|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nelly go to fetch the doctor after Mr. Earnshaw dies in Chapter 5?
2. What word used in Chapter 5 refers to a depraved or wicked person?
3. What does Nelly send the man-servant to buy in the village for Catherine in Chapter 15?
4. What does young Hareton do when he first sees Nelly outside of his family's home in Chapter 11?
5. Who is the dirty and savage child that Isabella greets when she first arrives at Wuthering Heights in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heathcliff respond when Nelly informs him of Catherine's death in Chapter 16?
2. What causes the conflict between Heathcliff and Edgar in Chapter 7? How is Heathcliff punished?
3. What is the cause of the conflict between Catherine and Heathcliff in Chapter 8?
4. How does Mrs. Dean describe the changes in the Earnshaw household after the birth of Hareton in Chapter 8?
5. What is foreshadowed through Isabella's behavior toward Heathcliff in Chapter 10?
6. What leads Nelly to visit the Heights in Chapter 11? What does she encounter when she arrives there?
7. How does Mrs. Dean describe the influence of Joseph in the Earnshaw household in Chapter 5?
8. How does Mrs. Dean describe Catherine's death in Chapter 16? When does Catherine die?
9. What takes place in the days following Edgar's ultimatum in Chapter 12?
10. What events and circumstances at Wuthering Heights does Nelly learn about in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation that Catherine undergoes while staying with the Lintons. How do the Lintons treat Catherine differently than her own family? How do the Lintons go about creating these changes in Catherine’s demeanor? What imagery is used to illustrate this change?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Mrs. Nelly Dean in Wuthering Heights. How old is Mrs. Dean when she relates the history of the estate to Mr. Lockwood? When did Nelly come to live at the estate? What relationship did Nelly have with each of the Catherines in the story? Do you consider Nelly to be a likeable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the transformation that Heathcliff undergoes in the end of the novel. What are Nelly’s perceptions of the changes in Heathcliff? Do you think that Heathcliff reaches happiness after he dies? Why or why not?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)