|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Abou Zayd have after college?
2. How does Zahra recognize Rahal ?
(a) He has six fingers.
(b) He has six toes.
(c) He has long hair.
(d) He is blonde.
3. What does Zahra remember when she sees images of the natural disaster in Chapter 1?
(a) The local baker.
(b) The sultan.
(c) Her school.
(d) Jewish merchants.
4. How did Zahra react to the Casablanca Massacre?
5. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
(b) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra's husband get transferred to in Chapter 4?
2. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
3. How did Zahra feel on her wedding day?
4. What can Zahra and her husband not discuss while at the jail?
5. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
2. Who is Safia?
3. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
4. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
5. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
6. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
7. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
8. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
9. What was Zahra's childhood like?
10. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)