|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) Dead bodies.
(b) Stockpiles of rice.
(c) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(d) A journal.
2. How is the guide who is to take the family south dressed?
(a) As an American soldier.
(b) As a peasant farmer.
(c) As a Japanese soldier.
(d) As a communist leader.
3. North Korea became Communist while South Korea became ___.
(d) A monarchy.
4. How does Mother finally reach the South?
(a) Via train.
(b) By crawling through a secret tunnel.
(c) It doesn't say.
(d) By hitching a ride on a convoy.
5. In the Worker's Paradise, what happens to traitors?
(b) They are killed.
(c) They are deported.
(d) They are re-conditioned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
2. Which word means "of course" in Korean?
3. Who dies after returning from a labor camp?
4. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
5. Who drives Sookan and Inchun from the guardhouse to the train staion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
2. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
3. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
4. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
5. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
6. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
8. What happened in 1950?
9. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
10. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)