|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zahra feel in Chapter 3 when she visits the open air market?
(c) At home.
2. Who returned from exile in 1956?
(a) Abou Zayd.
(d) The sultan.
3. How many languages does Abou Zayd know?
4. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
(a) A wealthy woman.
(b) A child.
(c) A homeless man.
(d) A working-class woman.
5. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
(a) Her family.
(b) The priest.
(c) Her mother-in-law.
(d) The groom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's husband feel about the resistance?
2. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
4. How does Zahra travel to the prison in Chapter 4?
5. What language did Abou Zayd use on her radio show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
2. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
3. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
4. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
5. Who is Safia?
6. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
7. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
8. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
9. What is a "caid"?
10. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)