|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Baxter family's horse?
2. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
3. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
4. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
5. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
Essay Topic 1
Buck Forrester enters the Baxter family's life as a beacon of light. Gradually, as the novel progresses, that light begins to fade. Describe how Buck Forrester functions as a beacon of light and explain how the changing character of Buck Forrester signals to the reader that darkness is quickly approaching the Baxter family.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
Essay Topic 3
Two families play central roles in the novel: the Baxter family and the Forrester family. Briefly describe each family and compare/contrast the way that the two families relate to the woods and nature that they live in.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)