|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
2. What do Sookan and Inchun do after they have crossed the barbed wire fence into the South?
3. In the summertime, who gets sick?
4. Where does Kisa go to get medicine?
5. Who is the teacher of the Little Proletariat school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
2. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
3. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
4. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
5. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
6. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
8. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
9. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
10. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)