|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Buck Forester.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Lem Forrester.
(d) Ma Baxter.
2. Who is Nellie Ginright?
(a) The town's school teacher.
(b) A female scientist studying the behaviors of bears.
(c) Ma Baxter's best friend.
(d) Penny's old girlfriend.
3. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Mill Wheel Forrester.
(b) Lem Forrester.
(c) Penny Baxter.
(d) Buck Forrester.
4. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Bears migrating to the south.
(b) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
(c) Sea birds flying overhead.
(d) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
5. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because Penny can't swim.
(b) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
(c) Because Jody can't swim.
(d) Because their dog won't go in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Twink's hair?
2. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
3. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
4. What is the name of the Baxter family's horse?
5. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
2. What happens to make the Baxter family realize that Old Slewfoot has returned?
3. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
4. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
5. How does Penny propose that they get the fabric Ma requested for her Christmas dress?
6. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
7. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
8. Why are the Baxter and Forrester men glad that Fodder Wing is not alive to prowl the woods with them?
9. Why doesn't Penny want to hunt the wolves with the Forrester family?
10. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)