|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Faqih leave behind in Vietnam?
2. Who moves to Casablanca with Zahra?
3. What was Zahra's father like?
4. What does Zahra compare the Casablanca Massacre to?
5. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
2. What is a "caid"?
3. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
4. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
5. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
6. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
7. Who is Safia?
8. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
9. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
10. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
When considering Abu Zayd's life, where do you believe she found the inspiration for her book? What does this book cause you to think about the author's life? Why was her book the first to translated from Arabic to English?
Essay Topic 3
Zahra meets many interesting people in the book. These people influence her life in many ways. Choose one person or couple she meets that influence her life, and explain the positive and negative aspects of that influence.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)