|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "Dinner in the Black Market", what is the employee looking for?
2. When must the sisters fast?
3. Who does Roukia scare away from her home one night?
4. Why does the state official's acquaintance believe his life is the way it is?
5. What does Zahra think of her sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
2. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
3. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
4. What trick do the girls in "House in the Woods" play on the old man?
5. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
6. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
7. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
8. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
9. How does visitor attempt to help employee in "Dinner in the Black Market:"?
10. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Abu Zayd address the theme of independence in his "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples of examples of this theme and explain how these examples contribute to the message of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)