|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
(a) In the leg.
(b) In the head.
(c) She misses him completely.
(d) In the stomach.
2. How does Jody know that Flag has been eating the family's corn crop?
(a) He sees Flag eating the crop.
(b) He smells the corn on Flag's breath.
(c) He recognizes Flag's tracks in the dirt.
(d) Ma swears that she saw Flag with an ear of corn in his mouth.
3. After their second calf is killed by Old Slewfoot, which of the following best describes the atmosphere as Penny and Jody hunt the bear?
(a) Filled with hate.
(b) Filled with hope.
(c) Filled with terror.
(d) Filled with awe.
4. During what month of the year does Penny begin all his planting for the upcoming harvest?
5. After the run-in with the Forresters at the Christmas party, where does Grandma Hutto decide to move?
(a) To Chicago.
(b) To New York.
(c) To Boston.
(d) To Seattle.
6. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(a) More times that Jody can count.
(b) He never looks back.
7. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
(a) At Grandma Hutto house.
(b) At the Forrester house.
(c) On their own farm.
(d) At the church.
8. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
(a) They steal all the family's food supply for the winter.
(b) They burn down Grandma Hutto's home.
(c) They kill Oliver and Twink.
(d) They kidnap Grandma Hutto for ransom.
9. What happens after Flag goes wandering through the house at night and nuzzles Ma while she is sleeping?
(a) Ma demands that Penny shoot Flag.
(b) Ma's feelings toward Flag change and she welcomes him into the family.
(c) Ma bans Flag from the house.
(d) Ma demands that Jody set Flag free in the woods.
10. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Rising salt water.
(b) Blooming lilac trees.
(c) Smoking meat.
(d) Rotting carcasses.
11. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
(a) Wild turkeys.
12. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
(a) Because the wolves retaliated and killed one of the Forrester men.
(b) Because the wolves are growing in numbers.
(c) Because the poisoning didn't kill all of the wolves.
(d) Because the Forresters weren't able to build traps that could contain the wolves.
13. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(b) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
(c) Because they are Flag's tracks.
(d) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
14. What crop does Penny spend much time planning to plant in early March?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
15. In September, why must Jody always keep the fawn near?
(a) Because the Forresters have threatened to steal it.
(b) Because the fawn is getting too big for the barn.
(c) So that the bears don't eat him.
(d) So that he won't be in Ma Baxter's way.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take Jody to build the fence?
2. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
3. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
4. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
5. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)