|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Japanese leave, what job does Sookan's father have?
(a) He is a butcher.
(b) He is a Communist Party leader.
(c) He transports goods between the North and South.
(d) He is a farmer.
2. What does Sookan's family give their guide as payment for taking them South?
(a) Sookan's first-born child.
(b) A bag of vegetables.
(d) Verbal thanks.
3. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
4. How do Sookan and Inchun help a young mother at the market?
(a) They watch for thieves.
(b) They recruit customers.
(c) They cook for her.
(d) They babysit.
5. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
(c) A new jacket.
(d) A fake passport.
6. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) Dead bodies.
(b) Stockpiles of rice.
(c) A journal.
(d) A secret Buddhist shrine.
7. What do Sookan and Inchun do after they have crossed the barbed wire fence into the South?
(a) Sleep in the grass.
(c) Shout taunts at the soldiers following them.
(d) Do a happy dance.
8. What does Inchun do after Mother is detained at the border?
(a) He runs and jumps on her.
(b) He acts as if nothing happened.
(c) Mother is not detained at the border.
(d) He cries.
9. Using his job as a cover, what does Sookan's father do?
(a) Grows extra beans.
(b) Helps people escape to the South.
(c) Poisons Communist food.
(d) Recruits new Communists.
10. Who drives Sookan and Inchun from the guardhouse to the train staion?
(a) The old man with a broom.
(b) The young mother from the market.
(c) The inn keeper.
11. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
(a) Learn about other cultures.
(b) Learn Spanish.
(c) Talk about their families.
(d) Talk about their personal goals.
12. While searching for Mother, why does Sookan try to stay awake at night?
(a) She likes to count her mosquito bites.
(b) To stand guard for Inchun.
(c) She likes to look at the stars.
(d) She is not tired.
13. As Sookan and Inchun are almost to the South, what do they hear behind them?
(a) A train in the distance.
(b) Soldiers and dogs.
(d) Their mother's voice.
14. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
(a) While blindfolded.
(b) Using torture.
15. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
(a) Pray for Theresa's recovery.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Collect rocks.
(d) Plant flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems more dedicated to Mother Russia than the Russians?
2. North Korea became Communist while South Korea became ___.
3. Unhi's family is ___.
4. Where do Inchun and Sookan try to spend the night while looking for their mother?
5. While planning their escape, what job does the family undertake in their home?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)