|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's behavior like in "Divorce"?
2. What is wrong, according to Zahra's husband, with the way she eats?
3. Who did Zahra compare her husband to in Chapter 5?
4. What is lodged in a character's nose in "A Vacation"?
5. What does the old man in "A House in the Woods" give the girls to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does visitor attempt to help employee in "Dinner in the Black Market:"?
2. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
3. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
4. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
5. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
6. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
7. Describe the main character in "Divorce".
8. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
9. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
10. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)