|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
(a) Bear Heaven.
(b) The Fishing Hole.
(c) Mullet Prairie.
(d) Salt Water Paradise.
2. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
3. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(b) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(c) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(d) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
4. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) An alligator.
(b) A bear.
(c) A wild dog.
(d) A panther.
5. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
(a) Because the cow fed its milk to its calf.
(b) Because the Forresters stole the Baxter family cow.
(c) Because the fawn drank the cow's milk.
(d) Because the cow died in the storm.
6. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
7. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
8. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
(a) That the corn will not take and will therefore be a loss.
(b) That another animal will eat the new crop, and Ma will accuse Flag.
(c) That Flag will eat the new crop.
(d) That the Forresters will come and steal the newly planted corn.
9. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
10. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
11. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
(a) Planting the fields.
(b) Churning milk into butter.
(c) Skinning the deer.
(d) Chopping wood.
12. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Playing with the family dogs.
(b) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
(c) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(d) Howling at the sun.
13. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Penny Baxter.
(b) Ma Baxter.
(c) Buck Forester.
(d) Lem Forrester.
14. When Jody is forced to pen Flag, what does he use to construct the cage?
(a) Old tree limbs.
(b) Old siding from the cabin.
(c) Old railroad tracks.
(d) Old fences.
15. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(d) Sweet potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
2. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
3. Who is Nellie Ginright?
4. What is Buck Forrester's response to his brother's accusation of Penny Baxter?
5. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)