|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Old Slewfoot's body is offered to Buck Forrester to take home to his ailing family member?
(a) The heart.
(b) The hide.
(c) The stomach.
(d) The liver.
2. From which character did Penny earn the nickname "Leetle ol' Penny Baxter"?
(a) Ora Baxter.
(b) Lem Forrester.
(c) Oliver Hutto.
(d) Buck Forrester.
3. After the encounter with the Spaniard, what type of animal does Jody watch feeding its young?
(a) A bear.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A fox.
4. What animals go missing from the Baxter farm after the fistfight?
(a) The chickens.
(b) The cows.
(c) The horses.
(d) The hogs.
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes the lunchtime meal that Jody and his father eat at the Forrester home?
6. What overwhelming feeling does Jody feel when he is cleaning out the sinkhole?
7. What unusual animal does the Baxter family have drying in their smoke house?
8. Why does Penny encourage Jody to return the small fish that he caught back into the water?
(a) Because the fish had a small rash spreading over its scales.
(b) Because the small fish wasn't large enough to feed their family.
(c) To teach him that you should never take more than what you need from nature.
(d) Because the small fish was poisonous.
9. From whom does Penny borrow a mare to travel home?
(a) Twink Weatherby.
(b) Mr. Boyle.
(c) Lem Forrester.
(d) Grandma Hutto.
10. How many sons do the Forresters have?
11. What gift does Oliver bring back from his adventures for Jody?
(a) A hunting knife.
(b) A rusty mouth organ.
(c) A small umbrella.
(d) A raccoon-skin knapsack.
12. Penny and Jody see a type of "dancing" bird while they are out fishing. What type of bird is it?
13. How are Penny and Jody greeted by the Forrester family?
(a) With animosity.
(b) With terror.
(c) With open arms.
(d) With suspicion.
14. What vegetable is Jody hoeing on the day that he wants to visit Fodder Wing with his new fawn?
(a) Sweet potatoes.
15. When the Baxter hogs were returned, what was included as a supposed peace offering?
(a) An extra sow.
(b) A mule.
(c) A gaggle of geese.
(d) A blue ribbon calf.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his father's attack, what chore does Jody complete on his own for the first time in his life?
2. What alcoholic beverage do all but Jody drink at the Forrester home?
3. What reason does Buck Forrester give for wishing to go back to his own home?
4. What does Jody give to Doc in exchange for healing his father?
5. At what time must Jody finish all of his chores before he is allowed to visit Fodder Wing?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)