|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
(a) Her husband.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A neighbor.
2. Why did Zahra's mother-in-law want her son to divorce Zahra?
(a) She stole from the family.
(b) She ate the last of their rice.
(c) She yelled at her.
(d) She was barren.
3. Where does Zahra's husband get transferred to in Chapter 4?
4. What year was Abou Zayd born?
5. What is the "first" this book is known for?
(a) The first book to question Islam.
(b) The first book written by a Moroccan woman translated to English.
(c) The first book to question Christianity.
(d) The first book written by a woman.
6. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 about Zahra's family?
(a) They live in jail.
(b) They are politicians.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) Her close family members are dead.
7. What did the children think Rahma really was?
(a) A witch.
(b) A fairy.
(c) A demon.
(d) A vampire.
8. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
(a) School teachers.
(b) Illiterate peasant women.
(c) Older men.
(d) Small children.
9. What is considered the language of the wealthy in Morocco?
10. Who taught Zahra the skill she will use to make money?
(a) No one.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
11. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
12. How much money does Zahra receive in Chapter 3 from the government?
(a) 354 dollars.
(b) Enough for a hundred days.
(c) Enough for twenty days.
(d) 100 dollars.
13. Where did Zahra live during the first year of her marriage?
(a) Her in-laws.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) Her parents.
14. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her inner turmoil.
(d) Her marriage.
15. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
(a) Elizabeth Fernea.
(b) Mike Wallace.
(c) John Stewart.
(d) McKayla Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zahra return to in Chapter 1?
2. What people make up Zahra's family class?
3. How did Zahra's husband feel about the resistance?
4. How did Zahra and Faqih travel to Souk al-Arba?
5. Who did Faqih leave behind in Vietnam?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)