|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
2. How does Zahra feel at the start of this story?
3. How did Zahra feel on her wedding day?
4. How did Zahra react to the Casablanca Massacre?
5. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
2. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
3. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
4. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
5. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
6. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
7. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
8. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
9. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
10. Who is Safia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Abu Zayd address the theme of independence in his "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples of examples of this theme and explain how these examples contribute to the message of the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)