|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(b) More times that Jody can count.
(d) He never looks back.
2. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
3. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) No species was spared.
(b) Ten species.
(c) Two species.
(d) Three species.
4. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
5. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(b) So that they won't catch the plague.
(c) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(d) Because the family is starving.
6. Which of the following best describes the meat that Old Slewfoot's body produced?
7. What color is Twink's hair?
(d) Light brown.
8. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Twenty-one days.
(c) Thirty days.
(d) Six days.
9. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
(a) On their own farm.
(b) At the Forrester house.
(c) At Grandma Hutto house.
(d) At the church.
10. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
(a) Picket fence posts from neighboring houses.
(b) Ankle-deep water.
(c) Dead animal carcasses.
(d) Bent and broken trees.
11. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
(b) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
(c) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
(d) So that the bears don't eat him.
12. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He accidentally shot his own leg.
(b) He had a fever.
(c) He was bitten by the bear.
(d) He caught the plague.
13. How big is the alligator that Penny hunts down by the watering hole and plans to smoke for dog food?
(a) Fifteen feet long.
(b) Twelve feet long.
(c) Three feet long.
(d) Eight feet long.
14. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
(a) The age when a deer grows his horns.
(b) The age of a newborn deer before it is called a fawn.
(c) The in-between phase of maturity.
(d) The age of a deer right before it dies from old age.
15. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(b) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(c) Because he still owes the doctor money.
(d) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
2. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
3. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
4. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
5. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)