|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose grave does Zahra visit in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Zahra return to in Chapter 1?
3. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
4. How did Zahra and Faqih travel to Souk al-Arba?
5. Where did Zahra live during the first year of her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "caid"?
2. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
3. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
4. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
5. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
6. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
7. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
8. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
9. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
10. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Zahra's faqih (note the spelling of faqih) and what role does he play in her life choices ?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of abandonment present itself in the story "Divorce". How was the main character affected by abandonment in his childhood and how does he act out in adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)