|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
(a) Ankle-deep water.
(b) Bent and broken trees.
(c) Dead animal carcasses.
(d) Picket fence posts from neighboring houses.
2. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
3. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
4. While searching the woods, what animal do the men discover has migrated north?
(a) The panthers.
(b) The squirrels.
(c) The bears.
(d) The deer.
5. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(b) He has rheumatism.
(c) He has caught the plague.
(d) He has a fever.
6. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(b) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
(c) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(d) Because they are Flag's tracks.
7. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(b) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
(c) He is growing to love the yearling.
(d) He is growing to resent the yearling.
8. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) A bear.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A panther.
(d) A wild dog.
9. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
(a) By boat.
(b) By wagon.
(c) By walking.
(d) By train.
10. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
(a) Playing skip-rope with the neighbors.
(b) Reading books in his bedroom.
(c) Hunting in the woods.
(d) Working hard around the farm.
11. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
(a) "I am a man."
(b) "I am a killer."
(c) "I am alone."
(d) "Flag's dead."
12. What is Buck Forrester's response to his brother's accusation of Penny Baxter?
(a) He believes his brother is telling the truth.
(b) He believes that Penny is telling the truth.
(c) He believes that both men are telling their own truths.
(d) He believes that both men are lying.
13. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him no joy.
(b) It brings him amusement.
(c) It brings him terror.
(d) It brings him comfort.
14. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
15. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To Chicago.
(b) To Boston.
(c) To New York.
(d) To Seattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
2. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
3. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
4. When the storm arrives, how many days does it last?
5. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)