|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aziz's temperament like at the start of "The Stranger"?
2. What job does Aziz hope to obtain?
3. Why does the man in "Divorce" leave his wife?
4. Which sister became grumpy during fasting?
5. What does Roukia's mother send her to the field to collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
2. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
3. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
4. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
5. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
6. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
7. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
8. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
9. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
10. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples and explain religion plays a role in the story "Year of the Elephant".
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)