|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Penny explain that it was necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto?
(a) Because the Forresters hadn't really done anything wrong.
(b) Because the Forresters would have lied to the judges.
(c) Because Oliver would never have believed the truth.
(d) Because the Forresters would never be convicted of their crime.
2. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him amusement.
(b) It brings him terror.
(c) It brings him comfort.
(d) It brings him no joy.
3. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(b) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(c) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(d) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
4. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(d) Sweet potatoes.
5. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
(a) A moose.
(b) A wildcat.
(c) A bear.
(d) A buck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nellie Ginright?
2. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
3. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
4. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
5. Which of the following best describes the meat that Old Slewfoot's body produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
2. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
3. According to Penny, why is it necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto about the origins of Grandma Hutto's house fire, and what is Ma Baxter's response to the explanation?
4. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
5. Describe the events directly contributing to Flag's death.
6. While hunting for the wolves, why do Penny and Lem get into a fight over a buck?
7. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
8. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
9. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
10. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)