|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the man in "Divorce" on his way home from work?
2. What buildings replace the old homes?
3. Where does Zahra try and find work in Chapter 5?
4. What does the old man in "A House in the Woods" do while the girls build?
5. What is the visitor's real profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
2. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
3. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
4. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
5. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
6. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
7. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
8. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
9. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
10. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 2
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples and explain religion plays a role in the story "Year of the Elephant".
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)