Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
2. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
3. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
4. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
5. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
Essay Topic 1
Two families play central roles in the novel: the Baxter family and the Forrester family. Briefly describe each family and compare/contrast the way that the two families relate to the woods and nature that they live in.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first half of the novel, Penny Baxter is presented as an almost invincible man in his son's eyes. Explain why Jody has such high esteem for his father. Then, choose two examples of moments when Jody's faith in his father's ability begins to fade. Finally, explain how Jody's view of his father's strength has changed by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the colorful language of the farmers in both the Baxter and Forrester families comes to life. Choose one farm saying or figure of speech used by one of the characters and explain what it means. Then, explain how that figure of speech characterizes the speaker who used it and how the saying relates to the plot of the novel.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)