|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the guide abandon Inchun and Sookan?
2. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
3. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
4. What happened to Aunt Tiger's children?
5. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 3
Explain ways in which Sookan's family resisted oppression, perhaps mentioning:
1) Haiwon's birthday
2) Sookan and Inchun being taught Korean language and culture
3) Escaping Communist rule
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)