|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sookan crawls under the barbed wire fence?
2. Instead of "Town Reds," what does Aunt Tiger call the family?
3. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
4. Who do the Koreans hope will rescue them from foreign invaders?
5. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
2. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
3. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
4. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
5. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
6. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
8. What happened in 1950?
9. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
10. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of youth and its loss within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)