|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
2. How did Zahra and Faqih travel to Souk al-Arba?
3. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
4. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
5. How did Zahra's husband feel about the resistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
2. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
3. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
4. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
5. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
6. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
7. Who is Safia?
8. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
9. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
10. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the Moroccan independence movement affected AbuZaud's life as an artist. How does the independence movement play a role in her character's lives?
Essay Topic 3
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)