|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zahra do to Pinhas' shop?
2. What does Zahra think about Casablanca?
3. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
4. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
5. Who moves to Casablanca with Zahra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
2. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
3. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
4. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
5. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
6. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
7. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
8. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
9. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
10. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Zahra. How does Zahra change from the beginning to the end of the book "Year of the Elephant"? Why? Do you believe Zahra is innocent at any point of the book? When does she loose her innocence? Choose one other character in the book and explain their relationship with Zahra..
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)