|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
(a) "I am a killer."
(b) "I am a man."
(c) "I am alone."
(d) "Flag's dead."
2. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(b) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(c) So that they won't catch the plague.
(d) Because the family is starving.
3. Who does Jody attempt to talk to on the way to Volusia, prompting him to deeply miss Fodder Wing?
(a) The horse wrangler.
(b) The ferry boy.
(c) The blacksmith.
(d) The gardener.
4. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) So that the bears don't eat him.
(b) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
(c) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
(d) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
5. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Albino raccoons.
(b) Bear cubs.
(c) Ten-point bucks.
(d) Flying squirrels.
6. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
(a) In the coming fall.
(b) In the coming winter.
(c) In the coming spring.
(d) In the coming summer.
7. What color is Twink's hair?
(c) Light brown.
8. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because Penny can't swim.
(b) Because Jody can't swim.
(c) Because their dog won't go in the water.
(d) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
9. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
10. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
(a) The corn.
(b) The beets.
(c) The sugar cane.
(d) The sweet potatoes.
11. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
12. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
(a) Poison them.
(b) Drown them.
(c) Shoot them.
(d) Trap them.
13. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
(b) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(c) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(d) Because they are Flag's tracks.
14. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
(a) A bowl.
(b) A pipe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A figurine.
15. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) A bear.
(b) An alligator.
(c) A panther.
(d) A wild dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
2. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
3. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
4. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
5. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)