|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lodged in a character's nose in "A Vacation"?
2. What is the visitor's home like in "Dinner in the Black Market"?
3. What is Aziz's temperament like at the start of "The Stranger"?
4. Where does Roukia get locked in?
5. When must the sisters fast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
2. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
3. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
4. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
5. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
6. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
7. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
8. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
9. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
10. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zahra meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influence her life, and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)