|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Japanese claim they are protecting Korea from?
2. At Japanese school, what do the students make?
3. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
4. Who asks Sookan and Inchun to wash Grandfather's feet?
5. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
2. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
3. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
4. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
5. Describe the family business.
6. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
7. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
8. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
9. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
10. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss symbolism used within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Korean history as it relates to the setting and story of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss life during a time of war as it appears within the novel.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)