|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
2. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
3. After the Japanese leave, who supposedly will take care of the Koreans?
4. After reaching the South, how do Inchun and Sookan get to Seoul?
5. Why can't Sookan and Inchun stay at the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
2. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
3. What happened in 1950?
4. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
5. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
6. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
7. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
8. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
9. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
10. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)