|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grandma Hutto allow Jody to return home after the fistfight?
2. What does Jody see his father do, which prompts him to believe his father will live?
3. After the encounter with the Spaniard, what type of animal does Jody watch feeding its young?
4. Who chooses the new name, Flag, for Jody's new fawn?
5. What is the name of the city where Grandma Hutto lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Fodder Wing's death, what does Jody realize about nature?
2. How does the Baxter family feel about the need to have a watering well?
3. When Penny realizes that the hogs are missing, what does he do?
4. What do Jody and Mill Wheel discuss while they are out in the woods searching for the fawn?
5. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
6. After holding the buck skin, what realization does Jody make about his relationship with the animals on his family's land?
7. How has the Baxter farm changed from the beginning of summer to the end, in August?
8. How did Fodder Wing earn his nickname, and what was the result of his accident?
9. How is the Baxter family's limestone sinkhole divided?
10. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buck Forrester enters the Baxter family's life as a beacon of light. Gradually, as the novel progresses, that light begins to fade. Describe how Buck Forrester functions as a beacon of light and explain how the changing character of Buck Forrester signals to the reader that darkness is quickly approaching the Baxter family.
Essay Topic 2
The character of Twink plays an important role in adding conflict to the novel.
Part 1.) Describe Twink's character and explain why she was a desirable woman to the men in the novel.
Part 2.) Explain why Twink's character added conflict to the story and what the outcome of that conflict was.
Part 3.) Describe which man, either Oliver Hutto or Lem Forrester, would make a better husband for Twink and explain why.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)