|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Doc Wilson?
2. Who is watching over Jody when he awakens from the fistfight?
3. Which of the following words is used to describe the color of Jody's hair?
4. What does Jody create with palm fronds in the woods?
5. Which of the following is NOT used as a description of Oliver Hutto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significant even happened when Jody Baxter was two years old?
2. How is the Baxter family's limestone sinkhole divided?
3. How do each of Jody's parents react to the fact that he has been rambling in the woods all morning rather than doing his chores?
4. How did Fodder Wing earn his nickname, and what was the result of his accident?
5. After Fodder Wing's death, what does Jody realize about nature?
6. Why does Penny shoot the doe while out searching for his missing hogs?
7. What do Jody and Mill Wheel discuss while they are out in the woods searching for the fawn?
8. What happens when Jody goes swimming at Grandma Hutto's house?
9. How does the Baxter family prepare the buck that Penny shoots with his new gun?
10. How is Jody injured during the fight between Oliver Hutto and the Forrester men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapters of the novel, the theme of boyhood is presented. Compare/contrast the boyhood that Jody experiences in the novel with the boyhood his father, Penny, remembers. Then, explain the ways that Penny's remembered boyhood affects the way that he deals with his son during that same age range.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first half of the novel, Penny Baxter is presented as an almost invincible man in his son's eyes. Explain why Jody has such high esteem for his father. Then, choose two examples of moments when Jody's faith in his father's ability begins to fade. Finally, explain how Jody's view of his father's strength has changed by the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)