|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kisa returns from fetching medicine, what does the family dig up from under the house?
2. How is the guide who is to take the family south dressed?
3. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
4. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
5. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to take a train back home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
2. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
3. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
4. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
5. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
6. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
8. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
9. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
10. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of compassion exhibited by characters within "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan and Inchun's journey from Pyongyang to Seoul and the dangers therein.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)