|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
(a) The priest.
(b) Her family.
(c) The groom.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
2. Who is Rahma?
(a) An eccentric woman.
(b) An eccentric man.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A wealthy banker.
3. How did Faqih escape his pursuers?
(a) He hid in a trash can.
(b) He dressed as a homeless man.
(c) He dressed in women's clothes.
(d) He ran to Paris.
4. Why did Zahra's mother-in-law want her son to divorce Zahra?
(a) She ate the last of their rice.
(b) She stole from the family.
(c) She yelled at her.
(d) She was barren.
5. What job did Abou Zayd have after college?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zahra feel at the start of Chapter 4?
2. Where does Zahra go to live in Chapter 1?
3. Who does Zahra visit in Chapter 3 to air her frustration?
4. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
5. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who raised Zahra and why could she not go back to their home?
2. What did Zahra's parents do for a living and why was it dangerous?
3. Describe Abou Zayd's childhood and how it affected her writing.
4. Who is the local "faqih" and how does he help Zahra in Chapter 1?
5. How does Zahra decide to make a living and who taught her this skill?
6. What imagery does the author use in Chapter 1?
7. Describe the narrator of "The Year of the Elephant".
8. Why might Abou Zayd have written "Year of the Elephant" in Arabic?
9. What happens to Zahra's husband in Chapter 4? How does she find out?
10. Why does Zahra go to the post office in Chapter 3?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)