|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sookan's favorite factory worker?
2. What do most Koreans eat?
3. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
4. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
5. What are the old family photographs kept in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
2. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
3. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
4. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
5. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
6. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
7. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
8. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
9. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
10. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the ways in which the Japanese and Russians attempted to control the Koreans, being sure to mention:
3) Forced labor.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of compassion exhibited by characters within "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)