|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Japanese school, who beats Sookan?
2. How does Captain Narita take away the factory workers?
3. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
4. What happens to the person who tries to save the factory workers form being taken away?
5. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
2. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
3. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
4. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
5. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
6. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
7. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
8. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
9. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
10. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of youth and its loss within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)