|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
2. Where do Sookan and Inchun bravely go to look for their mother?
3. Unhi's family is ___.
4. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
5. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun get through the barbed wire fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
2. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
3. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
4. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
5. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
6. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
8. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
9. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
10. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of youth and its loss within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of compassion exhibited by characters within "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)