|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many languages does Abou Zayd know?
2. Who returned from exile in 1956?
(b) Abou Zayd.
(d) The sultan.
3. Why did Zahra's mother-in-law want her son to divorce Zahra?
(a) She yelled at her.
(b) She stole from the family.
(c) She was barren.
(d) She ate the last of their rice.
4. What does the reader learn in Chapter 1 about Zahra's family?
(a) They live in jail.
(b) Her close family members are dead.
(c) They are politicians.
(d) They are wealthy.
5. Who did Morocco fight in the 19th century?
(a) The Japanese.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The French and Spanish.
(d) The United States.
6. What job did Abou Zayd have after college?
7. Who, at the end of Chapter 1, gives Zahra a mattress?
(a) The faqih.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her mother.
8. At the start of Chapter 4 what does Zahra spend her money on?
(d) Spinning materials.
9. How does Zahra recognize Rahal ?
(a) He has six toes.
(b) He is blonde.
(c) He has six fingers.
(d) He has long hair.
10. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 4?
11. What does Zahra's husband go to jail?
(a) He robs a bank.
(b) He murders a friend.
(c) He is a nationalist sympathizer.
(d) He hits his wife.
12. What language was "Year of the Elephant" first written in?
13. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
(a) A nursery.
(b) Several locked doors.
(c) A room that was painted green.
(d) A big TV.
14. What is considered the language of the common man in Morocco?
15. Where does Zahra return to in Chapter 1?
(b) New York.
(c) Her hometown.
(d) Her condo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Zahra live during the first year of her marriage?
2. Who helped Zahra decide to join the Moroccan resistance movement?
3. What limb did Faqih loose in Vietnam?
4. Who is Walter in Chapter 4?
5. How does Zahra describe her childhood?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)