|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Flying squirrels.
(b) Bear cubs.
(c) Albino raccoons.
(d) Ten-point bucks.
2. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Sell him.
(b) Shoot him.
(c) Release him into the wild.
(d) Hide him from Ma.
3. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
(a) The corn.
(b) The beets.
(c) The sweet potatoes.
(d) The sugar cane.
4. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
5. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
(a) To play cards.
(b) To trade horses.
(c) To start working a new farm.
(d) To sell the bear cubs.
6. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
(a) That another animal will eat the new crop, and Ma will accuse Flag.
(b) That the Forresters will come and steal the newly planted corn.
(c) That the corn will not take and will therefore be a loss.
(d) That Flag will eat the new crop.
7. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him amusement.
(b) It brings him comfort.
(c) It brings him terror.
(d) It brings him no joy.
8. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) In the swamp.
(b) Through their watering hole.
(c) In the air.
(d) Through the polluted soil.
9. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
10. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
11. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
(b) Ma Baxter.
(d) Old Julia.
12. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
(a) By train.
(b) By wagon.
(c) By walking.
(d) By boat.
13. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) So that they won't catch the plague.
(b) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(c) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(d) Because the family is starving.
14. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
15. What color is Twink's hair?
(d) Light brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
2. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
3. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
4. When Penny and Jody finally arrive at Grandma Hutto's home, which of the following adjectives best describes the conversation between Ma Baxter and Grandma Hutto?
5. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)