|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does the visitor hold in "Dinner in the Black Market"?
2. Who does the state official meet in "The Discontented"?
3. Who was to blame for the one sister's divorce?
4. What is lodged in a character's nose in "A Vacation"?
5. How does the visitor think she can help the employee in "Dinner in the Black Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
2. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
3. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
4. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
5. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
6. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
7. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
8. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
9. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
10. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)