|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
2. In the summertime, who gets sick?
3. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
4. Where do Sookan and Inchun sleep while looking for their mother?
5. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
2. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
3. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
4. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
5. Describe Mrs. Kim.
6. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
7. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
8. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
9. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
10. What happened in 1950?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)