|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Zahra's father like?
2. What does Zahra remember when she sees images of the natural disaster in Chapter 1?
3. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
5. How does Zahra feel at the start of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Safia?
3. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
4. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
5. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
6. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
7. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
8. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
9. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
10. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)