|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Zahra's husband express interest to Zahra that he wanted to marry her?
(a) He wrote her a letter.
(b) He did not consult her.
(c) He emailed her.
(d) He called her.
2. What does Zahra remember when she sees images of the natural disaster in Chapter 1?
(a) Her school.
(b) Jewish merchants.
(c) The sultan.
(d) The local baker.
3. How does Zahra feel when she visits the tomb in Chapter 2?
(b) At peace.
4. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is broke.
(c) Her mother is dying.
(d) He wants a divorce.
5. Who is the narrator of this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
2. How does Zahra feel at the start of Chapter 4?
3. What is considered the language of the common man in Morocco?
4. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
5. Who did Morocco fight in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
2. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
3. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
4. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
5. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
6. What was Zahra's childhood like?
7. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
8. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
9. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
10. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)