|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dinner in the Black Market", why did the husband's praise the visitor?
2. What does Zahra think of her sister?
3. Where does Zahra try and find work in Chapter 5?
4. How much does Zahra's wool spinning business make her?
5. What is the acquaintance's reaction to the state official's offer in "The Discontented"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
2. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
3. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
4. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
5. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
6. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
7. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
8. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
9. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
10. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)