|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
(a) The police.
(b) The neighborhood kids.
(c) The sock girls.
(d) The nuns.
2. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
(a) Sell their house.
(b) Send Sookan to school.
(c) Start a new factory.
(d) Begin farming.
3. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(a) Grandmother helps cook meals.
(b) Haiwon helps manage the sock factory.
(c) Sookan and Inchun help make, sort, and fold socks.
(d) Theresa helps with the housework.
4. What do most Koreans eat?
(b) Wheat bread.
(c) Millet and barley.
5. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
(a) Aunt Tiger.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being beaten at school, who is taking care of Sookan when she wakes up?
2. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
3. Who do the Japanese claim they are protecting Korea from?
4. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan think she is being punished?
5. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
2. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
3. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
4. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
5. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
6. Describe Haiwon.
7. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
8. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
9. When Kisa is beaten by the Japanese army, how could this be seen as a metaphor for the Korean people?
10. Describe the family business.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)