|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) Divorce papers.
(b) A will.
(c) Immigration papers.
(d) Custody papers.
2. Why did Zahra's mother-in-law want her son to divorce Zahra?
(a) She stole from the family.
(b) She yelled at her.
(c) She ate the last of their rice.
(d) She was barren.
3. Who moves to Casablanca with Zahra?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her friend.
4. Who surprises Zahra during one of her meetings in Chapter 4?
(a) June B.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her husband.
5. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Her inner turmoil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What limb did Faqih loose in Vietnam?
2. What did Zahra feel her role was once she married?
3. Who taught Zahra the skill she will use to make money?
4. What can Zahra and her husband not discuss while at the jail?
5. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
2. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
3. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
4. What is a "caid"?
5. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
6. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
7. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
8. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
9. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
10. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)