|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of club does Sookan start at her new school in Seoul?
2. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
3. What news does Kisa learn on his trip to get medicine?
4. After being invaded again, where does Sookan's family hide?
5. After the Japanese leave, who supposedly will take care of the Koreans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
2. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
3. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
4. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
5. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
6. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
7. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
8. What happened in 1950?
9. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
10. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)