Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
* The story opens on a cool spring morning when Jody, the male protagonist of the story, is sent to hoe the fields of his family farm.
* Jody wishes desperately that he could have a pet that would lick his face and follow him loyally.
* Suddenly, he remembers how he has always wanted to build a flutter-mill from palm fronds as he has seen his cousin Oliver do.
* Jody cuts the palm fronds with his knife and sinks his creation into the sandy creek. The water catches the fronds and begins to spin them, nearly hypnotizing Jody. As he watches the mill turn, he falls asleep on the shore.
* When Jody awakens he begins to run home, feeling slightly guilty at having left his mother home alone with the chores.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
* Jody notes his straw-colored hair, small build, and blue eyes. While he is inspecting his...
This section contains 6,340 words
(approx. 22 pages at 300 words per page)