|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the son that Isabella gives birth to in the south of England?
2. What word from Chapter 14 refers to a name or title?
3. Where does Mr. Earnshaw discover Heathcliff as an orphan?
4. In what country is Wuthering Heights set?
5. Whom does Mrs. Dean describe as "the wearisomest self-righteous Pharisee that ever ransacked a Bible to rake the promises to himself and fling the curses to his neighbours" in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nelly encounter when she travels to Wuthering Heights in Chapter 14?
2. What secret does Catherine tell Nelly in Chapter 9? Why is Catherine conflicted about this secret?
3. What leads Nelly to visit the Heights in Chapter 11? What does she encounter when she arrives there?
4. How is Mr. Heathcliff's estate described in Chapter 1? Where is this estate in relation to Thrushcross Grange?
5. What causes the conflict between Heathcliff and Edgar in Chapter 7? How is Heathcliff punished?
6. How does Heathcliff respond to Catherine when she accuses him of using Isabella to hurt her in Chapter 11?
7. What leads to Catherine and Heathcliff's disappearance in Chapter 6?
8. How does Heathcliff respond when Nelly informs him of Catherine's death in Chapter 16?
9. What revelations does Heathcliff make to Nelly of his motivations in Chapter 14?
10. What is the cause of the conflict between Catherine and Heathcliff in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Catherine Linton (the younger). How does young Catherine compare with her mother? In what ways are Catherine and her mother different? Whom does Nelly prefer of the mother and daughter? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Heathcliff’s role as “the outsider” in Wuthering Heights. In what ways does Heathcliff differ in appearance from his adopted siblings at the Earnshaw home? Is Heathcliff treated differently due to his appearance? How does Heathcliff differ in terms of his education, manners, and social expectations? How does this influence his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the changes in the narrative style of Wuthering Heights that occur in Chapter 4. How does the narrative shift when Mrs. Dean begins telling her story? How does the language style of Nelly’s narration differ from Mr. Lockwood’s? Why do you think the author chooses to make this narrative shift?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)