|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
(a) A wildcat.
(b) A moose.
(c) A buck.
(d) A bear.
2. At the end of the novel, what does Jody realize is the only thing that can bring him comfort?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His own death.
(d) His future.
3. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
4. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
(a) Mullet Prairie.
(b) Bear Heaven.
(c) The Fishing Hole.
(d) Salt Water Paradise.
5. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
6. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
(a) Drown them.
(b) Shoot them.
(c) Trap them.
(d) Poison them.
7. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because Jody can't swim.
(b) Because Penny can't swim.
(c) Because their dog won't go in the water.
(d) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
8. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(b) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
(c) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(d) Because they are Flag's tracks.
9. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
(b) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(c) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(d) Because he still owes the doctor money.
10. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
11. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
(a) "I am a man."
(b) "Flag's dead."
(c) "I am alone."
(d) "I am a killer."
12. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
(a) To a park where people feed deer.
(b) To a zoo.
(c) To a rich child who would want Flag as a pet.
(d) To a butcher shop.
13. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) In the air.
(b) In the swamp.
(c) Through the polluted soil.
(d) Through their watering hole.
14. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Bear cubs.
(b) Ten-point bucks.
(c) Albino raccoons.
(d) Flying squirrels.
15. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
(b) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(c) Because they don't have any other food supply.
(d) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
2. What is Buck Forrester's response to his brother's accusation of Penny Baxter?
3. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
4. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
5. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)