|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Penny say Julia must mend before she will be well enough to hunt Old Slewfoot again?
2. What is the name of the city where Grandma Hutto lives?
3. As Penny and Jody are traveling to the Forrester home, which stories does Penny tell his son?
4. From which character did Penny earn the nickname "Leetle ol' Penny Baxter"?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the lunchtime meal that Jody and his father eat at the Forrester home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Penny shoot the doe while out searching for his missing hogs?
2. What does Fodder Wing tell Jody about the magnolia tree, and what is Jody's reaction?
3. What happens when the Forrester boys wake up, thinking that they hear a "varmint" scratching around their mother's bedpost?
4. What happens when Jody goes swimming at Grandma Hutto's house?
5. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
6. How did Fodder Wing earn his nickname, and what was the result of his accident?
7. How does Oliver react to hearing the news that Lem Forrester has claimed Twink as his sweetheart?
8. What plan does Jody concoct to persuade his parents that he is mature enough to take on the fawn as a pet?
9. After the fistfight, what does Oliver ask of Jody, and what is Jody's response?
10. What reaction does Jody have when Old Slewfoot kills the Baxter family's pregnant sow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penny Baxter spends most of his life priding himself on his honesty. Choose one situation where Penny used honesty to get him out of a sticky situation and one situation when Penny chose to lie. How does the dichotomy of truth and lies present itself as a theme in the novel through Penny's character?
Essay Topic 2
When the wolves enter the Baxter family land, they cause chaos in the family.
Part 1.) Describe the way that the wolves directly affect life for the Baxters on the farm.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast the ways that the Baxters and the Forresters propose to get rid of the wolves and the conflict that arises due to their disagreement.
Part 3.) Explain the aftereffects of killing the wolves on both the people and animals involved.
Essay Topic 3
In the opening chapter, Jody Baxter proclaims his three life's desires. Briefly describe each of the three desires that Jody has for his life and explain how, through the course of the novel, he accomplishes each one.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)