|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose union does Heathcliff say it is his intention to oversee in Chapter 21?
2. How much younger is Linton than Cathy?
3. What word from Chapter 29 refers to a cord made from the dried intestines of animals and used in stringing musical instruments and tennis rackets?
4. What word from Chapter 20 refers to a unfortunate or unhappy person?
5. What does Heathcliff tell Nelly he intends to do with Thrushcross Grange in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changed appearance and demeanor of Heathcliff prior to his death in Chapter 34?
2. How does Mrs. Dean describe Cathy's behavior after the death of Linton in Chapter 30?
3. When does Chapter 32 take place? What does Mr. Lockwood encounter when he approaches Wuthering Heights?
4. How does Nelly respond to Catherine's disobedience in Chapter 18?
5. How does Linton behave during Catherine and Nelly's visit in Chapter 26?
6. How does Cathy obtain Nelly's letter in Chapter 31? What does she tell Mr. Lockwood regarding a response?
7. What causes the uproar when Catherine and Hareton rearrange the garden at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 33?
8. What causes the conflict between Catherine and Linton in Chapter 23? How is the conflict resolved?
9. What happens when Cathy disappears in Chapter 18? Where is she found?
10. How is Linton described in Chapter 19? How does Catherine feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of revenge in Wuthering Heights. What causes Heathcliff to vow revenge on Hindley? How does Heathcliff enact revenge on Edgar during Christmas dinner? How significant do you think revenge is as a motive in literature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the transformation that Heathcliff undergoes in the end of the novel. What are Nelly’s perceptions of the changes in Heathcliff? Do you think that Heathcliff reaches happiness after he dies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Mr. Lockwood in the novel. How old is Mr. Lockwood? Why did he come to live at Thrushcross Grange? Where did he live prior to this? What are Mr. Lockwood’s impressions of his host at Wuthering Heights? What do you think is the significance of Mr. Lockwood’s name?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)