|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rerebawa is known to be which of the following?
2. One young man is angry that Chagnon keeps what in his computer?
3. What is expected to be installed to assist in the new influx of people?
4. One tribe is almost always _______ to/with another.
5. Missionaries are most likely to have which item?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed about medical care for the Yanomamo?
2. How many people has Moawa killed? How is he viewed by his people?
3. What are some alternate names for the Mishimishimabowei-teri tribe?
4. Why do the tribal leaders lie to each other?
5. Explain how violence affects various members of the tribe.
6. What has changed about the living quarters of the Yanomamo people?
7. What is the name for men who have killed? What is their place in the social sphere?
8. Discuss items given in trade and how they affect the relationships between tribes.
9. What are the most common reasons for declaring war?
10. Explain how food fits into the typical trading scenario.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most coveted positions in a tribe is that of a shaman, also known as a shabori or hekura. What is the purpose of a shaman? How is a shaman different than other members of the tribe? What duties are different? Does a shaman perform any work? What does one have to do to become a shaman? How long does the process take? Do you know any shamans?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay or short story in which people are forced to resort to cannibalism in order to survive a horrific natural disaster. If non-fiction, cite sources.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Yanomamo's beliefs about evil spirits. How do the evil spirits affect the tribe? Are there scientific explanations for the occurrences? If so, what might they be? Give examples of occurrences that cannot be explained by science. What might have been the cause of the occurrences? What does the tribe do to cast out evil spirits? Are there any forms of protection against them? Explain.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)