|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
2. At the town meetings, who is depicted in the portraits that are hung on the wall?
3. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
4. Who takes pity on Sookan and Inchun and tells them to meet him at the train station later that night?
5. Who is at home when Sookan's house is robbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the town meetings.
2. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
3. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
4. Describe Mrs. Kim.
5. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
6. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
7. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
8. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
9. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
10. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sookan and Inchun's journey from Pyongyang to Seoul and the dangers therein.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the writing style used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)