|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Buck Forrester's response to his brother's accusation of Penny Baxter?
(a) He believes that both men are lying.
(b) He believes his brother is telling the truth.
(c) He believes that both men are telling their own truths.
(d) He believes that Penny is telling the truth.
2. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
3. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
(a) A buck.
(b) A wildcat.
(c) A moose.
(d) A bear.
4. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(b) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(c) Because they are Flag's tracks.
(d) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
5. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he still owes the doctor money.
(b) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
(c) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(d) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
2. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
3. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
4. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
5. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
2. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
3. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
4. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
5. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
6. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
7. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
8. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
9. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
10. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)