|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Kisa learn on his trip to get medicine?
(a) The war is over.
(b) The rice crops are failing.
(c) The Korean president has died.
(d) Theresa is dying.
2. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
(a) They swim.
(b) They take a raft.
(c) They climb the train trestle.
(d) The walk over a fallen tree trunk.
3. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
(a) The young mother from the market.
(b) The conductor.
(c) The guide.
(d) The inn keeper.
4. If caught trying to flee to the South, what are the children to say they are doing?
(a) They are lost.
(b) Going to see their dying grandmother.
(c) Fleeing to the South.
5. In the summertime, who gets sick?
6. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
7. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
(a) Flee to the south.
(b) Start a new sock factory.
(c) Become communists.
(d) Plant a vegetable garden.
8. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun get through the barbed wire fence?
(a) They use wire cutters.
(b) They go around it.
(c) They dig a small space and crawl under.
(d) They climb over.
9. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) Stockpiles of rice.
(b) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(c) A journal.
(d) Dead bodies.
10. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
(a) Hong Kong.
11. Why can't Sookan and Inchun stay at the inn?
(a) They have no money.
(b) They were not invited.
(c) It is not clean.
(d) It is not safe.
12. What gets stolen from Sookan's house?
13. Instead of "Town Reds," what does Aunt Tiger call the family?
(a) Town Black Sheep.
(b) Phony Reds or Pinks.
(c) Country Reds.
14. After Sookan and Inchun reach Seoul, what kind of business does Father start?
(a) A sock factory.
(b) An accounting firm.
(c) A soy sauce factory.
(d) A fortune cookie bakery.
15. What happens to Hansin's family after he tells his teachers at school that a stranger came to visit one night?
(b) He becomes a School Red.
(c) They all disappear.
(d) He is given an award.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at home when Sookan's house is robbed?
2. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
3. Who is Sookan reminded of when she looks at the soldiers that have broken into her house?
4. While trying to flee to the South, where are Mother and the children separated?
5. While planning their escape, what job does the family undertake in their home?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)