|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Japanese school, who beats Sookan?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
(d) Narita Sensei.
2. When Sookan goes to school, what can she not do?
(a) Wear shoes inside.
(b) Speak Korean.
(c) Eat sandwiches.
(d) Wear her hair in pigtails.
3. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
(a) Sookan's mother and father.
4. What do Sookan and Inchun water after the birthday feast debacle?
(a) The pine tree roots.
(b) The flowers.
(c) The shrubs.
(d) The rock garden.
5. Who gossips during breaks from factory work?
(b) Captain Narita.
(c) Aunt Tiger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose life does Captain Narita threaten?
2. What did the Japanese do to two of the towns the family had lived in?
3. Who introduced Mother to Catholicism?
4. In Chapter 2, whose birthday is coming up?
5. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
2. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
3. Describe Haiwon.
4. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
5. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
6. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
7. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
8. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
9. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
10. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)