|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Kisa?
2. What happens when students wet their pants at school?
3. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
4. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
5. What are the old family photographs kept in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
2. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
3. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
4. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
5. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
6. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
7. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
8. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
9. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
10. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the setting in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" is pivotal to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explore and discuss the levels of sacrifice exhibited within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explore and discuss the narration used in "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)