|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At school, who does Sookan have to stand next to in line?
2. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
3. Who is Sookan's favorite factory worker?
4. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
5. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan think she is being punished?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
2. Describe the family business.
3. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
4. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
5. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
6. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
7. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
8. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
9. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
10. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)