|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the old family photographs kept in?
2. What special food does Mother get for the birthday feast?
3. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
4. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
5. What does Grandfather do while the children are being told about their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
2. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
3. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
4. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
5. Where are Sookan's siblings?
6. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
7. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
8. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
9. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
10. Describe Haiwon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)