|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Zahra learn has a baby later in life?
(a) Rahman's daughter.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her teacher.
2. Who surprises Zahra during one of her meetings in Chapter 4?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her husband.
(d) June B.
3. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
4. Where does Zahra's husband get transferred to in Chapter 4?
5. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
(a) With hatred.
(b) Like a hero.
(c) With disdain.
(d) With fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra's husband go to jail?
2. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
3. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
4. How old was Abou Zayd when Morocco gained independence from France?
5. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
2. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
3. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
4. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
5. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
6. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
7. Who is Safia?
8. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
9. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
10. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)