|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(c) More times that Jody can count.
(d) He never looks back.
2. What animal comes sniffing around the camp where the men sleep, enticed by the smell of cooking meat?
(a) A wild dog.
(b) A bear.
(c) An alligator.
(d) A panther.
3. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
(b) Buck Forrester.
4. After Christmas, what is Jody's main winter chore?
(a) Churning milk into butter.
(b) Planting the fields.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Skinning the deer.
5. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he still owes the doctor money.
(b) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(c) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(d) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
6. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
(a) Filled with hate.
(b) Filled with awe.
(c) Filled with hope.
(d) Filled with terror.
7. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
(a) Buck Forester.
(b) Lem Forrester.
(c) Ma Baxter.
(d) Penny Baxter.
8. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
9. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
(a) Because the fawn drank the cow's milk.
(b) Because the Forresters stole the Baxter family cow.
(c) Because the cow fed its milk to its calf.
(d) Because the cow died in the storm.
10. What crop of the Baxter family is described as "rotting in the ground"?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
11. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
(a) To a rich child who would want Flag as a pet.
(b) To a butcher shop.
(c) To a park where people feed deer.
(d) To a zoo.
12. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
(a) Because he believes that Penny is abusing his dog.
(b) Because he believes that Penny lied to him.
(c) Because he believes that Penny killed Fodder Wing.
(d) Because he believes that Penny stole from him.
13. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
(a) In the coming winter.
(b) In the coming summer.
(c) In the coming fall.
(d) In the coming spring.
14. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
(b) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
(c) So that the bears don't eat him.
(d) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
15. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) Ten species.
(b) Two species.
(c) Three species.
(d) No species was spared.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Forrester men suggest they get rid of the invading wolves?
2. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
3. As Flag matures, how does Penny feel about him?
4. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
5. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)