|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Penny encourage Jody to return the small fish that he caught back into the water?
2. What information about Fodder Wing does Jody learn from Fodder Wing's brother while they are in the woods together?
3. On the ferry ride across the river, what does Jody think about?
4. When Jody leaves to visit Fodder Wing, he is warned that what animal is in its mating season?
5. Which of the following words is used to describe the color of Jody's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
2. What happens during Fodder Wing's burial service?
3. When Penny realizes that the hogs are missing, what does he do?
4. What do Jody and Mill Wheel discuss while they are out in the woods searching for the fawn?
5. How has the Baxter farm changed from the beginning of summer to the end, in August?
6. While walking to the fishing hole, what does Penny inform Jody about the Minorcans?
7. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
8. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
9. What happens when Jody eats half-ripe berries from the woods?
10. How is the Baxter family's limestone sinkhole divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the wolves enter the Baxter family land, they cause chaos in the family.
Part 1.) Describe the way that the wolves directly affect life for the Baxters on the farm.
Part 2.) Compare/contrast the ways that the Baxters and the Forresters propose to get rid of the wolves and the conflict that arises due to their disagreement.
Part 3.) Explain the aftereffects of killing the wolves on both the people and animals involved.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, there are many times that the Baxters lose their animals and crops. Choose two instances in which the Baxters were set back in their profits. Describe each instance and explain how this loss affected the Baxters directly.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the first half of the novel, Penny Baxter is presented as an almost invincible man in his son's eyes. Explain why Jody has such high esteem for his father. Then, choose two examples of moments when Jody's faith in his father's ability begins to fade. Finally, explain how Jody's view of his father's strength has changed by the end of the novel.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)