|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Sookan and Inchun about the police who monitor the train station?
2. Where do Sookan and Inchun bravely go to look for their mother?
3. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
4. Who stays behind when the family flees to the South?
5. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
2. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
3. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
4. Describe Mrs. Kim.
5. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
6. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
7. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
8. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
9. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
10. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain ways in which Sookan's family resisted oppression, perhaps mentioning:
1) Haiwon's birthday
2) Sookan and Inchun being taught Korean language and culture
3) Escaping Communist rule
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the writing style used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)