|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapon does Hindley threaten Nelly with in Chapter 9?
2. What Shakespearean play is alluded to in Chapter 2 when Mr. Lockwood is held down by Mr. Heathcliff's dogs?
3. What is the name of Isabella's springer spaniel that is caught up and choking from a handkerchief in Chapter 12?
4. What does Mrs. Dean say is the maiden name of the girl Catherine living at Mr. Heathcliff's home in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of Catherine Earnshaw's older brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Lockwood greeted when he arrives at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 2?
2. In what year does the novel begin? Where is Mr. Lockwood when his character is first introduced?
3. What leads to Catherine and Heathcliff's disappearance in Chapter 6?
4. How does Mrs. Dean describe the histories of Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange in Chapter 4?
5. How much time has passed since Isabella's disappearance in Chapter 13? What happened during this time?
6. What causes the conflicts in the Earnshaw household that Mrs. Dean describes in Chapter 5?
7. What events and circumstances at Wuthering Heights does Nelly learn about in Chapter 17?
8. How is Mr. Heathcliff's estate described in Chapter 1? Where is this estate in relation to Thrushcross Grange?
9. What causes the conflict between Heathcliff and Edgar in Chapter 7? How is Heathcliff punished?
10. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changes in the Earnshaw household after the birth of Hareton in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of women’s oppression in Wuthering Heights. What are some examples of situations in the novel where a woman is forced into a choice whereas she might have more options if she were a man? What criticisms did the novel receive when it was published in this regard? What were the rights, expectations, and social roles of women in the 18th and early 19th centuries in England?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the characters of Hindley Earnshaw and Heathcliff. What is the root of the rivalry that develops between Heathcliff and Hindley? How does this rivalry escalate? What efforts might have been made to change their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Mr. Lockwood in the novel. How old is Mr. Lockwood? Why did he come to live at Thrushcross Grange? Where did he live prior to this? What are Mr. Lockwood’s impressions of his host at Wuthering Heights? What do you think is the significance of Mr. Lockwood’s name?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)