|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody sees that his mother is in a bad mood, on what does he compliment her in an attempt to cheer her mood?
2. When the Baxter hogs were returned, what was included as a supposed peace offering?
3. How does Jody react when he first sees the Spaniard in the trees?
4. When Jody sees Oliver to say goodbye, what does Oliver ask Jody to do for him?
5. Who does Oliver leave the dinner table to visit, infuriating Jody?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
2. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
3. How do each of Jody's parents react to the fact that he has been rambling in the woods all morning rather than doing his chores?
4. After the fistfight, what does Oliver ask of Jody, and what is Jody's response?
5. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
6. What does Jody do in the middle of the night after Old Slewfoot has been killed and everyone has fallen asleep?
7. What happens when Jody goes swimming at Grandma Hutto's house?
8. How does the Baxter family feel about the need to have a watering well?
9. What reaction does Jody have when Old Slewfoot kills the Baxter family's pregnant sow?
10. When Penny realizes that the hogs are missing, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fodder Wing played an important role in Jody's relationship with animals.
Part 1.) Explain who Fodder Wing is and how he got his name.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast Fodder Wing and Jody's relationships with the animals of the woods.
Part 3.) Theorize how Fodder Wing would have reacted to Flag's fate.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, all three literary conflicts arise: man versus self, man versus man, and man versus nature. Choose which form of literary conflict you believe to be the strongest in the novel and explain why, citing at least three examples of this form of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both of Jody's parents have very different parenting styles and opinions about Jody's childhood. Briefly describe the way that each of Jody's parents raised him and what effect both of their parenting styles had in shaping his character as he matured.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)