|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building materials do the girls use in "A House in the Woods"?
2. Why did Aziz's parents fight?
3. Who is Aziz set to meet?
4. What does the woman in "Out of Work" see young people wearing?
5. What is the visitor's home like in "Dinner in the Black Market"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
2. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
3. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
4. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
5. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
6. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
7. What role does religion play in Aziz's life?
8. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
9. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
10. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)