|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is injured during the first hunt of Old Slewfoot?
2. Buck considers what animals to be vandals in the cornfield?
3. What does Jody admit to eating, which he believes has caused his upset stomach?
4. Which of the following is NOT used as a description of Oliver Hutto?
5. Which of the following words might Jody use to describe his day in the woods in the opening chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jody do in the middle of the night after Old Slewfoot has been killed and everyone has fallen asleep?
2. When Penny realizes that the hogs are missing, what does he do?
3. How did Fodder Wing earn his nickname, and what was the result of his accident?
4. What does Fodder Wing tell Jody about the magnolia tree, and what is Jody's reaction?
5. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
6. How does Oliver react to hearing the news that Lem Forrester has claimed Twink as his sweetheart?
7. After Fodder Wing's death, what does Jody realize about nature?
8. What significant even happened when Jody Baxter was two years old?
9. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
10. After the fistfight, what does Oliver ask of Jody, and what is Jody's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Penny is injured by the rattlesnake, there is a period of time when Buck Forrester stays with the Baxter family. Compare/contrast life on the Baxter farm before and during Buck's time there and explain how Buck Forrester helped to change Ma Baxter's mindset about the Forrester family.
Essay Topic 2
Penny Baxter spends most of his life priding himself on his honesty. Choose one situation where Penny used honesty to get him out of a sticky situation and one situation when Penny chose to lie. How does the dichotomy of truth and lies present itself as a theme in the novel through Penny's character?
Essay Topic 3
As the novel progresses, Jody's relationship to the animals in the woods changes. Define three different relationships that Jody has with animals in his woods and describe the ways that Jody's relationship with those animals changes as his character matures.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)