|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
2. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
(a) A nursery.
(b) A room that was painted green.
(c) Several locked doors.
(d) A big TV.
3. Why did Zahra's mother-in-law want her son to divorce Zahra?
(a) She stole from the family.
(b) She was barren.
(c) She yelled at her.
(d) She ate the last of their rice.
4. Who goes to the prison with Zahra to visit her husband?
5. What does Zahra compare the Casablanca Massacre to?
(a) A solid marraige.
(b) Shooting fish in a barrel.
(c) Losing a loved one.
(d) A surprise party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's husband express interest to Zahra that he wanted to marry her?
2. Who is Rahma?
3. How does Zahra describe her childhood?
4. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
5. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
2. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
3. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
4. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
5. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
6. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
7. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
8. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
9. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
10. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)