|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
2. What does Sookan want to plant?
3. What is in the bag Mother obtains?
4. What has happened to Aunt Tiger's husband?
5. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
2. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
3. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
4. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
5. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
6. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
7. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
8. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
9. Describe Haiwon.
10. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the appearances of abuse within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the complex human relationships as they appear in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)