|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is watching over Jody when he awakens from the fistfight?
2. When Jody is sick in bed, what is Ma worried will kill him if not properly treated?
3. What is the name of Lem Forrester's sweetheart?
4. After his father's attack, what relationship does Jody have with the animal that attacked him?
5. What does Jody see his father do, which prompts him to believe his father will live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Penny shoot the doe while out searching for his missing hogs?
2. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
3. After the fistfight, what does Oliver ask of Jody, and what is Jody's response?
4. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
5. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
6. What does Jody realize when he visits Fodder Wing's collection of pets after Fodder Wing's death?
7. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
8. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
9. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
10. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
Essay Topic 2
The title of the novel is "The Yearling," a title that can be taken two ways. Explain how the title of the novel could be describing Jody's life or Flag's life and how Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings parallels the two coming-of-age stories throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, Jody Baxter proclaims his three life's desires. Briefly describe each of the three desires that Jody has for his life and explain how, through the course of the novel, he accomplishes each one.
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)