|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which sister took comfort in fasting?
2. In "Dinner in the Black Market", why did the husband's praise the visitor?
3. Who questions Zahra's choice to move in Chapter 5?
4. What does the woman in "Out of Work" do now that she is unemployed?
5. What does Roukia's mother send her to the field to collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
2. Describe the main character in "Divorce".
3. What trick do the girls in "House in the Woods" play on the old man?
4. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
5. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
6. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
7. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
8. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
9. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
10. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 2
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)