|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
(a) Working hard around the farm.
(b) Playing skip-rope with the neighbors.
(c) Reading books in his bedroom.
(d) Hunting in the woods.
2. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) Through the polluted soil.
(b) In the swamp.
(c) Through their watering hole.
(d) In the air.
3. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Playing with the family dogs.
(b) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(c) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
(d) Howling at the sun.
4. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(b) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
(c) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(d) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
5. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
(a) To a park where people feed deer.
(b) To a butcher shop.
(c) To a rich child who would want Flag as a pet.
(d) To a zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody is forced to pen Flag, what does he use to construct the cage?
2. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
3. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
4. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
5. After Christmas, to what does Jody compare the members of the Hutto family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
2. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
3. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
4. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
5. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
6. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
7. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
8. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
9. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
10. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)