|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Planting the fields.
(c) Churning milk into butter.
(d) Skinning the deer.
2. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
3. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because their dog won't go in the water.
(b) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
(c) Because Penny can't swim.
(d) Because Jody can't swim.
4. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Playing with the family dogs.
(b) Howling at the sun.
(c) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(d) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
5. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
6. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
(a) A knife.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A bowl.
(d) A figurine.
7. Who does Jody attempt to talk to on the way to Volusia, prompting him to deeply miss Fodder Wing?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) The horse wrangler.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The ferry boy.
8. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
(a) Out on the porch.
(b) In Jody's bed.
(c) Deep in the woods.
(d) In the horse stall.
9. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Mill Wheel Forrester.
(b) Buck Forrester.
(c) Lem Forrester.
(d) Penny Baxter.
10. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(d) Sweet potatoes.
11. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
(a) Buck Forrester.
12. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him comfort.
(b) It brings him no joy.
(c) It brings him terror.
(d) It brings him amusement.
13. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(b) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(c) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
(d) Because he still owes the doctor money.
14. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
15. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
2. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
3. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
4. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
5. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)