|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vegetable is Jody hoeing on the day that he wants to visit Fodder Wing with his new fawn?
2. How does Ma Baxter feel about Buck Forrester staying in their home?
3. How many sons do the Forresters have?
4. Why doesn't the Baxter family own a well?
5. Buck considers what animals to be vandals in the cornfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jody eats half-ripe berries from the woods?
2. Jody and his father have what reaction to Fodder Wing's baby raccoon?
3. How is Jody injured during the fight between Oliver Hutto and the Forrester men?
4. When Penny realizes that the hogs are missing, what does he do?
5. After the fistfight, what does Oliver ask of Jody, and what is Jody's response?
6. How does Buck Forrester teach Jody to rob a bee hive?
7. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
8. Why does Penny shoot the doe while out searching for his missing hogs?
9. After Fodder Wing's death, what does Jody realize about nature?
10. What significant even happened when Jody Baxter was two years old?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the rising climax of the novel, the fight between the Forrester and Baxter family comes to a head at the Volusia Christmas party.
Part 1.) Explain what happened in the final fight between the two families.
Part 2.) Explain why Grandma Hutto decided to lie to Oliver about the events.
Part 3.) Describe what the final effects of the fight were on both families and their relationship to each other and the woods.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Jody experiences two major losses: the death of Fodder Wing and the death of Flag. Describe how each death affected Jody's character and how each death propelled him toward his maturation into manhood.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are many times that the Baxters lose their animals and crops. Choose two instances in which the Baxters were set back in their profits. Describe each instance and explain how this loss affected the Baxters directly.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)