|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has a fever.
(b) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(c) He has caught the plague.
(d) He has rheumatism.
2. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(c) Sweet potatoes.
3. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
(b) Old Julia.
(d) Ma Baxter.
4. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
(a) From Grandma Hutto's home.
(b) From Mr. Boyle's general store.
(c) From the Forrester's yard.
(d) From the scrub.
5. How big is the alligator that Penny hunts down by the watering hole and plans to smoke for dog food?
(a) Twelve feet long.
(b) Fifteen feet long.
(c) Eight feet long.
(d) Three feet long.
6. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
(a) In the head.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) She misses him completely.
(d) In the leg.
7. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
8. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) An alligator.
(b) A wild dog.
(c) A bear.
(d) A panther.
9. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
(a) By wagon.
(b) By train.
(c) By walking.
(d) By boat.
10. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
(a) That the corn will not take and will therefore be a loss.
(b) That another animal will eat the new crop, and Ma will accuse Flag.
(c) That the Forresters will come and steal the newly planted corn.
(d) That Flag will eat the new crop.
11. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Ma Baxter.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Lem Forrester.
(d) Buck Forester.
12. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) So that they won't catch the plague.
(b) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(c) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(d) Because the family is starving.
13. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Release him into the wild.
(d) Hide him from Ma.
14. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To Boston.
(b) To Seattle.
(c) To New York.
(d) To Chicago.
15. When Penny and Jody finally arrive at Grandma Hutto's home, which of the following adjectives best describes the conversation between Ma Baxter and Grandma Hutto?
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
2. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
3. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
4. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
5. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)