|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the life of the person the state official met with like?
2. What job does Zahra take at the end of Chapter 5?
3. How does Zahra feel at the start of Chapter 5?
4. What does the woman learn at the end of "Out of Work"?
5. What does the old man in "A House in the Woods" lend the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
2. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
3. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
4. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
5. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
6. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
7. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
8. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
9. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
10. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)