|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the visitor and employee know each other?
2. How does Zahra treat her servants?
3. How does Zahra feel at the start of Chapter 5?
4. What do the girls in "A House in the Woods" carry their building materials in?
5. Who abandoned the man in "Divorce" when he was a child?
Essay Topic 1
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 3
How does Abu Zayd address the theme of independence in his "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples of examples of this theme and explain how these examples contribute to the message of the story.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)