|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Nelly working when Mr. Lockwood visits in Chapter 32?
2. What word from Chapter 33 refers to the inner drive that causes a person to perform actions against his or her will?
3. What does Cathy insist to Linton that she wishes he were in Chapter 23?
4. How long ago does Mrs. Dean tell Mr. Lockwood these events occurred in the beginning of Chapter 25?
5. Who is the lawyer that Edgar sends for in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Linton described in Chapter 19? How does Catherine feel about him?
2. What happens when Cathy disappears in Chapter 18? Where is she found?
3. How does Nelly respond to Catherine's disobedience in Chapter 18?
4. What leads to Catherine's change of heart regarding visiting the Heights in Chapter 22?
5. What causes the uproar when Catherine and Hareton rearrange the garden at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 33?
6. How does Linton behave during Catherine and Nelly's visit in Chapter 26?
7. How does Catherine feel about her father's return with her cousin in Chapter 19?
8. What leads to the encounter between Catherine and Heathcliff in the beginning of Chapter 21?
9. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 21? How does Nelly handle the matter?
10. How does Cathy obtain Nelly's letter in Chapter 31? What does she tell Mr. Lockwood regarding a response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of women’s oppression in Wuthering Heights. What are some examples of situations in the novel where a woman is forced into a choice whereas she might have more options if she were a man? What criticisms did the novel receive when it was published in this regard? What were the rights, expectations, and social roles of women in the 18th and early 19th centuries in England?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Thrushcross Grange in the novel. How far is Thrushcross Grange from Wuthering Heights? What is the foliage like around the estate? How old is this house? What kind of atmosphere do you sense regarding the setting in Chapter 1? What role does this setting play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Victorian beliefs regarding the supernatural and the depictions of the supernatural in Wuthering Heights. What were common beliefs during this period in regards to ghosts and haunting? Do you think that the readers of Victorian England would have believed it possible to be haunted by a ghost? How do you think reader perceptions differ today?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)