|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
2. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
3. What were destroyed to make Shinto shrines?
4. What does Sookan rub on Grandfather once a day?
5. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
2. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
3. Describe Dobraski.
4. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
5. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
6. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
7. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
8. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
9. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
10. Where are Sookan's siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain ways in which Sookan's family resisted oppression, perhaps mentioning:
1) Haiwon's birthday
2) Sookan and Inchun being taught Korean language and culture
3) Escaping Communist rule
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the various forms of enslavement within the text, perhaps mentioning:
A) Spirit Girls
B) Labor camps
C) Child labor
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)