|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
(a) In the coming spring.
(b) In the coming winter.
(c) In the coming fall.
(d) In the coming summer.
2. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) No species was spared.
(b) Ten species.
(c) Two species.
(d) Three species.
3. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
(a) Wild turkeys.
4. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
5. When Penny and Jody finally arrive at Grandma Hutto's home, which of the following adjectives best describes the conversation between Ma Baxter and Grandma Hutto?
6. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
(a) Hunting in the woods.
(b) Reading books in his bedroom.
(c) Working hard around the farm.
(d) Playing skip-rope with the neighbors.
7. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him terror.
(b) It brings him comfort.
(c) It brings him amusement.
(d) It brings him no joy.
8. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(b) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(c) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(d) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
9. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
(a) They burn down Grandma Hutto's home.
(b) They kidnap Grandma Hutto for ransom.
(c) They kill Oliver and Twink.
(d) They steal all the family's food supply for the winter.
10. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Doc Wilson.
(c) Oliver Hutto.
(d) Fodder Wing Forrester.
11. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(b) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(c) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(d) Ma bans Flag from the house.
12. Who is Nellie Ginright?
(a) A female scientist studying the behaviors of bears.
(b) Penny's old girlfriend.
(c) Ma Baxter's best friend.
(d) The town's school teacher.
13. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
(a) A collar for Flag.
(b) A rattling musical instrument.
(c) A bean-soup for his family.
(d) A necklace for his mother.
14. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
15. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
(a) Three dozen.
(d) One dozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
3. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
4. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
5. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)