|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered the language of the common man in Morocco?
2. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
3. What is a faqih?
4. Who does Zahra visit in Chapter 3 to air her frustration?
5. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
2. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
3. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
4. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
5. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
6. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
7. Who is Safia?
8. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
9. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
10. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Zahra and her husband. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways Zahra's husband changes her life.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)