|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
2. Who is Father Carroll?
3. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
4. When Sookan goes to school, what can she not do?
5. Who teaches Sookan about Korean history and language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
2. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
3. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
4. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
5. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
6. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
7. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
8. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
9. Where are Sookan's siblings?
10. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)