|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What heirloom did Sookan's mother save?
(a) A hairpin.
(b) A painting.
(c) A tablecloth.
(d) A bracelet.
2. What birthday gift does Mother retrieve?
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A book.
(d) A radio.
3. At school, who is nice to Sookan?
(a) No one.
(c) Narita Sensei.
4. Who is Narita Sensei married to?
(b) No one.
(d) Captain Narita.
5. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
(a) Give him a bath.
(b) Oil his skin.
(c) Feed him broth.
(d) Brush his hair.
6. What do most Koreans eat?
(c) Millet and barley.
(d) Wheat bread.
7. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(c) Sookan and Inchun.
8. Who does Sookan hate?
(d) Captain Narita.
9. Who introduced Mother to Catholicism?
(a) Father Carroll.
10. After Grandfather's death, who does Sookan think is punishing her?
(c) No one.
11. Who wrote "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
(a) Sook Nyul Choi.
(b) Yu Hua.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) Banana Yoshimoto.
12. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
(a) The sock girls.
(b) The nuns.
(c) The police.
(d) The neighborhood kids.
13. What did the Japanese do to two of the towns the family had lived in?
(a) Quarantined them.
(b) Turned them into big cities.
(c) Looted them.
(d) Burned them.
14. What is made in the family factory?
15. Who had captured and tortured Grandfather?
(a) The Japanese.
(b) The Koreans.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Grandfather's death, what is Captain Narita's complaint about the factory?
2. Who tries to lift Inchun's spirits after the birthday feast is interrupted?
3. What does Grandfather do while the children are being told about their family?
4. After Captain Narita says that he wants to take away the workers to be Spirit Girls, what does Mother do?
5. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)