|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
2. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
3. Who tries to cheer up Mother after Grandfather dies?
4. What does "chun" mean?
5. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
2. Where are Sookan's siblings?
3. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
4. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
5. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
6. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
7. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
8. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
9. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
10. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the appearances of abuse within the text.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)