Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Grandma Hutto's little white dog?
2. After his father's attack, what relationship does Jody have with the animal that attacked him?
3. Who chooses the new name, Flag, for Jody's new fawn?
4. As Penny and Jody are traveling to the Forrester home, which stories does Penny tell his son?
5. Who is watching over Jody when he awakens from the fistfight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
2. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
3. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
4. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
5. How do each of Jody's parents react to the fact that he has been rambling in the woods all morning rather than doing his chores?
6. After Fodder Wing's death, what does Jody realize about nature?
7. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
8. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
9. How does the Baxter family feel about the need to have a watering well?
10. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
Essay Topic 3
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)