|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
(a) At the Forrester house.
(b) At Grandma Hutto house.
(c) At the church.
(d) On their own farm.
2. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
(b) So that the bears don't eat him.
(c) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
(d) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
3. What does Jody make from the bright red Cherokee beans that he finds in the woods?
(a) A rattling musical instrument.
(b) A necklace for his mother.
(c) A collar for Flag.
(d) A bean-soup for his family.
4. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(c) He never looks back.
(d) More times that Jody can count.
5. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
6. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Release him into the wild.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Hide him from Ma.
(d) Sell him.
7. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
(a) About once a week.
(c) Every day.
(d) Very rarely.
8. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(b) Playing with the family dogs.
(c) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
(d) Howling at the sun.
9. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
10. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) Because the family is starving.
(b) So that they won't catch the plague.
(c) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(d) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
11. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Tongue.
(b) Black Plague.
(c) Black Widow.
(d) Black Death.
12. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to love the yearling.
(b) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(c) He is growing to resent the yearling.
(d) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
13. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(b) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
(c) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(d) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
14. When Jody is forced to pen Flag, what does he use to construct the cage?
(a) Old railroad tracks.
(b) Old siding from the cabin.
(c) Old fences.
(d) Old tree limbs.
15. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
(a) A bowl.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A figurine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
2. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
3. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
4. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
5. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)