|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Release him into the wild.
(c) Hide him from Ma.
(d) Shoot him.
2. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
(a) That the corn will not take and will therefore be a loss.
(b) That Flag will eat the new crop.
(c) That the Forresters will come and steal the newly planted corn.
(d) That another animal will eat the new crop, and Ma will accuse Flag.
3. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
(b) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
(c) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(d) The Forresters arrive to help them.
4. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(b) He never looks back.
(c) More times that Jody can count.
5. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
(a) They burn down Grandma Hutto's home.
(b) They kidnap Grandma Hutto for ransom.
(c) They kill Oliver and Twink.
(d) They steal all the family's food supply for the winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
2. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
3. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
4. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
5. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
2. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
3. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
4. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
5. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
6. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
7. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
8. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
9. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
10. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)