon of light and explain how the changing character of Buck Forrester signals to the reader that darkness is quickly approaching the Baxter family.
Essay Topic 2
When the wolves enter the Baxter family land, they cause chaos in the family.
Part 1.) Describe the way that the wolves directly affect life for the Baxters on the farm.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast the ways that the Baxters and the Forresters propose to get rid of the wolves and the conflict that arises due to their disagreement.
Part 3.) Explain the aftereffects of killing the wolves on both the people and animals involved.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)