|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was attacked in 570 A.D.?
2. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
3. Who did Zahra's husband ask permission from before marrying Zahra?
4. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
5. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
2. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
3. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
4. What is a "caid"?
5. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
6. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
7. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
8. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
9. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
10. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 2
How does Abu Zayd address the theme of independence in his "Year of the Elephant"? Choose two examples of examples of this theme and explain how these examples contribute to the message of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term conflict. How does conflict appear in literature? Choose two stories in Abu Zayd's collection and explain the conflict or conflicts in each story.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)