|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
2. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
3. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
4. How does Mother finally reach the South?
5. Who tells Sookan and Inchun about the police who monitor the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
2. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
3. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
4. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
5. Describe the town meetings.
6. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
7. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
8. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
9. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
10. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)