|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Ten-point bucks.
(b) Bear cubs.
(c) Flying squirrels.
(d) Albino raccoons.
2. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
(a) Doc Wilson.
(b) Fodder Wing Forrester.
(c) Oliver Hutto.
(d) Lem Forrester.
3. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(b) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(c) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(d) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
4. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(b) He has a fever.
(c) He has caught the plague.
(d) He has rheumatism.
5. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
(a) Eulalie Boyles.
(b) Grandma Hutto.
(c) Fodder Wing Forrester.
6. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
7. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
(a) Because the wolves are growing in numbers.
(b) Because the Forresters weren't able to build traps that could contain the wolves.
(c) Because the poisoning didn't kill all of the wolves.
(d) Because the wolves retaliated and killed one of the Forrester men.
8. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
(c) Buck Forrester.
9. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(d) Sweet potatoes.
10. Why does Penny explain that it was necessary to lie to Oliver Hutto?
(a) Because the Forresters would have lied to the judges.
(b) Because Oliver would never have believed the truth.
(c) Because the Forresters hadn't really done anything wrong.
(d) Because the Forresters would never be convicted of their crime.
11. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
(a) The in-between phase of maturity.
(b) The age of a deer right before it dies from old age.
(c) The age when a deer grows his horns.
(d) The age of a newborn deer before it is called a fawn.
12. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
(a) Very rarely.
(b) About once a week.
(c) Every day.
13. What does Jody whittle for his father's Christmas gift?
(a) A figurine.
(b) A bowl.
(c) A pipe.
(d) A knife.
14. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
(a) His shoulder.
(b) His groin.
(c) His neck.
(d) His back.
15. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Rotting carcasses.
(b) Smoking meat.
(c) Blooming lilac trees.
(d) Rising salt water.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
2. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
4. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
5. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)