|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
(a) Because he is angry at his father and wishes the crops to be ruined.
(b) Because he doesn't know what a hurricane is.
(c) Because he has fond memories of rain.
(d) Because their fields are completely parched of water.
2. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Buck Forrester.
(d) Mill Wheel Forrester.
3. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
(b) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(c) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
(d) Because they don't have any other food supply.
4. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
(b) The Forresters arrive to help them.
(c) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(d) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
5. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
(a) Through their watering hole.
(b) In the swamp.
(c) In the air.
(d) Through the polluted soil.
6. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
(b) Ma Baxter.
(c) Old Julia.
7. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
8. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Rotting carcasses.
(b) Blooming lilac trees.
(c) Rising salt water.
(d) Smoking meat.
9. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
(a) The age of a deer right before it dies from old age.
(b) The in-between phase of maturity.
(c) The age when a deer grows his horns.
(d) The age of a newborn deer before it is called a fawn.
10. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Flying squirrels.
(b) Ten-point bucks.
(c) Albino raccoons.
(d) Bear cubs.
11. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(b) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(c) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(d) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
12. Why was Penny forced into bed for three days following the return of Old Slewfoot?
(a) He was bitten by the bear.
(b) He had a fever.
(c) He caught the plague.
(d) He accidentally shot his own leg.
13. After Christmas, to what does Jody compare the members of the Hutto family?
(a) International spies.
(b) Baby birds that were taken too soon from their mother.
(c) Characters in a fairy tale.
(d) Soldiers fighting a far away war.
14. After Flag breaks into the crops again, what does Penny ask Jody to do with the yearling?
(a) Release him into the wild.
(b) Sell him.
(c) Shoot him.
(d) Hide him from Ma.
15. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Churning milk into butter.
(c) Skinning the deer.
(d) Planting the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
2. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
3. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
4. While searching the woods, what animal do the men discover has migrated north?
5. What is Buck Forrester's response to his brother's accusation of Penny Baxter?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)