|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Without tobacco" translates to the word:
2. What is the last month of the dry season?
3. What is the Yanomamo word for "brother-in-law?"
4. Where does the female counterpart live?
5. Which group tends to have the largest tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the climate and how it affects the tribe.
2. Describe the basic facts of the Yanomamo.
3. Discuss the location and traveling habits of the Bisaasi-teri tribe.
4. Explain the Yanomamo concept of babies and their souls.
5. Describe the Yanomamo language.
6. What is the basic explanation of the Yanomamo cosmos?
7. Explain the basic structure of the village including the shabono.
8. What is the main dietary staple of the tribes?
9. In what other ways is poison used?
10. How might a woman deal with an abusive husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the Yanomamo's jealousy and absolute secrecy regarding their names and the names of their dead. Compare and contrast those beliefs to those of the Native Americans. Also reference sacred burial grounds.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the Yanomamo concept of the cosmos, heaven and hell. How are their views different from your own? How do they differ from other religions?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the hierarchy of women within the tribe. Who has the most power? Who is most revered? Who has the least power? Are there special factors or positions in regards to the females in the group? Explain.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)