|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Japanese claim they are protecting Korea from?
2. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
3. What did the Japanese do to two of the towns the family had lived in?
4. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
5. What is a Spirit Girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
2. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
3. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
4. Where are Sookan's siblings?
5. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
6. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
7. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
8. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
9. Describe the family business.
10. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)