|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
(b) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(c) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(d) Ma bans Flag from the house.
2. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
3. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
(b) Sweet potatoes.
4. What is the name of the plague that is sweeping through the woods?
(a) Black Tongue.
(b) Black Plague.
(c) Black Widow.
(d) Black Death.
5. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
(a) Out on the porch.
(b) In Jody's bed.
(c) In the horse stall.
(d) Deep in the woods.
6. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
(a) To a rich child who would want Flag as a pet.
(b) To a butcher shop.
(c) To a park where people feed deer.
(d) To a zoo.
7. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
(a) Ma swears that she saw Flag with an ear of corn in his mouth.
(b) He sees Flag eating the crop.
(c) He recognizes Flag's tracks in the dirt.
(d) He smells the corn on Flag's breath.
8. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
9. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
(a) He is growing to resent the yearling.
(b) He is growing to fear the yearling.
(c) He is growing apathetic toward the yearling.
(d) He is growing to love the yearling.
10. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Sea birds flying overhead.
(b) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
(c) Bears migrating to the south.
(d) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
11. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
(a) The corn.
(b) The beets.
(c) The sugar cane.
(d) The sweet potatoes.
12. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
(a) The age of a newborn deer before it is called a fawn.
(b) The age when a deer grows his horns.
(c) The age of a deer right before it dies from old age.
(d) The in-between phase of maturity.
13. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) Two species.
(b) No species was spared.
(c) Three species.
(d) Ten species.
14. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
(a) Twenty-one days.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Six days.
(d) Twelve days.
15. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To Boston.
(b) To Seattle.
(c) To Chicago.
(d) To New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Penny believe the plague was spread?
2. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
3. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
4. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
5. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)