|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At Japanese school, what is against the rules to do?
(a) Make weapons.
(b) Scrub the floor.
(c) Praise the Japanese Emperor.
2. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
(a) The rental company.
(b) Japanese soldiers.
(c) Mother sells it to the highest bidder and he takes it away.
(d) No one.
3. Who tries to cheer up Mother after Grandfather dies?
(a) Father Carroll.
(b) Captain Narita.
(c) Haiwon and Okja.
4. What is in the bag Mother obtains?
5. Whose life does Captain Narita threaten?
(a) Grandfather's life.
(b) Sookan's life.
(c) Haiwon's life.
(d) Inchun's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, whose birthday is coming up?
2. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
3. What is wrong with Grandfather's feet?
4. Who tries to fight back as the factory girls are being taken away to be Spirit Girls?
5. What does Mother trade for food?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
2. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
3. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
4. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
5. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
6. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
7. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
8. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
9. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
10. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)