|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Sookan and Inchun stay at the inn?
(a) It is not clean.
(b) They were not invited.
(c) They have no money.
(d) It is not safe.
2. After the Japanese leave, who invades Korea?
(c) The United States.
3. After Sookan and Inchun reach Seoul, what kind of business does Father start?
(a) An accounting firm.
(b) A sock factory.
(c) A fortune cookie bakery.
(d) A soy sauce factory.
4. What does the nice Russian soldier give Sookan and Inchun?
(c) Orange juice.
(d) A comic book.
5. At the town meetings, who is depicted in the portraits that are hung on the wall?
(a) Stalin and Lenin.
(b) Atilla the Hun.
(c) Mozart and Beethoven.
(d) Pat Morita and Jackie Chan.
6. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
(a) Helping Northerners escape.
(b) Attending universities.
(c) Working as cabis.
(d) Starting a Seoul branch of the Communist Party.
7. What happens to Hansin's family after he tells his teachers at school that a stranger came to visit one night?
(b) They all disappear.
(c) He is given an award.
(d) He becomes a School Red.
8. After reaching the South, how do Inchun and Sookan get to Seoul?
(a) By train.
(b) They fly in a helicopter.
(c) By bus.
(d) They walk.
9. How does Mother finally reach the South?
(a) It doesn't say.
(b) By crawling through a secret tunnel.
(c) By hitching a ride on a convoy.
(d) Via train.
10. What is the uniform in the Worker's Paradise?
(a) There isn't a uniform.
(b) Jeans and an apron.
(c) Kimono and clogs.
(d) White shirt, black pants, and red scarf.
11. What animals do Sookan and Inchun see at the guardhouse while searching for Mother?
12. North Korea became Communist while South Korea became ___.
(a) A monarchy.
13. While escaping to the South, what cuts Sookan's feet?
(a) Freshly-cut cornstalks.
(c) Random shards of glass.
(d) Metal rivets.
14. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
(b) Mrs. Kim.
15. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
(a) Learn about other cultures.
(b) Learn Spanish.
(c) Talk about their families.
(d) Talk about their personal goals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
2. Where is Korea divided in half?
3. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
4. Who is the teacher of the Little Proletariat school?
5. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)