|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sookan's family plan to do when her father and brothers return home?
(a) Flee to the south.
(b) Start a new sock factory.
(c) Plant a vegetable garden.
(d) Become communists.
2. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
(c) A fake passport.
(d) A new jacket.
3. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
(a) The inn keeper.
(b) The young mother from the market.
(c) The guide.
(d) The conductor.
4. After the Japanese leave, who supposedly will take care of the Koreans?
(b) Big Brother.
(c) Mother Russia.
(d) Chinese missionaries.
5. At the Little Proletariat School, what are the children given as an incentive to talk about their families?
(c) Warm jackets.
6. Which word means "of course" in Korean?
7. Who drives Sookan and Inchun from the guardhouse to the train staion?
(a) The old man with a broom.
(b) The inn keeper.
(d) The young mother from the market.
8. In the Worker's Paradise, what must each person do every night?
(a) Sweep their porch.
(b) Salute the Korean flag.
(c) Attend town meetings.
(d) Praise American liberators.
9. At the town meeting, what color is the scarf everyone is given to wear?
10. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
(c) Hong Kong.
11. Where is Korea divided in half?
(a) Through the middle of Seoul.
(b) At the thirty-eighth parallel.
(c) Korea is divided in half?
(d) Through the middle of Pyongyang.
12. When Inchun and Sookan reach Seoul, what are their brothers doing?
(a) Attending universities.
(b) Starting a Seoul branch of the Communist Party.
(c) Helping Northerners escape.
(d) Working as cabis.
13. In the summertime, who gets sick?
14. What is the uniform in the Worker's Paradise?
(a) Jeans and an apron.
(b) Kimono and clogs.
(c) White shirt, black pants, and red scarf.
(d) There isn't a uniform.
15. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
(a) She doesn't pay them.
(b) She gives them ears of corn.
(c) She gives them each a dollar.
(d) She takes them home and gives them a bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
2. After Sookan and Inchun reach Seoul, what kind of business does Father start?
3. How do Sookan and Inchun help a young mother at the market?
4. While escaping to the South, what cuts Sookan's feet?
5. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)