|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, whose birthday is coming up?
2. At school, who is nice to Sookan?
3. At school, who does Sookan have to stand next to in line?
4. After Grandfather's death, what is Captain Narita's complaint about the factory?
5. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
2. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
3. Describe the town meetings.
4. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
5. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
6. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
7. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
8. What happened in 1950?
9. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
10. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the theme of youth and its loss within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)