|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In September, why do the bears begin killing the palmettos?
(a) Because the palmettos are encroaching on bear territory.
(b) Because the Baxter family is using the palmettos as bait.
(c) Because they don't have any other food supply.
(d) Because the palmettos are the most delicious food for a bear.
2. What is Buck Forrester's response to his brother's accusation of Penny Baxter?
(a) He believes his brother is telling the truth.
(b) He believes that Penny is telling the truth.
(c) He believes that both men are telling their own truths.
(d) He believes that both men are lying.
3. Why does the Baxter family decide to slaughter their pigs before they are fattened?
(a) Because the family is starving.
(b) Because they can no longer afford the pigs' feed.
(c) So that they won't catch the plague.
(d) So that the bears cannot eat them.
4. How do the Baxters carry the body of Old Slewfoot back to their home?
(a) They float him on a boat lent from Nellie Ginright.
(b) They carry his body over their shoulders.
(c) They only carry his body as far as Fort Gates.
(d) The Forresters arrive to help them.
5. How does Jody respond to the second flutter mill that he builds?
(a) It brings him terror.
(b) It brings him comfort.
(c) It brings him no joy.
(d) It brings him amusement.
6. Which of the following characters does NOT enter the woods to search for damages from the storm?
(a) Buck Forrester.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Mill Wheel Forrester.
(d) Lem Forrester.
7. Which of the following adjectives does Penny use to describe Jody's hunting skills down by the watering hole?
8. Who does Jody plan to enlist as a partner to save Flag from his fate?
(a) Oliver Hutto.
(b) Buck Forrester.
(c) Ma Baxter.
(d) Grandma Hutto.
9. Where does the Baxter family plan to spend their Christmas holidays?
(a) At Grandma Hutto house.
(b) On their own farm.
(c) At the Forrester house.
(d) At the church.
10. How does Jody plan to get to Boston?
(a) By boat.
(b) By train.
(c) By walking.
(d) By wagon.
11. What color is Twink's hair?
(d) Light brown.
12. What animal do the Baxter and Forrester men trap and plan to sell on the coast for a hefty profit?
(a) Bear cubs.
(b) Flying squirrels.
(c) Ten-point bucks.
(d) Albino raccoons.
13. As Flag ages, what crop does he trample on the Baxter farm, meaning that there will be no cash for that crop this year?
14. What does Ma call the Forrester boys after the lie to Oliver Hutto?
15. Who gives Jody a round box for his gunpowder for Christmas?
(a) Fodder Wing Forrester.
(c) Grandma Hutto.
(d) Eulalie Boyles.
Short Answer Questions
1. While searching the woods, what animal do the men discover has migrated north?
2. Why are the Baxter men called to hunt with the Forresters after they initially declined?
3. What scarce food source does Flag begin to steal and eat from the family?
4. Which character says, "It grieves me..." to see that Jody is growing up so fast?
5. How many wolves invade the Baxter family farm?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)