|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the man in "Divorce" marry?
2. In Chapter 5, where does Zahra decide to move to?
3. What does the woman in "Out of Work" see young people wearing?
4. What does the state official offer his acquaintance?
5. Who visits the man in "Divorce"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
2. How does visitor attempt to help employee in "Dinner in the Black Market:"?
3. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
4. What trick do the girls in "House in the Woods" play on the old man?
5. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
6. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
7. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
8. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
9. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
10. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Zahra's faqih (note the spelling of faqih) and what role does he play in her life choices ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term conflict. How does conflict appear in literature? Choose two stories in Abu Zayd's collection and explain the conflict or conflicts in each story.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)