|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man in "Divorce" leave his wife?
2. Why do people warn Zahra about moving?
3. What does the state official offer his acquaintance?
4. How did the two sisters in "Silence" differ?
5. How do the girls decorate their construction in "A House in the Woods"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
2. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
3. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
4. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
5. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
6. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
7. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
8. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
9. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
10. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)