|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Playing with the family dogs.
(b) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(c) Howling at the sun.
(d) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
2. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
(d) Buck Forrester.
3. When does Penny assume that Flag will grow his horns?
(a) In the coming spring.
(b) In the coming fall.
(c) In the coming summer.
(d) In the coming winter.
4. What is Jody afraid of when he sees that the corn he planted is beginning to germinate?
(a) That Flag will eat the new crop.
(b) That the Forresters will come and steal the newly planted corn.
(c) That another animal will eat the new crop, and Ma will accuse Flag.
(d) That the corn will not take and will therefore be a loss.
5. Why does Jody wish for a hurricane?
(a) Because he has fond memories of rain.
(b) Because he doesn't know what a hurricane is.
(c) Because their fields are completely parched of water.
(d) Because he is angry at his father and wishes the crops to be ruined.
6. Where does Jody hope to sell Flag to keep him away from his father's gun?
(a) To a butcher shop.
(b) To a zoo.
(c) To a rich child who would want Flag as a pet.
(d) To a park where people feed deer.
7. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Albino raccoons.
(b) Bear cubs.
(c) Flying squirrels.
(d) Ten-point bucks.
8. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) So that the bears cannot eat them.
(b) So that they won't catch the plague.
(c) Because the family is starving.
(d) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
9. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(a) He never looks back.
(b) More times that Jody can count.
10. Who is the only member of the Baxter family to kill one of the invading wolves?
(a) Old Julia.
(b) Ma Baxter.
11. Why doesn't Old Julia follow the yearling tracks that Penny finds in the woods?
(a) Because the Baxters are no longer hunting deer.
(b) Because she can smell bears in the distance.
(c) Because they are Flag's tracks.
(d) Because she is getting too old to hunt.
12. When Penny and Jody finally arrive at Grandma Hutto's home, which of the following adjectives best describes the conversation between Ma Baxter and Grandma Hutto?
13. How many species of animals were the Baxters able to find that had been spared from the plague?
(a) No species was spared.
(b) Ten species.
(c) Three species.
(d) Two species.
14. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
(a) Because the wolves retaliated and killed one of the Forrester men.
(b) Because the Forresters weren't able to build traps that could contain the wolves.
(c) Because the poisoning didn't kill all of the wolves.
(d) Because the wolves are growing in numbers.
15. Who does Jody attempt to talk to on the way to Volusia, prompting him to deeply miss Fodder Wing?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The ferry boy.
(c) The horse wrangler.
(d) The blacksmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
2. Before Jody plans to leave, what statement does he repeat over and over to himself?
3. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
4. Which character leaves a note posted to his door stating that he has migrated to the ocean and plans to stay drunk for the duration of the storm?
5. After the storm, why does the Baxter family suddenly have less milk than usual?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)