|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(a) He never looks back.
(c) More times that Jody can count.
2. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
(a) Churning milk into butter.
(b) Planting the fields.
(c) Skinning the deer.
(d) Chopping wood.
3. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
4. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(b) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(c) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(d) Ma bans Flag from the house.
5. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Smoking meat.
(b) Rising salt water.
(c) Blooming lilac trees.
(d) Rotting carcasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
2. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
3. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
4. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
5. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
2. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
3. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
4. How is Penny injured while he is trying to uproot a tree trunk?
5. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
6. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
7. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
8. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
9. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
10. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)