|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
2. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
3. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
4. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
5. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
2. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
3. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
4. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
5. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
6. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
7. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
8. What is the response to Jody's ability at planting the tobacco seeds?
9. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
10. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the colorful language of the farmers in both the Baxter and Forrester families comes to life. Choose one farm saying or figure of speech used by one of the characters and explain what it means. Then, explain how that figure of speech characterizes the speaker who used it and how the saying relates to the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
After Flag's death, Jody decides that running away from his family is the best option.
Part 1.) Describe Jody's plans to run away and how he will execute those plans.
Part 2.) Explain the emotions that Jody felt when he was running away and his motivations for wanting to leave his family behind.
Part 3.) Describe the lessons that Jody learned while he was on the run and what his conclusions about life with his family were.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)