|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(b) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(c) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(d) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
2. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him comfort.
(b) It brings him no joy.
(c) It brings him terror.
(d) It brings him amusement.
3. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Howling at the sun.
(b) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
(c) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(d) Playing with the family dogs.
4. When the storm arrives, how many days does it last?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
5. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
(b) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(c) Because they don't have any other food supply.
(d) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
2. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
3. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
4. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
5. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
Short Essay Questions
1. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
2. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
3. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
4. How does Jody build the fence that protects the corn crops from Flag?
5. What happens to the Baxter family's crops during the seven-day storm?
6. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
7. What prompts Jody to change his opinion of Twink?
8. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
9. How does it happen that Jody kills his first bear?
10. How does Jody know that Flag is maturing in the yearling phase of his life?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)