|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
2. What is Mother's religion?
3. What does Captain Narita do to punish Grandfather?
4. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
5. At school, who does Sookan have to stand next to in line?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
2. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
3. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
4. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
5. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
6. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
7. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
8. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
9. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
10. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the appearances of abuse within the text.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)