|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(b) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
(c) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(d) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
2. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
(a) Reading books in his bedroom.
(b) Hunting in the woods.
(c) Working hard around the farm.
(d) Playing skip-rope with the neighbors.
3. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
(a) In the coming spring.
(b) In the coming summer.
(c) In the coming winter.
(d) In the coming fall.
4. When Jody is forced to pen Flag, what does he use to construct the cage?
(a) Old fences.
(b) Old siding from the cabin.
(c) Old railroad tracks.
(d) Old tree limbs.
5. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
2. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
3. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
4. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
5. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of winter, how does the family feel about Old Slewfoot's meat?
2. After hunting the wolves in the woods, why must Penny put all his trust in Buck Forrester?
3. Why are all the animals in the woods dying, and what does Jody fear in this realization?
4. How is Penny coping with his groin injury at the time of Flag's bad behavior?
5. What do Jody and Penny witness the maimed wolf doing on their land, and what is their response?
6. What happens when Jody is asked to pen Flag?
7. How can Jody tell that Flag is beginning to mature into a buck?
8. What is the response to Jody's ability at planting the tobacco seeds?
9. Why does Jody view stormy weather as a particularly nostalgic time of his life?
10. Why does Buck Forrester keep the hide of Old Slewfoot, and what is the reaction to his plan?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)