|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
2. Whose grave does Zahra visit in Chapter 2?
3. What does Zahra compare the Casablanca Massacre to?
4. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
5. Who does Faqih hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
2. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
3. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
4. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
5. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
6. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
7. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
8. What is a "caid"?
9. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
10. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
Essay Topic 2
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)