|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after childbirth does Catherine die in Chapter 16?
2. Where does Heathcliff tell Nelly he will stay the night and wait for further word about Catherine's condition in Chapter 15?
3. How old is Hindley when Heathcliff is brought into the Earnshaw home?
4. During what month does Mr. Earnshaw die in Chapter 5?
5. On what day of the week is Catherine's funeral in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heathcliff respond when Nelly informs him of Catherine's death in Chapter 16?
2. How is Mr. Heathcliff's estate described in Chapter 1? Where is this estate in relation to Thrushcross Grange?
3. How long does Catherine stay at Thrushcross Grange in Chapter 7? How is she different when she returns to Wuthering Heights?
4. What causes the conflict between Heathcliff and Edgar in Chapter 7? How is Heathcliff punished?
5. What leads Nelly to visit the Heights in Chapter 11? What does she encounter when she arrives there?
6. What is foreshadowed through Isabella's behavior toward Heathcliff in Chapter 10?
7. What is the cause of the conflict between Catherine and Heathcliff in Chapter 8?
8. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changes in the Earnshaw household after the birth of Hareton in Chapter 8?
9. What revelations does Heathcliff make to Nelly of his motivations in Chapter 14?
10. What causes the conflict when Mr. Lockwood leaves Wuthering Heights in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation that Catherine undergoes while staying with the Lintons. How do the Lintons treat Catherine differently than her own family? How do the Lintons go about creating these changes in Catherine’s demeanor? What imagery is used to illustrate this change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Victorian beliefs regarding the supernatural and the depictions of the supernatural in Wuthering Heights. What were common beliefs during this period in regards to ghosts and haunting? Do you think that the readers of Victorian England would have believed it possible to be haunted by a ghost? How do you think reader perceptions differ today?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of Heathcliff’s early childhood in Wuthering Heights. Where does Mr. Earnshaw find Heathcliff? How is Heathcliff’s appearance described? Based on the author’s descriptions of Heathcliff as a child, what is his likely history prior to being discovered by Mr. Lockwood? Do you think it is appropriate for Mr. Lockwood to bring the child home?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)