|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Morocco fight in the 19th century?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The United States.
(d) The French and Spanish.
2. What animal dropped clay pellets on the army?
3. What did the children think Rahma really was?
(a) A demon.
(b) A witch.
(c) A fairy.
(d) A vampire.
4. What job did Abou Zayd have after college?
5. Who taught Zahra the skill she will use to make money?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) No one.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
2. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
3. Who was born in the Year of the Elephant ?
4. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
5. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nightly ritual Roukia preforms? How does it help the family?
2. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
3. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
4. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
5. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" after she left her job.
6. What happens when Roukia is locked in the cellar?
7. Describe Zahra's experience with the fortune-teller.
8. What message does Aziz receive from his mother at the end of the story?
9. How do the two sisters in "Silence" react to Ramadan?
10. Who does not agree with Zahra's choice to move to Casablanca and why?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)