|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do many of the women do who have been taken away to be Spirit Girls?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Join the army.
(d) Become nurses.
2. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
(b) Aunt Tiger.
(c) A doctor.
3. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(a) Grandmother helps cook meals.
(b) Theresa helps with the housework.
(c) Haiwon helps manage the sock factory.
(d) Sookan and Inchun help make, sort, and fold socks.
4. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
(c) Aunt Tiger.
5. How long was Grandfather tortured before he was rescued?
(a) Several months.
(b) A year.
(c) Two days.
(d) A week.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
2. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan think she is being punished?
3. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
4. What do most Koreans eat?
5. Who is Father Carroll?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
2. Who is Father Carroll, and why is he important?
3. What do the factory workers try to do to prevent being taken away to become Spirit Girls?
4. Why does Sookan wonder if the Japanese have god-like powers?
5. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
6. What happens when Captain Narita finds the family having a birthday party?
7. How does Mother obtain gifts and food for Haiwon's party?
8. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
9. Where are Sookan's siblings?
10. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)