|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
(b) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
(c) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(d) The Forresters arrive to help them.
2. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
3. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
4. Why does Penny explain that it was necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto?
(a) Because the Forresters would have lied to the judges.
(b) Because the Forresters would never be convicted of their crime.
(c) Because Oliver would never have believed the truth.
(d) Because the Forresters hadn't really done anything wrong.
5. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
(a) By walking.
(b) By boat.
(c) By train.
(d) By wagon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jody attempt to talk to on the way to Volusia, prompting him to deeply miss Fodder Wing?
2. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
3. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
4. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
5. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
2. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
3. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
4. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
5. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
6. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
7. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
8. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
9. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
10. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)