|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
2. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) A bear.
(b) A panther.
(c) A wild dog.
(d) An alligator.
3. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
(a) The sweet potatoes.
(b) The corn.
(c) The sugar cane.
(d) The beets.
4. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Ma Baxter.
(d) Buck Forester.
5. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Playing with the family dogs.
(b) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
(c) Howling at the sun.
(d) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
2. What is the name of the Baxter family's horse?
3. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
4. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
5. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
2. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
3. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
4. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
5. What happens during the middle of the night, prompting Ma Baxter to ban Flag from entering the house?
6. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
7. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
8. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
9. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
10. What are Jody's final thoughts at the close of the novel?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)