|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches the family having a feast?
2. What were destroyed to make Shinto shrines?
3. What does Sookan want to plant?
4. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
5. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
2. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
3. Describe Haiwon.
4. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
5. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
6. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
7. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
8. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
9. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
10. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain ways in which Sookan's family resisted oppression, perhaps mentioning:
1) Haiwon's birthday
2) Sookan and Inchun being taught Korean language and culture
3) Escaping Communist rule
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)