|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the visitor's home like in "Dinner in the Black Market"?
2. What buildings replace the old homes?
3. What does the state official believe is the reason for his acquaintance's living conditions?
4. What religion does Aziz convert to?
5. When must the sisters fast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the surprise guest in "A Vacation" and how does Roukia react to the visitor?
2. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
3. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
4. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
5. Why is Aziz nervous at the start of "The Stranger"?
6. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
7. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
8. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
9. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
10. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)