|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
(d) Comrade Kim.
2. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
(a) Starting a Seoul branch of the Communist Party.
(b) Helping Northerners escape.
(c) Attending universities.
(d) Working as cabis.
3. As Sookan and Inchun are almost to the South, what do they hear behind them?
(a) Their mother's voice.
(b) Soldiers and dogs.
(c) A train in the distance.
4. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
(b) Warm jackets.
5. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
(c) Mrs. Kim.
6. What does the old man at the train station give to Sookan and Inchun?
(a) A spanking.
(b) Special tickets.
(c) Clean socks.
(d) Directions on how to get home.
7. Using his job as a cover, what does Sookan's father do?
(a) Helps people escape to the South.
(b) Recruits new Communists.
(c) Grows extra beans.
(d) Poisons Communist food.
8. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
(a) The Yellow Pages representative.
(b) The Red Cross information center.
(c) Russian soldiers.
9. Which word means "of course" in Korean?
10. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
(b) While blindfolded.
(c) Using torture.
11. Unhi's family is ___.
12. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
(a) An umbrella.
(b) Food wrapped in a hankerchief.
(c) A new guide.
(d) Train tickets.
13. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) Stockpiles of rice.
(b) Dead bodies.
(c) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(d) A journal.
14. Mother is waiting for the return of ___ from a labor camp.
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her husband and sons.
15. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the interrogation soldiers tell Sookan and Inchun to do?
2. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
3. After the Japanese leave, what flies next to the Korean flag?
4. In the Worker's Paradise, what must each person do every night?
5. Where does the guide abandon Inchun and Sookan?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)