|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Zahra's husband ask permission from before marrying Zahra?
2. Who, at the end of Chapter 1, gives Zahra a mattress?
3. Who does Faqih hate?
4. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
5. What can Zahra and her husband not discuss while at the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
2. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
3. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
4. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
5. What is a "caid"?
6. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
7. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
8. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
9. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
10. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
Essay Topic 3
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)