|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long does Edgar go away in order to see Isabella as she is dying in Chapter 18?
2. Who is the lawyer that Edgar sends for in Chapter 28?
3. How does Cathy injure Linton in Chapter 23?
4. Who comes looking for Catherine and Nelly at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 27?
5. What does Catherine begin picking when Linton falls asleep in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 21? How does Nelly handle the matter?
2. How does Cathy obtain Nelly's letter in Chapter 31? What does she tell Mr. Lockwood regarding a response?
3. What does Heathcliff reveal about his future plans to Nelly in Chapter 29?
4. How does Heathcliff describe his duties to and expectations of his son in Chapter 20?
5. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changed appearance and demeanor of Heathcliff prior to his death in Chapter 34?
6. What does Nelly reveal to Edgar after escaping Wuthering Heights in Chapter 28? How does Edgar respond?
7. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 24?
8. Where is Linton taken in Chapter 20? How does he feel about his circumstances?
9. Where does Linton meet Cathy and Nelly in Chapter 26? Why does he meet them at this location?
10. Why does Edgar consent to allow Cathy to make a visit to Linton in Chapter 25? Is this a wise choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of Heathcliff’s early childhood in Wuthering Heights. Where does Mr. Earnshaw find Heathcliff? How is Heathcliff’s appearance described? Based on the author’s descriptions of Heathcliff as a child, what is his likely history prior to being discovered by Mr. Lockwood? Do you think it is appropriate for Mr. Lockwood to bring the child home?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Heathcliff’s role as “the outsider” in Wuthering Heights. In what ways does Heathcliff differ in appearance from his adopted siblings at the Earnshaw home? Is Heathcliff treated differently due to his appearance? How does Heathcliff differ in terms of his education, manners, and social expectations? How does this influence his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Victorian beliefs regarding the supernatural and the depictions of the supernatural in Wuthering Heights. What were common beliefs during this period in regards to ghosts and haunting? Do you think that the readers of Victorian England would have believed it possible to be haunted by a ghost? How do you think reader perceptions differ today?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)