|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Narita Sensei?
(a) A local gardener.
(b) A Japanese nun.
(c) Sookan's schoolteacher.
(d) Sookan's aunt.
2. What is wrong with Kisa?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is crippled.
(c) He smells bad.
(d) He is mute.
3. At Japanese school, what is against the rules to do?
(b) Make weapons.
(c) Praise the Japanese Emperor.
(d) Scrub the floor.
4. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
(a) Rice balls.
(c) Sprigs of pine.
(d) Licorice gum balls.
5. Who teaches Sookan about Korean history and language?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many of the women do who have been taken away to be Spirit Girls?
2. What is a Spirit Girl?
3. What is Grandfather missing on one hand?
4. Who is Father Carroll?
5. What does Grandfather do while the children are being told about their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Sookan's siblings?
2. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
3. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
4. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
5. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
6. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
7. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
8. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
9. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
10. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)