|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While escaping to the South, why does Sooken take off her shoes?
2. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
3. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
4. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
5. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
2. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
3. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
4. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
5. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
6. Describe Dobraski.
7. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
8. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
9. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
10. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
Essay Topic 2
Explain ways in which Sookan's family resisted oppression, perhaps mentioning:
1) Haiwon's birthday
2) Sookan and Inchun being taught Korean language and culture
3) Escaping Communist rule
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)