|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
2. Who does Zahra visit in Chapter 3 to air her frustration?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) A therapist.
(d) The faqih.
3. How did Zahra and Faqih travel to Souk al-Arba?
4. What natural disaster occurs in Chapter 1 to Zahara's town?
5. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
(b) The park.
(c) The post office.
(d) The mall.
6. What was Hajj Ali given after the independence?
(a) A caid.
(b) A new home.
(c) A saat.
(d) A medal.
7. How did Zahra feel on her wedding day?
8. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
(a) School teachers.
(b) Older men.
(c) Illiterate peasant women.
(d) Small children.
9. What is the name of the author of the introduction?
(a) Mike Wallace.
(b) McKayla Frank.
(c) Elizabeth Fernea.
(d) John Stewart.
10. What language was "Year of the Elephant" first written in?
11. Where does Zahra return to in Chapter 1?
(a) New York.
(c) Her condo.
(d) Her hometown.
12. Who tells Zahra that her husband is in jail?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her mother.
13. What does Zahra remember when she sees images of the natural disaster in Chapter 1?
(a) Her school.
(b) The sultan.
(c) Jewish merchants.
(d) The local baker.
14. Who did Zahra avoid on her wedding day?
(a) Her mother-in-law.
(b) Her family.
(c) The priest.
(d) The groom.
15. Who is the narrator of this story?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Zahra's family make money?
2. Whose perspective is "Year of the Elephant" from?
3. How was the Sultan of Morocco treated when he returned from exile?
4. At the start of Chapter 4 what does Zahra spend her money on?
5. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)