|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective is often used to describe tribal women?
2. What represents the spirit of a woman?
3. What is an important part of the tribe's mythology?
4. What is taken by men who must venture outside the village during war?
5. Tribe members jealously guard which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the process of becoming a shaman. What are other terms for shaman?
2. In what other ways is poison used?
3. What are the Yanomamo views on cannibalism?
4. Examine morning routines during peace and war times.
5. What are the hallucinogens used and how are they prepared?
6. What is the main dietary staple of the tribes?
7. What types of food would most likely be found in the tribe's gardens?
8. How do the Yanomamo separate everything on earth?
9. Describe the Yanomamo language.
10. What is a "noreshi?" Why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine why it was an important event when Chagnon was given a tribal name. Also examine why it was significant when Chagnon received a second and different name. Why did Chagnon feel honored? How would you have felt in the author's shoes?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay or short story in which people are forced to resort to cannibalism in order to survive a horrific natural disaster. If non-fiction, cite sources.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the Yanomamo's jealousy and absolute secrecy regarding their names and the names of their dead. Compare and contrast those beliefs to those of the Native Americans. Also reference sacred burial grounds.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)