|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra and Faqih travel to Souk al-Arba?
2. How does Zahra feel when she visits the tomb in Chapter 2?
3. What people make up Zahra's family class?
4. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
5. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
2. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
3. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
4. What was Zahra's childhood like?
5. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
6. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
7. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
8. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
9. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
10. Who is Safia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Zahra's faqih (note the spelling of faqih) and what role does he play in her life choices ?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)