|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When approaching an enemy, raiders tend to avoid which of the following?
2. Which is the first tribe referenced in Chapter 7?
3. Which is not part of the trading network?
4. Who explains the way a successful raid is determined?
5. What would result from Chagnon not visiting all tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the activities in larger tribes in regards to killing and adultery.
2. Discuss the three main ways in which alliances are formed between tribes.
3. What has changed about the living quarters of the Yanomamo people?
4. What major event had great impact on the culture? Why?
5. During what time period is Chagnon absent from the villages?
6. Explain the fear involved in men marching off to a raid or to war.
7. Explain how food fits into the typical trading scenario.
8. Why do the tribal leaders lie to each other?
9. What are some alternate names for the Mishimishimabowei-teri tribe?
10. How many people has Moawa killed? How is he viewed by his people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Yanomamo's beliefs about evil spirits. How do the evil spirits affect the tribe? Are there scientific explanations for the occurrences? If so, what might they be? Give examples of occurrences that cannot be explained by science. What might have been the cause of the occurrences? What does the tribe do to cast out evil spirits? Are there any forms of protection against them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Kaobawa of the Bisaasi-teri tribe and Moawa of the Mishimishimabowei-teri tribe.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chagnon's desire to create a census and genealogy of the Yanomamo. What types of questions might the author ask? From whom would Chagnon get the best information? How could the author be sure that the information was accurate? Create a sample page of an entry in Chagnon's log book. Include all pertinent information about the tribal member.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)