|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
(b) Her father.
2. Who is the narrator of this story?
3. How did Zahra's husband feel about the resistance?
4. Who goes to the prison with Zahra to visit her husband?
5. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) The mall.
(b) The post office.
(d) The park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zahra compare the Casablanca Massacre to?
2. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
3. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
4. How does Zahra describe her childhood?
5. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the main character of "Divorce" leave his wife?
2. What offer does one man make to the other in "The Discontented" and what is the man's response to the offer?
3. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
4. What role does Yasmine play in the story "The Stranger"?
5. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
6. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
7. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
8. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
9. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
10. Describe the life of the woman in "Out of Work" while she was working.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)