|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What limb did Faqih loose in Vietnam?
2. When did Morocco gain independence?
3. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
4. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
5. What does Zahra think about Casablanca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the one sister smile at the end of "Silence"?
2. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
3. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
4. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
5. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
6. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
7. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
8. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
9. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
10. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the genres of fiction and non-fiction. Which genre does this book fall? How does narration cloud the reader's understanding of fiction and non-fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)