|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Ma Baxter.
(c) Buck Forester.
(d) Penny Baxter.
2. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
3. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
(a) Twenty-one days.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Thirty days.
(d) Six days.
4. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) In the swamp.
(b) Through their watering hole.
(c) In the air.
(d) Through the polluted soil.
5. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
(a) Because he believes that Penny stole from him.
(b) Because he believes that Penny lied to him.
(c) Because he believes that Penny is abusing his dog.
(d) Because he believes that Penny killed Fodder Wing.
6. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
7. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
(b) So that the bears don't eat him.
(c) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
(d) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
8. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Penny Baxter.
(b) Lem Forrester.
(c) Buck Forrester.
(d) Mill Wheel Forrester.
9. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
(b) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(c) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(d) Because he still owes the doctor money.
10. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He accidentally shot his own leg.
(b) He was bitten by the bear.
(c) He caught the plague.
(d) He had a fever.
11. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
(a) Bent and broken trees.
(b) Picket fence posts from neighboring houses.
(c) Ankle-deep water.
(d) Dead animal carcasses.
12. What strange item does Jody attempt to eat to fend off his starvation?
13. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him terror.
(b) It brings him no joy.
(c) It brings him amusement.
(d) It brings him comfort.
14. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
(a) "I am a man."
(b) "I am a killer."
(c) "Flag's dead."
(d) "I am alone."
15. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
(a) That the Forresters will come and steal the newly planted corn.
(b) That another animal will eat the new crop, and Ma will accuse Flag.
(c) That Flag will eat the new crop.
(d) That the corn will not take and will therefore be a loss.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Christmas, to what does Jody compare the members of the Hutto family?
2. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
3. Who is Nellie Ginright?
4. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
5. How big is the alligator that Penny hunts down by the watering hole and plans to smoke for dog food?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)