|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of meetings do Zahra and Safia hold?
(a) Legal meetings.
(b) Women's meetings.
(c) Therapist sessions.
(d) Parent-teacher meetings.
2. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
3. Who taught Zahra the skill she will use to make money?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) No one.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. At the start of Chapter 4 what does Zahra spend her money on?
(a) Spinning materials.
5. How did Zahra feel on her wedding day?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Zahra receive in Chapter 3 from the government?
2. What crisis did Morocco face in the mid 1950s?
3. How many languages does Abou Zayd know?
4. How does Zahra feel at the start of this story?
5. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Zahra's experience at Al-Adir?
2. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
3. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
4. Who is Rahma and why does Zahra want to get to know her?
5. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
6. What was Zahra's childhood like?
7. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
8. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
9. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
10. Who is Safia?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)