|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returned from exile in 1956?
2. What did Zahra feel her role was once she married?
3. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
4. How did Zahra learn about Rahman?
5. Where does Zahra go to live in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
2. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What was Zahra's childhood like?
4. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
5. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
6. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
7. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
8. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
9. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
10. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term conflict. How does conflict appear in literature? Choose two stories in Abu Zayd's collection and explain the conflict or conflicts in each story.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)