|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Kisa?
2. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
3. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
4. How many factory workers are saved by the person who tries to prevent them from being taken away?
5. Who gossips during breaks from factory work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
2. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
3. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
4. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
5. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
6. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
7. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
8. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
9. Describe the family business.
10. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)