|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
(c) It doesn't say.
2. Where is Theresa?
(a) In the army.
(b) At a convent.
(c) In America.
(d) In a brothel.
3. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
(b) Licorice gum balls.
(c) Sprigs of pine.
(d) Rice balls.
4. What does the family do to soothe Grandfather while he is sick?
(a) Brush his hair.
(b) Oil his skin.
(c) Give him a bath.
(d) Feed him broth.
5. Who catches the family having a feast?
(b) Aunt Tiger.
(c) Captain Narita.
6. After Captain Narita says that he wants to take away the workers to be Spirit Girls, what does Mother do?
(a) Begs Captain Narita not to take the girls away.
(b) Encourages the workers to be good Spirit Girls.
(c) Nods her head.
(d) Suggests they should become nurses instead.
7. Who tries to prevent Sookan and Inchun from washing Grandfather's feet?
8. What do Sookan and Inchun water after the birthday feast debacle?
(a) The shrubs.
(b) The pine tree roots.
(c) The rock garden.
(d) The flowers.
9. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
(a) Aunt Tiger's house.
(b) Theresa's convent.
(c) Grandmother's store.
(d) Japanese headquarters.
10. Who had captured and tortured Grandfather?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Japanese.
(c) The Koreans.
(d) The Americans.
11. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
(a) Help him escape to a convent.
(b) Participate in a ritual fast.
(c) Throw away his shoes.
(d) Kill him.
12. After Grandfather's death, why does Sookan think she is being punished?
(a) Because she killed Grandfather.
(b) Because she hates Captain Narita.
(c) Because she stole rice.
(d) Because she has angered Mother.
13. What is made in the family factory?
14. At Japanese school, who beats Sookan?
(a) Aunt Tiger.
(c) Narita Sensei.
15. After the birthday feast, who hauls wood away from the family's yard?
(a) The neighborhood kids.
(b) The police.
(c) The nuns.
(d) The sock girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Japanese would not let ___ visit Grandfather as he was sick and dying.
2. Who is the factory supervisor?
3. What type of tree does Grandfather meditate under?
4. Whose life does Captain Narita threaten?
5. What is a Spirit Girl?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)