|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Throw away his shoes.
(c) Help him escape to a convent.
(d) Participate in a ritual fast.
2. Who is Father Carroll?
(a) A homeless man.
(b) A University professor.
(c) Sookan's step-father.
(d) An American missionary.
3. After Grandfather's death, who does Sookan think is punishing her?
(d) No one.
4. During her first day at school, what does Sookan do at lunch?
(a) She sneaks home.
(b) She takes a nap.
(c) She shares her food.
(d) She reads a Korean novel.
5. How many factory workers are saved by the person who tries to prevent them from being taken away?
(a) Half of them.
(d) All of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduced Mother to Catholicism?
2. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
3. At Japanese school, who beats Sookan?
4. What does "chun" mean?
5. What does Sookan rub on Grandfather once a day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Unhi helps Sookan at school.
2. Describe Mother after Grandfather's death.
3. What happens at lunch during Sookan's first day at school?
4. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
5. Do you think that it was wise of Grandfather to meditate under the tree?
6. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
7. Why don't the Sock Girls run away when Mother tells them to?
8. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
9. Why do you think Mother did not want Inchun and Sookan to rub Grandfather's feet?
10. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)