|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
(a) To play cards.
(b) To sell the bear cubs.
(c) To start working a new farm.
(d) To trade horses.
2. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
(b) Wild turkeys.
3. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
(a) Because their fields are completely parched of water.
(b) Because he doesn't know what a hurricane is.
(c) Because he is angry at his father and wishes the crops to be ruined.
(d) Because he has fond memories of rain.
4. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
(a) A necklace for his mother.
(b) A rattling musical instrument.
(c) A bean-soup for his family.
(d) A collar for Flag.
5. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he still owes the doctor money.
(b) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
(c) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(d) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
6. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
7. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
(a) Filled with hope.
(b) Filled with hate.
(c) Filled with terror.
(d) Filled with awe.
8. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
(a) They burn down Grandma Hutto's home.
(b) They steal all the family's food supply for the winter.
(c) They kidnap Grandma Hutto for ransom.
(d) They kill Oliver and Twink.
9. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) Because the family is starving.
(b) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(c) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(d) So that they won't catch the plague.
10. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
11. Who is Nellie Ginright?
(a) Ma Baxter's best friend.
(b) The town's school teacher.
(c) A female scientist studying the behaviors of bears.
(d) Penny's old girlfriend.
12. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(b) He is growing to love the yearling.
(c) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
(d) He is growing to resent the yearling.
13. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
(b) One dozen.
(c) Three dozen.
14. How big is the alligator that Penny hunts down by the watering hole and plans to smoke for dog food?
(a) Fifteen feet long.
(b) Eight feet long.
(c) Three feet long.
(d) Twelve feet long.
15. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
(a) A moose.
(b) A buck.
(c) A bear.
(d) A wildcat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
2. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
3. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
4. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
5. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)