|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
2. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
4. What was attacked in 570 A.D.?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
2. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
3. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
4. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
5. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
6. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
7. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
8. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
9. Who is Safia?
10. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)