|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
2. What gets stolen from Sookan's house?
3. What animals do Sookan and Inchun see at the guardhouse while searching for Mother?
4. Where do Sookan and Inchun sleep while looking for their mother?
5. Where does Kisa go to get medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
2. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
3. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
4. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
5. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
6. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
7. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
8. What happened in 1950?
9. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
10. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 2
Explain ways in which Sookan's family resisted oppression, perhaps mentioning:
1) Haiwon's birthday
2) Sookan and Inchun being taught Korean language and culture
3) Escaping Communist rule
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the writing style used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)