|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When must the sisters fast?
(a) During the day.
(b) The third Friday of the month.
(c) During the night.
(d) 48 hours.
2. How do the girls decorate their construction in "A House in the Woods"?
3. What does the woman learn at the end of "Out of Work"?
(a) Life passed her by.
(b) Money makes you happy.
(c) Love is everything.
(d) Death makes your cry.
4. In the story "Dinner in the Black Market", what is the employee looking for?
(a) A job.
(b) A piece of art.
(c) A missing book.
(d) A rental.
5. How did the two sisters in "Silence" differ?
(a) One was rich and the other was poor.
(b) One was young looking and the other sickly.
(c) One was blonde and the one was brunette.
(d) One was deaf and the other was blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the visitor think she can help the employee in "Dinner in the Black Market"?
2. What does the woman in "Out of Work" see young people wearing?
3. How does the woman in "Out of Work" describe her commute?
4. What was the life of the person the state official met with like?
5. Who does Roukia unlock the door for on a nightly basis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Zahra's husband embarrassed by her in Chapter 5?
2. What conversation do the main character in "Divorce" and his brother discuss in the hospital?
3. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
4. Describe the main character in "Divorce".
5. Describe the two sisters in "Silence".
6. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
7. Describe two ways the old man helps the sisters in "House in the Woods"?
8. What trick do the girls in "House in the Woods" play on the old man?
9. What role does religion play in Aziz's life?
10. What causes the falling out between Zahra and her sister in Chapter 5?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)