|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
(a) School teachers.
(b) Older men.
(c) Illiterate peasant women.
(d) Small children.
2. What was Hajj Ali given after the independence?
(a) A caid.
(b) A new home.
(c) A saat.
(d) A medal.
3. How does Zahra recognize Rahal ?
(a) He has six toes.
(b) He is blonde.
(c) He has six fingers.
(d) He has long hair.
4. How did Zahra's husband express interest to Zahra that he wanted to marry her?
(a) He wrote her a letter.
(b) He called her.
(c) He did not consult her.
(d) He emailed her.
5. What does Zahra do to Pinhas' shop?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Paints it.
(c) Shops there.
(d) Buys it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zahra feel when she visits the tomb in Chapter 2?
2. Why did Zahra's mother-in-law want her son to divorce Zahra?
3. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
4. How much money does Zahra receive in Chapter 3 from the government?
5. What job did Abou Zayd have after college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
2. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
3. Why is the point of view of "Year of the Elephant" important?
4. What was Zahra's childhood like?
5. Why is Zahra distraught at the start of Chapter 1?
6. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
7. Why does the author of the introduction claim that "Year of the Elephant" is "an event in cross-cultural literary history"?
8. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
9. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
10. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)