Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What limb did Faqih loose in Vietnam?
2. When did Morocco gain independence?
3. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
4. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
5. What does Zahra think about Casablanca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
2. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
3. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
4. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
5. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
6. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
7. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
8. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
9. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
10. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples and explain religion plays a role in the story "Year of the Elephant".
Essay Topic 3
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)