|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Penny encourage Jody to return the small fish that he caught back into the water?
(a) Because the fish had a small rash spreading over its scales.
(b) Because the small fish was poisonous.
(c) To teach him that you should never take more than what you need from nature.
(d) Because the small fish wasn't large enough to feed their family.
2. What does Jody give to Doc in exchange for healing his father?
(a) The baby fawn.
(b) His coonskin knapsack.
(c) His new hunting knife.
(d) The gun traded from the Forresters.
3. Penny and Jody come across what animals swinging in a sapling tree?
(c) Bear cubs.
4. What gift does Oliver bring back from his adventures for Jody?
(a) A small umbrella.
(b) A rusty mouth organ.
(c) A raccoon-skin knapsack.
(d) A hunting knife.
5. How does Jody express himself when he tells his father about his insights into nature?
(a) He finds that he is able to express himself eloquently.
(b) He finds that he cannot properly express himself.
(c) He finds that his father is not interested in what he has to say.
(d) He has no interest in telling his father what he thinks about nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals go missing from the Baxter farm after the fistfight?
2. What does Fodder Wing feed to his dogs?
3. What emotion does Jody admit to feeling when he kills an animal during a hunt?
4. Who is with Jody when he thinks he sees the helmeted Spaniard?
5. Which of the following does Jody do to Lem Forrester, attempting to protect Oliver during the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Julia injured by Old Slewfoot?
2. What does Jody realize when he visits Fodder Wing's collection of pets after Fodder Wing's death?
3. How do each of Jody's parents react to the fact that he has been rambling in the woods all morning rather than doing his chores?
4. How is Jody injured during the fight between Oliver Hutto and the Forrester men?
5. When Penny realizes that the hogs are missing, what does he do?
6. What reaction does Jody have when Old Slewfoot kills the Baxter family's pregnant sow?
7. After holding the buck skin, what realization does Jody make about his relationship with the animals on his family's land?
8. How did Fodder Wing earn his nickname, and what was the result of his accident?
9. What happens when Jody eats half-ripe berries from the woods?
10. How does Oliver react to hearing the news that Lem Forrester has claimed Twink as his sweetheart?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)