|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
(a) He sees Flag eating the crop.
(b) He recognizes Flag's tracks in the dirt.
(c) Ma swears that she saw Flag with an ear of corn in his mouth.
(d) He smells the corn on Flag's breath.
2. Who is Nellie Ginright?
(a) Ma Baxter's best friend.
(b) The town's school teacher.
(c) Penny's old girlfriend.
(d) A female scientist studying the behaviors of bears.
3. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
(a) A wildcat.
(b) A moose.
(c) A buck.
(d) A bear.
4. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(a) More times that Jody can count.
(d) He never looks back.
5. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
(a) Because their fields are completely parched of water.
(b) Because he doesn't know what a hurricane is.
(c) Because he has fond memories of rain.
(d) Because he is angry at his father and wishes the crops to be ruined.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
2. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
3. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
4. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
5. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response to Oliver Hutto and Twink's return from the steamship?
2. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
3. What plan does Jody concoct to try to save Flag from being shot?
4. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
5. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
6. How does the family react to seeing the first frost of the year?
7. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
8. Why do Penny and Jody return to Mullet Prairie?
9. After Flag dies, how does Jody plan to escape to Boston?
10. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)