|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Sookan and Inchun to wash Grandfather's feet?
2. What is Grandfather missing on one hand?
3. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
4. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
5. During her first day at school, what is confiscated from Sookan at lunchtime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
2. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
3. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
4. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
5. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
6. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
7. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
8. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
9. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
10. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the writing style used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)