|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
2. Who drives Sookan and Inchun from the guardhouse to the train staion?
3. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
4. Where is Korea divided in half?
5. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
2. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
3. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
4. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
5. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
6. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
7. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
8. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
9. Describe Mrs. Kim.
10. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the appearances of abuse within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)