|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sookan's favorite factory worker?
2. After Grandfather's death, what is Captain Narita's complaint about the factory?
(a) The socks it produces are defective.
(b) The Japanese army no longer needs socks.
(c) The factory workers make too much noise.
(d) There is not enough productivity.
3. What are the old family photographs kept in?
(a) A photo album.
(b) A fire-damaged box.
(c) A pillow case.
(d) An envelope.
4. Who is the factory supervisor?
5. Who wrote "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
(a) Banana Yoshimoto.
(b) Yu Hua.
(c) Amy Tan.
(d) Sook Nyul Choi.
6. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wish for the first time in her life?
(a) She was dead.
(b) She was pretty.
(c) She had never been born.
(d) She was Japanese.
7. What happens when students wet their pants at school?
(a) They must scrub the floor.
(b) They are sent home.
(c) They are given diapers.
(d) They have to change their clothes.
8. What does Captain Narita do to punish Grandfather?
(a) Steal his shoes.
(b) Have the pine tree cut down.
(c) Beat him with a switch.
(d) Kill him.
9. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
10. After the workers are taken away, who takes away all the factory equipment?
(a) The rental company.
(b) Japanese soldiers.
(c) Mother sells it to the highest bidder and he takes it away.
(d) No one.
11. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
(a) Sell their house.
(b) Start a new factory.
(c) Send Sookan to school.
(d) Begin farming.
12. What happens after Sookan is beaten at school?
(a) She goes to the principals office.
(c) She is compensated financially.
(d) She is expelled.
13. Who tries to fight back as the factory girls are being taken away to be Spirit Girls?
(b) Uncle Tiger.
14. Who does not speak after Grandfather's death?
(c) Aunt Tiger.
15. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
(b) A doctor.
(c) Aunt Tiger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Aunt Tiger's husband?
2. What do many of the women do who have been taken away to be Spirit Girls?
3. What heirloom did Sookan's mother save?
4. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
5. What are the special feast dishes made of?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)