|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Aunt Tiger's husband?
2. What is wrong with Kisa?
3. What is a Spirit Girl?
4. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
5. Who tries to lift Inchun's spirits after the birthday feast is interrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
2. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
3. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
4. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
5. Where are Sookan's siblings?
6. Describe the family business.
7. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
8. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
9. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
10. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the appearances of abuse within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)