|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What special food does Mother get for the birthday feast?
(d) Ice Cream.
2. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wish for the first time in her life?
(a) She was dead.
(b) She had never been born.
(c) She was Japanese.
(d) She was pretty.
3. Who tries to prevent Sookan and Inchun from washing Grandfather's feet?
4. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
(a) A giving tree.
(b) A ficus.
(c) A weeping willow.
(d) A pine.
5. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
(a) Send Sookan to school.
(b) Begin farming.
(c) Sell their house.
(d) Start a new factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
2. In what city does "Year of Impossible Goodbyes" take place?
3. Who is the factory supervisor?
4. What has happened to Aunt Tiger's husband?
5. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes."
2. Who is Sookan's teacher at school, and why is this significant?
3. What did Grandfather used to wear, and why did he have to get rid of it?
4. Why does Grandfather listen to Mother tell the children their family history?
5. Why is Sookan expelled from school?
6. What does Sookan learn by rubbing Grandfather's feet?
7. Who is the first person to ever beat Sookan and why?
8. Why is Mother's hairpin significant?
9. What is significant about the names of Sookan's brothers?
10. What will probably happen if the factory workers become Spirit Girls?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)