|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language was "Year of the Elephant" first written in?
2. Whose grave does Zahra visit in Chapter 2?
(a) Her friend.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandfather.
3. What can Zahra and her husband not discuss while at the jail?
(a) Their marriage.
(b) The weather.
(d) Their children.
4. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
5. Who does Faqih hate?
(d) The French.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many languages does Abou Zayd know?
2. Who stole donated goods from the storage sight in Chapter 4?
3. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
4. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
5. What does Zahra remember when she sees images of the natural disaster in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zahra join the Moroccan resistance movement?
2. What was Zahra's marriage proposal like? What happened at the wedding? What was the first year of marriage like?
3. Describe Zahra's mood at the start of Chapter 4. Why does she feel this way?
4. Why did Faqih not want the woman's group to store items in his home?
5. What was Zahra's childhood like?
6. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
7. What was the education crisis Morocco faced in the 1950's?
8. Where does Zahra go to live at the end of Chapter 1?
9. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
10. What happened in Morocco when it gained independence?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)