|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the visitor's personality in "Dinner in the Black Market" like?
2. What happens when Zahra confronts her husband about his affair?
3. What does the state official believe is the reason for his acquaintance's living conditions?
4. What does Zahra think of her sister?
5. What is the setting of "A House in the Woods"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
2. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
3. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
4. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
5. Describe the main character in "Divorce".
6. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
7. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
8. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
9. What role does religion play in Aziz's life?
10. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)