|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Zahra react to the Casablanca Massacre?
2. Who returned from exile in 1956?
(b) Abou Zayd.
(d) The sultan.
3. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
4. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
(a) He robs a bank.
(b) He hits his wife.
(c) He is a nationalist sympathizer.
(d) He murders a friend.
5. Who is Rahma?
(a) An eccentric man.
(b) A wealthy banker.
(c) An eccentric woman.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zahra feel at the start of this story?
2. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
3. Where does Zahra's husband go to jail?
4. How did Zahra's family make money?
5. Where did Zahra live during the first year of her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
2. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
3. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
4. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
5. How does Zahra's husband sneak Faqih out of town?
6. What did Zahra describe as an oasis and desert and why?
7. Who is Safia?
8. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
9. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
10. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)