|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Kisa?
2. Who tries to prevent Sookan and Inchun from washing Grandfather's feet?
3. Where is Theresa?
4. How does Captain Narita take away the factory workers?
5. Who introduced Mother to Catholicism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
2. Describe the family business.
3. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
4. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
5. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
6. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
7. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
8. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
9. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
10. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)