|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
2. Who moves to Casablanca with Zahra?
3. What year was Abou Zayd born?
4. What people make up Zahra's family class?
5. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
2. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
3. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
4. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
5. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
6. Describe the visitor in the story "Dinner in the Black Market".
7. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
8. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
9. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
10. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples and explain religion plays a role in the story "Year of the Elephant".
Essay Topic 2
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term conflict. How does conflict appear in literature? Choose two stories in Abu Zayd's collection and explain the conflict or conflicts in each story.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)