|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
(a) Eulalie Boyles.
(b) Grandma Hutto.
(d) Fodder Wing Forrester.
2. What do the Forresters do to the Huttos in retaliation for Oliver's wedding to Twink?
(a) They burn down Grandma Hutto's home.
(b) They kill Oliver and Twink.
(c) They steal all the family's food supply for the winter.
(d) They kidnap Grandma Hutto for ransom.
3. Who is Nellie Ginright?
(a) Penny's old girlfriend.
(b) The town's school teacher.
(c) A female scientist studying the behaviors of bears.
(d) Ma Baxter's best friend.
4. What, does Penny explain, is the stage a deer goes through called "yearling"?
(a) The age when a deer grows his horns.
(b) The in-between phase of maturity.
(c) The age of a deer right before it dies from old age.
(d) The age of a newborn deer before it is called a fawn.
5. What animal movement signals to Penny that bad weather might be coming?
(a) Squirrels nesting with more moss.
(b) Sea birds flying overhead.
(c) Snails trailing longer trails of slime.
(d) Bears migrating to the south.
6. When Ma attempts to shoot Flag, where does she hit him?
(a) In the stomach.
(b) She misses him completely.
(c) In the head.
(d) In the leg.
7. In a rare moment of affection, what does Jody say to his mother before he leaves to hunt with the Forrester men?
(a) That he thinks she has the most beautiful singing voice.
(b) That he thinks she is a wonderful mother.
(c) That he thinks she is the most beautiful mother.
(d) That he thinks she is a very honest woman.
8. Why don't Penny and Jody follow Old Slewfoot when they see him crossing the river?
(a) Because their dog won't go in the water.
(b) Because the water is too cold for them to survive the crossing.
(c) Because Penny can't swim.
(d) Because Jody can't swim.
9. How big is the alligator that Penny hunts down by the watering hole and plans to smoke for dog food?
(a) Fifteen feet long.
(b) Twelve feet long.
(c) Three feet long.
(d) Eight feet long.
10. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as covering the ground in the woods?
(a) Picket fence posts from neighboring houses.
(b) Dead animal carcasses.
(c) Ankle-deep water.
(d) Bent and broken trees.
11. Who shoots the final shot that kills Flag?
(b) Buck Forrester.
12. After Christmas, how often do the Forrester brothers ride past the Baxter farm.
(b) About once a week.
(c) Every day.
(d) Very rarely.
13. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Flying squirrels.
(b) Albino raccoons.
(c) Ten-point bucks.
(d) Bear cubs.
14. What animal has been spit up from the river and now covers the ground in the woods?
15. Where is Jody meant to get the supplies for the fence around the corn crop?
(a) From the Forrester's yard.
(b) From Grandma Hutto's home.
(c) From the scrub.
(d) From Mr. Boyle's general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their planting for the upcoming harvest, what seed is Jody assigned to replant, a task that he takes his time with?
2. What bird does Penny notice has survived the plague?
3. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
4. When Jody and Flag return home after searching for help in Flag's fate, where do the pair spend the night?
5. As the family makes their way back home after the Christmas celebrations, what emotion best describes the way that Jody feels upon seeing his home again?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)