|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the deterioration of Zahra's marriage?
2. Where is Aziz's childhood home?
3. What did the husband's discover in "Dinner in the Black Market" was missing ?
4. What does the acquaintance in "The Discontented" claim he knows nothing about?
5. When must the sisters fast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trick do the girls in "House in the Woods" play on the old man?
2. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
3. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
4. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
5. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
6. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
7. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
8. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
9. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
10. How does visitor attempt to help employee in "Dinner in the Black Market:"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)