|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) They climb the train trestle.
(b) They take a raft.
(c) They swim.
(d) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
2. What kind of club does Sookan start at her new school in Seoul?
(a) A poetry club.
(b) A survivors support group.
(c) A breakfast club.
(d) A drama club.
3. North Korea became Communist while South Korea became ___.
(d) A monarchy.
4. What does Inchun do after Mother is detained at the border?
(a) He cries.
(b) He runs and jumps on her.
(c) He acts as if nothing happened.
(d) Mother is not detained at the border.
5. How is the guide who is to take the family south dressed?
(a) As a Japanese soldier.
(b) As an American soldier.
(c) As a communist leader.
(d) As a peasant farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
2. Due to Kisa's heavy involvement with the Party, what does Sookan's family receive first?
3. If caught trying to flee to the South, what are the children to say they are doing?
4. What news does Kisa learn on his trip to get medicine?
5. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Kim.
2. Do you think that Korea is better off with the Russians than the Japanese?
3. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
4. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
5. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
6. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
7. After losing Mother at the guard station, who do Sookan and Inchun help in the market?
8. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
9. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
10. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)