|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A feast must include which of the following?
2. What word can be used to describe tribes that do trade women?
3. What are tribes apt to do to gain peace?
4. In what year did Chagnon return to the tribes?
5. A raid is considered to be successful if how many of one's own people are killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed about medical care for the Yanomamo?
2. How many people has Moawa killed? How is he viewed by his people?
3. Explain how food fits into the typical trading scenario.
4. What is the name for men who have killed? What is their place in the social sphere?
5. During what time period is Chagnon absent from the villages?
6. Discuss items given in trade and how they affect the relationships between tribes.
7. Why do the tribal leaders lie to each other?
8. Who does Kaobawa choose to go along on the trip?
9. What are the alternatives to fighting, according to Chapter 6? How many are there?
10. Explain how violence affects various members of the tribe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the Yanomamo concept of the cosmos, heaven and hell. How are their views different from your own? How do they differ from other religions?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay or short story in which people are forced to resort to cannibalism in order to survive a horrific natural disaster. If non-fiction, cite sources.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Yanomamo's beliefs about evil spirits. How do the evil spirits affect the tribe? Are there scientific explanations for the occurrences? If so, what might they be? Give examples of occurrences that cannot be explained by science. What might have been the cause of the occurrences? What does the tribe do to cast out evil spirits? Are there any forms of protection against them? Explain.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)