|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the vocation of the dwarf offended by the Fool in the bar?
2. Who reports that Tomjohn and his companions have come to put on a play?
3. Which character in Felmet's play is overcome by stage fright?
4. Who decides to commission a play?
5. How far back does the "woman in the funny hat" tell Tomjohn and his troupe they must go back?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Fool change Lady Felmet's mind about his strategy to fight the witches with rhetoric? What idea does the Fool's explanation give Lady Felmet?
2. Where does Granny expect to find Tomjon and why?
3. The Fool convinces Felmet to fight the witches with rhetoric. How does Lady Felmet initially feel about this?
4. Why does Tomjon refuse the kingship?
5. What makes the muggers that Tomjon and Hwel witness not quite so bad?
6. Explain how Magrat becomes a witch.
7. How do the real witches decide they can ethically change the course of the play at Lancre?
8. Who speaks up when Felmet orders the witches arrested again? What claim upsets Felmet after he orders them arrested?
9. Why does Magrat's broom fall from the sky during Granny's plan to intervene in the government?
10. What upsets the ghost King Verence during the performance at Lancre?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. The three types of irony are verbal, situational, and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected, and what actually occurs with your examples?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between static and dynamic characters in literature. Specifically discuss Granny and Felmet. Identify which was static and which was dynamic, and discuss how each character fits the definition.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the author's choice of grammatical tense in Wyrd Sisters. Define the three types of tenses, and explain how they are typically identified.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)