|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) They take a raft.
(b) They climb the train trestle.
(c) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
(d) They swim.
2. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
(a) Flee to the south.
(b) Become communists.
(c) Start a new sock factory.
(d) Plant a vegetable garden.
3. After Kisa returns from fetching medicine, what does the family dig up from under the house?
(a) Brightly colored Korean clothing.
(b) Their stockpile of rice.
(d) A dead cat.
4. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
(a) Warm jackets.
5. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
(c) Comrade Kim.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
2. Where is Korea divided in half?
3. Who is the nice soldier at the guardhouse?
4. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
5. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
2. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
3. What happened in 1950?
4. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
5. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
6. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
7. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
8. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
9. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
10. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)