|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of "Town Reds," what does Aunt Tiger call the family?
2. Where do Sookan and Inchun bravely go to look for their mother?
3. In the Worker's Paradise, what happens to traitors?
4. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
5. What happens to Hansin's family after he tells his teachers at school that a stranger came to visit one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
2. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
3. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
4. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
5. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
6. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
7. What happened in 1950?
8. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
9. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
10. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)