Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Grandma Hutto's little white dog?
2. After his father's attack, what relationship does Jody have with the animal that attacked him?
3. Who chooses the new name, Flag, for Jody's new fawn?
4. As Penny and Jody are traveling to the Forrester home, which stories does Penny tell his son?
5. Who is watching over Jody when he awakens from the fistfight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
2. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
3. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
4. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
5. How do each of Jody's parents react to the fact that he has been rambling in the woods all morning rather than doing his chores?
6. After Fodder Wing's death, what does Jody realize about nature?
7. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
8. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
9. How does the Baxter family feel about the need to have a watering well?
10. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
Throughout the novel, the colorful language of the farmers in both the Baxter and Forrester families comes to life. Choose one farm saying or figure of speech used by one of the characters and explain what it means. Then, explain how that figure of speech characterizes the speaker who used it and how the saying relates to the plot of the novel.
In the opening chapter, Jody Baxter proclaims his three life's desires. Briefly describe each of the three desires that Jody has for his life and explain how, through the course of the novel, he accomplishes each one.
As the novel progresses, Jody's relationship to the animals in the woods changes. Define three different relationships that Jody has with animals in his woods and describe the ways that Jody's relationship with those animals changes as his character matures.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)