|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Old Slewfoot's body is offered to Buck Forrester to take home to his ailing family member?
(a) The heart.
(b) The stomach.
(c) The hide.
(d) The liver.
2. From whom does Penny borrow a mare to travel home?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Mr. Boyle.
(c) Twink Weatherby.
(d) Grandma Hutto.
3. Why doesn't the Baxter family own a well?
(a) Because they can't afford the labor to dig one.
(b) Because Ma thinks that wells are unclean.
(c) Because wells haven't been invented yet.
(d) Because they didn't like the taste of well water.
4. How are Penny and Jody greeted by the Forrester family?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) With animosity.
(c) With terror.
(d) With open arms.
5. What does Penny allow Jody to make from the rare albino pelt?
(a) A hat.
(b) A knapsack.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A shirt.
6. Which character says that they would like a chance to "whup that bear"?
(a) Lem Forrester.
(b) Penny Baxter.
(c) Ma Baxter.
(d) Jody Baxter.
7. While walking through the woods, what animal does Penny note is stuck in the same place of life as he is?
8. What alcoholic beverage do all but Jody drink at the Forrester home?
(b) Malt beer.
(c) Grape wine.
(d) Black whiskey.
9. After his father's attack, what relationship does Jody have with the animal that attacked him?
(a) He is forever terrified of the animal that attacked his father.
(b) He dreams about the animal that attacked his father.
(c) He kills the animal that attacked his father.
(d) He swears to avenge his father's attack.
10. As Penny and Jody are traveling to the Forrester home, which stories does Penny tell his son?
(a) Stories of the Spanish explorers.
(b) Stories of the Greek Gods.
(c) Stories of the Russian Barbarians.
(d) Stories of the Roman Emperors.
11. When Jody leaves to visit Fodder Wing, he is warned that what animal is in its mating season?
12. How does Jody react when he first sees the Spaniard in the trees?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is apathetic.
13. How many babies did Penny Baxter and his wife bury before Jody was born?
14. How many times does Penny's gun misfire, missing the bear that he is hunting?
15. What does Jody give to Doc in exchange for healing his father?
(a) His new hunting knife.
(b) The baby fawn.
(c) The gun traded from the Forresters.
(d) His coonskin knapsack.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody realizes that a bear or raccoon may not be a good option for a pet, what does he ask his mother for instead?
2. Which of the following words might Jody use to describe his day in the woods in the opening chapter?
3. Buck considers what animals to be vandals in the cornfield?
4. Which of the following is NOT used as a description of Oliver Hutto?
5. Who is injured during the first hunt of Old Slewfoot?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)