|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
(b) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(c) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
(d) The Forresters arrive to help them.
2. What color is Twink's hair?
(c) Light brown.
3. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To New York.
(b) To Chicago.
(c) To Seattle.
(d) To Boston.
4. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
(c) Wild turkeys.
5. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
6. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
(a) Deep in the woods.
(b) Out on the porch.
(c) In the horse stall.
(d) In Jody's bed.
7. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
8. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to love the yearling.
(b) He is growing to resent the yearling.
(c) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(d) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
9. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) No species was spared.
(b) Three species.
(c) Two species.
(d) Ten species.
10. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
(a) The Fishing Hole.
(b) Bear Heaven.
(c) Mullet Prairie.
(d) Salt Water Paradise.
11. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Mill Wheel Forrester.
(d) Buck Forrester.
12. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(b) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(c) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(d) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
13. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
(a) On their own farm.
(b) At the church.
(c) At the Forrester house.
(d) At Grandma Hutto house.
14. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
15. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
(a) A collar for Flag.
(b) A necklace for his mother.
(c) A rattling musical instrument.
(d) A bean-soup for his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
2. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
3. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
4. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
5. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)