|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Roukia unlock the door for on a nightly basis?
2. What does the oldest girl want to build by the stream?
3. How does the sister in "Silence" ask for God's forgiveness?
4. Who does Roukia scare away from her home one night?
5. What do the girls in "A House in the Woods" carry their building materials in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
2. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
3. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
4. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
5. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
6. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
7. How does visitor attempt to help employee in "Dinner in the Black Market:"?
8. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
9. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
10. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)