|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to fight back as the factory girls are being taken away to be Spirit Girls?
2. Where is Theresa?
3. What do Sookan and Inchun water after the birthday feast debacle?
4. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
5. What is made in the family factory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
2. Describe the family business.
3. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
4. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
5. Describe Haiwon.
6. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
7. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
8. Where are Sookan's siblings?
9. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
10. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)