|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
2. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
3. Who was born in the Year of the Elephant ?
4. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
5. When did Morocco gain independence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
2. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
3. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
4. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
5. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
6. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
7. What was Zahra's childhood like?
8. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
9. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
10. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)