|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While escaping to the South, what cuts Sookan's feet?
(a) Metal rivets.
(b) Random shards of glass.
(d) Freshly-cut cornstalks.
2. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
3. In the Worker's Paradise, what happens to traitors?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They are deported.
(d) They are re-conditioned.
4. Which word means "of course" in Korean?
5. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
(a) While blindfolded.
(c) Using torture.
6. Who is the nice soldier at the guardhouse?
7. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(b) A journal.
(c) Stockpiles of rice.
(d) Dead bodies.
8. Who tells Sookan and Inchun about the police who monitor the train station?
(a) No one.
(c) An old man.
(d) The mother from the market.
9. Who drives Sookan and Inchun from the guardhouse to the train staion?
(a) The inn keeper.
(b) The old man with a broom.
(c) The young mother from the market.
10. In the Worker's Paradise, what must each person do every night?
(a) Salute the Korean flag.
(b) Praise American liberators.
(c) Attend town meetings.
(d) Sweep their porch.
11. What does Sookan's family give their guide as payment for taking them South?
(a) Sookan's first-born child.
(b) Verbal thanks.
(c) A bag of vegetables.
12. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun get through the barbed wire fence?
(a) They go around it.
(b) They climb over.
(c) They use wire cutters.
(d) They dig a small space and crawl under.
13. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
(a) Talk about their families.
(b) Learn Spanish.
(c) Talk about their personal goals.
(d) Learn about other cultures.
14. While planning their escape, what job does the family undertake in their home?
(a) Making posters and flags.
(b) Making shoes.
(c) Growing vegetables.
(d) Composing new Communist songs.
15. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
(a) Attending universities.
(b) Helping Northerners escape.
(c) Working as cabis.
(d) Starting a Seoul branch of the Communist Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unhi's family is ___.
2. After Sookan and Inchun reach Seoul, what kind of business does Father start?
3. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
4. North Korea became Communist while South Korea became ___.
5. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)