|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nice Russian soldier give Sookan and Inchun?
(a) A comic book.
(c) Orange juice.
2. What year did war break out again in Korea?
3. While escaping to the South, why must Sookan and Inchun lie down in a cornfield?
(a) That is where they must sleep.
(b) To avoid the searchlight.
(c) To hide from the Japanese.
(d) To get good and muddy.
4. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
(b) They climb the train trestle.
(c) They swim.
(d) They take a raft.
5. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
(c) Mrs. Kim.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
2. After being invaded again, where does Sookan's family hide?
3. Who is the nice soldier at the guardhouse?
4. Who is Sookan reminded of when she looks at the soldiers that have broken into her house?
5. Where do Sookan and Inchun bravely go to look for their mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
2. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
3. When the family prepares to escape to the South, who stays behind and why?
4. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
5. Describe the town meetings.
6. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
7. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
8. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
9. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
10. After the Russians invade northern Korea, where is father and what is he doing?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)