|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
2. How did Zahra learn about Rahman?
3. How did Faqih escape his pursuers?
4. How does Zahra travel to the prison in Chapter 4?
5. At the start of Chapter 4 what does Zahra spend her money on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
2. Who is Safia?
3. What do the men in "The Discontented" blame the childhood friend's station in life on?
4. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
5. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
6. What do the husbands discover about visitor at the end of the story?
7. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
8. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
9. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
10. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback. How does Abu Zayd use flashbacks in her book? Provide two examples of flashbacks and how they provide the reader with important information about a central character.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)