|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Sookan's family payment for the guide?
(a) Comrade Kim.
2. Who seems more dedicated to Mother Russia than the Russians?
(b) The Communist Koreans.
(c) The Americans.
3. What do the interrogation soldiers tell Sookan and Inchun to do?
(a) Flee to Seoul.
(b) Go home.
(c) Flee to Manchuria.
(d) Stay at the guardhouse and wait for Mother.
4. After the Japanese leave, who invades Korea?
(d) The United States.
5. While escaping to the South, what cuts Sookan's feet?
(a) Random shards of glass.
(b) Metal rivets.
(c) Freshly-cut cornstalks.
6. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
(b) Mrs. Kim.
7. Why can't Sookan and Inchun stay at the inn?
(a) They have no money.
(b) It is not safe.
(c) It is not clean.
(d) They were not invited.
8. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
(a) A new guide.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) Food wrapped in a hankerchief.
(d) Train tickets.
9. Where is Korea divided in half?
(a) Through the middle of Seoul.
(b) At the thirty-eighth parallel.
(c) Through the middle of Pyongyang.
(d) Korea is divided in half?
10. After the Japanese leave, who supposedly will take care of the Koreans?
(a) Mother Russia.
(c) Chinese missionaries.
(d) Big Brother.
11. After Korea is invaded again, where are most young men sent?
12. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
13. Mother is waiting for the return of ___ from a labor camp.
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her husband and sons.
(c) Her brother.
14. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
(c) A fake passport.
(d) A new jacket.
15. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
(a) They are wearing hospital gowns.
(b) They have swollen eyes and cough a lot.
(c) They are covered with mosquito bites.
(d) They are skinny and smell bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in the house where Captain Narita lived?
2. Using his job as a cover, what does Sookan's father do?
3. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun cross the river?
4. What gets stolen from Sookan's house?
5. How do Sookan and Inchun help a young mother at the market?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)