|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
2. After the Japanese leave, what flies next to the Korean flag?
(a) A Red Cross flag.
(c) A white flag.
(d) The Russian flag.
3. While trying to flee to the South, where are Mother and the children separated?
(a) In a small corn field.
(b) They are not separated.
(c) In a mall.
(d) In the train station.
4. After reaching the South, how do Inchun and Sookan get to Seoul?
(a) By bus.
(b) They walk.
(c) They fly in a helicopter.
(d) By train.
5. Mother is waiting for the return of ___ from a labor camp.
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her husband and sons.
6. What is the uniform in the Worker's Paradise?
(a) Kimono and clogs.
(b) Jeans and an apron.
(c) White shirt, black pants, and red scarf.
(d) There isn't a uniform.
7. What does Sookan's family give their guide as payment for taking them South?
(a) Sookan's first-born child.
(b) A bag of vegetables.
(d) Verbal thanks.
8. While planning their escape, what job does the family undertake in their home?
(a) Making posters and flags.
(b) Making shoes.
(c) Composing new Communist songs.
(d) Growing vegetables.
9. What animals do Sookan and Inchun see at the guardhouse while searching for Mother?
10. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
11. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
(b) The Yellow Pages representative.
(c) Russian soldiers.
(d) The Red Cross information center.
12. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
(c) Comrade Kim.
13. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
(b) They climb the train trestle.
(c) They take a raft.
(d) They swim.
14. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
(a) Haiwon's family.
(b) Unhi's family.
(c) Kisa's family.
(d) Sookan's family.
15. Due to Kisa's heavy involvement with the Party, what does Sookan's family receive first?
(c) New scarves.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
2. Where does Kisa go to get medicine?
3. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
4. In the summertime, who gets sick?
5. After reaching the South, who immediately helps Sookan and Inchun?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)