|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
(a) They steal all the family's food supply for the winter.
(b) They burn down Grandma Hutto's home.
(c) They kidnap Grandma Hutto for ransom.
(d) They kill Oliver and Twink.
2. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
3. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
(a) In the head.
(b) She misses him completely.
(c) In the stomach.
(d) In the leg.
4. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
5. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
(b) Very rarely.
(c) Every day.
(d) About once a week.
6. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
(a) At Grandma Hutto house.
(b) At the Forrester house.
(c) On their own farm.
(d) At the church.
7. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
(a) A rattling musical instrument.
(b) A necklace for his mother.
(c) A collar for Flag.
(d) A bean-soup for his family.
8. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
9. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
10. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(b) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
(c) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(d) Because they are Flag's tracks.
11. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
(a) Poison them.
(b) Shoot them.
(c) Trap them.
(d) Drown them.
12. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
(a) Salt Water Paradise.
(b) The Fishing Hole.
(c) Mullet Prairie.
(d) Bear Heaven.
13. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
(b) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(c) Because they don't have any other food supply.
(d) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
14. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Tongue.
(b) Black Widow.
(c) Black Death.
(d) Black Plague.
15. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He had a fever.
(b) He caught the plague.
(c) He was bitten by the bear.
(d) He accidentally shot his own leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
2. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
3. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
4. When the storm arrives, how many days does it last?
5. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)