|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What limb did Faqih loose in Vietnam?
2. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
3. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
4. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
5. How old was Abou Zayd when Morocco gained independence from France?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
2. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
3. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
4. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
5. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
6. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
7. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
8. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
9. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
10. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)