|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's husband express interest to Zahra that he wanted to marry her?
2. How did Zahra learn about Rahman?
3. What year was Abou Zayd born?
4. What type of meetings do Zahra and Safia hold?
5. Who is Walter in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
2. Who is Safia?
3. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
4. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
5. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
6. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
7. What was Zahra's childhood like?
8. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
9. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
10. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Abu Zayd's writing suggest about the treatment of women in Moroccan society? Provide several examples that demonstrate the different social rules for men and women in Abu Zayd's book.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)