|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Grandfather tortured before he was rescued?
2. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
3. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
4. What happens after Sookan is beaten at school?
5. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
2. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
3. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
4. Describe the family business.
5. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
6. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
7. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
8. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
9. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
10. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss examples of compassion exhibited by characters within "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)