|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aziz's temperament like at the start of "The Stranger"?
2. What did the husband's discover in "Dinner in the Black Market" was missing ?
3. What was the life of the person the state official met with like?
4. What does the state official believe is the reason for his acquaintance's living conditions?
5. What month is "A Vacation" set in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 2
How does Abu Zayd address the theme of independence in his "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples of examples of this theme and explain how these examples contribute to the message of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Zahra meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influence her life, and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)