|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) The mall.
(b) The post office.
(c) The park.
2. Where did Zahra live during the first year of her marriage?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her in-laws.
3. What was Zahra's father like?
4. What is a faqih?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A queen.
(c) A street car.
(d) A holyman.
5. How old was Abou Zayd when Morocco gained independence from France?
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
2. Who did Morocco fight in the 19th century?
3. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
4. What animal dropped clay pellets on the army?
5. How did Zahra react to the Casablanca Massacre?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
2. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
3. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
4. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
5. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
6. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
7. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
8. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
9. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
10. What was Zahra's experience in Chapter 2 like while living in Casablanca?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)