|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody see his father do, which prompts him to believe his father will live?
2. What overwhelming feeling does Jody feel when he is cleaning out the sinkhole?
3. When Jody leaves to visit Fodder Wing, he is warned that what animal is in its mating season?
4. After his father's attack, what relationship does Jody have with the animal that attacked him?
5. Why doesn't the Baxter family own a well?
Short Essay Questions
1. After living through the fistfight, what does Jody realize about Oliver Hutto?
2. While walking to the fishing hole, what does Penny inform Jody about the Minorcans?
3. What do Jody and Mill Wheel discuss while they are out in the woods searching for the fawn?
4. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
5. How does the Baxter family prepare the buck that Penny shoots with his new gun?
6. Why does Penny shoot the doe while out searching for his missing hogs?
7. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
8. How is Jody injured during the fight between Oliver Hutto and the Forrester men?
9. How does the Baxter family feel about the need to have a watering well?
10. What plan does Jody concoct to persuade his parents that he is mature enough to take on the fawn as a pet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the wolves enter the Baxter family land, they cause chaos in the family.
Part 1.) Describe the way that the wolves directly affect life for the Baxters on the farm.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast the ways that the Baxters and the Forresters propose to get rid of the wolves and the conflict that arises due to their disagreement.
Part 3.) Explain the aftereffects of killing the wolves on both the people and animals involved.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "The Yearling," a title that can be taken two ways. Explain how the title of the novel could be describing Jody's life or Flag's life and how Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings parallels the two coming-of-age stories throughout the novel.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)