|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
(a) Small children.
(b) Illiterate peasant women.
(c) School teachers.
(d) Older men.
2. Who was born in the Year of the Elephant ?
(b) Shing Liu.
(c) The prophet Mohammad.
(d) Abou Zayd.
3. What does Zahra think about Casablanca?
(a) Low class.
4. What is scary about the news Zahra receives in Chapter 1 from her husband?
(a) She doesn't want him to die.
(b) They will have no where to live.
(c) Her mother is her best friend.
(d) Moroccan women don't divorce.
5. How much money does Zahra receive in Chapter 3 from the government?
(a) Enough for a hundred days.
(b) 354 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) Enough for twenty days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
3. Who did Faqih leave behind in Vietnam?
4. What does Zahra compare the Casablanca Massacre to?
5. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
2. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
3. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
4. What is the Year of the Elephant ?
5. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
6. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
7. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
8. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
9. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
10. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)