|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
(a) About once a week.
(b) Every day.
(c) Very rarely.
2. What color is Twink's hair?
(b) Light brown.
3. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Plague.
(b) Black Death.
(c) Black Widow.
(d) Black Tongue.
4. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him no joy.
(b) It brings him comfort.
(c) It brings him amusement.
(d) It brings him terror.
5. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
6. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because Penny can't swim.
(b) Because Jody can't swim.
(c) Because their dog won't go in the water.
(d) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
7. When Penny and Jody finally arrive at Grandma Hutto's home, which of the following adjectives best describes the conversation between Ma Baxter and Grandma Hutto?
8. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Penny Baxter.
(b) Ma Baxter.
(c) Lem Forrester.
(d) Buck Forester.
9. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(b) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
(c) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(d) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
10. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
(a) Bear Heaven.
(b) The Fishing Hole.
(c) Mullet Prairie.
(d) Salt Water Paradise.
11. When the storm arrives, how many days does it last?
(a) Five days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
12. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) A wild dog.
(b) A panther.
(c) A bear.
(d) An alligator.
13. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) Through the polluted soil.
(b) In the air.
(c) In the swamp.
(d) Through their watering hole.
14. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
(a) Poison them.
(b) Shoot them.
(c) Trap them.
(d) Drown them.
15. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
2. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
3. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
4. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
5. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)