|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cries tears of joy at the birthday feast?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
2. After Captain Narita says that he wants to take away the workers to be Spirit Girls, what does Mother do?
(a) Nods her head.
(b) Begs Captain Narita not to take the girls away.
(c) Encourages the workers to be good Spirit Girls.
(d) Suggests they should become nurses instead.
3. What does Sookan rub on Grandfather once a day?
(a) Vick's Vaporub.
(b) Lavender essence.
(d) Lemon oil.
4. At Japanese school, who beats Sookan?
(a) Narita Sensei.
(b) Aunt Tiger.
5. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
(b) It doesn't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the bag Mother obtains?
2. What do most Koreans eat?
3. Who catches the family having a feast?
4. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
5. Where is there a radio hidden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
2. What does the family do when they find out that the war is over?
3. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
4. What does the guide tell the children to do if their mother is captured? What do they actually do?
5. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
6. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
7. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
8. Describe Haiwon.
9. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
10. How does Mother eventually make it to the South?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)