|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
2. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
3. At the town meetings, who is depicted in the portraits that are hung on the wall?
4. How does Mother finally reach the South?
5. After reaching the South, who immediately helps Sookan and Inchun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
2. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
3. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
4. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
5. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
6. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
7. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
8. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
9. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
10. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the complex human relationships as they appear in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)