|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
2. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
3. How old was Abou Zayd when Morocco gained independence from France?
4. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
5. How did Zahra learn about Rahman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "caid"?
2. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
3. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
4. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
5. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
6. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
7. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
8. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
9. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
10. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)