|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
2. What did Zahra feel her role was once she married?
3. How does Zahra feel when she visits the tomb in Chapter 2?
4. Where did Zahra live during the first year of her marriage?
5. What is the "first" this book is known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
2. How does Zahra's husband change when he receives his "caid"?
3. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
4. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
5. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
6. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
7. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
8. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
9. What was Zahra's childhood like?
10. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 2
Zahra meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influence her life, and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)