|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(b) A journal.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) Stockpiles of rice.
2. What is the uniform in the Worker's Paradise?
(a) Jeans and an apron.
(b) Kimono and clogs.
(c) There isn't a uniform.
(d) White shirt, black pants, and red scarf.
3. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
(b) They swim.
(c) They take a raft.
(d) They climb the train trestle.
4. Unhi's family is ___.
5. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
(d) Hong Kong.
6. Where is Korea divided in half?
(a) Korea is divided in half?
(b) Through the middle of Pyongyang.
(c) Through the middle of Seoul.
(d) At the thirty-eighth parallel.
7. What happened to Aunt Tiger's children?
(a) They were sent to America.
(b) They are already in the South.
(c) They were killed by the Japanese.
(d) She never had any.
8. Who dies after returning from a labor camp?
(b) Unhi's brothers.
9. Which word means "of course" in Korean?
10. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
(a) The conductor.
(b) The guide.
(c) The inn keeper.
(d) The young mother from the market.
11. Where do Sookan and Inchun bravely go to look for their mother?
(c) The guardhouse.
(d) A brothel.
12. After the Japanese leave, who supposedly will take care of the Koreans?
(a) Chinese missionaries.
(c) Mother Russia.
(d) Big Brother.
13. What do the interrogation soldiers tell Sookan and Inchun to do?
(a) Flee to Manchuria.
(b) Flee to Seoul.
(c) Go home.
(d) Stay at the guardhouse and wait for Mother.
14. While escaping to the South, why does Sooken take off her shoes?
(a) She is stuck in quicksand and must escape.
(b) To make less noise while she runs.
(c) She likes the way the mud squishes between her toes.
(d) She trades them for train tickets.
15. Who is at home when Sookan's house is robbed?
(a) Sookan and Inchun.
(b) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sookan and Inchun help a young mother at the market?
2. Instead of "Town Reds," what does Aunt Tiger call the family?
3. Who joins the Party in hopes of relieving any suspicions about Sookan's family?
4. What do Sookan and Inchun do after they have crossed the barbed wire fence into the South?
5. What animals do Sookan and Inchun see at the guardhouse while searching for Mother?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)