|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Kisa?
2. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
3. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
4. At school, who is nice to Sookan?
5. Who does not speak after Grandfather's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
2. Describe Haiwon.
3. Describe the family business.
4. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
5. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
6. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
7. Where are Sookan's siblings?
8. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
9. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
10. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of youth and its loss within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)