|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
(a) A working-class woman.
(b) A homeless man.
(c) A child.
(d) A wealthy woman.
2. At the start of Chapter 4 what does Zahra spend her money on?
(b) Spinning materials.
3. Who does Zahra visit in Chapter 3 to air her frustration?
(a) Her brother.
(b) The faqih.
(c) A therapist.
(d) Her mother.
4. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) Divorce papers.
(b) Immigration papers.
(c) Custody papers.
(d) A will.
5. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
(a) He robs a bank.
(b) He murders a friend.
(c) He hits his wife.
(d) He is a nationalist sympathizer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra go to live in Chapter 1?
2. What was Hajj Ali given after the independence?
3. How old was Abou Zayd when Morocco gained independence from France?
4. Who is Walter in Chapter 4?
5. Who did Morocco fight in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
2. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
3. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
4. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
5. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
6. Why does Faqih dislike the French?
7. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
8. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
9. What was Zahra's childhood like?
10. What is a "caid"?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)