|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's husband feel about the resistance?
2. Who is Safia?
3. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
4. What job did Abou Zayd have after college?
5. What did Zahra feel her role was once she married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
2. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
4. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
5. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
6. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
7. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
8. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
9. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
10. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term antagonist and identify who you believe is the antagonist in a story of your choice. Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument. Discuss how the antagonist is identified in the presence of the protagonist.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)