|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is Linton from his home when Catherine and Nelly meet him in Chapter 25?
2. Where does Nelly say that Catherine and Hareton will live after they marry in Chapter 34?
3. How does Mrs. Dean say that Edgar Linton died in Chapter 28?
4. What item of Catherine's does Linton describe Heathcliff smashing in Chapter 28?
5. When does Linton tell Cathy they are to be married when she is locked in his house in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cathy beg of Nelly after her confession in Chapter 24? How does Nelly respond?
2. How is Linton described in Chapter 19? How does Catherine feel about him?
3. Why does Edgar consent to allow Cathy to make a visit to Linton in Chapter 25? Is this a wise choice?
4. Where does Linton meet Cathy and Nelly in Chapter 26? Why does he meet them at this location?
5. How does Linton behave during Catherine and Nelly's visit in Chapter 26?
6. What causes the uproar when Catherine and Hareton rearrange the garden at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 33?
7. What leads to Catherine's change of heart regarding visiting the Heights in Chapter 22?
8. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changed appearance and demeanor of Heathcliff prior to his death in Chapter 34?
9. What leads to the encounter between Catherine and Heathcliff in the beginning of Chapter 21?
10. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the characters of Hindley Earnshaw and Heathcliff. What is the root of the rivalry that develops between Heathcliff and Hindley? How does this rivalry escalate? What efforts might have been made to change their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Thrushcross Grange in the novel. How far is Thrushcross Grange from Wuthering Heights? What is the foliage like around the estate? How old is this house? What kind of atmosphere do you sense regarding the setting in Chapter 1? What role does this setting play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the transformation that Heathcliff undergoes in the end of the novel. What are Nelly’s perceptions of the changes in Heathcliff? Do you think that Heathcliff reaches happiness after he dies? Why or why not?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)