|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
2. Which of the following best describes the meat that Old Slewfoot's body produced?
3. In early October, what smell has begun to permeate the Baxter farm?
(a) Rising salt water.
(b) Rotting carcasses.
(c) Smoking meat.
(d) Blooming lilac trees.
4. How many times does Jody look back to see Flag's dead body?
(a) He never looks back.
(d) More times that Jody can count.
5. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Buck Forrester.
(c) Penny Baxter.
(d) Mill Wheel Forrester.
6. What is the name of the area where the Baxter men find the bears hunting salt water mullet?
(a) The Fishing Hole.
(b) Mullet Prairie.
(c) Bear Heaven.
(d) Salt Water Paradise.
7. Why does Lem Forrester throw Penny against the wall?
(a) Because he believes that Penny stole from him.
(b) Because he believes that Penny is abusing his dog.
(c) Because he believes that Penny killed Fodder Wing.
(d) Because he believes that Penny lied to him.
8. After Penny injures himself uprooting the tree stump, why won't he call for Doc Wilson?
(a) Because he no longer trusts the doctor's judgment.
(b) Because he will have to pass through the Forrester property to get there.
(c) Because he knows the doctor is away on business.
(d) Because he still owes the doctor money.
9. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
(a) Because the wolves are growing in numbers.
(b) Because the poisoning didn't kill all of the wolves.
(c) Because the Forresters weren't able to build traps that could contain the wolves.
(d) Because the wolves retaliated and killed one of the Forrester men.
10. What interesting thing does Penny witness a maimed wolf doing on his property?
(a) Hunting for sweet potatoes in the field.
(b) Climbing the fence to get to the chickens.
(c) Playing with the family dogs.
(d) Howling at the sun.
11. What name does Ma use to refer to Twink?
12. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
13. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
(a) She misses him completely.
(b) In the stomach.
(c) In the head.
(d) In the leg.
14. What type of animal do the Baxter men witness dying when they return for their cured swamp grass?
(a) A moose.
(b) A buck.
(c) A bear.
(d) A wildcat.
15. Why have the Forrester brothers traveled to Kentucky at the time Flag reaches his fate?
(a) To trade horses.
(b) To sell the bear cubs.
(c) To start working a new farm.
(d) To play cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
2. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
3. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
4. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
5. With his father laid up in bed, how does Jody pass the month of February?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)