|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Penny borrow a mare to travel home?
2. Who does Oliver leave the dinner table to visit, infuriating Jody?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes the lunchtime meal that Jody and his father eat at the Forrester home?
4. Which of the following best describes Doc Wilson?
5. Penny and Jody see a type of "dancing" bird while they are out fishing. What type of bird is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Baxter family's limestone sinkhole divided?
2. How does the Baxter family prepare the buck that Penny shoots with his new gun?
3. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
4. While walking to the fishing hole, what does Penny inform Jody about the Minorcans?
5. How do each of Jody's parents react to the fact that he has been rambling in the woods all morning rather than doing his chores?
6. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
7. How has the Baxter farm changed from the beginning of summer to the end, in August?
8. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
9. After living through the fistfight, what does Jody realize about Oliver Hutto?
10. Why does Penny shoot the doe while out searching for his missing hogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Flag's death, Jody decides that running away from his family is the best option.
Part 1.) Describe Jody's plans to run away and how he will execute those plans.
Part 2.) Explain the emotions that Jody felt when he was running away and his motivations for wanting to leave his family behind.
Part 3.) Describe the lessons that Jody learned while he was on the run and what his conclusions about life with his family were.
Essay Topic 2
In the middle of the novel, there is a flood that overtakes the Baxter's land.
Part 1.) Describe the effects that the flood had on the land surrounding the Baxter's farm.
Part 2.) Describe the ways that the Baxter family was directly affected by the flood's damages.
Part 3.) Explain how the Baxter family survived in the months following the flood's damages.
Essay Topic 3
The title of the novel is "The Yearling," a title that can be taken two ways. Explain how the title of the novel could be describing Jody's life or Flag's life and how Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings parallels the two coming-of-age stories throughout the novel.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)