|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sookan and Inchun bravely go to look for their mother?
2. As Sookan and Inchun are almost to the South, what do they hear behind them?
3. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
4. What does Inchun do after Mother is detained at the border?
5. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
2. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
3. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
4. Describe Mrs. Kim.
5. What happened in 1950?
6. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
7. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
8. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
9. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
10. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)