|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sookan rub on Grandfather once a day?
(a) Lemon oil.
(b) Lavender essence.
(c) Vick's Vaporub.
2. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
(a) The police.
(b) The neighborhood kids.
(c) The sock girls.
(d) The nuns.
3. Who had captured and tortured Grandfather?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The Koreans.
4. At school, who is nice to Sookan?
(a) Narita Sensei.
(c) No one.
5. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
(a) Aunt Tiger's house.
(b) Theresa's convent.
(c) Japanese headquarters.
(d) Grandmother's store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What heirloom did Sookan's mother save?
2. What are the special feast dishes made of?
3. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
4. Who is Narita Sensei married to?
5. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
2. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
3. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
4. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
5. Describe the family business.
6. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
7. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
8. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
9. Where are Sookan's siblings?
10. What does the family do for Haiwon's birthday?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)