|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do most Koreans eat?
(a) Wheat bread.
(d) Millet and barley.
2. Whose life does Captain Narita threaten?
(a) Sookan's life.
(b) Haiwon's life.
(c) Grandfather's life.
(d) Inchun's life.
3. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
(d) Sookan's mother and father.
4. What were destroyed to make Shinto shrines?
(a) Public parks.
(b) Hindu shrines.
(c) Buddhist shrines.
5. Who tries to prevent Sookan and Inchun from washing Grandfather's feet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mother's religion?
2. What did the Japanese do to two of the towns the family had lived in?
3. Who is Narita Sensei?
4. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
5. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
2. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
3. Where are Sookan's siblings?
4. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
5. Describe the family business.
6. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
7. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
8. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
9. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
10. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)