|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Bears migrating to the south.
(b) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
(c) Sea birds flying overhead.
(d) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
2. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
3. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
(a) Poison them.
(b) Drown them.
(c) Trap them.
(d) Shoot them.
4. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(b) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
(c) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
(d) Because they don't have any other food supply.
5. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) No species was spared.
(b) Two species.
(c) Three species.
(d) Ten species.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
2. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
3. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
4. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
5. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
2. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
3. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
4. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
5. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
6. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
7. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
8. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
9. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
10. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)