|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
(b) A new jacket.
(c) A fake passport.
2. How does Mother finally reach the South?
(a) By crawling through a secret tunnel.
(b) By hitching a ride on a convoy.
(c) Via train.
(d) It doesn't say.
3. While escaping to the South, why must Sookan and Inchun lie down in a cornfield?
(a) That is where they must sleep.
(b) To get good and muddy.
(c) To hide from the Japanese.
(d) To avoid the searchlight.
4. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
(a) Stockpiles of rice.
(b) A secret Buddhist shrine.
(c) Dead bodies.
(d) A journal.
5. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
(b) Comrade Kim.
6. At the town meetings, who is depicted in the portraits that are hung on the wall?
(a) Pat Morita and Jackie Chan.
(b) Atilla the Hun.
(c) Mozart and Beethoven.
(d) Stalin and Lenin.
7. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
(a) Learn Spanish.
(b) Talk about their personal goals.
(c) Talk about their families.
(d) Learn about other cultures.
8. What does Sookan's family give their guide as payment for taking them South?
(b) Verbal thanks.
(c) A bag of vegetables.
(d) Sookan's first-born child.
9. What happens when Sookan crawls under the barbed wire fence?
(b) She gets cut.
(c) She breaks the fence.
(d) She dies.
10. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
(a) Pray for Theresa's recovery.
(b) Get jobs.
(c) Collect rocks.
(d) Plant flowers.
11. What gets stolen from Sookan's house?
12. After the Japanese leave, what job does Sookan's father have?
(a) He is a butcher.
(b) He is a farmer.
(c) He is a Communist Party leader.
(d) He transports goods between the North and South.
13. What do Sookan and Inchun do after they have crossed the barbed wire fence into the South?
(a) Shout taunts at the soldiers following them.
(b) Do a happy dance.
(c) Sleep in the grass.
14. Where do Inchun and Sookan try to spend the night while looking for their mother?
(a) In the woods.
(b) The empty marketplace.
(c) The train station.
(d) In a corn field.
15. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
(a) Start a new sock factory.
(b) Become communists.
(c) Plant a vegetable garden.
(d) Flee to the south.
Short Answer Questions
1. While searching for Mother, why does Sookan try to stay awake at night?
2. Who seems more dedicated to Mother Russia than the Russians?
3. Who is the teacher of the Little Proletariat school?
4. Who makes arrangements for Sookan's family to flee to the South?
5. After reaching the South, who immediately helps Sookan and Inchun?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)