|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(b) A journal.
(c) Stockpiles of rice.
(d) Dead bodies.
2. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
(a) Food wrapped in a hankerchief.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) A new guide.
(d) Train tickets.
3. Where do Inchun and Sookan try to spend the night while looking for their mother?
(a) The train station.
(b) The empty marketplace.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) In the woods.
4. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
5. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to take a train back home?
(b) The inn keeper.
(d) The Guide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the interrogation soldiers tell Sookan and Inchun to do?
2. Who is at home when Sookan's house is robbed?
3. While planning their escape, what job does the family undertake in their home?
4. Who dies after returning from a labor camp?
5. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the guide who is to lead the family to the South.
2. How do Aunt Tiger and Mother feel about Communism and why?
3. What is significant about Unhi's family and house?
4. Who helps Sookan and Inchun when they get across the border? How?
5. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
6. How are Inchun and Sookan interrogated by the Russians?
7. Why are the school children encouraged to talk about their home life?
8. What do you think is the real reason the guide wanted Mother to separate from Sookan and Inchun?
9. How does the old man at the train station help Sookan and Inchun?
10. Describe Dobraski.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)