|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
2. Who teaches Sookan about Korean history and language?
3. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
4. What does Grandfather do while the children are being told about their family?
5. What heirloom did Sookan's mother save?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
2. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
3. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
4. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
5. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
6. Describe Haiwon.
7. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
8. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
9. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
10. Describe the family business.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the complex human relationships as they appear in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the antagonists of the story, perhaps mentioning:
1) Captain Narita
2) Narita Sensei
3) Comrade Kim
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Sookan's education within the novel, mentioning:
1) Japanese school
2) Little Proletariat School
3) Grandfather's home lessons
4) Sookan's school in Seoul.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)