|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the normal everyday dishes made of?
2. Who cries tears of joy at the birthday feast?
3. Who asks Sookan and Inchun to wash Grandfather's feet?
4. Who tries to prevent Sookan and Inchun from washing Grandfather's feet?
5. At Japanese school, what is against the rules to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
2. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
3. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
4. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
5. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
6. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
7. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
8. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
9. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
10. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the complex human relationships as they appear in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)