|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Captain Narita says that he wants to take away the workers to be Spirit Girls, what does Mother do?
(a) Begs Captain Narita not to take the girls away.
(b) Nods her head.
(c) Suggests they should become nurses instead.
(d) Encourages the workers to be good Spirit Girls.
2. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
(b) It doesn't say.
3. What are the normal everyday dishes made of?
4. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(d) Sookan and Inchun.
5. What is wrong with Kisa?
(a) He smells bad.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He is mute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the special feast dishes made of?
2. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
3. After being beaten at school, who is taking care of Sookan when she wakes up?
4. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
5. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
2. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
3. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
4. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
5. What does Captain Narita do to punish the family for having a party?
6. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
7. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
8. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
9. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
10. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)