|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dinner in the Black Market", why did the husband's praise the visitor?
2. What mode of transportation does the man in "Divorce" use?
3. What does the old man in "A House in the Woods" give the girls to eat?
4. Who was to blame for the one sister's divorce?
5. How do the girls decorate their construction in "A House in the Woods"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
2. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
3. How does visitor attempt to help employee in "Dinner in the Black Market:"?
4. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
5. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
6. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
7. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
8. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
9. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
10. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples and explain religion plays a role in the story "Year of the Elephant".
Essay Topic 2
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
Essay Topic 3
How does Abu Zayd address the theme of independence in his "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples of examples of this theme and explain how these examples contribute to the message of the story.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)