|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the bag Mother obtains?
2. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(a) Grandmother helps cook meals.
(b) Theresa helps with the housework.
(c) Haiwon helps manage the sock factory.
(d) Sookan and Inchun help make, sort, and fold socks.
3. What do most Koreans eat?
(b) Millet and barley.
(d) Wheat bread.
4. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
(b) A doctor.
(c) Aunt Tiger.
5. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
(a) Why they don't like birthday parties.
(b) If they have souls.
(c) Why they smell funny.
(d) If they really do have godlike powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Narita take away the factory workers?
2. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
3. When Sookan goes to school, what does she not know how to do?
4. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
5. How long was Grandfather tortured before he was rescued?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, what has happened to Kisa and Aunt Tiger?
2. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
3. Describe the town meetings.
4. What does Aunt Tiger do to ease suspicions about the family's true opinion about Communism? How well does it work out?
5. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
6. After the Japanese have left and the Russians invade, why doesn't America come to help the Koreans in the North?
7. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
8. Why don't most of the Korean people know when the war is over?
9. Why does Mother give up her hairpin and what does she get for it?
10. Describe the uniform of the proletariat.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)