|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
2. After reaching the South, who immediately helps Sookan and Inchun?
3. Mother is waiting for the return of ___ from a labor camp.
4. What do Sookan and Inchun do after they have crossed the barbed wire fence into the South?
5. Why can't Sookan and Inchun stay at the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
2. What happened in 1950?
3. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
4. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
5. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
6. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
7. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
8. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
9. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
10. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)