|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While searching the woods, what animal do the men discover has migrated north?
(a) The panthers.
(b) The squirrels.
(c) The bears.
(d) The deer.
2. What is the name of the Baxter family's horse?
3. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Seattle.
(c) To Boston.
(d) To Chicago.
4. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
(a) Hunting in the woods.
(b) Working hard around the farm.
(c) Playing skip-rope with the neighbors.
(d) Reading books in his bedroom.
5. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(b) Because the family is starving.
(c) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(d) So that they won't catch the plague.
6. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) So that the bears don't eat him.
(b) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
(c) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
(d) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
7. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) She misses him completely.
(d) In the leg.
8. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him amusement.
(b) It brings him no joy.
(c) It brings him comfort.
(d) It brings him terror.
9. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He caught the plague.
(b) He accidentally shot his own leg.
(c) He had a fever.
(d) He was bitten by the bear.
10. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(b) He has a fever.
(c) He has caught the plague.
(d) He has rheumatism.
11. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(b) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
(c) He is growing to resent the yearling.
(d) He is growing to love the yearling.
12. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
(c) Old Julia.
(d) Ma Baxter.
13. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
14. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
15. Which of the following best describes the meat that Old Slewfoot's body produced?
Short Answer Questions
1. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
2. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
3. What color is Twink's hair?
4. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
5. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)