|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language was "Year of the Elephant" first written in?
2. Who does Zahra visit in Chapter 3 to air her frustration?
(a) The faqih.
(b) Her brother.
(c) A therapist.
(d) Her mother.
3. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
(a) Her inner turmoil.
(b) Her husband's death.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Her mother's death.
4. What papers does Zahra fill out at the start of Chapter 3?
(a) A will.
(b) Divorce papers.
(c) Custody papers.
(d) Immigration papers.
5. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
(a) Her mother is dying.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is broke.
(d) He wants a divorce.
6. What did Zahra feel her role was once she married?
(a) To find a job.
(b) To go to school.
(c) To get pregnant.
(d) To sweep floors.
7. What crisis did Morocco face in the mid 1950s?
8. What is a faqih?
(a) A street car.
(b) A holyman.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A queen.
9. What animal dropped clay pellets on the army?
10. What was attacked in 570 A.D.?
11. How does Zahra feel at the start of this story?
12. Who returned from exile in 1956?
(b) Abou Zayd.
(d) The sultan.
13. Where did Zahra want to store goods in Chapter 4?
(a) The local school.
(b) Faqih's house.
(c) Her house.
(d) A cellar in an abandoned home.
14. Who taught Zahra the skill she will use to make money?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father.
15. How old was Abou Zayd when Morocco gained independence from France?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zahra learn has a baby later in life?
2. Who moves to Casablanca with Zahra?
3. How much money does Zahra receive in Chapter 3 from the government?
4. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
5. How does Zahra feel when she visits the tomb in Chapter 2?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)