|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Sookan and Inchun are almost to the South, what do they hear behind them?
(b) A train in the distance.
(c) Soldiers and dogs.
(d) Their mother's voice.
2. How is the guide who is to take the family south dressed?
(a) As a communist leader.
(b) As an American soldier.
(c) As a Japanese soldier.
(d) As a peasant farmer.
3. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
(b) Mrs. Kim.
4. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
(a) She gives them ears of corn.
(b) She doesn't pay them.
(c) She takes them home and gives them a bath.
(d) She gives them each a dollar.
5. Who is Sookan reminded of when she looks at the soldiers that have broken into her house?
(a) Father Carroll.
(b) Captain Narita.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
2. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
3. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to take a train back home?
4. In the Worker's Paradise, what happens to traitors?
5. Where does Kisa go to get medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
2. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
3. Describe how Sookan watches out for Inchun overnight in the barn.
4. After the Japanese evacuate, what happens to Unhi's brothers?
5. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
6. After losing Mother at the guard station, how do the children look?
7. What happened in 1950?
8. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
9. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
10. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)