|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
2. Who returned from exile in 1956?
3. What rumor was spread about Raham's house?
4. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
5. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 about Zahra's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
2. What was Zahra's childhood like?
3. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
4. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
5. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
6. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
7. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
8. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
9. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
10. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)