|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra return to in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 4?
3. Where does Zahra's husband get transferred to in Chapter 4?
4. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
5. Who is the narrator of this story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
2. What is a "caid"?
3. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
4. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
5. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
6. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
7. What was Zahra's childhood like?
8. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
9. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
10. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zahra meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influence her life, and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)