|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Grandfather tortured before he was rescued?
2. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
3. Who does not speak after Grandfather's death?
4. What are the old family photographs kept in?
5. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
2. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
3. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
4. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
5. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
6. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
7. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
8. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
9. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
10. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of abuse within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)