|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group tends to have the largest tribes?
2. Which is an early morning activity?
3. The term "brother" is often used to describe:
4. For the tribes everything is put into which two categories?
5. To which tribe does the helper belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "noreshi?" Why is it important?
2. Examine the process of becoming a shaman. What are other terms for shaman?
3. What is the common practice in regards to sharing within the tribe?
4. Describe the basic facts of the Yanomamo.
5. Describe the work ethic of the tribe.
6. Explain the Yanomamo concept of babies and their souls.
7. Describe the climate and how it affects the tribe.
8. Discuss the mortality rate, its cause and resolution.
9. What is the main dietary staple of the tribes?
10. Describe how a girl is treated at the onset of the menstrual cycle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Yanomamo's beliefs about evil spirits. How do the evil spirits affect the tribe? Are there scientific explanations for the occurrences? If so, what might they be? Give examples of occurrences that cannot be explained by science. What might have been the cause of the occurrences? What does the tribe do to cast out evil spirits? Are there any forms of protection against them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How do women ensure their own safety? How do women ensure the safety of their children? Which are most likely to be captured? Is there anyone above capture? If so, who? Why are those people above capture?
Essay Topic 3
Amongst the tribes, thievery is common, although it is often referred to as "borrowing." Examine the moral aspects of this behavior and how it affects the relationships in the tribe as well as those with other villages.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)