|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because their dog won't go in the water.
(b) Because Jody can't swim.
(c) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
(d) Because Penny can't swim.
2. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has caught the plague.
(b) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(c) He has rheumatism.
(d) He has a fever.
3. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Mill Wheel Forrester.
(c) Penny Baxter.
(d) Buck Forrester.
4. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Penny Baxter.
(b) Buck Forester.
(c) Lem Forrester.
(d) Ma Baxter.
5. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Blooming lilac trees.
(b) Rising salt water.
(c) Rotting carcasses.
(d) Smoking meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
2. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
3. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
4. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
5. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)