|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Grandfather want to tell the children about their family?
(d) Aunt Tiger.
2. After being beaten at school, who is taking care of Sookan when she wakes up?
(b) Narita Sensei.
3. After the factory is shut down, what is the family ordered to do?
(a) Send Sookan to school.
(b) Sell their house.
(c) Begin farming.
(d) Start a new factory.
4. At school, who does Sookan have to stand next to in line?
(b) Narita Sensei.
5. What heirloom did Sookan's mother save?
(a) A painting.
(b) A hairpin.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) A tablecloth.
6. After the birthday feast is interrupted, what does Sookan wish for the first time in her life?
(a) She had never been born.
(b) She was Japanese.
(c) She was dead.
(d) She was pretty.
7. How many factory workers are saved by the person who tries to prevent them from being taken away?
(c) All of them.
(d) Half of them.
8. Who used to publish an underground newspaper for Korean independence?
(c) Sookan's mother and father.
9. What is made in the family factory?
10. What do most Koreans eat?
(a) Wheat bread.
(b) Millet and barley.
11. During her first day at school, what does Sookan do at lunch?
(a) She takes a nap.
(b) She reads a Korean novel.
(c) She sneaks home.
(d) She shares her food.
12. Who is Narita Sensei?
(a) A Japanese nun.
(b) A local gardener.
(c) Sookan's schoolteacher.
(d) Sookan's aunt.
13. What birthday gift does Mother retrieve?
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A radio.
(d) A book.
14. Who teaches Sookan about Korean history and language?
(b) Aunt Tiger.
15. What happens after Sookan is beaten at school?
(a) She is compensated financially.
(c) She is expelled.
(d) She goes to the principals office.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of "Year of Impossible Goodbyes"?
2. What is Grandfather missing on one hand?
3. Who is Sookan's favorite factory worker?
4. What "gifts" do Sookan and Inchun give all the factory workers?
5. Who tries to cheer up Mother after Grandfather dies?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)