|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heathcliff say he feels about his son when he first sees him in Chapter 20?
2. Whom does Linton exhibit great fear of in Chapter 26?
3. What does Heathcliff do when Cathy attempts to get the key from him and escape his house in Chapter 27?
4. Who is the maid that Linton calls for in Chapter 23?
5. What animal does Heathcliff forbid Catherine taking with her to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cathy obtain Nelly's letter in Chapter 31? What does she tell Mr. Lockwood regarding a response?
2. What leads to the encounter between Catherine and Heathcliff in the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. What happens when Cathy disappears in Chapter 18? Where is she found?
4. How does Cathy feel about her visit to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 27? Why?
5. How does Mrs. Dean describe the encounter between Catherine and Linton at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 23?
6. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 21? How does Nelly handle the matter?
7. When does Chapter 32 take place? What does Mr. Lockwood encounter when he approaches Wuthering Heights?
8. Where is Linton taken in Chapter 20? How does he feel about his circumstances?
9. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 24?
10. How does Mrs. Dean describe Cathy's behavior after the death of Linton in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Mrs. Nelly Dean in Wuthering Heights. How old is Mrs. Dean when she relates the history of the estate to Mr. Lockwood? When did Nelly come to live at the estate? What relationship did Nelly have with each of the Catherines in the story? Do you consider Nelly to be a likeable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of religion, morality, and hypocrisy seen in Wuthering Heights. Which of these themes do you think is represented by Joseph’s character? Why? How do the themes of religion and morality interconnect? How do they differ? Who behaves in a hypocritical manner in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the transformation that Catherine undergoes while staying with the Lintons. How do the Lintons treat Catherine differently than her own family? How do the Lintons go about creating these changes in Catherine’s demeanor? What imagery is used to illustrate this change?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)