|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Mr. Lockwood to the chapel in his dream in Chapter 3?
2. What weapon does Hindley threaten Nelly with in Chapter 9?
3. What year does Mr. Lockwood see on the gate to Mr. Heathcliff's estate in Chapter 1?
4. Who are the children that are fighting at Thrushcross Grange when Heathcliff and Catherine go there in Chapter 6?
5. Who is Catherine's brother married to in the diary entries from Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changes in the Earnshaw household after the birth of Hareton in Chapter 8?
2. How does Heathcliff respond to Catherine when she accuses him of using Isabella to hurt her in Chapter 11?
3. In what year does the novel begin? Where is Mr. Lockwood when his character is first introduced?
4. How does Mrs. Dean describe Catherine's behavior when she first encounters her in her room in Chapter 12?
5. How is Mr. Heathcliff's estate described in Chapter 1? Where is this estate in relation to Thrushcross Grange?
6. What revelations does Heathcliff make to Nelly of his motivations in Chapter 14?
7. How does Mrs. Dean describe the early days of Catherine's marriage to Edgar in Chapter 10? What conflict is introduced?
8. What events and circumstances at Wuthering Heights does Nelly learn about in Chapter 17?
9. How long does Catherine stay at Thrushcross Grange in Chapter 7? How is she different when she returns to Wuthering Heights?
10. What is the cause of the conflict between Catherine and Heathcliff in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the transformation that Heathcliff undergoes in the end of the novel. What are Nelly’s perceptions of the changes in Heathcliff? Do you think that Heathcliff reaches happiness after he dies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Thrushcross Grange in the novel. How far is Thrushcross Grange from Wuthering Heights? What is the foliage like around the estate? How old is this house? What kind of atmosphere do you sense regarding the setting in Chapter 1? What role does this setting play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Heathcliff’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the pursuit of his revenge. Why does Heathcliff choose this particular point in time to kidnap Nelly and Catherine? How does this further his objective of revenge?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)