|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
2. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
3. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
4. Who tries to cheer up Mother after Grandfather dies?
5. Who tries to lift Inchun's spirits after the birthday feast is interrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
2. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
3. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
4. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
5. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
6. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
7. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
8. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
9. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
10. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sookan's family members and their roles in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of compassion exhibited by characters within "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)