|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sookan want to plant?
2. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wish for the first time in her life?
(a) She was Japanese.
(b) She was pretty.
(c) She had never been born.
(d) She was dead.
3. Who watches Grandfather meditate?
(d) Aunt Tiger.
4. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
(b) Sookan's mother and father.
5. What happens to the person who tries to save the factory workers form being taken away?
(a) He is beaten.
(b) He is taken away also.
(c) He is killed.
6. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
(d) It doesn't say.
7. What has happened to Aunt Tiger's husband?
(a) She was never married.
(b) He is probably dead.
(c) He divorced her.
(d) He is in America.
8. Who is Father Carroll?
(a) A homeless man.
(b) An American missionary.
(c) A University professor.
(d) Sookan's step-father.
9. Who is Narita Sensei?
(a) A local gardener.
(b) Sookan's schoolteacher.
(c) A Japanese nun.
(d) Sookan's aunt.
10. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
(a) A ficus.
(b) A weeping willow.
(c) A pine.
(d) A giving tree.
11. Who cries tears of joy at the birthday feast?
(c) Aunt Tiger.
12. What does Grandfather do while the children are being told about their family?
13. What did Grandfather used to have?
(a) A topknot.
(b) A kimono.
(c) Ninja pants.
(d) A wok.
14. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
(a) The rental company.
(b) No one.
(c) Mother sells it to the highest bidder and he takes it away.
(d) Japanese soldiers.
15. Who tries to lift Inchun's spirits after the birthday feast is interrupted?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to prevent Sookan and Inchun from washing Grandfather's feet?
2. What heirloom did Sookan's mother save?
3. Who is the factory supervisor?
4. What are the old family photographs kept in?
5. When Sookan goes to school, what does she not know how to do?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)