|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's husband express interest to Zahra that he wanted to marry her?
2. What is considered the language of the common man in Morocco?
3. How does Zahra travel to the prison in Chapter 4?
4. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
5. What is the "first" this book is known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
2. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
3. What is a "caid"?
4. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
5. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
6. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
7. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
8. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
9. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
10. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the interaction between the men in the story "The Discontented". How are the men different from one another? What occurs at the end of the story that sets the two men further apart?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the plot and subplot in "Dinner in the Black Market". Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Abu Zayd effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the religious holiday Ramadan and the role it plays in the story "Silence". What is the significance how how the characters react to this holiday?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)