|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the woman visit at the end of "Out of Work"?
2. Why did Aziz's parents fight?
3. What is the acquaintance's reaction to the state official's offer in "The Discontented"?
4. What month is "A Vacation" set in?
5. How are the girls in "A House in the Woods" related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the sisters attempt to build the house out of in "House in the Woods"?
2. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
3. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
4. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
5. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
6. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
7. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
8. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
9. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
10. What happens to Zahra's wool spinning business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Zahra's faqih (note the spelling of faqih) and what role does he play in her life choices ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)