|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the teacher of the Little Proletariat school?
(a) Comrade Natasha.
(b) Mrs. Kim.
(d) Narita Sensei.
2. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) They climb the train trestle.
(b) They take a raft.
(c) They swim.
(d) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
3. How is the guide who is to take the family south dressed?
(a) As a peasant farmer.
(b) As a communist leader.
(c) As a Japanese soldier.
(d) As an American soldier.
4. While trying to flee to the South, where are Mother and the children separated?
(a) In the train station.
(b) In a small corn field.
(c) In a mall.
(d) They are not separated.
5. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun get through the barbed wire fence?
(a) They use wire cutters.
(b) They dig a small space and crawl under.
(c) They climb over.
(d) They go around it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sookan and Inchun sleep while looking for their mother?
2. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
3. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
4. What year did war break out again in Korea?
5. What does Sookan's family give their guide as payment for taking them South?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "Worker's Paradise"?
2. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
3. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
4. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
5. How does the old man in the train station approach Sookan and Inchun?
6. What happened in 1950?
7. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
8. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
9. How does the conductor help Sookan and Inchun?
10. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)