|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
2. What does "chun" mean?
3. What are the normal everyday dishes made of?
4. What is Mother's religion?
5. Where is there a radio hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
2. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
3. Where are Sookan's siblings?
4. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
5. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
6. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
7. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
8. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
9. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
10. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore and discuss the theme of youth and its loss within the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of freedom within the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss examples of social class divisions within the text, being sure to touch upon:
C) Prominence and wealth.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)