|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man at the train station give to Sookan and Inchun?
(a) A spanking.
(b) Special tickets.
(c) Directions on how to get home.
(d) Clean socks.
2. After Kisa returns from fetching medicine, what does the family dig up from under the house?
(a) Their stockpile of rice.
(c) Brightly colored Korean clothing.
(d) A dead cat.
3. After being invaded again, where does Sookan's family hide?
(a) In a tree.
(b) At the convent.
(c) In a silo.
(d) In the house.
4. What happens to Hansin's family after he tells his teachers at school that a stranger came to visit one night?
(a) He is given an award.
(c) They all disappear.
(d) He becomes a School Red.
5. At the town meetings, who is depicted in the portraits that are hung on the wall?
(a) Stalin and Lenin.
(b) Mozart and Beethoven.
(c) Atilla the Hun.
(d) Pat Morita and Jackie Chan.
6. While escaping to the South, why must Sookan and Inchun lie down in a cornfield?
(a) To avoid the searchlight.
(b) To get good and muddy.
(c) That is where they must sleep.
(d) To hide from the Japanese.
7. If caught trying to flee to the South, what are the children to say they are doing?
(a) Going to see their dying grandmother.
(c) They are lost.
(d) Fleeing to the South.
8. How is the guide who is to take the family south dressed?
(a) As a Japanese soldier.
(b) As a peasant farmer.
(c) As an American soldier.
(d) As a communist leader.
9. Due to Kisa's heavy involvement with the Party, what does Sookan's family receive first?
(d) New scarves.
10. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
11. How do Sookan and Inchun help a young mother at the market?
(a) They babysit.
(b) They watch for thieves.
(c) They recruit customers.
(d) They cook for her.
12. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
13. While escaping to the South, why does Sooken take off her shoes?
(a) To make less noise while she runs.
(b) She is stuck in quicksand and must escape.
(c) She trades them for train tickets.
(d) She likes the way the mud squishes between her toes.
14. Unhi's family is ___.
15. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
(b) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Inchun and Sookan try to spend the night while looking for their mother?
2. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
3. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
4. Who is the teacher of the Little Proletariat school?
5. Who stays behind when the family flees to the South?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)