|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inn keeper give Sookan and Inchun?
(a) A new guide.
(b) Food wrapped in a hankerchief.
(c) An umbrella.
(d) Train tickets.
2. While escaping to the South, how do Sookan and Inchun get through the barbed wire fence?
(a) They dig a small space and crawl under.
(b) They climb over.
(c) They go around it.
(d) They use wire cutters.
3. Who is the first person in the story to embrace Communism?
(c) Mrs. Kim.
4. When Sookan looks after Inchun, what does he call her?
5. After Kisa's trip to retrieve medicine, what do Sookan and Inchun do?
(a) Collect rocks.
(b) Plant flowers.
(c) Pray for Theresa's recovery.
(d) Get jobs.
6. Who joins the Party in hopes of relieving any suspicions about Sookan's family?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
(b) No one.
7. While searching for Mother, why does Sookan try to stay awake at night?
(a) She is not tired.
(b) She likes to count her mosquito bites.
(c) To stand guard for Inchun.
(d) She likes to look at the stars.
8. While searching for their mother, why do Inchun and Sookan look diseased?
(a) They are skinny and smell bad.
(b) They are wearing hospital gowns.
(c) They have swollen eyes and cough a lot.
(d) They are covered with mosquito bites.
9. In the Worker's Paradise, what must each person do every night?
(a) Sweep their porch.
(b) Salute the Korean flag.
(c) Attend town meetings.
(d) Praise American liberators.
10. Who is at home when Sookan's house is robbed?
(b) No one.
(d) Sookan and Inchun.
11. While escaping to the South, why does Sooken take off her shoes?
(a) She likes the way the mud squishes between her toes.
(b) To make less noise while she runs.
(c) She trades them for train tickets.
(d) She is stuck in quicksand and must escape.
12. Where is Korea divided in half?
(a) At the thirty-eighth parallel.
(b) Through the middle of Pyongyang.
(c) Through the middle of Seoul.
(d) Korea is divided in half?
13. How is Kisa related to Sookan's family?
(a) He is not related.
(b) He is Father's nephew.
(c) He is Mother's brother.
(d) He is Aunt Tiger's husband.
14. What happens to Hansin's family after he tells his teachers at school that a stranger came to visit one night?
(a) He is given an award.
(c) They all disappear.
(d) He becomes a School Red.
15. At Little Proletariat School, what are the children encouraged to do?
(a) Learn Spanish.
(b) Talk about their families.
(c) Learn about other cultures.
(d) Talk about their personal goals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Tiger give to Mother before the family flees to the South?
2. Who is Sookan reminded of when she looks at the soldiers that have broken into her house?
3. After the Japanese leave, what flies next to the Korean flag?
4. After reaching the South, who helped Sookan and Inchun locate Father's address?
5. Where do Sookan and Inchun sleep while looking for their mother?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)