|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
(a) Why they don't like birthday parties.
(b) Why they smell funny.
(c) If they really do have godlike powers.
(d) If they have souls.
2. After Grandfather's death, what is Captain Narita's complaint about the factory?
(a) The Japanese army no longer needs socks.
(b) There is not enough productivity.
(c) The socks it produces are defective.
(d) The factory workers make too much noise.
3. Who tries to fight back as the factory girls are being taken away to be Spirit Girls?
(d) Uncle Tiger.
4. Who do the Japanese claim they are protecting Korea from?
(a) The Nigerians.
(b) The Eskimos.
(c) The White Devils.
(d) The Chinese.
5. What does Mother trade for food?
(a) Her silver hairpin.
(b) A kimono.
(d) Her last bracelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches the family having a feast?
2. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
3. At school, who does Sookan have to stand next to in line?
4. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
5. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
2. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
3. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
4. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
5. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
6. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
7. Describe Haiwon.
8. Describe the family business.
9. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
10. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)