|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
(a) To a park where people feed deer.
(b) To a rich child who would want Flag as a pet.
(c) To a butcher shop.
(d) To a zoo.
2. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He was bitten by the bear.
(b) He had a fever.
(c) He caught the plague.
(d) He accidentally shot his own leg.
3. When the storm arrives, how many days does it last?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Five days.
4. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Howling at the sun.
(b) Playing with the family dogs.
(c) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(d) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
5. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
(d) Buck Forrester.
6. After Christmas, to what does Jody compare the members of the Hutto family?
(a) Characters in a fairy tale.
(b) Soldiers fighting a far away war.
(c) International spies.
(d) Baby birds that were taken too soon from their mother.
7. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
(a) A figurine.
(b) A knife.
(c) A bowl.
(d) A pipe.
8. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
(b) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(c) Because they don't have any other food supply.
(d) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
9. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
(a) Playing skip-rope with the neighbors.
(b) Reading books in his bedroom.
(c) Working hard around the farm.
(d) Hunting in the woods.
10. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(b) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(c) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
(d) Because they are Flag's tracks.
11. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
12. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Widow.
(b) Black Plague.
(c) Black Death.
(d) Black Tongue.
13. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
14. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Hide him from Ma.
(c) Release him into the wild.
(d) Shoot him.
15. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To Seattle.
(b) To Chicago.
(c) To New York.
(d) To Boston.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
2. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
3. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
4. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
5. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)