|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
(a) Attending universities.
(b) Working as cabis.
(c) Starting a Seoul branch of the Communist Party.
(d) Helping Northerners escape.
2. If caught trying to flee to the South, what are the children to say they are doing?
(a) They are lost.
(c) Going to see their dying grandmother.
(d) Fleeing to the South.
3. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
(a) Plant a vegetable garden.
(b) Flee to the south.
(c) Become communists.
(d) Start a new sock factory.
4. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
(b) A new jacket.
(c) A fake passport.
5. Using his job as a cover, what does Sookan's father do?
(a) Poisons Communist food.
(b) Helps people escape to the South.
(c) Grows extra beans.
(d) Recruits new Communists.
6. Who stays behind when the family flees to the South?
(a) No one.
(d) Kisa and Aunt Tiger.
7. As Sookan and Inchun are almost to the South, what do they hear behind them?
(a) Their mother's voice.
(b) Soldiers and dogs.
(c) A train in the distance.
8. While escaping to the South, why must Sookan and Inchun lie down in a cornfield?
(a) To avoid the searchlight.
(b) That is where they must sleep.
(c) To get good and muddy.
(d) To hide from the Japanese.
9. Who tells Sookan and Inchun about the police who monitor the train station?
(a) The mother from the market.
(b) No one.
(c) An old man.
10. At the town meetings, who is depicted in the portraits that are hung on the wall?
(a) Atilla the Hun.
(b) Mozart and Beethoven.
(c) Pat Morita and Jackie Chan.
(d) Stalin and Lenin.
11. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(b) Dead bodies.
(c) Stockpiles of rice.
(d) A journal.
12. What do the interrogation soldiers tell Sookan and Inchun to do?
(a) Go home.
(b) Flee to Seoul.
(c) Stay at the guardhouse and wait for Mother.
(d) Flee to Manchuria.
13. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
14. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
(a) Plant flowers.
(b) Pray for Theresa's recovery.
(c) Collect rocks.
(d) Get jobs.
15. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
(c) Comrade Kim.
Short Answer Questions
1. While escaping to the South, what cuts Sookan's feet?
2. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
3. After reaching the South, who immediately helps Sookan and Inchun?
4. Who is at home when Sookan's house is robbed?
5. While at the guardhouse, Sookan and Inchun are interrogated ___.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)