|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Zahra see in Rahman's home?
(a) A room that was painted green.
(b) Several locked doors.
(c) A nursery.
(d) A big TV.
2. When did Morocco gain independence?
3. How does Zahra plan to make money?
(c) Spinning wool.
4. What language was "Year of the Elephant" first written in?
5. What year was Abou Zayd born?
6. Who is the narrator of this story?
7. Who was born in the Year of the Elephant ?
(a) Shing Liu.
(c) Abou Zayd.
(d) The prophet Mohammad.
8. What did Zahra feel her role was once she married?
(a) To sweep floors.
(b) To get pregnant.
(c) To find a job.
(d) To go to school.
9. Where does Zahra go at the start of Chapter 3?
(b) The park.
(c) The post office.
(d) The mall.
10. How did Zahra feel on her wedding day?
11. What is a faqih?
(a) A street car.
(b) A queen.
(c) A holyman.
(d) A doctor.
12. In Chapter 1, what does Zahra compare the natural disaster in her town to?
(a) Her marriage.
(b) Her mother's death.
(c) Her inner turmoil.
(d) Her husband's death.
13. What is the "first" this book is known for?
(a) The first book written by a woman.
(b) The first book to question Islam.
(c) The first book written by a Moroccan woman translated to English.
(d) The first book to question Christianity.
14. Who did Zahra's husband ask permission from before marrying Zahra?
(a) The mayor.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
15. How did Zahra's mother treat her?
(a) She played games with her.
(b) She ignored her.
(c) She hated her.
(d) She loved her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many languages does Abou Zayd know?
2. Who do the literacy meetings in Chapter 4 help?
3. What rumor was spread about Raham's house?
4. What does Hajj Ali do for a living?
5. What news does Zahra's husband give her in Chapter 1?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)