|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being beaten at school, who is taking care of Sookan when she wakes up?
2. During her first day at school, what is confiscated from Sookan at lunchtime?
3. At school, who does Sookan have to stand next to in line?
4. What is wrong with Grandfather's feet?
5. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Sookan's siblings?
2. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
3. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
4. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
5. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
6. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
7. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
8. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
9. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
10. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)