|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
2. What does Inchun do after Mother is detained at the border?
3. What happened to Aunt Tiger's children?
4. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
5. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
2. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
3. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
4. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
5. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
6. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
7. Describe Dobraski.
8. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
9. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
10. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan and Inchun's journey from Pyongyang to Seoul and the dangers therein.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)