|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
2. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
3. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
4. Who stole donated goods from the storage sight in Chapter 4?
5. What was attacked in 570 A.D.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
2. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
3. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
4. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
5. Who is Safia?
6. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
7. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
8. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
9. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
10. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Moroccan independence movement affect the lives of the characters in Abu Zayd's book? Choose one character (other then Zahra) and discuss how the independence movement affects his or her life.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)