|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
2. Who does Jody attempt to talk to on the way to Volusia, prompting him to deeply miss Fodder Wing?
(a) The ferry boy.
(b) The horse wrangler.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The blacksmith.
3. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
(b) He is growing to resent the yearling.
(c) He is growing to love the yearling.
(d) He is growing to fear the yearling.
4. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
(a) From Grandma Hutto's home.
(b) From the scrub.
(c) From Mr. Boyle's general store.
(d) From the Forrester's yard.
5. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
2. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
3. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
4. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
5. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
2. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
3. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
4. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
5. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
6. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
7. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
8. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
9. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
10. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)