|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
(c) While blindfolded.
(d) Using torture.
2. After the Japanese leave, what flies next to the Korean flag?
(a) A white flag.
(c) A Red Cross flag.
(d) The Russian flag.
3. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
(a) Train tickets.
(b) A new guide.
(c) An umbrella.
(d) Food wrapped in a hankerchief.
4. Where does the guide abandon Inchun and Sookan?
(a) In a field.
(b) At a bus station.
(c) At an inn.
(d) In a train car.
5. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
(a) Get jobs.
(b) Pray for Theresa's recovery.
(c) Plant flowers.
(d) Collect rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sookan crawls under the barbed wire fence?
2. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
3. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
4. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
5. While trying to flee to the South, where are Mother and the children separated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the town meetings.
2. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
3. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
4. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
5. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
6. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
8. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
9. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
10. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)