|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sookan want to plant?
2. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
3. What is Grandfather missing on one hand?
(c) A thumb.
4. When Sookan goes to school, what can she not do?
(a) Speak Korean.
(b) Wear shoes inside.
(c) Wear her hair in pigtails.
(d) Eat sandwiches.
5. What does "chun" mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when students wet their pants at school?
2. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
3. During her first day at school, what is confiscated from Sookan at lunchtime?
4. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
5. What do Sookan and Inchun water after the birthday feast debacle?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
2. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
3. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
4. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
5. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
6. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
7. Describe the family business.
8. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
9. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
10. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)