|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month is it when Catherine and Nelly depart to visit Linton in the beginning of Chapter 27?
2. For how long does Edgar go away in order to see Isabella as she is dying in Chapter 18?
3. How old does Nelly tell Cathy she is when Cathy begins crying on their walk in Chapter 22?
4. What month is it when Catherine convinces her father to let her meet Linton in the land between their estates in Chapter 25?
5. What does Cathy insist to Linton that she wishes he were in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine feel about her father's return with her cousin in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Edgar consent to allow Cathy to make a visit to Linton in Chapter 25? Is this a wise choice?
3. How has Cathy's relationship with Linton progressed in Chapter 25?
4. Where is Linton taken in Chapter 20? How does he feel about his circumstances?
5. What causes the uproar when Catherine and Hareton rearrange the garden at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 33?
6. How does Nelly respond to Catherine's disobedience in Chapter 18?
7. How does Mrs. Dean describe the encounter between Catherine and Linton at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 23?
8. How is Linton described in Chapter 19? How does Catherine feel about him?
9. What deception of Catherine's does Nelly discover in Chapter 24?
10. When does Chapter 32 take place? What does Mr. Lockwood encounter when he approaches Wuthering Heights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the changes in the narrative style of Wuthering Heights that occur in Chapter 4. How does the narrative shift when Mrs. Dean begins telling her story? How does the language style of Nelly’s narration differ from Mr. Lockwood’s? Why do you think the author chooses to make this narrative shift?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of longing, violence, and abuse in Wuthering Heights. In what ways are the themes of longing and abuse connected in the novel? What are some examples of symbolism and imagery that reflect these themes? How are these themes developed through Hindley’s character following the death of Frances?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of religion, morality, and hypocrisy seen in Wuthering Heights. Which of these themes do you think is represented by Joseph’s character? Why? How do the themes of religion and morality interconnect? How do they differ? Who behaves in a hypocritical manner in the story?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)