|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Aziz's mom send to him?
2. How are the girls in "A House in the Woods" related?
3. What building materials do the girls use in "A House in the Woods"?
4. In "Dinner in the Black Market", why did the husband's praise the visitor?
5. Who does Roukia scare away from her home one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
2. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
3. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
4. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
5. Describe the main character in "Divorce".
6. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
7. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
8. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
9. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
10. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)