|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is lodged in a character's nose in "A Vacation"?
2. What message does Aziz's mom send to him?
3. Why did Aziz's parents fight?
4. What does the old man in "A House in the Woods" do while the girls build?
5. What happens when Zahra confronts her husband about his affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
2. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
3. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
4. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
5. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
6. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
7. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
8. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
9. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
10. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Zahra's faqih (note the spelling of faqih) and what role does he play in her life choices ?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)