|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) In the air.
(b) Through the polluted soil.
(c) In the swamp.
(d) Through their watering hole.
2. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
3. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(b) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(c) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(d) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
4. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
(a) Picket fence posts from neighboring houses.
(b) Dead animal carcasses.
(c) Ankle-deep water.
(d) Bent and broken trees.
5. What is the name of the Baxter family's horse?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
2. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
3. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
4. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
5. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
2. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
3. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
4. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
5. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
6. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
7. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
8. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
9. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
10. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)