|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(b) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(c) So that they won't catch the plague.
(d) Because the family is starving.
2. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Smoking meat.
(b) Blooming lilac trees.
(c) Rising salt water.
(d) Rotting carcasses.
3. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) No species was spared.
(b) Two species.
(c) Three species.
(d) Ten species.
4. Why does Penny explain that it was necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto?
(a) Because Oliver would never have believed the truth.
(b) Because the Forresters would never be convicted of their crime.
(c) Because the Forresters would have lied to the judges.
(d) Because the Forresters hadn't really done anything wrong.
5. While searching the woods, what animal do the men discover has migrated north?
(a) The bears.
(b) The deer.
(c) The squirrels.
(d) The panthers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
2. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
3. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
4. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
5. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
2. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
3. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
4. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
5. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
6. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
7. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
8. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
9. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
10. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)