|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
2. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
3. Where does Zahra return to in Chapter 1?
4. How did Zahra feel on her wedding day?
5. Where does Zahra's husband go to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
2. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
3. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
4. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
5. What was Zahra's childhood like?
6. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
7. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
8. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
9. What is a "caid"?
10. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
Essay Topic 3
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)