|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Out of Work", how did her community change?
2. What is lodged in a character's nose in "A Vacation"?
3. What month is "A Vacation" set in?
4. What does the state official believe is the reason for his acquaintance's living conditions?
5. How does the sister in "Silence" ask for God's forgiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
2. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
3. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
4. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
5. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
6. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
7. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
8. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
9. What role does religion play in Aziz's life?
10. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
Essay Topic 2
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)