|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose family actually owns the home that Captain Narita had been living in?
(a) Unhi's family.
(b) Haiwon's family.
(c) Sookan's family.
(d) Kisa's family.
2. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
(a) They are skinny and smell bad.
(b) They are covered with mosquito bites.
(c) They are wearing hospital gowns.
(d) They have swollen eyes and cough a lot.
3. How does the young mother at the market pay Sookan and Inchun for their help?
(a) She gives them ears of corn.
(b) She doesn't pay them.
(c) She takes them home and gives them a bath.
(d) She gives them each a dollar.
4. While being interrogated in the guardhouse, where do the children say they are going?
(b) Hong Kong.
5. As Sookan and Inchun are almost to the South, what do they hear behind them?
(a) Soldiers and dogs.
(b) A train in the distance.
(c) Their mother's voice.
6. Instead of "Town Reds," what does Aunt Tiger call the family?
(b) Town Black Sheep.
(c) Country Reds.
(d) Phony Reds or Pinks.
7. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
(a) Russian soldiers.
(b) The Yellow Pages representative.
(c) The Red Cross information center.
8. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to take a train back home?
(b) The Guide.
(c) The inn keeper.
9. What news does Kisa learn on his trip to get medicine?
(a) Theresa is dying.
(b) The war is over.
(c) The Korean president has died.
(d) The rice crops are failing.
10. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
(a) Learn Spanish.
(b) Learn about other cultures.
(c) Talk about their personal goals.
(d) Talk about their families.
11. Who tells Sookan and Inchun to go to the back of the train and crawl underneath?
(a) The young mother from the market.
(b) The guide.
(c) The inn keeper.
(d) The conductor.
12. After Kisa returns from fetching medicine, what does the family dig up from under the house?
(a) Their stockpile of rice.
(c) Brightly colored Korean clothing.
(d) A dead cat.
13. What is the uniform in the Worker's Paradise?
(a) There isn't a uniform.
(b) Jeans and an apron.
(c) Kimono and clogs.
(d) White shirt, black pants, and red scarf.
14. Which word means "of course" in Korean?
15. Who takes pity on Sookan and Inchun and tells them to meet him at the train station later that night?
(c) The young mother from the market.
(d) An old man with a broom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the guide abandon Inchun and Sookan?
2. While searching for Mother, why does Sookan try to stay awake at night?
3. What does the old man at the train station give to Sookan and Inchun?
4. In the Worker's Paradise, what must each person do every night?
5. Who stays behind when the family flees to the South?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)