|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
2. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Death.
(b) Black Tongue.
(c) Black Plague.
(d) Black Widow.
3. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
(a) A rattling musical instrument.
(b) A necklace for his mother.
(c) A collar for Flag.
(d) A bean-soup for his family.
4. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
5. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Playing with the family dogs.
(b) Howling at the sun.
(c) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(d) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
2. Who is Nellie Ginright?
3. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
4. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
5. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
2. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
3. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
4. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
5. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
6. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
7. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
8. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
9. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
10. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)