|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 about Zahra's family?
(a) They live in jail.
(b) They are wealthy.
(c) They are politicians.
(d) Her close family members are dead.
2. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
(a) Older men.
(b) Illiterate peasant women.
(c) School teachers.
(d) Small children.
3. How many languages does Abou Zayd know?
4. What animal dropped clay pellets on the army?
5. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra's husband go to jail?
2. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
3. What crisis did Morocco face in the mid 1950s?
4. Who is Walter in Chapter 4?
5. How does Zahra travel to the prison in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
2. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
3. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
4. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
5. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
6. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
7. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
8. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
9. What was Zahra's childhood like?
10. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)