|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had captured and tortured Grandfather?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Koreans.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Japanese.
2. What are the old family photographs kept in?
(a) A fire-damaged box.
(b) A photo album.
(c) A pillow case.
(d) An envelope.
3. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
(a) Send Sookan to school.
(b) Sell their house.
(c) Start a new factory.
(d) Begin farming.
4. What is Grandfather missing on one hand?
(c) A thumb.
5. After Grandfather's death, who does Sookan think is punishing her?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the factory supervisor?
2. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
3. Who does not speak after Grandfather's death?
4. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
5. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sookan try to cheer up Inchun after the pine tree is cut down?
2. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
3. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
4. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
5. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
6. Describe Haiwon.
7. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan feel that she is being punished and by who?
8. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
9. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
10. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)