|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies after returning from a labor camp?
2. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
3. Who tells Sookan and Inchun about the police who monitor the train station?
4. What gets stolen from Sookan's house?
5. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
2. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
3. Describe the town meetings.
4. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
5. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
6. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
7. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
8. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
9. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
10. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)