|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 about Zahra's family?
(a) They live in jail.
(b) They are politicians.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) Her close family members are dead.
2. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
(a) She played games with her.
(b) She hated her.
(c) She ignored her.
(d) She loved her.
3. Who returned from exile in 1956?
(a) Abou Zayd.
(b) The sultan.
4. What rumor was spread about Raham's house?
(a) It was haunted.
(b) She had 20 bedrooms.
(c) She had a magic room.
(d) It disappeared.
5. What crisis did Morocco face in the mid 1950s?
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Zahra and her husband not discuss while at the jail?
2. What did the children think Rahma really was?
3. What was Hajj Ali given after the independence?
4. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
5. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
2. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
3. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
4. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
5. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
6. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
7. Who is Safia?
8. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
9. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
10. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)