Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What limb did Faqih loose in Vietnam?
2. When did Morocco gain independence?
3. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
4. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
5. What does Zahra think about Casablanca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
2. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
3. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
4. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
5. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
6. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
7. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
8. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
9. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
10. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary term conflict. How does conflict appear in literature? Choose two stories in Abu Zayd's collection and explain the conflict or conflicts in each story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)