|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sookan and Inchun do after they have crossed the barbed wire fence into the South?
2. Mother is waiting for the return of ___ from a labor camp.
3. How is Kisa related to Sookan's family?
4. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
5. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
2. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
3. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
4. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
5. Describe the town meetings.
6. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
7. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
8. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
9. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
10. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sookan and Inchun's journey from Pyongyang to Seoul and the dangers therein.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)