|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(b) He never looks back.
(c) More times that Jody can count.
2. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Flying squirrels.
(b) Bear cubs.
(c) Ten-point bucks.
(d) Albino raccoons.
3. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him terror.
(b) It brings him amusement.
(c) It brings him no joy.
(d) It brings him comfort.
4. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
5. At the end of the novel, what does Jody realize is the only thing that can bring him comfort?
(a) His future.
(b) His mother.
(c) His own death.
(d) His father.
6. What is the name of the Baxter family's horse?
7. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Blooming lilac trees.
(b) Rising salt water.
(c) Rotting carcasses.
(d) Smoking meat.
8. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
9. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
(a) Wild turkeys.
10. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(b) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(c) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(d) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
11. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Fodder Wing Forrester.
(c) Oliver Hutto.
(d) Doc Wilson.
12. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
(b) Three dozen.
(d) One dozen.
13. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
(a) Poison them.
(b) Drown them.
(c) Shoot them.
(d) Trap them.
14. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(b) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
(c) The Forresters arrive to help them.
(d) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
15. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Hide him from Ma.
(b) Release him into the wild.
(c) Sell him.
(d) Shoot him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
2. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
3. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
4. How big is the alligator that Penny hunts down by the watering hole and plans to smoke for dog food?
5. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)