|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
(a) From the Forrester's yard.
(b) From Grandma Hutto's home.
(c) From the scrub.
(d) From Mr. Boyle's general store.
2. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(b) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
(c) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(d) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
3. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
(a) In the horse stall.
(b) In Jody's bed.
(c) Out on the porch.
(d) Deep in the woods.
4. What color is Twink's hair?
(b) Light brown.
5. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
(b) The Forresters arrive to help them.
(c) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(d) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
6. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Bears migrating to the south.
(b) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
(c) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
(d) Sea birds flying overhead.
7. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
8. During a fight, what does Ma Baxter state that Penny's heart is made of?
9. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
10. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Widow.
(b) Black Tongue.
(c) Black Death.
(d) Black Plague.
11. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
(a) Because the cow fed its milk to its calf.
(b) Because the fawn drank the cow's milk.
(c) Because the cow died in the storm.
(d) Because the Forresters stole the Baxter family cow.
12. In what month does the Baxter family experience their first frost of the year?
13. What part of his body does Penny strain while attempting to uproot a tree stump?
(a) His groin.
(b) His neck.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His back.
14. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
15. Why is Penny laid up in the month of February, unable to complete any chores around the farm?
(a) He has rheumatism.
(b) He has a shotgun injury to his leg.
(c) He has a fever.
(d) He has caught the plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
2. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
3. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
4. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
5. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)