|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
(a) Licorice gum balls.
(b) Sprigs of pine.
(c) Rice balls.
2. Who teaches Sookan about Korean history and language?
(b) Aunt Tiger.
3. What happens to the person who tries to save the factory workers form being taken away?
(b) He is beaten.
(c) He is taken away also.
(d) He is killed.
4. At Japanese school, what is against the rules to do?
(b) Make weapons.
(c) Scrub the floor.
(d) Praise the Japanese Emperor.
5. Where is there a radio hidden?
(a) In Aunt Tiger's wig.
(b) In the basement of the convent,
(c) In the sock factory.
(d) In Grandfather's bottom drawer.
6. After Grandfather's death, what is done to help make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(a) Theresa helps with the housework.
(b) Sookan and Inchun help make, sort, and fold socks.
(c) Grandmother helps cook meals.
(d) Haiwon helps manage the sock factory.
7. What is a Spirit Girl?
(a) A spiritual advisor.
(b) A massage therapist.
(c) A cheerleader.
(d) A sex slave.
8. What birthday gift does Mother retrieve?
(b) A book.
(c) A radio.
(d) A bracelet.
9. After Grandfather's death, who does Sookan think is punishing her?
(c) No one.
10. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wonder about the Japanese?
(a) If they really do have godlike powers.
(b) If they have souls.
(c) Why they smell funny.
(d) Why they don't like birthday parties.
11. After being caught having a feast, what does Grandfather ask the family to do?
(a) Throw away his shoes.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Help him escape to a convent.
(d) Participate in a ritual fast.
12. Where does Mother travel to in order to get a birthday gift?
(a) Aunt Tiger's house.
(b) Theresa's convent.
(c) Japanese headquarters.
(d) Grandmother's store.
13. What is Mother's religion?
14. After Grandfather's death, who tries to make up for Mother's absent-mindedness?
(a) Sookan and Inchun.
15. Whose life does Captain Narita threaten?
(a) Haiwon's life.
(b) Inchun's life.
(c) Sookan's life.
(d) Grandfather's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Father Carroll?
2. What are the normal everyday dishes made of?
3. What did the Japanese do to two of the towns the family had lived in?
4. What happens after Sookan is beaten at school?
5. What does Sookan rub on Grandfather once a day?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)