|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Aunt Tiger's husband?
2. Who tries to lift Inchun's spirits after the birthday feast is interrupted?
3. Who teaches Sookan about Korean history and language?
4. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
5. What birthday gift does Mother retrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
2. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
3. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
4. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
5. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
6. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
7. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
8. Describe the family business.
9. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
10. Where are Sookan's siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of compassion exhibited by characters within "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)