|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Violent men are often rewarded for which attribute?
2. Who explains the way a successful raid is determined?
3. What may happen to visitors upon entering the village?
4. What number is estimated by Chagnon of Yanomamo people that have died?
5. The theft of what type of food is cause for warfare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of avoiding the use of fire on the expedition?
2. What is Chagnon's opinion of an outbreak of violence during a feast?
3. Name one of the most significant changes in the relationship between the Yanomamo and foreigners.
4. What major event had great impact on the culture? Why?
5. What are the alternatives to fighting, according to Chapter 6? How many are there?
6. What are some alternate names for the Mishimishimabowei-teri tribe?
7. What has changed about the living quarters of the Yanomamo people?
8. What is Chagnon's view of the peacemaking efforts between the two tribes?
9. What is the name for men who have killed? What is their place in the social sphere?
10. Explain what takes place when a visitor or visiting tribe arrives for a feast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most coveted positions in a tribe is that of a shaman, also known as a shabori or hekura. What is the purpose of a shaman? How is a shaman different than other members of the tribe? What duties are different? Does a shaman perform any work? What does one have to do to become a shaman? How long does the process take? Do you know any shamans?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Yanomamo's beliefs about evil spirits. How do the evil spirits affect the tribe? Are there scientific explanations for the occurrences? If so, what might they be? Give examples of occurrences that cannot be explained by science. What might have been the cause of the occurrences? What does the tribe do to cast out evil spirits? Are there any forms of protection against them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay or short story in which people are forced to resort to cannibalism in order to survive a horrific natural disaster. If non-fiction, cite sources.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)