|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of meetings do Zahra and Safia hold?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
3. What can Zahra and her husband not discuss while at the jail?
4. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
5. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
2. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
3. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
4. Describe the two main characters in "The Discontented".
5. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
6. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
7. What was Zahra's childhood like?
8. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
9. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
10. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term protagonist and identify who you believe is the protagonist in the story "The Stranger". Supply evidence from the book that supports your argument.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)