|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra's husband go to jail?
2. Who does Zahra visit in Chapter 3 to air her frustration?
3. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
4. What year was Abou Zayd born?
5. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
2. What was Zahra's childhood like?
3. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
4. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
5. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
6. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
7. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
8. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
9. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
10. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)