|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not speak after Grandfather's death?
2. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
3. What do many of the women do who have been taken away to be Spirit Girls?
4. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
5. What did Grandfather used to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
2. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
3. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
4. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
5. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
6. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
7. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
8. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
9. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
10. Where are Sookan's siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Sookan and Inchun's journey from Pyongyang to Seoul and the dangers therein.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)