|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heathcliff tell Nelly he intends to do with Thrushcross Grange in Chapter 29?
2. Where does Nelly discover Cathy's hidden letters in Chapter 21?
3. At what time does Mr. Lockwood arrive at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 31?
4. Who comes looking for Catherine and Nelly at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 27?
5. Why does Catherine say she cannot reply to Nelly's letter in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cathy feel about her visit to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 27? Why?
2. What leads to the encounter between Catherine and Heathcliff in the beginning of Chapter 21?
3. How does Cathy obtain Nelly's letter in Chapter 31? What does she tell Mr. Lockwood regarding a response?
4. How is Linton described in Chapter 19? How does Catherine feel about him?
5. How does Nelly respond to Catherine's disobedience in Chapter 18?
6. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 21? How does Nelly handle the matter?
7. When does Chapter 32 take place? What does Mr. Lockwood encounter when he approaches Wuthering Heights?
8. How does Mrs. Dean describe Cathy's behavior after the death of Linton in Chapter 30?
9. How has Cathy's relationship with Linton progressed in Chapter 25?
10. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of Wuthering Heights as perceived by Isabella in her letter to Nelly in Chapter 13. How do the inhabitants of the estate treat Isabella, in her words? What conveniences is Isabella lacking at Wuthering Heights that she formerly was accustomed to? What is a comparative situation that you might imagine experiencing in today’s world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Heathcliff’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the pursuit of his revenge. Why does Heathcliff choose this particular point in time to kidnap Nelly and Catherine? How does this further his objective of revenge?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the plot structure of Wuthering Heights. Where in the narrative do the following occur: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement? How traditionally structured is the story? How does the author develop tension toward the climax?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)