|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While searching for Mother, why does Sookan try to stay awake at night?
2. Who dies after returning from a labor camp?
3. While trying to flee to the South, where are Mother and the children separated?
4. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
5. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
2. Describe the town meetings.
3. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
4. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
5. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
6. Describe Dobraski.
7. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
8. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
9. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
10. Describe Mrs. Kim.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)