|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
2. Who does Zahra learn has a baby later in life?
(b) Rahman's daughter.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her sister.
3. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
(b) At home.
4. How did Faqih escape his pursuers?
(a) He dressed in women's clothes.
(b) He ran to Paris.
(c) He hid in a trash can.
(d) He dressed as a homeless man.
5. Where did Zahra want to store goods in Chapter 4?
(a) Faqih's house.
(b) Her house.
(c) A cellar in an abandoned home.
(d) The local school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
2. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
3. What was attacked in 570 A.D.?
4. Who is Rahma?
5. Who, at the end of Chapter 1, gives Zahra a mattress?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
2. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
3. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
4. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
5. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
6. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
7. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
8. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
9. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
10. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)