|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
2. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He had a fever.
(b) He was bitten by the bear.
(c) He accidentally shot his own leg.
(d) He caught the plague.
3. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
(b) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
(c) Sea birds flying overhead.
(d) Bears migrating to the south.
4. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has rheumatism.
(b) He has caught the plague.
(c) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(d) He has a fever.
5. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to resent the yearling.
(b) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
(c) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(d) He is growing to love the yearling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
2. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
3. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
4. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
5. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
2. What is the response to Jody's ability at planting the tobacco seeds?
3. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
4. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
5. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
6. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
7. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
8. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
9. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
10. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)