|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
(b) Ma Baxter.
(c) Old Julia.
2. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
(a) By boat.
(b) By train.
(c) By walking.
(d) By wagon.
3. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
(a) Because he doesn't know what a hurricane is.
(b) Because their fields are completely parched of water.
(c) Because he is angry at his father and wishes the crops to be ruined.
(d) Because he has fond memories of rain.
4. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Chicago.
(c) To Boston.
(d) To Seattle.
5. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Bears migrating to the south.
(b) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
(c) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
(d) Sea birds flying overhead.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
2. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
3. At the end of the novel, what does Jody realize is the only thing that can bring him comfort?
4. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
5. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
2. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
3. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
4. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
5. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
6. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
7. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
8. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
9. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
10. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)